Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default New CDMA Devices Nice but Disappointing

I like the look and the amount of new devices being brought to the CDMA platform, but I can't help being disappointed. There is nothing that compares to the Torch with the slide-out QWERTY keyboard, and the time frame will be horrible if the new iPhone 5 comes out, and all the new Droid devices coming out. I like the offering of the touchscreen varieties, but I just want something that is on the Torch level. Something with a full touchscreen, but has the option of a keyboard for e-mails and texting. Maybe I will like the new Bold Touch "Montana", but I doubt it. Just want a full screen touch phone with a slide-out keyboard. I love BB's and wish I could just own a Torch, but I refuse to use AT&T in any form.
    CrackBerry Addict

These threads are really getting silly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanked by 2:
    Culex316 (01-28-2011),  rick0415 (01-28-2011) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Care to explain yourself?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,629 Global Posts

Remember, the Torch was designed by RIM on AT&T's request. If AT&T had not asked RIM for this type of device I don't think we would have ever seen it.

If no slide out keyboard is a deal breaker I quess you'll have to go Android for your next phone. BlackBerry really had never been about slide out keyboards so I would not hold your breathe for one anytime soon.

JMO
    4.7.0.148 --> 5.0.0.328 --> 5.0.0.419 --> 5.0.0.797 --> 5.0.0.973 --> 5.0.0.1041

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,641 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES

Red face

Not me. I'm excited for the two CDMA touch screen devices - the Monaco and even though it pains me to say this - the touch screen Curve which was the last device listed. Since Sprint execs get all excited when the name "Curve" is dropped, I'm guessing Sprint will for sure get that one but the Monaco is the one I want. Guess we'll see if Sprint gets one or not.

By then, my upgrade will be gone and I'll have to wait until November or December to get one since Sprint is doing away with their Premier upgrade program.

To quote the philosopher Jagger, "You can't always get what you want."
    God save us all. Go Sharks.

Yes, I am a woman and I like hockey. Deal with it.
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

Quote Originally Posted by valorian View Post
    If no slide out keyboard is a deal breaker I quess you'll have to go Android for your next phone. BlackBerry really had never been about slide out keyboards so I would not hold your breathe for one anytime soon.

JMO
    +1...Motorola does a really good touch/slider!!!! BlackBerry has always done physical keyboard based devices well; their attempt at touchscreen has been lackluster at best.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    PIN
    328689E5

I agree these threads are getting silly. I want a 9780 but im on Sprint. Maybe I should open a thread and complain to no end about why I cant get a 9780 on CDMA. If you want the phone that bad then switch to ATT! If you refuse to use ATT then dont get a Torch and be done with it. They are releasing several great devices in 2011 but the first thing we always see on here is "Rims new lineup a letdown" or "to little to late" or " rim is dying" . Cant the ones of us who love BB chat about the great things to come without seeing all this negative crap?
    CrackBerry Addict

I personally think this is a Great set of Devices. Hands down these are what I needed to see. You don't want one, good. That leaves more for Myself, and people who want Quality Devices, that produce results, and get things Done.

I am also excited for this Touch Screen Bold. It's Basically the Tour 3, International Phone. It's what I've been waiting for (Even though I will not use the Touch Screen.) Good Job RIM. These are the phones that I wanted to See.

Thanked by:
    BayouBengal21 (01-28-2011) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Well for all the ones apparently mad about what I wrote, get off of this thread. I like to just put things out for for general discussion, but you guys sound like you designed these devices and have had your feelings hurt. I love BB, but if everyone who thinks something might be a little better, kept quite, then the companies wouldn't ever get any feedback and would never know what the consumers want. I'm sorry that you guys have issues with people expressing their opinion.
    Thanked by 4:
    howarmat (01-28-2011),  pcgizmo (01-28-2011),  Rello (01-28-2011),  TheScionicMan (01-28-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,955 Global Posts

I'm not disappointed, I look forward to acquiring one of these new devices. I guess the glass if half empty for you.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

A fanatic is one who won't change his mind...or the subject.
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts

I respect your opinion.. But to be honest.. We don't care if you're disappointed. I'm getting tired of these spec junkies coming in here saying what Android is about to do. NOBODY cares. People who use Blackberry use it for what it does best.. MESSAGING! Is a dual core processor REALLY going to help me bang out emails faster? NO! My suggestion to you.. Is to get in where you fit in.. Find a phone that works for you. That way you don't have to worry about what xyz is putting in a phone

Thanked by 2:
    BayouBengal21 (01-28-2011),  Culex316 (01-28-2011) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

I really could care less about specs, didn't really say much about specs. I know some, but not enough to really base my decision on it. That's is why I said I would like a phone similar to a Torch, because what BB has always been about is business purposes, which require a lot of e-mail and/or texting. Which is why I have been loyal with my 8330 because it has served me well over the last 3 years. I like all of the new phones, just with all the new technology, I would have preferred to see something with a full touchscreen and have the option of a physical keyboard.

Global Posts
    23,396 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Flavor View Post
    I respect your opinion.. But to be honest.. We don't care if you're disappointed. I'm getting tired of these spec junkies coming in here saying what Android is about to do. NOBODY cares. People who use Blackberry use it for what it does best.. MESSAGING! Is a dual core processor REALLY going to help me bang out emails faster? NO! My suggestion to you.. Is to get in where you fit in.. Find a phone that works for you. That way you don't have to worry about what xyz is putting in a phone

Who said anything about specs? the poor guy/gal just wants a CDMA phone like a torch. I am sure many people do actually. So i think PEOPLE DO CARE actually and they DO have the right to express their opinions about wanting a phone like this.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    Thanked by 2:
    NobleSix (01-28-2011),  ZMc1834 (01-28-2011) 
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

It's more about RIM being behind the times again. RIM has been making lots of noise over QNX and VZW over LTE. Hmmmm, now let's see, oh yeah: No QNX, No LTE and you have to wait 'til Q3 of '11? Pfft.

But hey, text messages they can handle. lol
    Thanked by:
    dutchtender (01-28-2011) 
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,184 Global Posts

I think about everyone in this thread has a point. So happens the OP was/is one of the few who aren't disappointed and blaming the specs. Anyhow, to the OP, while the Montana isn't the Torch, it's going to be one kick arse device. It may be the compromise between touch & physical qwertry that you've been looking for. Could there be a CDMA version of the Torch coming? Yes. But plans change every so often and there's been lots of devices that haven't made it out of R&D.
    Thanked by 3:
    bighap (01-28-2011),  Culex316 (01-28-2011),  howarmat (01-28-2011) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

I've posted this in another thread today, and as I have posted there, I look forward to going and testing out the Montana at the stores. I like the fact that everyone here has passion, and you can see and feel that they mean what they say. I just want everyone to respect each others opinions and take it for what it is, just an opinion. I like to put my opinions out there because I like to hear other peoples ideas and maybe it will spark something in BB themselves, doubt it since it is just a random forum thread, but who knows, maybe BB has R&D people that read forums to see what their customers are expressing.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,133 Global Posts

... We don't care if you're disappointed. I'm getting tired of these spec junkies coming in here saying what Android is about to do. NOBODY cares. People who use Blackberry use it for what it does best.. MESSAGING! Is a dual core processor REALLY going to help me bang out emails faster? NO! My suggestion to you.. Is to get in where you fit in.. Find a phone that works for you. That way you don't have to worry about what xyz is putting in a phone

Stop with the royal "we", ok? You don't speak for me, or for a huge number of people on this board.

I care about other people's opinions, and their reasoning, because it's an opportunity for me to learn or see things from another point of view.

I don't use Blackberry just for messaging - I also use it for music, games and other apps. As per RIM's own marketing material.

And before you go on about business users, that's exactly what I am. But I also have a life.

So my suggestion for you, and all the other high-and-mighty Blackberry dictators is - open your minds to other points of view. Your world has changed so go get a hug, have come chamomile tea, take a Prozac or do what you have to do to chill out and open your minds. And then stop telling people like myself and the OP why we want our Berries and what we do with them.

And my second suggestion is, if you don't like the thread then don't read it.

I can't stand the arrogance in this type of comment.

- R.
    Last edited by Rooster99; 01-28-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    Thanked by 7:
    avt123 (01-28-2011),  dutchtender (01-28-2011),  howarmat (01-28-2011),  Rello (01-28-2011),  TheScionicMan (01-28-2011),  ZMc1834 (01-28-2011) 

Global Posts
    30,890 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

My next device will be the Montana, OR if I make the switch to the GSM "darkside" the Dakota, THAT is the best of both worlds for me. While I CAN see the appeal of the slider and the larger screen area, more moving parts equals more parts that can break! And it's just so much quicker to pop my bold in my hand and bang out a quick text or email, or BBM. And having touch just enhances what it can do, I see that as more of a bonus, bells and whistles, maybe, good for gaming. BUT I'm some glad I came home to the Bold line!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,979 Global Posts

I don't think I could be any more excited for a phone than I am for the Dakota. That being said, I can see what the OP is saying and I don't think they were trying to start a fight but are just honestly interested in a cdma version of the torch.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSunshine View Post
    Not me. I'm excited for the two CDMA touch screen devices - the Monaco and even though it pains me to say this - the touch screen Curve which was the last device listed. Since Sprint execs get all excited when the name "Curve" is dropped, I'm guessing Sprint will for sure get that one but the Monaco is the one I want. Guess we'll see if Sprint gets one or not.

By then, my upgrade will be gone and I'll have to wait until November or December to get one since Sprint is doing away with their Premier upgrade program.

To quote the philosopher Jagger, "You can't always get what you want."
    Sure you can. Just have to pay for it.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    CrackBerry Abuser

The phones are disappointing but also not disappointing. They are disappointing in that they are obviously devices that should have been released last year (which would have been utterly fantastic), but the fact that they are releasing later this year it's kind of playing catch up. Also I'm no spec wh0re but lets not act like specs aren't what drive software, and if there is anything BB needs it's better software. Also I despise this crazy little bubble the RIM heads live in where they are waiting for dual core (even though efficient dual core chips are readily available) to support QNX, when the truth in reality is that they simply don't have QNX anywhere near ready to run on phones. So in a year where android phones are advancing to the next generation, and apple is taking it even further with the iphone 5 apparently (dual core cpu AND gpu), it's just upsetting (because I like blackberry) to see that they are releasing phones with 2010 specs for the most part. I mean the most appealing one, the montana/dakota won't even come out for a bunch of months, and we ALL know what's happening in June whether you like it or not....so they best get it out soon.

But with that disappointment aside lets see the positives. These phones are clearly tons better than anything RIM has done, and to me the dakota looks like the IDEAL blackberry. Bigger screen for web browsing, touch screen for menu navigation as well as web browsing again and when you have no apps the web browsing experience better be goddamn awesome, which is hopefully what 6.1 does. It's the one phone I'd actually consider getting. I've used the iphone and I love it, now I'm on a network that doesn't support it so I'm using Android which is pretty good too but I think the dakota might lure me back to experimenting with BB again. But we all know what's going to happen right, we'll get it, then 8 months latter QNX dual core devices will come out.

Actually this is RIM, that will probably take another 2 years, happy buying!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    Sure you can. Just have to pay for it.

No still not possible, somethings I still can't get even if I am willing to pay
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    56,010 Global Posts

Too bad nothing like the torch is coming. That is what I really want 1. A larger screen so I don't have to squint. I'll take a slide out keyboard for other things.

AT&T's service is not good where I live so that isn't a choice.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts

WE.. As in RIM & I. We DON'T care. You have options. Like I said.. get in where you fit in. I'm not bashing the OP.. I respect where he/she is coming from. About the specs.. I'm speaking to the people who will be rushing to come in here with negative intentions. So next time you quote me.. Make sure you study my words carefully.. Find out my intentions.. & keep me within context.. Because in the REAL world you might have a lawsuit. Who wants to hear someone complain about a phone, when millions of people don't even HAVE a phone! & another thing! If BB wasn't **** as a messaging phone, you wouldn't be using it! Now take your cape off.. & go tap, swipe, & slide your keyboard out on that!-$

Last edited by West Coast Flavor; 01-28-2011 at 01:08 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,184 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dooodads View Post
    The phones are disappointing but also not disappointing. They are disappointing in that they are obviously devices that should have been released last year (which would have been utterly fantastic), but the fact that they are releasing later this year it's kind of playing catch up. Also I'm no spec wh0re but lets not act like specs aren't what drive software, and if there is anything BB needs it's better software. Also I despise this crazy little bubble the RIM heads live in where they are waiting for dual core (even though efficient dual core chips are readily available) to support QNX, when the truth in reality is that they simply don't have QNX anywhere near ready to run on phones. So in a year where android phones are advancing to the next generation, and apple is taking it even further with the iphone 5 apparently (dual core cpu AND gpu), it's just upsetting (because I like blackberry) to see that they are releasing phones with 2010 specs for the most part. I mean the most appealing one, the montana/dakota won't even come out for a bunch of months, and we ALL know what's happening in June whether you like it or not....so they best get it out soon.

But with that disappointment aside lets see the positives. These phones are clearly tons better than anything RIM has done, and to me the dakota looks like the IDEAL blackberry. Bigger screen for web browsing, touch screen for menu navigation as well as web browsing again and when you have no apps the web browsing experience better be goddamn awesome, which is hopefully what 6.1 does. It's the one phone I'd actually consider getting. I've used the iphone and I love it, now I'm on a network that doesn't support it so I'm using Android which is pretty good too but I think the dakota might lure me back to experimenting with BB again. But we all know what's going to happen right, we'll get it, then 8 months latter QNX dual core devices will come out.

Actually this is RIM, that will probably take another 2 years, happy buying!
    "Efficient dual core chips are readily available"??? Really? I'm inclined to disagree. AT&T is having a fit with the Atrix in the lab right now. Its in no way Efficient. Now by the time it comes to market it will be much better than its current state, but power management is definitely not going to be its strong point. Most of the Android devices out there have sub-par battery life(Incredible, Captivate, etc). Not all of them do, but most.

I'm not disagreeing with everything you're saying, but let's don't say dual-core chips are efficient when they definitely are not. This will change but much firmware dev is ahead as the software must be re-written(parallelism, threads) & optimized.

As for QNX, its highly scalable and will run like a dream on HandHelds. But its going to take work(currently in testing).

I'm on WAP but will love to continue this convo after work..

Thanked by:
    UrbanGlowCam (01-28-2011) 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast