Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Re: New BlackBerry 10.0.9.903 Build Hands-on!

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare21 View Post
    Hey Shao,

This is interesting, considering the OS is not fully baked. Is there any information out there as to what happens if a process hangs, how the OS handles it, including if the process restarts auto or the user has to re-invoke that process or something?
    "The key is in the multi-kernel: if you hit a process and it does not execute properly, the icon goes grey, but the device carries on working. Just that one process gets restarted. It has a wonderful recovery process; it blocks this one process and the others continue to flow. It goes deep into the technology of the microkernel multi-threading process, and that allows us to have an immensely reliable system."
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2B7B5318

Quote Originally Posted by mithrazor View Post
    It's not how many times I have to reboot that's my problem.

It's how long the boot is. Regardless of when or how often I do it.
    I agree with this very much. Bottom line is I don't expect a modern "next gen" OS to take 5 minutes to boot up lol. It's a inconvenience...even if it only happened once a week. I'm confident RIM will address this though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shao128 View Post
    Since there has been some discussion on reboots, just thought I'd throw this in here, take it for what it's worth....

Quote from Thorsten:

Source: Thorsten Heins interview Pt 2: Secrets of BlackBerry 10 | Marklives!com
    I remember Thor saying this and it makes me happy that he hasn't had to restart it but at same time, this is how the PlayBook operates isn't it? I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to compare the Tablet OS to BBOS because they aren't even in the same league but even though I don't have to restart my Playbook often because it just restarts them certain problem applications, there are times when it just freezes up and the boot up time is sometimes even longer than my 9900. Being that this is something BB users have complained about for years, it's something that would be nice to see finally fixed
    QNX and LTE, hand me a pen and let's do this.
    **Taken from The Engine**

Yes I am black...and yes I LOVE grape Kool Aid. I can't blame u for judging me

- Durrell pin:2B7B5318
    *Please do not add me if you frequently send broadcast messages or you barely talk, aka "one word messages"

Quote Originally Posted by Shao128 View Post
    Since there has been some discussion on reboots, just thought I'd throw this in here, take it for what it's worth....

Quote from Thorsten:

Source: Thorsten Heins interview Pt 2: Secrets of BlackBerry 10 | Marklives!com
    That is a great little (or not so little) nugget that will make BB10 a great device.
    I'm Rambling in Rehab and Be 5000
    Need help? Just ask.
    Want to know how to do stuff here on the forums? Try the Forum Help Videos & Guides sections.

CrackBerry Addict

Btw, We, at Indonesia, try to push the update button at BB10AD, but it seems that the update is available for outside of Indonesia, perhaps. Untill today, none of BB10AD has the update.
    sent from anywhere
    @isatbb@isatbbplg
    #mybb10
    #BB10Believe
    Blog: bb10believe.blogspot.com

HONK! IF YOU WANT BLACKBERRY 10

9380, Black and White Z10, LG Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 520
    Thanked by:
    jmbel13 (11-12-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,860 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

Default New BlackBerry 10.0.9.903 Build Hands-on!

Quote Originally Posted by aragone79 View Post
    Btw, We, at Indonesia, try to push the update button at BB10AD, but it seems that the update is available for outside of Indonesia, perhaps. Untill today, none of BB10AD has the update.
    No one has got this build....yet,its still internal but should be released soon.

Sent from my BlackBerry By Choice Tapatalk
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by BB-Bmore View Post
    No one has got this build....yet,its still internal but should be released soon.

Sent from my BlackBerry By Choice Tapatalk
    It's glad to hear that. Perhaps when bb jam at bangkok, this update will comes up I hope

Sent from my BlackBerry 9020 using Tapatalk
    sent from anywhere
    @isatbb@isatbbplg
    #mybb10
    #BB10Believe
    Blog: bb10believe.blogspot.com

HONK! IF YOU WANT BLACKBERRY 10

9380, Black and White Z10, LG Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 520
    CrackBerry Abuser

"RIM needs to figure out where to be the enabler, and where to utilise our own servers. But the opportunity is huge: mobile computing, end-point management, API’s created to add sensors to devices, using the mobile data network for distribution – basically any vertical application where we think we have a play, and where we can use our push and compression services.

