Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by notafanboy View Post
    No one can deny that designing an app to handle both a rectangle and a square aspect ratio is a non-trivial problem.

On apps where the main UI content is in a scrollable area (like a mail client, browser, or newsreader) then it's dead simple.

Full screen apps are harder. Will movies be letterboxed?

What about games? For example, how playable will Angry Birds be if you can't see your target unless you zoom out or scroll to see it?
    I guarantee you that they have thought of these problems, and the Cascade SDK will abstract most of these problems from the developers, with UI components that look fantastic out-of-the-box in both resolutions. I'll bet money that they are way ahead of you.

If you've taken a look at the Cascade code released recently, these guys are not kidding around. Most of the complexities in building beautiful UI has been abstracted away so developers can focus on the core functionalities of their apps.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    How many different screen resolutions do android developers have to deal with? Let alone how many different version of Android there are out there at any given time. Plus this is nothing new for BB Developers, we have always had different models and screen sizes. Why the fuss now?
    But I *think* BGR's latent contention is that other platforms have developers more willing to make the sacrifice. We can argue with the substance of the contention, but it does seem to hold at least a little bit of water.
    CrackBerry Genius

The N-series target market is different than the L-series. The two shouldn't be compared, especially in terms of screen "resolutions". Instead, it should be compared to other keyboard models on the market, but really the N-series will be almost unrivaled in that regard.
    Blatant placeholder signature.

Global Posts
    9,327 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

It has been known for a while ...

Standardizing on Screen Resolutions for BlackBerry 10 devices «BlackBerry Developer Blog

• Full touch devices: 1280 x 720 (16:9)
    • Keyboard devices: 720 x720 (1:1)

I’m pretty sure that I know what most of you are thinking: What about the first BlackBerry 10 full touch device? Why is it a different screen resolution? This first BlackBerry 10 device has been in the works for quite some time now with lots of supply chain management and manufacturing tooling to bring it to launch. So it’s pretty much a sealed deal.
    This initial 1280 x 768 resolution difference from future devices typically affects those developers that are building a custom full screen UI, such as a game, for the first BlackBerry 10 device. If you are in this camp, you have a couple of options depending on your business needs:

1. Modify your application for each resolution to make use of the full resolution of the different BlackBerry 10 device screen resolutions
    2. Consider “letter boxing” your app to 1280 x 720 on the first BlackBerry 10 device, leaving 24 pixels on both sides of the screen, so that you don’t have any changes to make on the next generation full touch screen resolution.

The fact that we are standardizing on two main screen resolutions going forward has been largely influenced by you, our community of developers. We are committed to making the BlackBerry platform the absolute best – and easiest – application platform for you develop on in order to innovate and grow your business.
    Our frameworks are also taking these different form factors into account so that if you are using core Cascades™ controls and layouts, the UI framework will adjust the control sizing and layout as much as possible for you.

Edit: I asked to be sure. I am.
    Jonathan Geller claims to have used an N-Series Prototype.-capture.png
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-30-2012 at 04:31 PM.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    Thanked by 3:
    Bobcat665 (12-01-2012),  pkcable (11-30-2012),  W Hoa (11-30-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Can we just get a slider with the same resolution as the L series and of course a keyboard? Something similar in design to the Blackberry Blade please!
    PJD642, leejayh and Toodeurep like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    K Ink Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 1REDRUM View Post
    Can we just get a slider with the same resolution as the L series and of course a keyboard? Something similar in design to the Blackberry Blade please!
    Please don't mention the BB Blade concept, it makes me go weak in the knees. Even all my ex-girlfriends put together don't have this effect on me.
    Children of tomorrow live in the tears that fall today
    Will the sunrise of tomorrow bring in peace in any way?
    Must the world live in the shadow of atomic fear?
    Can they win the fight for peace or will they disappear?

-- Black Sabbath: Children of the Grave
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,949 Global Posts

This is dumb, you cant make a bold-keyboard type device with a res and size like the london, yet people are mad that there are two resolutions. People get mad if there ISNT a model like that because rim would be "straying from their roots" and "betraying their core users". Damn if you do damn if you don't...
    *sigh*
    Sent from my Z10 or a soon to be BB10 PlayBook

BlackBerry Curve 8530 (Virgin Mobile) -BlackBerry Bold 9900 (T-Mobile) BlackBerry Z10 (T-Mobile) + a deceased BlackBerry PlayBook 64 gig
    mcmolineux likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,122 Global Posts

Default Re: Jonathan Geller claims to have used an N-Series Prototype.

Quote Originally Posted by VeGiTo View Post
    I guarantee you that they have thought of these problems, and the Cascade SDK will abstract most of these problems from the developers, with UI components that look fantastic out-of-the-box in both resolutions. I'll bet money that they are way ahead of you.

If you've taken a look at the Cascade code released recently, these guys are not kidding around. Most of the complexities in building beautiful UI has been abstracted away so developers can focus on the core functionalities of their apps.
    Every UI framework does that abstraction. It's not a coding problem but a UX and UI design problem. Take the Angry Birds example. Either you letterbox and make the playing area tiny, or you make users side scroll. No framework can magically solve this particular problem for you.
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,324 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timmy t View Post
    How does the iPhone's resolution feel?
    The resolution feels like less dpi than the L series to me
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    CrackBerry Abuser

As of right not the ios is dealing with two screen sizes. The 4/4S and then the 5. A lot more people have the 4 or 4s than the 5 (right now anyways) and I bet some developers are STILL going to build for the 4/4S because of the number of users that will have it for the next couple years. Android is dealing with several screen sizes (I believe). I am glad to see that RIM has narrowed it down to two because there used to be A LOT!
    Pearl 8130 -> Storm 9500 -> Tour -> Pearl 9100 -> Torch 9800 -> Curve 3G -> Bold 9900 PlayBook (2.1.0.1032) -> Z10 and Q10. I need help.

Global Posts
    9,327 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Every UI framework does that abstraction. It's not a coding problem but a UX and UI design problem. Take the Angry Birds example. Either you letterbox and make the playing area tiny, or you make users side scroll. No framework can magically solve this particular problem for you.
    Correct but only applies to full screen applications, of course games being first. For others, unless you choose to lock the screen orientation it's a point you have to deal with, anyhow.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,156 Global Posts
    PIN
    2aed1ace

Default Re: Jonathan Geller claims to have used an N-Series Prototype.

I can see how the square screen could seem awkward in a world of rectangles. But even though I'm leaning toward the L, I think I might like that square thang. I do wonder about video display, though.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,537 Global Posts

Despite being the Apple-Zealot that people call Mr. Geller over and over, he's always had the inside track for getting his hands on pre-released devices....

Don't be afraid to THANK or LIKE

BBM: 7A03E5E9

What is the ultimate BlackBerry? The ultimate BlackBerry would be a device with the screen size of the Z10 along with the physical keyboard of the Q10 and the battery life of the Z30. This, would be the ultimate BlackBerry. Why they haven't built it yet remains one of the greatest mystery of BlackBerry.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,683 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D_March View Post
    How does a resolution feel awkward?
    I think he means it feels weird, or out of place or that something is just not quite right.
    Which makes sense since there have been very very few screens with a 1x1 ratio and always having had a widescreen phone, it just feels weird?
    Jonathan Geller claims to have used an N-Series Prototype.-kin.jpg
    Jonathan Geller claims to have used an N-Series Prototype.-flipout.jpg

Here's a rendering of what the BB10 N-series might look like.
    Definitely looks off without the trackpad/trackball and the BB button and the end call.

Jonathan Geller claims to have used an N-Series Prototype.-bb.jpeg
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #40  

Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    The resolution feels like less dpi than the L series to me
    And for good reason. The iPhone 5 is 326 dpi and the L-Series is 355 dpi.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,525 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D_March View Post
    How does a resolution feel awkward?
    Maybe he was meaning the aspect ratio + resolution combo?
    I could see it being awkward switching to a screen half the size of a full touchscreen BB10.
    Maybe he meant the BB10 UI was awkward on 1/2 a screen?
    CrackBerry Addict

My two cents... the 720x720 viewable area will look like a L series area where the keyboard is not active. Not sure what that will mean with respect to how the apps will act. But that seems like a logical outcome. I do wonder what the games will feel like. The movies, etc will all just end up getting letterboxed. Not a great thing.

