Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Global Posts
    9,323 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer opens fire at Android, iOS

Please understand that the reason why this is posted here and not on wpcentral.com/imore/androidcentral is the following :

Once again, Blamer opened fire against competitors ... without naming RIM/BlackBerry.
    This strengthens me in the belief that MS and RIM are in a phase of non-aggression and - by extension - we might have (pleasant) surprises at BB10 launch.

Now, if you want to know more about it (it kills me to link bgr ... but they deserve sourcing) : Ballmer interview 2012: Android is ‘uncontrolled,’ iOS is expensive | BGR
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    Thanked by 4:
    robtanz (11-15-2012),  simu31 (11-15-2012),  TRlPPlN (11-15-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,048 Global Posts

Default Re: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer opens fire at Android, iOS

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    Please understand that the reason why this is posted here and not on wpcentral.com/imore/androidcentral is the following :

Once again, Blamer opened fire against competitors ... without naming RIM/BlackBerry.
    This strengthens me in the belief that MS and RIM are in a phase of non-aggression and - by extension - we might have (pleasant) surprises at BB10 launch.

Now, if you want to know more about it (it kills me to link bgr ... but they deserve sourcing) : Ballmer interview 2012: Android is ‘uncontrolled,’ iOS is expensive | BGR
    I have noticed this non aggressive position too. I think RIM still might be an acquisition target if the whole windows 8 phones don't pan out. Or maybe they just don't see RIM as a threat at all and not worth mentioning...

Sent from my Atari 2600
    CrackBerry Abuser

While i hope you are right it could just be that he doesnt seem RIM as a threat yet or he doesnt feel the need to attack Blackbery cause BB10 isnt out yet.
    trsbbs and BB_Bmore like this.
    Banned

I don't know what it is but microsoft and RIM seem to have some type of relationship. As much as I dislike microsoft I do think some form of partnership would benefit both.
    CrackBerry Addict

I'm not sure how anyone can say that Microsoft don't see RIM as a threat; RIM holds the number 3 spot which Microsoft want/need!

Although I'll not deny they seem to be quite friendly with eachother recently

Si.
    Last edited by simu31; 11-15-2012 at 09:13 AM.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by mrfreetruth View Post
    I don't know what it is but microsoft and RIM seem to have some type of relationship. As much as I dislike microsoft I do think some form of partnership would benefit both.
    I agree. As the saying goes, "The enemy of my enemy, is my friend."
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24D57205

One could look at how Microsoft has made the XBox the top (arguably) gaming and entertainment system today, it was a long steady and persistent approach, no one is really challanging them in that arena. Now they are stepping into the smartphones and they are not interested in 3rd place, they want first. Desk top and laptop computing is dying down, slowly but surely, and for the masses these are to be replaced by smart phones and tablets, connected to clouds and network based services for providing access to tool that need more powerful processors. Microsoft, sees this, so does RIM (mobile computing platform). But that's a little bit down the road, first there's a couple of nuisance players to address.
    simu31 and SilkySunshine like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by ricocan View Post
    first there's a couple of nuisance players to address.
    Now that made me laugh

Si.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by simu31 View Post
    I'm not sure how anyone can say that Microsoft don't see RIM as a threat; RIM holds the number 3 spot which Microsoft want/need!

Although I'll not deny they seem to be quite friendly with eachother recently

Si.
    At the same time, Microsoft doesn't have a product that competes against RIM's corporate/government strengths of Security and FIPS, or on the compression that makes RIM strong in developing consumer markets. They are in a better position at this moment to poach from Android, and to a lesser extent Apple for new customers now in developed markets, where RIM currently is weak and doesn't have the marketshare it once enjoyed. They won't have a chance at being a strong 3 targeting RIM, they and RIM both have to target Android and iOS.
    NinjaB and SilkySunshine like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Being in fourth, Microsoft cannot waste time attacking RIM because even if they get a percentage of RIM's marketshare to migrate, even if it is 50%, it would not give them a big enough boost to become a threat to iOS and Android. Add that to the fact that, the only they can attack is BB OS and we all know that that is going to be the old platform as of January 30, 2013. And, BB 10 is rather similar in philosophy as Windows Phone, they both want to change the way we interact with our phones but they are approaching it from different directions.

Aside from the partnerships that RIM and Microsoft have, the Bing intergration, exFAT licensing, Microsoft cannot afford to attack RIM now that RIM is having trouble because they have a delicate reputation and attacking a company when it is down will not help them after the anti-trust debacle.
    CrackBerry Abuser

RIM and Microsoft work together when it comes to BES and Exchange. They wouldn't want to take a crap on a (what is right now) a non-threatening company that makes them money.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Microsoft and RIM should make a straight up trade.

To Microsoft: BBM (Yes I know they have msn, but perhaps they can make them work together)

To RIM: MS Office

If anything it would demonstrate that BBM is an attractive bargaining chip and if other companies want to get in on it they have to serve up something sweet. Everything is so cut-throat already that cooperation might just be crazy enough to stir up something different.

(I'm not even going to touch Skype)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    430 Global Posts

Red face Gotta love Ballmer!

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer opens fire at Android, iOS-balmerberry.jpg
    ^This guy?

4Words...

I think I'm going to do some video/audio editing.....#BB10believe! *evillaugh*
    Thanked by:
    Clinto (11-17-2012) 

Global Posts
    9,323 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Quote Originally Posted by metz9444 View Post
    To Microsoft: BBM (Yes I know they have msn, but perhaps they can make them work together)
    [...]
    (I'm not even going to touch Skype)
    just sayin' : imagine Skype and BBM collaborating on BB10 ... shhhh ... I didn't say anything ... I'm speculating in full.
    Qaxl likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Quote Originally Posted by robtanz View Post
    I have noticed this non aggressive position too. I think RIM still might be an acquisition target if the whole windows 8 phones don't pan out. Or maybe they just don't see RIM as a threat at all and not worth mentioning...

Sent from my Atari 2600
    Perhaps they see BB10/QNX as a posible platform for sales of their software, in the future.

Global Posts
    5,283 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

I definitely see the chance of stronger ties between MS and RIM, and, yes, there's some small chance that Ballmer's refusal to attack Blackberry MIGHT have something to do with it. I don't think we'll see much publicly until BB10 has been out for a fair while.

Here's a fearless prediction: WP8 will tank. At this point people just aren't used to thinking of Microsoft as a mobile-OS provider. That is not to imply that WP8 is bad, but in a funny, perceptual way Microsoft has a harder climb than even RIM in this space, believe it or not. But while many point and laugh at RIM, there are still a great many people who ARE used to BB devices, and still view them as a trusted (if somewhat stodgy) name in mobile. Like it or not, RIM still has a name as a quality handset provider.

BB10 will outdo WP next year. And while MS will be a little pi$$ed about it, anything that erodes Apple's (and Google's) market share will be okay with them.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

just sayin' : imagine Skype and BBM collaborating on BB10 ... shhhh ... I didn't say anything ... I'm speculating in full.
    Pfft. I've been saying that for a while. Skype in exchange for BBM... I've yet to really put much thought into that idea though, so I have no idea what the ramifications would be.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Msft needs to just take a stake in rim. Just add water and watch it grow basically, a collaboration with a plan for enterprise that will reignite some innovative excitement both companies desperately need. Is rim plan B for msft or plan A for enterprise?, time will tell and nothing is going to happen until it happens and something tells me when it does, watch out.
    CrackBerry Abuser

microsoft and RIM have a business relationship. BES, Exchange, office 365 hosted BES, Lync hence, etc.., hence there is no cheap shots against each other.
    Patiently waited for BB10. Now sporting AT&T Z10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,781 Global Posts

It's also worth mentioning that current BlackBerry's have Bing pretty well-integrated into them. Heck, the PlayBook has Bing Maps as opposed to just a "Maps" application as seen on the phones. And Bing is owned by Microsoft. So there's clearly a somewhat friendly relationship between the two.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    723 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pcguy514 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	balmerberry.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	125649
    ^This guy?

4Words...

I think I'm going to do some video/audio editing.....#BB10believe! *evillaugh*
    WOW!
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by berryaddictnoza View Post
    WOW!
    Haha. Steve Ballmer's hilariously awesome.

Another thing Windows and post-Saunders RIM has in common?

Global Posts
    9,323 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    BB10 will outdo WP next year. And while MS will be a little pi$$ed about it, anything that erodes Apple's (and Google's) market share will be okay with them.
    ^^ THIS. The duopoly have to be "breached" prior any massive market assault. RIM is acting with BB10 and is busy enough with that. On the other hand, WP8 needs exposition and MS have huge media access and piles of cash to fight on the communication area.
    I also believe, beyond the marketing strategy, that these corporations have a kind of "we are from the same world (Enterprise)" position.
    They consider each other as valid alternatives, as they both have a similar vision of the mobile platform.

P.S: Pretending Balmer is a stupid is just duff. Laughable he is, sometimes, but stupid ... nope.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

P.S: Pretending Balmer is a stupid is just duff. Laughable he is, sometimes, but stupid ... nope.
    Who said he's stupid? :P
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    32FE97BA

Default Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer opens fire at Android, iOS

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    Haha. Steve Ballmer's hilariously awesome.

Another thing Windows and post-Saunders RIM has in common?
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RINizGmhrYo

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast