Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By UnknownError507
  • 1 Post By ichat
  • 1 Post By otacon#AC
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Arrow LTE Explained! and How it works?

LTE or Long Term Evolution

So lets Get started:
    While usually we find a lot of dumbed down explanations terrible, we actually found that this recent article posted in the Connected Magazine by Rogers is actually a good way of trying to describe LTE (long term evolution) to the general public without needing to know a lot of the information that goes back behind wireless networks.

Here’s a quick summary of the main points (they’ve used a highway and cars reference to make things more understandable)

LTE is the next logical step for wireless technologies to take, it can theoretically reach download speeds of 150Mbps and upload speeds of 70Mbps depending on devices, geography and network availability
    this means, streaming HD video with no lag or wait time, beautiful online gaming, and the best wireless experience possible
    it will provide better call quality and data transfer speeds
    over next 5 years North America is expected to tenfold increase in mobile network demand
    currently NA push and pull 30 to 40 petabytes of data across networks EACH month, thats like 30-40 million gigabytes of current use changing to 300 million to 400 million gigabytes of use in five years!!! (LTE can handle that surge)

That’s the basics of it essentially. Here’s where the article shines, it’s highway annalogy.

- Imagine the current network is a 5 lane highway, LTE will increase that highway to 20 lanes!
    - This new highway has specific lanes for data (streaming video, gaming), text messaging, and calls which means everything will be pushed to the “correct” lane making everything more organized and faster

This means in simple terms 4 things:

1 LTE will handle more network congestion with ease (once this network has capped out)
    2 High priority information like voice calls will get priority with their own “lanes” meaning better quality of sound and speed (and more calls can be handled)
    3 More “lanes” mean more channels are open for data traffic so things like browsing, downloading and gaming can be performed much quicker and easier
    4 LTE packages all these different things more closely together (imagine 5 cars fitting side by side in ONE lane) without any chance of collisions (as it’s all handled electronically)

All in all this promises a greater wireless experience for the end user!

In addition to all this, we’ve talked to network developers about the matter and one huge benefit of LTE is the recievers are much SMALLER and more POWERFUL so instead of having hundreds of giant ugly mobile towers around our country, LTE towers can fit ONTOP of light posts making them barely visible!

With Bell and Rogers now fighting over who will launch LTE first, we’ll soon be able to see how this amazing new network will work! Rogers is currently poised to launch LTE in Ottawa this summer so stay tuned for more information soon!

Read More on Virtual Magazine
    An Error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to Correct it.

Thanked by 10:
    chiefbroski (09-27-2011),  DannyJK (09-26-2011),  dpdave (09-27-2011),  drjay868 (09-28-2011),  Kevin Michaluk (09-28-2011),  Kiddello (09-27-2011),  lma13 (09-26-2011),  Rob Robertson (09-28-2011),  stephensonpac (09-29-2011),  TRlPPlN (09-26-2011) 
    stephensonpac likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,336 Global Posts

Following the logic in the article, wouldn't LTE make communications theoretically better in a disaster or times of extreme volume ie. New Year's Eve. Being that everything has a dedicated path, that frees up other channels.
    (AT&T)Nokia 5110(2001)-->(Cingular)Nokia 6102i (2007)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Pearl 8120 (2008)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Bold 9700(2010)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2010)--> (Sprint) HTC Evo 4G White (2011)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2011)--> (AT&T) HTC Inspire 4G (2011)(AT&T)HTC Vivid (2012)-->(Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S III White
    ~K Bear~
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by K Bear View Post
    Following the logic in the article, wouldn't LTE make communications theoretically better in a disaster or times of extreme volume ie. New Year's Eve. Being that everything has a dedicated path, that frees up other channels.
    Yes it does and it will be a huge improvement among Mobile User's!!

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,031 Global Posts

I don't find latency to be very short, but when I've got a good signal, I can get speeds almost as fast as my Comcast cable connection, which runs with a ping of 23 and 24Mbs. Latency on 4G is in the 60+ms range for me, so far.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    PIN
    3DE0F...hey wait a minute...

Just a few notes: I think LTE is already launched in Ottawa by Rogers.

And I think Bell has already launched its LTE network around Toronto or so.

Besides that, thanks for that little article!
    Blackberry Torch 9860 w/ OS 7.0.0.540
    16GB Playbook
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by chiefbroski View Post
    Just a few notes: I think LTE is already launched in Ottawa by Rogers.

And I think Bell has already launched its LTE network around Toronto or so.

Besides that, thanks for that little article!
    Yes you are right chiefbroski! in some parts of Canada they already launched LTE.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?

Man your articles are good! Keep up the good work!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanked by:
    UnknownError507 (09-28-2011) 
    chiefbroski likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    580 Global Posts
    PIN
    33E33E33

What devices work with LTE? 9900? 9810?

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?

Quote Originally Posted by brava27 View Post

I'm not sure if any will support LTE. Forgive me if wrong... Can someone clarify????? :/

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brava27 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ichat View Post
    I'm not sure if any will support LTE. Forgive me if wrong... Can someone clarify????? :/

No BlackBerry supports LTE yet. Verizon has the most widespread coverage at this point. AT&T is starting to roll it out and Sprint isn't far behind. T-Mobile seems to staying with their "4G" HSPA+ service which is a huge mistake Reality is going to catch up to T-Mobile's BS marketing eventually. They claimed the 9900 was the first 4G BB which made me laugh out loud when I read it. We'll see an LTE BB by next summer I'm sure.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by jrohland View Post
    I heard of several groups working on a system of wireless communications without any central authority. The way it works is each wireless device--mostly cell phones--act as a mobile tower. If the connection is for that device, it accepts the packets and does not relay. If the packets are not for it, it rebroadcasts the packets. This would work best in a high density environment. For example, you could be walking in lower Manhattan, place a call to a contact uptown and your connection would literally go phone to phone through midtown. The carrier would not know this call took place.

The idea of this technology right now is that it would work without electricity (as long as the batteries hold out), without towers, central office switches, wire or fiber. So when the Apocalypse comes, you can still call mom.

As the system is worked out and, if the groups can settle on a standard, every radio device could become part of the radio mesh. If you have ever ridden around the suburbs or city with your BB doing a Site Survey, you see just how many wireless networks there are. I understand different radios operate in other bands but, eventually we might get access to most of the spectrum for this kind of system.

Also, batteries will need to be much improved if our phones are to transmit constantly.
    Awww LTE was just launched to the public in Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and is OLD by the look of jrohland post that will be the best thing ever invented for a cell phone, i wish i could leave thous days to see it in action.

But lets hope we are not end up in one of this situations.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

A quick point to add...
    To run LTE on a Device, you Need a LTE SIM, LTE Capable Device, LTE Plan, and a LTE Network.
    You need those 4 things to be able to Have LTE on your device.
    The 9900 or any new bb out right now will never suport LTE.
    Even with the LTE SIM and LTE Plan, you will not get LTE Speeds becuase the 9900 handles only 14Mbps Speed. Where as LTE is 21 for my understanding.
    So that being said, whether you do get a "LTE" Sim or stick with the one you got...you will only get max speeds of up to 14mpbs until a BB device is released that can go up to LTE Speeds.
    CrackBerry Genius

But are regular consumers willing to adapt to wireless internet when you get a fraction of the data usage for a high price?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,336 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otacon72 View Post
    No BlackBerry supports LTE yet. Verizon has the most widespread coverage at this point. AT&T is starting to roll it out and Sprint isn't far behind. T-Mobile seems to staying with their "4G" HSPA+ service which is a huge mistake Reality is going to catch up to T-Mobile's BS marketing eventually. They claimed the 9900 was the first 4G BB which made me laugh out loud when I read it. We'll see an LTE BB by next summer I'm sure.
    FYI, T-Mobile's HSPA+ network can be upgraded to LTE.
    (AT&T)Nokia 5110(2001)-->(Cingular)Nokia 6102i (2007)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Pearl 8120 (2008)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Bold 9700(2010)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2010)--> (Sprint) HTC Evo 4G White (2011)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2011)--> (AT&T) HTC Inspire 4G (2011)(AT&T)HTC Vivid (2012)-->(Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S III White
    ~K Bear~