What BB really needs to come up with is the Slider that has the same screen as the London. Torch slider - live on!
    PJD642 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

This is pretty slick! I've never seen this concept before.
    CrackBerry Genius

No one can deny that designing an app to handle both a rectangle and a square aspect ratio is a non-trivial problem.

On apps where the main UI content is in a scrollable area (like a mail client, browser, or newsreader) then it's dead simple.

Full screen apps are harder. Will movies be letterboxed?

What about games? For example, how playable will Angry Birds be if you can't see your target unless you zoom out or scroll to see it?
    I kinda think people who are buying qwerty phones arent too big into using them for movies.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

Default Jonathan Geller claims to have used an N-Series Prototype.

Geller likes Apple for sure. People here hate him because he has forsaken BB. When he was a RIM zealot you all loved him. Fact is, he has been right in many aspects about RIM's issues, whether you like him or not. Let the flaming begin, but it does not make it true.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VZW iPhone 5 32GB / Blk

(HTC 8x WP8, BB Z10, iPhone 4S, Droid Incredible 2, BB Storm2, BB 9650 prior.)
    Thanked by:
    mikeo007 (11-30-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Geller and his cronies at iBGR are a joke.. They don't report on many of the positive stories about RIM....just the negative ones and the neutral ones that they add their anti-RIM spin to.....and don't get me started on the inaccurate articles *cough*RIM discontinuing the PlayBook*cough* which he published within the last year. His site is the National Enquirer of tech....
    Jake Storm likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,683 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leejayh View Post
    My two cents... the 720x720 viewable area will look like a L series area where the keyboard is not active. Not sure what that will mean with respect to how the apps will act. But that seems like a logical outcome. I do wonder what the games will feel like. The movies, etc will all just end up getting letterboxed. Not a great thing.

What BB really needs to come up with is the Slider that has the same screen as the London. Torch slider - live on!
    Having a larger screen with a 1x1 ratio is only adding more screen space. Even though some games will have black bars if they are natively widescreen, the physical size of the application itself will not be changed. I think this can even be used to their advantage such as displaying notifications below or above the application while the application runs using only the middle portion of the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by playbookster View Post
    I kinda think people who are buying qwerty phones arent too big into using them for movies.
    True. I haven't watched many videos on my qwerty phones, if any. And as I mentioned above, having the larger screen albeit with a 1x1 ratio means that videos will physically take up the same space but with perhaps unused space above or below (or letterboxed) or perhaps used for notifications.

Global Posts
    10,389 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

The only thing I have to say about this is thanks to the OP for posting enough that I don't need to boost bgr's (notice the intentional use of lowercase letters there) traffic stats to know what's going on.
    I wish you'd remove that link though.

Ok, I guess one other thing: I can see where a 1x1 screen would feel awkward. I can't think of anything else that has a 1x1 screen.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,537 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nindia View Post
    This is pretty slick! I've never seen this concept before.
    The BlackBerry Blade is a well known concept design. If you show this to the pro-slider people though.... it just might set this thread on fire.

Don't be afraid to THANK or LIKE

BBM: 7A03E5E9

What is the ultimate BlackBerry? The ultimate BlackBerry would be a device with the screen size of the Z10 along with the physical keyboard of the Q10 and the battery life of the Z30. This, would be the ultimate BlackBerry. Why they haven't built it yet remains one of the greatest mystery of BlackBerry.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,981 Global Posts

Geller's only tech credentials are probably that he blew some guy at RIM for a sneek peek at an upcoming phone back in the day at some point and made a name for himself by doing so. When he wiped his chin one day and wasn't given a dev alpha he freaked out on twitter. You guys need to just stop visiting his Site and posting links here. No hits, no money, no Geller. Like most tech bloggers he is a clown that could neither pass journalism school or engineering school but could cobble together some code with help from "HTML for Dummies" and act like an expert in both.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast