Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree61Likes
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by advcomputer View Post

Detwiler says the reasons for the delayed QWERTY launch are not clear, but that it will be “a serious problem for RIMM in its efforts to stop the bleeding and stabilize the business…we simply don’t see much of an upgrade cycle for RIMM from its legacy QWERTY devices to full touch screen devices.”
    So what phones are these "defectors" moving to instead? Hmmm, seems like a lot of them move to... wait for it... full touch screen devices.
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Default Negativity From Forbes...

Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    So what phones are these "defectors" moving to instead? Hmmm, seems like a lot of them move to... wait for it... full touch screen devices.
    True but, those "defectors" are also moving on to ecosystems which thrive on full screen (touchscreen) phones. Sometimes it is simply about the ecosystem and not the phone or os attached to it. Sure plenty of Android phones have keyboards but, they aren't and never will be any match for a solid BB keyboard. BlackBerry has the best keyboard currently invented yet for the masses or "defectors" if you will, very little to accompany it. If BB10 can provide an ecosystem you will see many return for the keyboard alone. If they can't, having a larger touchscreen device won't likely matter that much. Not hating on the L series here I just don't believe that having a market comparable touch screen device to offer is going to be enough to make a discernible difference for RIM. A qwerty device with an actual ecosystem on the other hand.........
    8310-->9700-->3GS-->Infuse 4G-->9360-->9900-->iPhone 5
  3. aha
    CrackBerry Genius

Pythons and mikeo007 totally won their arguments. Doesn't matter how you cut it, having netflix and Skype on board is way better than not. For example, we don't even need to have this discussion any more, how nice is that!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,369 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 03_CTD View Post
    True but, those "defectors" are also moving on to ecosystems which thrive on full screen (touchscreen) phones. Sometimes it is simply about the ecosystem and not the phone or os attached to it. Sure plenty of Android phones have keyboards but, they aren't and never will be any match for a solid BB keyboard. BlackBerry has the best keyboard currently invented yet for the masses or "defectors" if you will, very little to accompany it. If BB10 can provide an ecosystem you will see many return for the keyboard alone. If they can't, having a larger touchscreen device won't likely matter that much. Not hating on the L series here I just don't believe that having a market comparable touch screen device to offer is going to be enough to make a discernible difference for RIM. A qwerty device with an actual ecosystem on the other hand.........
    People take about the BB keyboard like it's some kind of secret weapon that no one else could emulate. I believe the fact is, and sales seem to prove, that the majority of people don't care about a physical keyboard and would rather have the extra screen real estate. That is why the L series is coming out first. I'm not saying that the N series won't sell, but it won't match the L.
    Rickroller likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,007 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pythons View Post
    Look, the majority of people who WERE using a Blackberry left for IOS or Droid.....
    Not exactly. They've lost users in the US, but gained users elsewhere. In the end, there are more people using a BlackBerry today around the world than ever. They have 80 million users today. They had 10.5 million when iPhone came out and 21 million when Android hit the market. Android and iPhone and grown quicker and now have larger installed bases (I would love to know how many active iPhone users there actually are ... Apple quotes 'ever shipped' not 'active).

With all the negative press, sometimes people assume that the BlackBerry community is a fraction of the size it once was and that there are only a few left keeping RIM alive.

Agree with your points raised though.

Global Posts
    23,347 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    Not exactly. They've lost users in the US, but gained users elsewhere. In the end, there are more people using a BlackBerry today around the world than ever. They have 80 million users today. They had 10.5 million when iPhone came out and 21 million when Android hit the market. Android and iPhone and grown quicker and now have larger installed bases (I would love to know how many active iPhone users there actually are ... Apple quotes 'ever shipped' not 'active).

With all the negative press, sometimes people assume that the BlackBerry community is a fraction of the size it once was and that there are only a few left keeping RIM alive.

