Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Netflix Has No Current Plans for a BlackBerry 10 App

Netflix Has No Current Plans for a BlackBerry 10 App - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD

If BlackBerry is “in talks” with Netflix about a BlackBerry 10 version of the company’s popular video streaming app, they aren’t going very well.
    Sources say Netflix isn’t developing a version of its app for BlackBerry 10 — native or port. And the company confirms those reports: It has chosen to forgo the platform entirely for the time being. “We have no current plans for a BlackBerry app,” a spokesman told AllThingsD.
    Netflix declined to explain the thinking behind this decision, but sources say the company has little incentive to develop for the platform. The majority of Netflix’s mobile users already subscribe to the company’s service. So its addressable market wouldn’t dramatically expand if it were to offer a BlackBerry 10 app. And the BlackBerry 10 user base isn’t yet large enough to compel Netflix to support it in the way that Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android platforms have. In other words, the operating costs of developing an app for low-volume platform like BlackBerry 10 and maintaining it outweigh any potential benefits.
    “Currently.”
    So no Netflix on BlackBerry 10 for the time being. That’s another blow to the nascent platform on which BlackBerry is mounting its comeback. The absence of any version of Netflix for BB10 creates a hole in the platform and is a disincentive for users of the app on other platforms to consider BlackBerry’s new OS as a viable alternative. It also raises questions for developers, the same ones I noted here while reporting on Instagram’s decision to take a wait-and-see approach to BB10. If a company like Netflix doesn’t think it’s worthwhile to build an app for BlackBerry, then why should a smaller independent dev?
    Which is not to say that it isn’t worthwhile. Plenty of developers have decided that it might be. BlackBerry 10 debuted with support from a number of popular apps — Kindle, Skype, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and Dropbox to name a few. But if the holdouts like Netflix and Instagram start to pile up, it could be a drag on BB10 adoption.
    BlackBerry, for its part, is hoping Netflix changes its mind.
    “We’re committed to bringing top titles from around the globe to BlackBerry 10 customers,” BlackBerry spokesman Alex Kinsella told AllThingsD. “At this time, it’s in Netflix’s court to join the excitement around BlackBerry 10 — we hope they choose to bring a BlackBerry 10 experience to their customers. We’d love to have them.”
    We’ll have to wait and see just how much excitement it takes to get Netflix to reconsider.
    The reason big new things sneak by incumbents is that the next big thing always starts out being dismissed as a “toy.” This is one of the main insights of Clay Christensen’s “disruptive technology” theory.
    CrackBerry Master

"The majority of Netflix’s mobile users already subscribe to the company’s service."

Am I being completely dense here, but what does this mean? How can they count mobile users from a platform they don't have an app for? Or, conversely, saying that mobile users already use their apps doesn't at all quantify those who would if they could...
    Thanked by:
    drjay868 (03-06-2013) 

Global Posts
    5,286 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

I wonder how many of us really care.

I'll admit, I would have loved to have it for the Playbook, but watching full-length movies on my phone isn't an appealing prospect. I've tried (Crackle runs beautifully, for instance). Sure, I can hook my Z10 up to my TV. I did it this weekend to watch "Beasts of the Southern Wild" out of sheer curiosity. I already have Netflix available on my TV, though, through its excellent Xbox app and with a somewhat less usable feature built into my home theatre.

Would I prefer to have the choice? Sure, and I hope Netflix reconsiders. For now, I'm going to say it's their loss, though.

"Max Power doesn't 'cuddle'! You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!"
    Thanked by 2:
    CrackedBarry (03-04-2013),  SlcCorrado (03-04-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,854 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emstardeluxe View Post
    "The majority of Netflix’s mobile users already subscribe to the company’s service."

Am I being completely dense here, but what does this mean? How can they count mobile users from a platform they don't have an app for? Or, conversely, saying that mobile users already use their apps doesn't at all quantify those who would if they could...
    It's a pretty stupid argument on their part. With that logic, they shouldn't even have apps on the Wii and PS Vita. Really, how many people use those two devices for Netflix? Probably less than people on the BlackBerry platform would.
    web99 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,122 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emstardeluxe View Post

They're saying that the majority of users who install the mobile app on their device already have a pre-existing Netflix subscription.

So their reasoning is as follows. The revenue from of new subscribers they expect to get from a BB10 app is less than the costs of developing a BB10 app.
    Thanked by 5:
    emstardeluxe (03-04-2013),  MERCDROID (03-04-2013),  mikeo007 (03-04-2013),  richardat (03-04-2013),  schmeat (03-04-2013) 
    netwerx1 and joe.miller like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I concur, no big deal to have this on my Z10, rather watch on my TV
    The reason big new things sneak by incumbents is that the next big thing always starts out being dismissed as a “toy.” This is one of the main insights of Clay Christensen’s “disruptive technology” theory.
    Thanked by:
    datgurl (03-06-2013) 
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by notafanboy View Post
    They're saying that the majority of users install the mobile app on their device already have a pre-existing Netflix subscription.

So their reasoning is as follows. The revenue from of new subscribers they expect to get from a BB10 app is less than the costs of developing a BB10 app.
    That is a much clearer sentence. Thanks!
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    5,808 Global Posts

It's strange though because we know it works. I'm sure everyone saw Bla1zes video. I don't mind sideloading stuff but it would be much more appealing to the masses if it was available in the app store
    BB4Life
    ichpen likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Netflix does not really have much to watch anyway. I just use my xbox and online version on my pc and find it isnt that great. Having it on the playbook would be cool but how about they just open the browser so i can stream though that? Dont need an app. And with netflix/hulu/mlb.tv all blocking the playbook browser there must be more to it then we know.
    Phone:
    Blackberry Bold 9930 w/32gb mirco sd
    Q10 in July!

tablet:
    Blackberry Playbook 64gb
    datgurl likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,047 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by notafanboy View Post
    They're saying that the majority of users who install the mobile app on their device already have a pre-existing Netflix subscription.

My bet is that RIM would pay for the development. They're probably wanting money to pay for the support costs as well as they are ongoing

Still, this contradicts this

First Look: Netflix running on BlackBerry 10! | CrackBerry.com
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,585 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    I wonder how many of us really care.
    Maybe the BB10-owners wishlist is different but (as you'll remember), it often seemed like every 2nd post on the PB forums was a request for Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Would I prefer to have the choice? Sure, and I hope Netflix reconsiders. For now, I'm going to say it's their loss, though.
    I reckon you've confirmed that the Netflix spokesman spoke truth. Netflix already have your money, so not offering a BB10 App is no loss to them at all, while it would cost them to develop one.
    Proud Member of the PlayBook Beta Test Team (Since June 2011)

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Here is how I responded to this...

Netflix Has No Current Plans for a BlackBerry 10 App-screen-shot-2013-03-04-3.31.42-pm.jpg
    Thanked by 2:
    shads77 (03-04-2013),  web99 (03-05-2013) 
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    5,808 Global Posts

Not that I want to beat a dead horse, but when consumers hear things like "netflix doesn't feel the need to support blackberry" it gives people the impression that BB is irrelevant. We all know thats not true. But that's what people hear
    BB4Life
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    5,808 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoJaysGo View Post
    Here is how I responded to this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-03-04 at 3.31.42 PM.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	139147
    Nice. The worst part is that they won't even flinch. Many members here have called and threatened to cancel, some even going though with it, but apparently netflix does not care
    BB4Life
    CrackBerry Genius

Was tempted to give Netflix another shot in Canada, but there's no point if they don't want to support my platform. Only time I feel like streaming anything is when I'm lying in bed with my phone.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    r0v3rT3N likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,854 Global Posts

The only good thing for me on Netflix right now is House of Cards. You can just download it online and you're done. No worth it paying $8-9/month.
    Dragon Slayer

Lots of straaaaaaange politicking going on here with Netflix.
    CrackBerry User

Finally canceled my streaming plan. I wasn't using it frequently enough anyway.

Posted via CB10 on the Z10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SlcCorrado View Post
    It's strange though because we know it works. I'm sure everyone saw Bla1zes video. I don't mind sideloading stuff but it would be much more appealing to the masses if it was available in the app store
    Netflix is REALLY paranoid about intellectual property. You would have to be if streamers could potentially download high quality movies from your service through third party programs or some hacking around. For this reason, a port just won't do.

Another reason why Netflix may be less receptive toward BBRY is that its customer base is largely American and I'm really not feeling the buzz for BB10 around here. (This is relative to Windows Phone 8, which had a lukewarm reception.)
    Thanked by:
    SlcCorrado (03-04-2013) 
    mikeo007 and joe.miller like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

Just doesn't make sense to me and I am a Netflix subscriber and supporter.

Android, iOS, Windows 8 Desktop OS, PS3, Xbox, Wii, PSP, Vita, Blu-Ray Players, Tivo, Roku (and related), and TV's all can use a Netflix app but not BlackBerry. Thus leaving BlackBerry as the only mainstream mobile/computing/entertainment device that can't access Netflix. They have at least 12 different platforms running Netflix and they can't handle one more? Are they in that much financial disarray? I understand there is development costs (for training developers on Cascades? for vendor registration in Blackberry World?) As for support, I am looking at screenshots of the iOS and Android app and I can't tell them apart aside from general navigational differences. The Netflix app on my Tivo even looks similar as does the app on my Windows 8 computer. Tivo's app was updated last year by Netflix because Netflix wanted to "standardize the UI based on their other platforms and tailor it to Tivo" (not a direct quote, but was the gist of their statement). I know they all use different programing languages in the background, but it looks like they have a standard UI theme. Also, I have said this before, but why can't Netflix go the Skype route and modify their Android app and optimize it for BlackBerry 10? I'm sure that has some savings versus developing a full blown native app? I wonder if BlackBerry has presented Netflix with this workaround and if not, what are they waiting for.

Just doesn't make sense.
    Thanked by:
    BoldtotheMax (03-11-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Seriously pondering cancelling my subscription. It's so easy for them to bring it over to BB10. Smells greed.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,822 Global Posts

My brother in law says alot of people on the train back from NYC to CT have two phones. Their work BB and their personal Droid/iOS. He says alot of them watch Netflix o nthe ride home.

Just saying. This is not exactly a small problem.
    scalemaster34 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,259 Global Posts
    PIN
    330c56f6

This would be a dumb choice.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    334C9480

Although the appeal for me to stream Netflix on my future Z10 is probably zero, my kids inundate my wife for her ip4 so they can watch Dora or SpongeBob. Giving her some relief so she can sometimes USE her phone would have been worthwhile.

With that being said, why isn't anyone considering sideloading as Bla1ze has showed? Was there something he did that we can't?
    Sent from my Atari 2600, in the back of my van, down by the river...

Storm /Storm2 .1015 /9850 7.1.0.861 /Z10 10.2.0.1725 /Z30 10.2.1.1055
    Playbook-16GB² & 64GB²
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    5,808 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sentimentGX4 View Post
    Netflix is REALLY paranoid about intellectual property. You would have to be if streamers could potentially download high quality movies from your service through third party programs or some hacking around. For this reason, a port just won't do.

Another reason why Netflix may be less receptive toward BBRY is that its customer base is largely American and I'm really not feeling the buzz for BB10 around here. (This is relative to Windows Phone 8, which had a lukewarm reception.)
    Those are really good points. I actually hadn't even considered the downloading issue
    BB4Life
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast