Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree16Likes
  • 8 Post By limh5
  • 1 Post By Lead_Express
  • 1 Post By Michelle Haag
  • 1 Post By youknwwho
  • 1 Post By limh5
  • 2 Post By Caymancroc
  • 1 Post By _StephenBB81
  • 1 Post By Rootbrian
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Introducing the BlackBerry Invincible!

The PlayBook Moon Rover (Code Name: BlackBerry Invincible) is the first space vehicle powered by a smartphone operating system. It includes a BlackBerry PlayBook running the QNX Tablet OS. The rover, including the modified BlackBerry PlayBook, are designed to withstand the temperature range of -250C to 250C, which is experienced on the moon. This video is an introduction and a simple illustration intended for the average person of all ages. More detailed videos demonstrating the scientific and commercial abilities of the rover will be uploaded in the coming days.

Enjoy,

Michael
    PlayBook Moon Landing Team

P.S. Video was exported straight from CAD software.
    Last edited by limh5; 12-20-2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: P.S. Video was exported straight from CAD software.
    Thanked by 5:
    00stryder (12-21-2011),  BigBadWulf (12-21-2011),  JPMorgan_ (12-20-2011),  maddie1128 (12-20-2011),  recompile (12-20-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

Awesome!

Thank you for Bringing that to the forums!
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    Thanked by:
    limh5 (12-20-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts

because running nuclear reactors wasn't enough...
    limh5 likes this.
    Mobile Nations Staff

Global Posts
    1,914 Global Posts

Awesome Michael, we're always happy to see your progress.
    Twitter @_Miche11e_ .::. BBM Channel C0001B3B5

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your effing smartphone.
    "Be silent or let thy words be worth more than silence." - Pythagoras
    Thanked by:
    limh5 (12-20-2011) 
    limh5 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    305 Global Posts

When the rover landed on the moon, it'll be the same for the nation of CB as it is for the US when the Apollo mission landed
    Thanked by:
    limh5 (12-20-2011) 
    limh5 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by youknwwho View Post
    When the rover landed on the moon, it'll be the same for the nation of CB as it is for the US when the Apollo mission landed
    ROFLMAO

No. No it won't. A cool thing, yes, but to put it on that level - lol.
    CrackBerry Addict

This is going to be so sweet!!
    BlackBerry Z10 + Playbook 64GB, Bold 9900, Bold 9700, Curve 8900, Curve 8320, Blackberry 7290

BlackBerry Addicts Similar to Alcoholics
    Thanked by:
    limh5 (12-20-2011) 
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by limh5 View Post

The PlayBook Moon Rover (Code Name: BlackBerry Invincible) is the first space vehicle powered by a smartphone operating system. It includes a BlackBerry PlayBook running the QNX Tablet OS. The rover, including the modified BlackBerry PlayBook, are designed to withstand the temperature range of -250C to 250C, which is experienced on the moon. This video is an introduction and a simple illustration intended for the average person of all ages. More detailed videos demonstrating the scientific and commercial abilities of the rover will be uploaded in the coming days.

Enjoy,

Michael
    PlayBook Moon Landing Team

Could you give a short explanation about why QNX is good for this kind of application
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by anthogag View Post
    Could you give a short explanation about why QNX is good for this kind of application
    Simply put, QNX is the best software for space exploration. It's because it's a RTOS (real-time OS) and its microkernel architecture (leading to strong multi-tasking and self-healing properties). In fact, it's been mentioned in this forum that Mars rovers Opportunity and Spirit both run on QNX. One of them is still roaming Mars today (exceeded mission requirements by over 1,000% I believe in terms of hours operated and distance traveled).

My colleague at Neptec (an engineering design firm in Ottawa) is designing a rover that runs on Linux. While another OS like Linux might be adequate for the moon, the additional distance and demanding conditions on Mars would be too much for it to handle (sandstorms, etc). And if a space agency like NASA is going beyond Mars, QNX is literally the only option they have. While we're only sending it to the moon, we decided to use the best option available.

P.S. The robotic arms Canadarm and Canadarm 2 (currently on the ISS) are both powered by QNX.

Some info from the QNX website: QNX Neutrino RTOS
    uzmarvel likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts

One small rover for man, one giant soft reset for mankind.

I heard the Playbook was going to send an email from the moon, but there was no native email client.

Now the martians can finally ***** about not having Netflix and OS 2.0 delays!

Was this Playbook one of the original ones they paid $499 for, or were you guys able to save a few bucks and score one for $199? I figure you will need all the money you can get if you need gas money for going to the moon.
    Last edited by Caymancroc; 12-21-2011 at 12:04 AM.
    Shlooky and bllbored like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Caymancroc View Post

I heard the Playbook was going to send an email from the moon, but there was no native email client.

Was this Playbook one of the original ones they paid $499 for, or were you guys able to save a few bucks and score one for $199? I figure you will need all the money you can get if you need gas money for going to the moon.

NASA was also pissed after they discovered the PB 2.0 won't have native BBM, but it wouldn't make a difference since the onboard LED won't notify them anyway...

In addition to that, NASA just announced a delay on the launch date stating that both Best Buy and Shop Blackberry have cancelled NASA's orders. Don't worry, WalMart and Offce Depot will be selling the PBs needed, for about 12 minutes before they sell out, again...

(P.S. I LOVE my PlayBook, especially paired with my 9930 )

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by limh5 View Post
    Simply put, QNX is the best software for space exploration. It's because it's a RTOS (real-time OS) and its microkernel architecture (leading to strong multi-tasking and self-healing properties). In fact, it's been mentioned in this forum that Mars rovers Opportunity and Spirit both run on QNX. One of them is still roaming Mars today (exceeded mission requirements by over 1,000% I believe in terms of hours operated and distance traveled).

My colleague at Neptec (an engineering design firm in Ottawa) is designing a rover that runs on Linux. While another OS like Linux might be adequate for the moon, the additional distance and demanding conditions on Mars would be too much for it to handle (sandstorms, etc). And if a space agency like NASA is going beyond Mars, QNX is literally the only option they have. While we're only sending it to the moon, we decided to use the best option available.

P.S. The robotic arms Canadarm and Canadarm 2 (currently on the ISS) are both powered by QNX.

Some info from the QNX website: QNX Neutrino RTOS
    great reply

and I was not aware the Canadarm was Powered by QNX,
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    Thanked by:
    limh5 (12-23-2011) 
    limh5 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,663 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle of phones: BB!

now where did i put that thread about how to advertise the BB/PB/BB10 . . .
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    954 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AA07827

The Blackberry Invincible may need a Blackberry screen wiper to move away the moon dust that will collect on the screen no doubt.

If this became a reality, launched onto the moon, and positioned right, I'd love to read off the screen via my Meade Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope

Global Posts
    9,880 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Wow, nice job !
    Hope you let the videochat available
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares

Global Posts
    35,404 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

Hmmmmmmmmm, I wonder if we can get Joe "on board".

http://forums.crackberry.com/off-top...-space-677011/
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caymancroc View Post

Don't you know...astronauts have BB phones...you can only use bridge on the moon

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

It's invinciple that it can survive outerspace and being eaten alive by a dinosour, bear, fish and also, being mauled by fighting businesses! XD

I love the name
    I just love humor!
    Thanked by:
    limh5 (12-23-2011) 
    limh5 likes this.