Smartphones and tablets part of it, but they are not the only purpose of the company."

i love it.
    Patiently waited for BB10. Now sporting AT&T Z10
    CrackBerry Abuser

have had to do battery pulls on 9800 and 9860 but not for some time now. Hopefully this means upgrades have fixed issues.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,931 Global Posts
    PIN
    2BD8C4F9

If security checks entail a longer boot time than would otherwise be the case, I don't mind. The main thing, to me, is that if the OS is stable enough, I can do a reboot at my convenience, as opposed to having to reboot because the OS has ground to a halt and I need to get something done right away. What was, and is, occasionally frustrating about the long BBOS boot time was the latter scenario.

If BB10 lives up to its promise, I can do the occasional "maintenance" reboot every few weeks, and it would be sheer vanity to pretend that I can never spare five minutes for this. My empires won't crumble. If, on the other hand, BB10 needs frequent reboots because it's not working right, it won't be much consolation if boot time is short.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,318 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gtpointer View Post
    Great argument there. Really furthered the discussion.

This is a better argument. I agree you can't totally eliminate them, but the significance of a 5 minute boot time when you have to reboot once a month is far less than a 5 minute boot time when you have to reboot once every couple of days. So short of the once a month reboot being under time pressured circumstances, I don't see how it's a problem. Obviously it would be preferable but it doesn't matter in the sense that it shouldn't affect your purchasing decision.
    How about a boot time comparable with the competition? Which in the case of an iPad 2/Mini or Samsung Galaxy 3 means less than 30 seconds once every couple of months in the iPads case, and once or twice a month in the SGS3s case.

Seriously, it seems like there's quite a few people out there who don't really understand just how FAR BEHIND the old BBOS 6 and 7 really are... Like with reboots and boot times for example...
    CrackBerry Genius

Boot time on the Dev Alpha is really fast now, and I think they are making improvements to it. It should be comparable to the competition at launch.
    CrackBerry Addict

how fast exactly, have you timed it?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Just did a battery pull on my Dev Alpha B and timed it at exactly one min for boot time.
    My BB10 Cascades Coding Site: http://BBcascades.com/ Blog: http://bbcascadescode.tumblr.com/

My Apps: The Dive Plan | Visual Connection | Combo Pics | Beer Math | Random Stories | Logic Puzzles | camZOO

Oh ya... And I write for some website called "CrackBerry"... check out my posts here
    Thanked by:
    redk (11-12-2012) 
    mithrazor likes this.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,320 Global Posts
    PIN
    Pin Point Accuracy

What is the default font on that device, please, anyone?
    Instagram: @naviwilliamsinc
    Twitter: @naviwilliams
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    What is the default font on that device, please, anyone?
    Slate Pro
    My BB10 Cascades Coding Site: http://BBcascades.com/ Blog: http://bbcascadescode.tumblr.com/

My Apps: The Dive Plan | Visual Connection | Combo Pics | Beer Math | Random Stories | Logic Puzzles | camZOO

Oh ya... And I write for some website called "CrackBerry"... check out my posts here
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by bcs925 View Post
    Just did a battery pull on my Dev Alpha B and timed it at exactly one min for boot time.
    Thats not bad, I can live with that. Especialy since the need for reboots will be minimal.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by CrackedBarry View Post
    How about a boot time comparable with the competition? Which in the case of an iPad 2/Mini or Samsung Galaxy 3 means less than 30 seconds once every couple of months in the iPads case, and once or twice a month in the SGS3s case.

Seriously, it seems like there's quite a few people out there who don't really understand just how FAR BEHIND the old BBOS 6 and 7 really are... Like with reboots and boot times for example...
    I understand how far it is behind in terms of needing reboots, which is why I said it's good it's been fixed. I also said it's good that reboot time has been improved. What I also said, is that the less you need to reboot, the less reboot time matters (if I need to reboot something once a year, will I care if it takes 20 mins? No, I'd do it whilst having a bath or something). Also, whilst people have been put off BBs because of rebooting to install apps and to deal with crashes and so got frustrated with the boot up time, rebooting isn't necessary in the same way with BB10 so people aren't going to say "I'm not buying that phone because once every fortnight I'm going to have to do something else for 5 minutes" (for me on the PB it's 3 mins every month or so) I don't understand why it is so difficult to understand: fast boot time is nice, but not essential. It's not going to lure back consumers. Lots of iphone buyers probably have a) no idea how idea how to reboot their phone and b) no idea how long it takes. RIM should be selling an experience on the phone not a tech spec like reboot time.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by bcs925 View Post
    Boot time has been reduced to 45 seconds in the latest builds. Whether it goes down further is yet to be seen.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12