Agree with your points raised though.
    i found this which could generally give you an idea that is more than 80 million

http://blog.flurry.com/bid/91911/Ele...Global-Village

Negativity From Forbes...-flurry_activeusers_oct2012-resized-600.png
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB...
    @howarmat
    Thanked by:
    RubberChicken76 (12-08-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,007 Global Posts

Thanks. Not disputing there are more. Was just more of a side comment that I'd love to know how many active iOS users there actually are. Apple threw out "400 million iOS devices sold" at one of the events recently and then journalists and fanboys began quoting that number as "400 million users". I've even seen it on Wikipedia on the App Store page.

While I don't doubt there are a huge number of devices in use, there aren't *that many* and it shows (again) the flawed way in which many journalists report on studies and stats.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    Thanks. Not disputing there are more. Was just more of a side comment that I'd love to know how many active iOS users there actually are. Apple threw out "400 million iOS devices sold" at one of the events recently and then journalists and fanboys began quoting that number as "400 million users". I've even seen it on Wikipedia on the App Store page.

While I don't doubt there are a huge number of devices in use, there aren't *that many* and it shows (again) the flawed way in which many journalists report on studies and stats.
    If you work backwards a bit from Pocket: 60% iOS 6 Adoption, 20% Of Daily Users Already On iPhone 5 | TechCrunch and some other stats, somewhere upwards of 120 million may be a good estimate for iPhone devices in use.

100 million upgraded to iOS 6
    iOS 6 represents 60% of traffic on Pocket.
    So that would potentially imply 170 million total iOS devices in use.
    About 65% of the iOS devices may be iPhones

As of June 2012 (when the 400 million number was mentioned, 250 million of those were iPhones).

So that would imply that about 50% of iPhones ever sold were in use. That may be a little low since iPhones have a pretty active secondary market, but is a reasonable estimate based on the info we have.

In comparison, I think BB has shipped around 200 million units to date.
    Thanked by 2:
    mikeo007 (12-08-2012),  RubberChicken76 (12-09-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,007 Global Posts

Great analysis, Zarpan ... thanks! I couldn't remember how many BlackBerrys have been sold to date. Last number I saw was May 2011 at http://blogs.cio.com/al_sacco/16052/...rry_world_2011
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    I guess anyone who installed netflix one of these 10+ million times has never used it on their phone/tablet: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd

It's preached so often around here, yet nobody seems to understand the concept of: your individual sampling of people has zero relevance. Your family and friends do not represent the trend amongst smartphone users. They may reflect the trend, but they are not indicative of it.
    For the recond, I have netflix installed on my iPad and I NEVER use it and my wife has it on her iPhone and she never uses it. However, we both watch Netflix on the TV every other day or more.

That being said, I'm not trying to say that my small sample is representative of the entire world. I'm just giving my input to the community just like you are and everyone else. I nobody gives their personal experiences, then this place would be useless and we would all have to trust the corporations and bias blogs for information. What a sad world you seem to want to live in....
    www.gbv.asia

"Bridging the Gap" between your Company and Asia
    -Global Business Ventures - Proud supporters of all things BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimpilot View Post
    I do wonder why RIM didn't come out and say the dates are in error. Maybe because the carriers control the release dates and they would be over stepping their area to say that? I hope so
    They don't say that because if they did, then it would be expected that they come out and refute (with specific information) any outrageous claim ever made. The fact that they came out and denied in their own way says something about it being false. In the past, RIM ignored rumors that ended up being true. By saying something like "that is not true, BB10 will be released well before June" they are giving out information that they didn't want to give out because some ***** analyst made a ridicolous prediction. They would be setting themselves up for other analysts to make other predictions just to see if they get a response or not.
    www.gbv.asia

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    Pythons and mikeo007 totally won their arguments. Doesn't matter how you cut it, having netflix and Skype on board is way better than not. For example, we don't even need to have this discussion any more, how nice is that!
    I'm not sure anyone was arguing whether it would be better to have Netflix and Skype on board or not. That is almost as obvious as saying that RIM will do better if they release BB10 than if they end up not releasing it. The outrageous comment about EVERYONE'S first questions being "does it have Netflix" when they see a PlayBook is a complete exageration (or lie).
    Last edited by anastasiophan; 12-21-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    www.gbv.asia

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123