Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Major Canadian Retailer announces Z10 outselling iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3

Retailer says BlackBerry Z10 outselling iPhone 5, Galaxy 3 in Canada - The Globe and Mail

A major wireless retailer said Research In Motion Ltd.’s new BlackBerry Z10 smartphone has sold better since its launch than more popular devices such as Apple Inc.’s iPhone 5 and Samsung Electronics’ Galaxy S3 devices in Canada.

In a statement released on Monday, Burnaby, B.C.-based Glentel Inc., said the new Z10 model was “the leading smartphone” sold within its 330 Canadian Wirelesswave and Wave sans Fils retail stores since the device’s launch on Feb. 5.

RIM’s new BlackBerry, of course, is much newer than its best-selling Galaxy S3 and iPhone rivals – which have sold tens of millions since their respective launches – and is one of the only major devices to have launched since the holiday season ended. Since then, there has been a drought of high-end smartphone releases.

Glentel did not respond to a request for additional comment and did not immediately make available any actual sales numbers.

Since RIM’s global launches began rolling out in late January, actual data on sales have been in short supply. Until RIM reports its fourth quarter financial results on March 28 – an analysis that will include sales from early December until March 2 – observers are left with little more than vague figures from RIM and its partners, analyst “channel checks” with retail stores and wireless carriers, and other non-definitive numbers.

RIM has said the full touchscreen Z10 device had a more successful launch out of the gate than any previous BlackBerry, which many had expected given the long wait since the latest BlackBerry 7 devices were launched in August, 2011. A delay to availability in the U.S. led to many analysts cutting sales forecasts, but anecdotal accounts – including the release on Monday of Glentel’s statement and reports of lineups in the U.K. – provide some evidence that RIM’s Z10 has had at least some sales momentum.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

My only comment is, how can the Z10 be outselling the 'more popular' iPhone5 and the Galaxy S3?.....If the Z10 is outselling them.....IT is the more popular phone.....jus' sayin'
    Last edited by kcdist; 02-25-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    Thanked by 8:
    416to604 (02-26-2013),  Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (02-27-2013),  DuexNoir (02-27-2013),  melb_me (02-25-2013),  sheeraz_aa (02-25-2013),  world traveler and former ceo (02-25-2013),  zyben (02-25-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that they keep using RIM? BlackBerry was very clear on the name change... this is what passes for reporting nowadays...
    Thanked by:
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (02-25-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,714 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108

I guess if they sell 40 million this quarter it might be considered a more popular phone (outselling isn't a word i'd use just yet...). I'm guessing they'll sell about 3-5 million personally. It was probably a hot seller for the weeks in question though.
    Twitter: xandermac
    Banned

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

I wouldn't jump on the stock just yet. For every positive story, there are also negative ones.

This was posted on BGR today:

Industry watchers are still mixed on whether or not BlackBerry (BBRY) can pull off the incredible comeback it is currently attempting. Some big firms are seeing signs of life while others maintain their position that BlackBerry is a sinking ship. Count Connecticut-based equity research firm MKM Partners in the latter category. In a recent note to clients, MKM analyst Michael Genovese cut his outlook on BlackBerry shares and said there is now a 90% chance BlackBerry 10 will flop.

“We have been testing the Z10 and like the operating system, especially the touchscreen BB10 keyboard predictive text functionality, but we do not think it is differentiated enough to save the brand,” Genovese wrote. “The Z10 hardware seems bulky and heavy, but the biggest problem by far is the lack of available applications for BB10.”

The analyst says that based on his digging, fewer than 10% of the top-100 Android apps and fewer than 5% of the most popular iPhone apps are available on BlackBerry’s new platform. “Not a single top-50-grossing app on Android or the iPhone can be acquired for the Z10,” Genovese noted.

MKM cut its rating on BlackBerry shares from Neutral to Sell with a $10 price target, down from $12.

“Our new price target reflects the lower probability of success we attribute to BlackBerry 10 following our testing of the Z10 and observing BB10’s momentum stall out in the U.K. after only a few weeks,” Genovese wrote. “We reduce the estimated probability that BB10 will be a success and the stock will appreciate to $40 to 10% from 15% and increase the estimated probability that BB10 will fail and the stock will decline to $7 to 90% from 85%.”

MKM now sees February-quarter BlackBerry Z10 channel sales totaling 400,000 units, down from its earlier estimate of 1.5 million.
    BlackBerry 10 sales seen slowing, 90% BlackBerry 10 flops | BGR
    Thanked by:
    rdonnelly (02-27-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,714 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108

“Not a single top-50-grossing app on Android or the iPhone can be acquired for the Z10,”

That's not good. Apps sell devices, plain and simple.
    Twitter: xandermac
    Thanked by:
    rdonnelly (02-27-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Sir View Post
    I wouldn't jump on the stock just yet. For every positive story, there are also negative ones.

This was posted on BGR today:

BlackBerry 10 sales seen slowing, 90% BlackBerry 10 flops | BGR
    Which in turn was a rehash from a 'guesstimate' posted last Friday, before BBRY's CEO made his comments on sales and increasing production. I betcha MKM would like a do-over today....
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    668 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xandermac View Post
    “Not a single top-50-grossing app on Android or the iPhone can be acquired for the Z10,”

I checked the list, and although there are many not yet on the Z!), there a few. Their statement isn't correct.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

It could be argued retail stores also sell devices.....and here's evidence that one store is selling a decent quantity of Z10's.

Bottom line, zandermac, what's your point? Unhappy a retail chain is posting good Z10 numbers and need to rain on the parade? Z10's sell in quantity, and developers not on board will join the party.....this makes some people sad.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,009 Global Posts

False. Remember, whenever you read an article you must critically think.

Obviously, BB users and Android users are different. One; a quick Google search of the apps will show you how useless most of them are. Backup manager, a bunch of games, swift keyboard? What if those apps are already part of the phone, can be used online, or just aren't needed? Who needs to buy Tune in radio apps when you can use Pandora for free? Why would BB users need a handful of ROM managers? So that line you quoted was a setup, it was made to make BB look bad, when in fact, it just shows you how incomplete Android is, and it's users are paying to fix that.

Two; of course sales will slow. It happens all the time with any electronic. How are the sales of the PS2......Wii....iphone? Are they still going strong, of course not. Early adopters adopt them, and then others will pick them up when they want. BB came in at a bad time but still did great. Not only did the i5, S3 SGN2, HTC, W8, and Nokia Lumia phones all already come out within the past year, sucking up a bunch of contracts, but BB missed the holidays, back to school, and not to mention, the 6th month range of when its OS7 phones dropped. (The phones dropped from this summer to winter so expect sales to pick up as those contracts are up)
    Hail to the juicy berry
    Hail to the typing leader

Hail, Hail, to Blackberry its Research in Motion!

Hail to the juicy berry
    Hail to the typing leader

Hail, Hail, to Blackberry they will never rest!

Thanked by 2:
    HollyWOOD1906 (02-25-2013),  mylrob (06-25-2013) 
    CrackBerry Master

Apparently not in Canada, the UK, the UAE and France.

I mentioned before that the Zed10 was pretty close to the iPhone in Canada.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,147 Global Posts
    PIN
    LPG5ULJQ - Live profile (try it!)

The iPhone and GS3 have been out for a while now. So I don't think it's realistic for them to maintain the same levels of sales that they have on and shortly after release. I'm not shocked that a Canadian retailer is seeing more Z10s selling during a time of new release. I wonder if it sold more vs iPhone 5 and GS3 initial launches. Now that would be news.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini
    Thanked by:
    BoldtotheMax (02-25-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,092 Global Posts

This is great news! I wouldn't call that a "major Canadian retailer", though. Boooo sensationalist media.

Quote Originally Posted by John Vieira View Post
    Is anyone else bothered by the fact that they keep using RIM? BlackBerry was very clear on the name change... this is what passes for reporting nowadays...
    Formally, the name is still RIM. If the media wants to be polite, they can call it "the company formerly known as RIM". RIM will not legally change its name until it passes a shareholder vote.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    The iPhone and GS3 have been out for a while now. So I don't think it's realistic for them to maintain the same levels of sales that they have on and shortly after release. I'm not shocked that a Canadian retailer is seeing more Z10s selling during a time of new release. I wonder if it sold more vs iPhone 5 and GS3 initial launches. Now that would be news.
    What is significant with this type of report, is that more than one analyst stated that that the Z10 would be "DOA". Many stated that BBRY wouldn't even survive to be able to release a BB10 device.

So....another point of evidence to suggest the BBRY is not only not dead, but seems to have considerable upside. To borrow from a famous Mark Twain quote: "Rumours of BBRYs death may have been greatly exaggerated"

Further, this type of news is great in regards to the developer community. I'm sure there's more than one company that decided to wait for initial sales feedback before determining to commit resources to develop for BB10 OS.
    Thanked by:
    jarrodmeyer (02-25-2013) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts

Default Major Canadian Retailer announces Z10 outselling iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3

Scorpio is bang on, the real test is for that retailer to tell us how in the same period of launch the s3 and iPhone did. Right now both phones are on the tail end of their life cycles, so their sales should not be that strong anymore.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    8700, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9860, Z10! Spider-Man case FTW!!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,637 Global Posts

I guess if they sell 40 million this quarter it might be considered a more popular phone (outselling isn't a word i'd use just yet...). I'm guessing they'll sell about 3-5 million personally. It was probably a hot seller for the weeks in question though.
    I think that's pretty optimistic. Even the UK got the device when 2/3rd of the quarter was over and its had it longer than anyone. Many markets don't even have it yet. I think we'll be lucky to get 1/7th of that.
    Bbnivende likes this.

Global Posts
    6,538 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

I don't completely agree with that. First, the smartphone market is still not mature, even in North America. There's a significant number of new customers out there who know little to nothing about apps in general. Second, there's an older population of users that cares little about apps as well.

I'm not dismissing them completely, but if a phone can appeal to at least some of these users it will drive sales.
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

--Mark Twain
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,637 Global Posts

What list are you referring to? Is there a Billboard Top 50 of apps?

Global Posts
    6,538 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by sentimentGX4 View Post
    This is great news! I wouldn't call that a "major Canadian retailer", though. Boooo sensationalist media.

Formally, the name is still RIM. If the media wants to be polite, they can call it "the company formerly known as RIM". RIM will not legally change its name until it passes a shareholder vote.
    330 stores isn't a major retailer?
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

--Mark Twain
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Default Re: Major Canadian Retailer announces Z10 outselling iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by BoldPreza View Post
    Scorpio is bang on, the real test is for that retailer to tell us how in the same period of launch the s3 and iPhone did. Right now both phones are on the tail end of their life cycles, so their sales should not be that strong anymore.
    Look I also think it would be fantastic if the Z was selling better than the iPhone 5 at launch, but personally think it's rather unrealistic. It's a new platform, with many unknown quantities and I don't know if anyone has a good argument on it outselling the iPhone.

The best part of this news is as a previous poster said: the platform and device are selling well. Well enough probably to encourage app developer uptake and generate buzz and word of mouth sales power.

To me this is outstanding and I can't imagine much better news! (of course now, if it did outsell apples glory boy... Wouldn't that be something)
    Ericsson GA 628 > Nokia 5210 > Sony Ericsson T300 > Sony Ericsson W800 > BlackBerry Curve 8520 > BlackBerry Torch 9800 > BlackBerry Z10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

Still very good news I'm glad
    CrackBerry Addict

Glentel is a major wireless retailer in Canada. All Wireless Wave, Telephone Booth, kiosks in Costco and other big box retailers are all owned by Glentel. When Target comes to Canada the wireless section will be operated by Glentel.
    Z10 - Playbook 32GB
    Banned

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    What list are you referring to? Is there a Billboard Top 50 of apps?
    My guess is top 50 apps in terms of gross sales.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I think they're pretty decent sized. Their Canadian division seems to have revenues of close to $400 million per year, which means they probably sell a million phones per year in Canada.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,637 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
    I think they're pretty decent sized. Their Canadian division seems to have revenues of close to $400 million per year, which means they probably sell a million phones per year in Canada.
    The Wireless Wave brand has 130 stores alone

Store Locator | WIRELESSWAVE
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ing for the fjords

That's not good. Apps sell Apple devices, plain and simple.
    Fixed that for you.
    on attaching documents to e-mail:

"...And the reason for all this is that Apple forgot a cardinal principle of design: unreasonable simplicity sometimes leads to inane levels of complexity." - Rene Ritchie 11/27/12
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast