Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Jonathan Geller claims to have used an N-Series Prototype.

The Dev Alpha C was just announced, but it hasn't been shown has it? For those who don't want to click through:

My other concern is RIM is already showing a break in the company’s focus by introducing two different screen sizes from the gate. The BlackBerry L-series will have a 1280 x 768 screen resolution and the BlackBerry N-series have a 720 x 720-pixel display. In my time playing with an N-series prototype, this square resolution felt incredibly awkward and it’s now two screen sizes that RIM’s developer community has to account for when making apps. Add this to the fact that RIM has enough trouble getting developers on board — of course Microsoft is having trouble there, too — and this feels like it’s not the most optimal scenario.
    I want to say he's lying, because why on earth would RIM let BGR have an advanced look at the QWERTY BB10's?

Source
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,425 Global Posts

How does a resolution feel awkward?
    CrackBerry Abuser

My only question about the new Resolution is, how will videos & games look?
    TuT on how to add a custom font to Blackberry(tested on 9900).
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...y-apps-715393/

How to get the blackberry logo font on your Blackberry(tested on 9900).
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...efault-714576/
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D_March View Post
    How does a resolution feel awkward?
    Because he's lying. That statement doesn't even make sense. Square shape, sure why not . To each his own.....resolution nope.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Also want to point out that statement about RIM having trouble getting developers on board. Maybe a year ago, but it sure doesn't look that way today. Finally, 2 resolutions is a bad idea? I understand RIM aims to change the full touch resolution later but still, what about Androids?
    diegonei likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I find it hard to believe that BGR has an N-Series prototype before there's been even the smallest of leaks.
    diegonei likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

My other concern is RIM is already showing a break in the company’s focus by introducing two different screen sizes from the gate. The BlackBerry L-series will have a 1280 x 768 screen resolution and the BlackBerry N-series have a 720 x 720-pixel display. In my time playing with an N-series prototype, this square resolution felt incredibly awkward and it’s now two screen sizes that RIM’s developer community has to account for when making apps. Add this to the fact that RIM has enough trouble getting developers on board — of course Microsoft is having trouble there, too — and this feels like it’s not the most optimal scenario.

TWO screen sizes??? OH NOEZ!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,762 Global Posts

Yeah exactly. We Just found out there would be a Dev Alpha C....and the ones that own previous dev alpha's have to register to get the C one. Registration started what, Wednesday?

I smell a liar.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,645 Global Posts

1) I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that if there are prototypes out there, BGR got his hands on one.

2) So he doesn't like it. And? He is allowed his opinion. I'm allowed mine.
    Thanked by:
    lewcat (12-02-2012) 
    motor96, Blacklatino and peter9477 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,425 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trelawrence View Post
    1) I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that if there are prototypes out there, BGR got his hands on one.

2) So he doesn't like it. And? He is allowed his opinion. I'm allowed mine.
    I agree, I just don't understand what he said.
    CrackBerry Genius

The idea that two resolutions seems rather disingenuous a complaint to make when you consider the much wider variation in both ios and android, especially since the common width of the two bb10 devices will mean that a lot of portrait-orientated apps will work seamlessly with the l-series models simply having less scrolling needed.
    CrackBerry Genius

Default Jonathan Geller claims to have used an N-Series Prototype.

Apple has 4 screen sizes. Big ipad, small ipad, iphone and iphone 5.. That doesn't seem to be an issue for mr geller.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    K Ink Wink

If you read the comments, they seem to bash with just about 1 agreeing to a single point. I would rather not believe this for my own reasons.

I smell...

Jonathan Geller claims to have used an N-Series Prototype.-images.jpg
    Children of tomorrow live in the tears that fall today
    Will the sunrise of tomorrow bring in peace in any way?
    Must the world live in the shadow of atomic fear?
    Can they win the fight for peace or will they disappear?

-- Black Sabbath: Children of the Grave
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    11,901 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nindia View Post
    I find it hard to believe that BGR has an N-Series prototype before there's been even the smallest of leaks.
    Surely you are aware that RIM has had press briefings with the devices right? He's used one. Just because people disagree with his opinion, doesn't make him a liar. Consider the positive things he has said as well, he's not wrong in saying RIM has had struggles:

Switching to RIM, the company is actually doing a lot of things right in my book. I respect that everyone there has been huddled up, focused on a single product and operating system and put all of their time into getting it as right as they can. Whether that means anything at all, we’ll soon see; RIM has probably been one of the worst players in the mobile space as far as execution is concerned but Thorsten Heins seems to have a better grasp on where the company can take advantage in different markets and at what price point, though RIM’s market share is declining so rapidly that not even BrickBreaker can save the company there.
    Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard. - The Doctor

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Connectedly]
    Thanked by 10:
    BB10FTW (11-30-2012),  Blacklatino (12-01-2012),  crazeee4u (12-02-2012),  howarmat (11-30-2012),  mikelcal (12-01-2012),  mikeo007 (11-30-2012),  motor96 (12-02-2012),  Plazmic Flame (11-30-2012),  reeneebob (12-02-2012),  Syrous44 (12-01-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    Surely you are aware that RIM has had press briefings with the devices right? He's used one. Just because people disagree with his opinion, doesn't make him a liar. Consider the positive things he has said as well, he's not wrong in saying RIM has had struggles:
    Thanks for the reply Bla1ze! I had no clue the N-series has been shown in anyway. RIM has been good at stopping it from leaking so far.
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    11,901 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harborcoat View Post
    Thanks for the reply Bla1ze! I had no clue the N-series has been shown in anyway. RIM has been good at stopping it from leaking so far.
    No problem, see here as well - Many hands on BlackBerry 10 Phones: Ten things we're looking forward to so far | CrackBerry.com

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    The idea that two resolutions seems rather disingenuous a complaint to make when you consider the much wider variation in both ios and android, especially since the common width of the two bb10 devices will mean that a lot of portrait-orientated apps will work seamlessly with the l-series models simply having less scrolling needed.
    It's not really that there are different screen sizes. It's the fact that the BB10 keyboard model is an outlier when it comes to the aspect ratio.

The aspect ratios for the iPhones and the Android phones are in the range of 1.5:1 to 1.8:1
    The aspect ratio of the BB10 keyboard is 1:1 and well out of that range.

You've got hundreds of models including the BB10 full screen falling in that range. Simply stated, if your mind gets used to expecting rectangles, and you are shown a square, it feels awkward. That's what the writer meant.
    Thanked by:
    reeneebob (12-02-2012) 
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    11,901 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Im Mo Green View Post
    Slow down buddy, don't go on tilt here. With regards to the New series prototype, he probably spent some time with it in the summer when rim was showing the prototypes to tech blogs. He decided to write about it now, since it's closer to launch and rim has been in the news lately especially with some positive headlines and good stock performance as of late. Their will be more from him, relax.

We have heard others on these forums talk about different resolutions being a problem. Personally to me it he said nothing of real substance with regards to rim in that piece today He also takes a weak shot at the launch of the N series not tied to the L series. Nothing new there as well BGR spitting in the wind today.
    I don't get his whole resolution gripe. Developers have been dealing with that for years from RIM, now they actually have LESS (and consistent) resolutions to deal with.

Thanked by:
    wu-wei (12-01-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

I don't get his whole resolution gripe. Developers have been dealing with that for years from RIM, now they actually have LESS (and consistent) resolutions to deal with.
    Agree 100% Blaze. It was on the whole a "balanced " post by BGR. Nothing to see here!!!!!!!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,415 Global Posts

He's entitled to his opinion but I don't see him as credible sad to say. But who knows maybe it does feel unbalanced but most things are trade offs and Geller seems to forget that.

EDIT: I'm assume that saying the resolution felt awkward is the same as balanced. Maybe its the keyboard being to low? You just don't always know with him.
    CrackBerry Master

How does the iPhone's resolution feel?
    BB10FTW likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

RIM has shown them (the L-series and the N-series to selected groups before...

"The full keyboard phone (what we're currently thinking of as the newest Bold), was along the lines of what we've been hoping for and expecting to see. The phone's footprint is similar to the Bold 9900, featuring a 1:1 ratio at 720x720 resolution. As has been previously posted on, we were stoked to see with our own eyes that both devices had removable battery doors.

Both the full touchscreen and keyboard models have that unmistakable BlackBerry look to them, which we all agree is a good thing. In today's sea of smartphones, BlackBerry 10 phones should have no trouble being recognized from a distance. The real magic of BlackBerry 10 happens though in your hand, once you power the device on. "
    CrackBerry Addict

Have you played with the N-series?

Someone had to ask.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,161 Global Posts

No one can deny that designing an app to handle both a rectangle and a square aspect ratio is a non-trivial problem.

On apps where the main UI content is in a scrollable area (like a mail client, browser, or newsreader) then it's dead simple.

Full screen apps are harder. Will movies be letterboxed?

What about games? For example, how playable will Angry Birds be if you can't see your target unless you zoom out or scroll to see it?
    Thanked by:
    reeneebob (12-02-2012) 

Global Posts
    33,131 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

How many different screen resolutions do android developers have to deal with? Let alone how many different version of Android there are out there at any given time. Plus this is nothing new for BB Developers, we have always had different models and screen sizes. Why the fuss now?
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast