Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default New BB10 phones just the beginning, RIM exec says

WATERLOO—Two new BlackBerries being showcased on Jan. 30 “are just the beginning” of the transformation of pioneering smartphone maker Research In Motion Ltd., chief operating officer Kristian Tear said Wednesday.

RIM’s portfolio of mobile computing offerings based on the QNX operating system will expand “as time goes by,” said Tear, whose position was created by chief executive Thorsten Heins after he took the helm at the start of the year. Tear said the initial devices, one with a touch screen and the other maintaining RIM’s popular physical keyboard, but with enhanced intuitive and multilingual capabilities, could be followed by other phones possibly with varying prices and features.

Tear said part of his role is to oversee a flawless launch of the new handsets, software and platform collectively known as BlackBerry 10 and to avoid the delays and missteps that have hampered RIM in the recent past. Analysts have also said RIM must avoid glitches, such as the problems with maps that marred the rollout of Apple Inc.’s latest iPhone.

The final version of the first two devices due in January is expected to exclude a home button but add a notification light that flashes when message arrive. Details including pricing and distribution arrangements among carriers will be unveiled in January and Tear said the new phone and software will be on store shelves soon after the launch, and will be launched in countries around the globe simultaneously. Tear acknowledged that a lot is riding on the phones and platform after RIM’s lack of new devices triggered a plunge in U.S. market share over the past two years, adding that he is confident RIM can be turned around.

He said local rollout dates are subject to carrier discretion, with up to 60 global carriers currently testing the devices for technical certification. Tear said RIM’s existing BB7 smartphones, leaders in developing markets including Indonesia and Nigeria, will remain in the company’s lineup for the foreseeable future.

The company on Wednesday also said it will offer free voice calling over a Wi-Fi network using the popular BBM messaging service, an update available for customer s using the BlackBerry 6 operating system or higher.

Tear said RIM takes a broad view of the potential of the new platform that Heins has said could support mobile computing applications in cars, appliances and industrial setting in addition to phones and tablets.

“We want to be the leader in mobile computing,” Tear said.

He said the two new phones, rumored to be L Series devices under the London code name, offer unique and innovative features that set them apart from rival offerings such as the iPhone and Android handsets, adding that he believes the BB10 interface with its message hub and app multitasking using a flow and hide feature is the best in the business. BB10 will not require users to repeatedly switch between apps, but allow them to hide and reveal the programs with the flick of a thumb.

Tear also said that BB10 will offer more apps that any other operating system has at launch.

The company has been criticized for a lack of apps compared to the iPhone and Samsung Android offerings but Tear, while not specifying numbers, said the problem has been solved “big time. We will have quality and quantity,” he added.

The COO said RIM is focused on its ground game in launching BB10, meeting with customers around the world and engaging social media to augment a marketing push to accompany the launch.
    New BB10 phones just the beginning, RIM exec says - thestar.com
    Thanked by 9:
    aragone79 (11-15-2012),  Blacklatino (11-14-2012),  bungaboy (11-14-2012),  DuexNoir (11-14-2012),  Omar Diamond (11-14-2012),  Shanerredflag (11-14-2012),  SilkySunshine (11-14-2012),  Zildjian71 (11-16-2012),  zyben (11-14-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Nothing new we havent heard but its very reassuring that everyone is singing the same song and shares the same vision. Also, i like the fact that RIM is so vocal about their behind the scenes activities. More of this and marketing, I really dont see how BB10 wont be a success.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    SilkySunshine likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

The company has been criticized for a lack of apps compared to the iPhone and Samsung Android offerings but Tear, while not specifying numbers, said the problem has been solved “big time. We will have quality and quantity,” he added.

I am liking the confidence shown here, this is a new RIM. RIM is completely taking control of the news cycle here!
    Follow the breadcrumb trail of RIM's epic comeback with BB10BelieveIt on Twitter at @CrumbsObserver

Global Posts
    10,250 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me. :)

I have to agree with both of you. I'm actually lookng forward to getting a BB10 device.
    Yes, Anger Management does work. 5th time is the charm.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,676 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcsemcp View Post

The final version of the first two devices due in January is expected to exclude a home button but add a notification light that flashes when message arrive. Details including pricing and distribution arrangements among carriers will be unveiled in January and Tear said the new phone and software will be on store shelves soon after the launch, and will be launched in countries around the globe simultaneously. Tear acknowledged that a lot is riding on the phones and platform after RIM’s lack of new devices triggered a plunge in U.S. market share over the past two years, adding that he is confident RIM can be turned around.
    I raised my brow when I read that sentence. I thought for a second they were talking about the iPhone. lol The BB never had a "home button". It had a Blackberry Menu button, not that not even close to being a "home button". As for having a notification light, it has always had a notification light, so I don't know why they would say "add". As for even mentioning that the BB will have a notification light is like saying the cellphone will be able to make phone calls, then again, with Apple making different sized iPods that can or can't make phone calls, I could see how it might be important to stress that the notification light will still be present.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,125 Global Posts
    PIN
    79ac4611

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4life View Post
    I raised my brow when I read that sentence. I thought for a second they were talking about the iPhone. lol The BB never had a "home button". It had a Blackberry Menu button, not that not even close to being a "home button".
    The hangup button functions as a home button in just about everything but the phone app itself. It returns you to the home screen, usually leaving the app running.

As for having a notification light, it has always had a notification light, so I don't know why they would say "add". As for even mentioning that the BB will have a notification light is like saying the cellphone will be able to make phone calls, then again, with Apple making different sized iPods that can or can't make phone calls, I could see how it might be important to stress that the notification light will still be present.
    I'm not sure...is the notification light present on the Dev Alpha devices? If not, it may be "added" relative to them. I don't have one, so I don't know.
    CrackBerry Abuser

"...but Tear, while not specifying numbers, said the problem has been solved “big time. We will have quality and quantity,” he added."

This will be one of the major aspects critics will scrutinize at launch.

"Tear also said that BB10 will offer more apps that any other operating system has at launch."

This is quite a strong statement. The execs must feel very confident with the number of apps they already have. If their confidence is true, then I'd venture to say the number of apps at launch will probably be over 100,000?

I raised my brow when I read that sentence. I thought for a second they were talking about the iPhone. lol The BB never had a "home button". It had a Blackberry Menu button, not that not even close to being a "home button". As for having a notification light, it has always had a notification light, so I don't know why they would say "add". As for even mentioning that the BB will have a notification light is like saying the cellphone will be able to make phone calls, then again, with Apple making different sized iPods that can or can't make phone calls, I could see how it might be important to stress that the notification light will still be present.
    I thought the same when I came across that statement.
    I use BB10...the blasphemy!
    pcguy514 likes this.

Global Posts
    5,283 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

That "just the beginning" line got me thinking back to a very interesting conversation I had a month or so ago...

I work for the small telco that serves northern Canada. We're implementing a new billing system and we've had some consultants in to help with that process. One night, I'd gone to the bar for our weekly "safety meeting" (nobody works, nobody gets hurt) and there was a new face among the consultants. When he introduced himself I asked what his background was and he said he'd been laid off from RIM (he had been in risk management, a team they likely find redundant).

The ensuing conversation was very interesting, though only marginally informative. He had left RIM on good terms, and spoke well of them. When I asked him about BB10 he just smiled very widely and said, "don't count them out yet". There was one detail he let slip, though: he had handled a working prototype of a phablet of all things...
    Thanked by 2:
    Harry_III_UK (11-16-2012),  mithrazor (11-15-2012) 
    00stryder likes this.

Global Posts
    10,250 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me. :)

Quote Originally Posted by DuexNoir View Post
    "...but Tear, while not specifying numbers, said the problem has been solved “big time. We will have quality and quantity,” he added."

This will be one of the major aspects critics will scrutinize at launch.

"Tear also said that BB10 will offer more apps that any other operating system has at launch."

This is quite a strong statement. The execs must feel very confident with the number of apps they already have. If their confidence is true, then I'd venture to say the number of apps at launch will probably be over 100,000?

I thought the same when I came across that statement.
    Make no mistake, the scrutiny will get turned up after the launch. After two years, RIM knows what is at stake here. BB10 may not be a homerun over the fence. But, it can't be a pop-up foul ball. Besides, most of us are ready for a LTE BlackBerry. As far as the apps, like most, I want the best apps available along with better than average battery life from Day 1
    Yes, Anger Management does work. 5th time is the charm.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Please feel free to ask :)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    That "just the beginning" line got me thinking back to a very interesting conversation I had a month or so ago...

I work for the small telco that serves northern Canada. We're implementing a new billing system and we've had some consultants in to help with that process. One night, I'd gone to the bar for our weekly "safety meeting" (nobody works, nobody gets hurt) and there was a new face among the consultants. When he introduced himself I asked what his background was and he said he'd been laid off from RIM (he had been in risk management, a team they likely find redundant).

The ensuing conversation was very interesting, though only marginally informative. He had left RIM on good terms, and spoke well of them. When I asked him about BB10 he just smiled very widely and said, "don't count them out yet". There was one detail he let slip, though: he had handled a working prototype of a phablet of all things...
    A series device?!? Or do you think something else?

I can't wait to find out what RIM has in store for these "other devices that will help them with this whole mobile computing vision they have
    QNX and LTE, hand me a pen and let's do this.
    **Taken from The Engine**

Yes I am black...and yes I LOVE grape Kool Aid. I can't blame u for judging me

- Durrell
    CrackBerry Addict

If I'm not mistaken, there 2 led shows up at London EU. All are in top of the screen, one in the left, and in the right. Sorry If I miss my sight.
    sent from anywhere
    @isatbb@isatbbplg
    #mybb10
    #BB10Believe
    Blog: bb10believe.blogspot.com

HONK! IF YOU WANT BLACKBERRY 10

9380, Black and White Z10, LG Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 520

Global Posts
    5,283 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by Rello View Post
    A series device?!? Or do you think something else?

I can't wait to find out what RIM has in store for these "other devices that will help them with this whole mobile computing vision they have
    I think this is a device we haven't heard of before (which is why I was hesitant to bring it up when I first heard of it). I do think the source is credible, though.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,676 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubizmo View Post
    The hangup button functions as a home button in just about everything but the phone app itself. It returns you to the home screen, usually leaving the app running.
    I'm not sure...is the notification light present on the Dev Alpha devices? If not, it may be "added" relative to them. I don't have one, so I don't know.
    Well, that kind of makes sense, but it is very odd since I have never heard of anyone else calling it the home button, especially since the "Home Button" is what everyone calls the button on the iPhone. lol

As for the notification light, yes, the Dev Alpha devices do have one.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DuexNoir View Post
    I sincerely doubt there will be up to 30000 apps at launch.

100000? Get real.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,315 Global Posts
    PIN
    2*******

Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post

100000? Get real.
    there are already articles and interviews confirming this...

(Reuters) - Research In Motion is pushing for app quality, not quantity, with its make-or-break BlackBerry 10 devices set for launch on January 30, and targeting applications to customers in various regions.

RIM's projected 100,000 apps - a record for any new platform at launch - will still be a fraction of those available on Apple Inc or Google Inc devices.
    yes it's still less then what android and ios have currently... but it's to prove your statement is incorrect.. and u shouldn't DOUBT!
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge_6 View Post

yes it's still less then what android and ios have currently... but it's to prove your statement is incorrect.. and u shouldn't DOUBT!
    The '100000 apps in the appworld' includes BBOS apps which will not work on the Playbook.
    According to this thread Want to know how many Playbook Apps there are? Come here! there were 4000 apps for Playbook by January 2012. According to Wikipedia, by May 2012 there were 24700 apps available (most likely due to the influx of Android apps).
    Let's assume the app count is now 35000. So tell me, do you actually believe more than 65000 apps have been coded for BB10 in the past 6 - 7 months?!

So if you want to prove my statement Incorrect, you could help by letting us know the total number of Playbook apps out there.

If you ask me, this image below is where the 100000 apps count came from

New BB10 phones just the beginning, RIM exec says-img_6538.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New BB10 phones just the beginning, RIM exec says-img_6536.jpg  
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post

100000? Get real.
    It has already been reported that RIM already has 70,000 apps for BB10, if I recall correctly - and that was in Oct. (The source is somewhere on CrackBerry, as I remember). So that's why I ventured to say there will be 100,000 apps at least at launch - I wasn't simply picking a number out of a hat.

Well, it would not be fair to compare the number of apps released for a brand new OS (BB10) to that of Android and iOS, given that Android and iOS have how many years to build up that arsenal they have now. I just dislike it when people make unjust comparisons like this. BB10, a spanking brand new OS, launching at 100,000 apps (if true) will be an amazing feat, I think - and RIM should be given proper credit for it, if they achieve it next year.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,779 Global Posts

Heck who cares if they have the top 100 even.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C

To tell you the truth, I think that's misinformation. I think RIM said they have 100,000 apps. What they mean by that is BBOS + PlayBook + BB10 = 100,000 apps.

Granted PlayBook apps will work on BB10. It probably still isn't up to 100,000. Maybe 50,000. But I'm not sure if I can believe 100,000 apps on launch on BB10's App World.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts

Where did the 100,000 number come from?

When IPhone was launched, there were 0 apps.
    When Andorid phone was launched there were 2,300 apps.

So it won't take too many apps to validate RIM's comment of having the most apps on a mobile product launch.

RIM may have over 100,000 apps in the App World at launch, but if they have 5,000 key quality apps for BB10, it will go a long way in quieting down the naysayers.

Key Quality App = apps that 80% of the consumer want and expect to be on a smartphone.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,312 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle of phones: BB!

I have always wondered how many apps NEVER get downloaded. Or at least are completely irrelevant as far as download numbers (what is irrelevant - less than 10? less than 50? less than 100?).

Take PlayBook for example: under Apps>Top Rated you have "North Korea On-Device GPS Map - Offline Map" rated 5 stars (1 review as far as I can tell) and at $9.99. First of all - how in the world do apps get "Top Rated" status? Look in PlayBook AppWorld and they are almost all junk apps with only 1 or a few reviews. How in the heck does that garner "Top rated"?

It almost isn't worth the 60 seconds it takes to look at new arrivals in AppWorld. So many crApps - apps that are links to blogs, apps that tell you how to spell "Apps", almost everything is just junk!

I'm pretty much 100% happy and satisfied with what is available that I need. I won't complain if some of the apps are improved, nor will I complain if a few more great apps are added, but whether the number is 1000 or 100,000 at launch of BB10, all I need are the apps to make me productive, keep me connected, and let me enjoy a few minutes of fun when I need to blow off steam. There are many apps that will be a bonus, while TONS of the additional apps are just mud in the water.
    It was recently pointed out to me that SugarSync was still in my signature, and no longer available for free. It was a nice (free) ride, SugarSync, but I'm seeing Box and Dropbox now, via BB10 integration.
    CrackBerry Addict

itunes and Google Play are full of crap apps too. That is why I don't get so excited about the number of apps. I really hope HTLM5 takes off. I rather just deal with a browser than load an app, test it, and of course deem it crap.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,848 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask

BB10 like Playbook, will let you sideload most Android Apps. So in addittion to all the Native PB, Native BB10 and ported Apps, there is an addittional very mature library of apps available on day 1. Also if the browser is as fully developed as it appears to be, and the hardware as capable as reviews suggest, then I am plenty happy using Netflix, MLB, NFL, NYT, Sirius, etc. through a browser. In fact, last year's BB MLB app was so many times worse than the using a mobile browser with flash, that I carried my son's 2 year old Droid Incredible around and paid for the online subscription rather than use the terrible app on my 9850.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Here's a discouraging statistic for independent developers looking to break into the increasingly crowded iOS App Store. According to a report from mobile analytics firm Adeven, over two thirds of the store consists of "zombie" apps, which generate few downloads and almost no revenue to their creators.
    The total number of these apps sits at around 400,000, so while Apple often brags that there are hundreds of thousands of apps available on the App Store, the majority of these aren't of interest to most users, and likely aren't getting discovered.
    App Store has growing population of never-downloaded "zombie apps" | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by mithrazor View Post
    To tell you the truth, I think that's misinformation. I think RIM said they have 100,000 apps. What they mean by that is BBOS + PlayBook + BB10 = 100,000 apps.
    Hmm, I see. But if they ported all they have now over to BB10, in a sense, they will be launching BB10 with that many apps...although it is a major twist of words but that's business.

It doesn't matter to me how many apps, since I don't use or care for apps that much but I do wish for BB10 to do well. Oh well, we'll just have to see on Jan 30th. They will be announcing all those info on launch day,right? This is going to be the first time I ever follow the launching of any gadget. lol.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast