Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Shlooky
  • 1 Post By web99
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    For the ladies only :-)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Microsoft confirms Messenger will be retired and users migrated to Skype on March 15

"Microsoft on Tuesday started mass emailing its 100 million+ Messenger users to let them know that the service is officially being retired on March 15, 2013. On that date, all users will be migrated to Skype, which Microsoft acquired back in May 2011 for $8.5 billion.

This means Messenger will be shut down in just 66 days. It will only keep working afterwards in mainland China, mainly because Skype is operated there by a local provider called TOM."
    There's more in the article, here's the link...
    Microsoft Migrating Messenger Users to Skype on March 15

Since Skype will not be an option on BB10, those who used the Microsoft messenger service will be out of luck. Me thinks anyway
    "Let's sell this lean mean hunting machine!...in parts"
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shlooky View Post
    "Microsoft on Tuesday started mass emailing its 100 million+ Messenger users to let them know that the service is officially being retired on March 15, 2013. On that date, all users will be migrated to Skype, which Microsoft acquired back in May 2011 for $8.5 billion.

This means Messenger will be shut down in just 66 days. It will only keep working afterwards in mainland China, mainly because Skype is operated there by a local provider called TOM."
    There's more in the article, here's the link...
    Microsoft Migrating Messenger Users to Skype on March 15

Since Skype will not be an option on BB10, those who used the Microsoft messenger service will be out of luck. Me thinks anyway
    The fact that Messenger will no longer be available is more assurance that BB10 will have Skype. Will it be there on launch, i don't know. But Skype will make it to BB10

Global Posts
    5,820 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B

Wow that's crazy. That was one of the very first messengers I ever used, besides ICQ. End of an era.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,691 Global Posts

so quick question.... will Skype and MSN Messenger interact or is it one or the other? The reason I ask, is that for work, we use Messenger to communicate between offices and interoffice.
    CrackBerry Master

When you sign in to Skype with your Microsoft account - as opposed to your old one, Messenger contacts are supposed to merge with the Skype ones. Otherwise, it is just Skype.
    9000 > 9800 and now BB Z10 and 32GB PlayBook glued to my person!
    Thanked by:
    cjcampbell (01-09-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Does Skype support third-party clients like MSN does? i.e. pidgin etc...
    CrackBerry Genius

Wonder if this change will mess up my hotmail for a few days....Hmm...
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,324 Global Posts

Theres going to be a lot of people getting emails telling them MSN is no longer in use and they are going to think its spam/scam.
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by koroshiyax View Post
    Does Skype support third-party clients like MSN does? i.e. pidgin etc...
    The third party clients I have used all support Skype as chat - but not voice...
    9000 > 9800 and now BB Z10 and 32GB PlayBook glued to my person!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    985 Global Posts

I got the email today and I sent them the following reply

Date: Wed, Jan 9, 2013
    To: The Messenger Team
    Subject: Re: Important info about your Messenger account

I have a blackberry phone and a Playbook tablet.

Is there any plans to build a Skype version that will work on these devices?

Thanks

Xxxxxxxx
    Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post
    so quick question.... will Skype and MSN Messenger interact or is it one or the other? The reason I ask, is that for work, we use Messenger to communicate between offices and interoffice.
    Quick Answer - Yes both can interact with each other if the person on Skype has linked Messenger account.

On March 15, 2013 - MSN Messenger will cease to exist and be blasted into a Black hole and Skype would become the main Messaging service of MSN. Currently there is no Skype BlackBerry Client. Also since messenger service will go down, it automatically means BlackBerry shuts down messenger client on March 15, 2013.

I don't know if RIM or Skype team will make a Client for BB OS7 but it seems like BB10 will most likely get the client first. So I guess you need to use some other Client. The other Clients are AIM, Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger, Facebook Messenger for you guys to talk between offices. Well you guys have till March 15 to figure that out.

There is Also BBM
    ~I am still at a lost who I really am but by going deep into the jungles I can unlock my secret past.

Global Posts
    9,327 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post
    So far I know :
    - Skype is the brand banner for MS' IM. Live (messenger) is now the technology Skype is built on (no more P2P).
    Short answer : Messenger (as its name) is virtually dead but this won't change much on the usage side.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by pantlesspenguin View Post
    Wow that's crazy. That was one of the very first messengers I ever used, besides ICQ. End of an era.
    So true! How many relationships blossomed over MSN Messenger?
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by web99 View Post
    I got the email today and I sent them the following reply

Date: Wed, Jan 9, 2013
    To: The Messenger Team
    Subject: Re: Important info about your Messenger account

I have a blackberry phone and a Playbook tablet.

Is there any plans to build a Skype version that will work on these devices?

Thanks

Xxxxxxxx
    Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network
    Did you by chance get any reply from them?
    I never even got this email