Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,539 Global Posts
    PIN
    Oh look...tools. Now I can fix the infractions that I've been given.
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Interesting CNBC Article "What, No Instagram or Pandora? The BlackBerry App Problem"

Please excuse for posting this again. I accidentally posted it in the wrong forum.

Hey everyone,

I found this interesting article from CNBC while walking my dog tonight. Crackberry is even mentioned in this article as well. I am posting a link to an article and video that expresses different analytical views regarding Blackberry and their new devices.

What, No Instagram or Pandora? The BlackBerry App Problem

I also recommend watching this video as well. Oh and by the way, my dog Toby left Jennifer Fritzsche a nice present for her to step in.

RIM Back to Slow Motion? - CNBC

Video Transcript:

Online with, Jennifer fritzsche. good morning to you. a classic sell on the news or a reel belief the company is in a weakened position or both. sounds like you might be more of the latter. yes, i think it wasn't enough. we still have real strong doubts. ville more related to the model and the service revenue changes which was very high margin and revenue stream for them. do you believe it is not revolutionary enough or is that not the point? the buzz around the phone was quite good from a lot of reviewers and it's competitive. for r.i.m. it is too late. they are making on the service revenue aspect of it you look at it Motorola provided a very good example, just very hard to make money, even when your shipping 30 to 50 million a that is a slippery slope that r.i.m. is changing. those who aren't aware, services is where the margins are fatter, the majority of gross project, the sweet spot? a third of r.i.m.'s revenue comes from service revenue. we estimate and we don't know for sure, but about 90% of the profits. we are sure the handset is a negative operating margin. talk about their marketing support. hypes on the today show talking about spending several hundreds of millions of dollars in the next quarter, we know about the super bowl add Sunday, $2 billion in cash, enough there there? a lot of people, the bulls on the stock will look at the cash value, point to the change in cash value alone. i think that is irrelevant. we have them burning almost 700 million in cash next year. that might even be conservative because we really, as you mentioned, they talked about 100 million spent to mark threat thing. we have to bring that number up, put more drain on the cash number. spending more to market this the same time, Jennifer, coming out to market at a delay once again. there is a strong belief that Samsung will come out with another competitive product around the galaxy family before that time. you know, while you can get it to be fair to r.i.m. and other countries this week, even tomorrow, the u.s. testing process could make that march time-frame be later march, puts it every week here so critical. people have compassion for Thorsten Heins, given a hospital pass by the founders when he took over the company. he has bought companies to make it trendier, the touch screen facility a big pet Beth on the way people might use phones in the future, he has brought in to market 70,000 apps with it. What more could the man have done realistically against Samsung sand apple? anything could have done yesterday to have held that stock up? to be very fair, you were right, he was dealt a very difficult hand when he stepped into this role. he has been -- he has done what he could with a very bad lot. however, however, i think the market is against him. you mention 70,000 apps, Simon, but there are some that are missing and it becomes a chicken and egg type thing, people will come to them only if certain apps are there and if -- if those apps -- if people come, the apps probably will come. necessary a very tough position and I think he's done the best co-with a very difficult hand. last question, you know, some argue that maybe their best foot forward would have been to put the keyboard -- the q up first. targeting the people waiting for a new keyboard device for a while would that have mattered? i think there is blackberry loyalists do stay for the keyboard alone. there is something to be said for that, but that is coming likely in April. it is what it is, a lot of doubts and a lot of uncertainty about what the model will look like because of there world of the high margin revenue stream for them. talk about a competitive space. Jennifer, thanks for your time.
    MePiikan...You shall not be forgotten.

CrackBerry BadBoy

Community Rules & Guidelines
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    771 Global Posts

Same old sh!t argument by a BB hater. Find an app name people know, and wail about it not being there. There are plenty of apps for music and photo sharing, but focus the negative on these "missing" apps. Cheap sh!t poor excuse for reporting. Probably got an email with tips and instructions from apple.
    Thanked by:
    3hb78ftg (02-06-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by Brianflys View Post
    Same old sh!t argument by a BB hater. Find an app name people know, and wail about it not being there. There are plenty of apps for music and photo sharing, but focus the negative on these "missing" apps. Cheap sh!t poor excuse for reporting. Probably got an email with tips and instructions from apple.
    Yeah... does anyone really use Instagram or Pandora

We all knew that RIM/BB needed to have ALL of the major apps on board at launch or they would get flack for it. Let just hope that by the US launch that we have more than just commitments or promises. Because I can tell you that there are people that will not buy a BB10 if it doesn't have some of those Key Apps - every app in the top 50 needs to be there.
    jegs2, m1a1mg and JeepBB like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts

Honestly I'm kinda of releaved the biggest problem is the apps, which I honestly don't consider a major problem, they should come soon enough.

The fact that the only negative things I've really heard is about lack of apps, and not about hardware, or the new OS, is promising to me. If they had 700,000 apps at launch, some people would find something to not like about it anyways.
    JR A, Geeoff, zyben and 1 others like this.

Global Posts
    5,810 Global Posts

Instagram is coming, and as for Pandora, it's not even available in Canada (not sure about the UK) so it's a non-issue.... for now. The question is, are they goin to have it available come time for the US launch.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,327 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scalemaster34 View Post
    Yeah... does anyone really use Instagram or Pandora
    Yes. I use Pandora a lot. If the BB 10 doesn't have that application once they come to the US, I'll be keeping my 9930 longer - which does have Pandora.
    March of the Smartphones: Handspring Visor with Digital Link > Handspring Treo 600 > Sprint PPC 6700 > Palm Centro > Blackberry Tour 9630 > Blackberry Bold 9650 > Blackberry Torch 9850 > Palm Treo 755p > Blackberry Bold 9930 > iPhone 4s (issued by work)
    CrackBerry Genius

Default Re: Interesting CNBC Article "What, No Instagram or Pandora? The BlackBerry App Problem"

Quote Originally Posted by jegs2 View Post
    Yes. I use Pandora a lot. If the BB 10 doesn't have that application once they come to the US, I'll be keeping my 9930 longer - which does have Pandora.
    And there is the main thing. The biggest music app in Pandora is on older devices, yet not on the new BB10...as of yet.

If no Pandora or Netflix, the two biggest apps I use then no point for to switch from a device that does.

Here is hoping they implement them into the ecosystem as I love the hardware and software looks good too!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    jegs2 and m1a1mg like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    771 Global Posts

There are plenty of music streaming apps besides Pandora. And I would love to know how many people really stream Netflix on phones. I'm at the airport constantly and never see people watching movies or TV on a phone. Maybe on a tablet, rarely, but never a phone.

This missing app nonsense is a red herring to create hysteria and negative press.
    Thanked by:
    BKbehave (02-06-2013) 
    alieannie and BKbehave like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,539 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Brianflys View Post
    Probably got an email with tips and instructions from apple.
    Good one

I for one prefer Slacker. I used to have a paid Pandora account for quite some time but cancelled it after trying Slacker radio.

CrackBerry BadBoy

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    On Pluto...available upon request

She's just another analyst trying to drive down the stock for profit. I bet she is day trading BBRY and making money off it. She honestly doesn't see the potential in BlackBerry which makes her suck at her job. I wished CNBC had a thumbs down button like youtube. Or even comments section of the video.
    JR A likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,096 Global Posts

Default Interesting CNBC Article "What, No Instagram or Pandora? The BlackBerry App Problem"

I don't think we need to worry about apps that are on 9930 like pandora. I have a feeling they will come. Bb10 is going to have more users than the old os.

I would worry a bit more about apps that never made it to bbos, such as netflix.

Either way though, I don't think lack of netflix is a problem. I think instagram is more important for the masses.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,539 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Can someone honestly predict a win or lose situation based on 2 apps not being present at an initial launch??? Even if they were to never come to BB10, people are still going to buy the phone anyway. I mean one doesn't go out and buy a phone just to listen to internet radio or take pictures. There are a lot of other factors involved and I think that strategic analysts should be required to actually use a product before expressing their "professional" opinion.

I wonder if she believed that the world was going to end on Dec. 21, 2012...

CrackBerry BadBoy

Global Posts
    7,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jordandrews90 View Post
    Honestly I'm kinda of releaved the biggest problem is the apps, which I honestly don't consider a major problem, they should come soon enough.

The fact that the only negative things I've really heard is about lack of apps, and not about hardware, or the new OS, is promising to me. If they had 700,000 apps at launch, some people would find something to not like about it anyways.
    You mean you haven't heard about the sub-standard functionality of the Bedside mode and notification customization compared to BBOS? I consider these much worse issues than apps for a launch as BlackBerry should have know that people would want these still in a new phone!

As for the apps mentioned, yes they are needed. Too many people use them to ignore them and the competition has them. Whether or not a particular user wants them is irrelevant, because the smartphone buying populous as a whole has shown their is a demand for them.
    jegs2, JeepBB and ccbs like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts

Windows phones dont have (never had) Instagram or Pandora either so...........
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    You mean you haven't heard about the sub-standard functionality of the Bedside mode and notification customization compared to BBOS? I consider these much worse issues than apps for a launch as BlackBerry should have know that people would want these still in a new phone!
    Agree - I think legacy BB features should be implemented ASAP! I created my wishlist here - My wishlist for Z10 OS update - 90% is probably legacy features from BBOS 7.
    Dear BlackBerry,
    1. Fix Contacts App (at the bare minimum: create 2 options - clear all links and disable auto-linking of contacts)
    2. In your advertisement/commercials, please advertise "Android Player" as one of the features (you could show/print Android logo and advertise limited compatibility)
    3. Support Google Play / Google APIs in Android Player so Google Now, Maps, Hangouts/Voice work flawlessly or convince Google to develop NATIVE apps for BB10.
    jegs2 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    954 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AA07827

Quote Originally Posted by shemaree09 View Post
    Windows phones dont have Instagram or Pandora either so...........
    SSSSSSSSHHHHHHH!!!!!!!.....

We're talking about why Blackberry sucks here! What's wrong with you?!?!

Come on man!!!

Anyways....instagram is almost practically onboard so CNBC is wrong. Not that they'll change/correct themselves. It goes against their "narrative".
    shemaree09 and 3hb78ftg like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,479 Global Posts

Search BB World for Apollo for Pandora, way better than what we had in BB7

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    "If you can't find anything wrong with your OS of choice, you might be a fanboy, if you can't find anything RIGHT with the smartphone OSes you DON'T use, you're definitely a fanboy." - Ashley Esqueda

Trough the Phone Lens C0019FC6B
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    PIN

Another "journalist" trying to make a name for herself by following the formula of doom-n-gloom and chasing trends in the headlines.

Meh.

Global Posts
    5,794 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Pandora does no good whatsoever, since it isn't available outside the US. I strongly believe Instagram will be on board in time for the US launch, too.

"Max Power doesn't 'cuddle'! You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!"
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    On Pluto...available upon request

We know there is no Instagram on BlackBerry for the moment, no Skype, no Netflix, but we do know that Instagram and Skype are coming to BlackBerry. This could be another reason why BlackBerry 10 was delayed in the US. The delay gives a little more time to developers to try and release them for the US. Maybe Netflix is coming also or maybe they will redo their website so we don't need an app. I thought silverlight was dead anyway?
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,370 Global Posts

No BBM. The Samsung app problem
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    Umedon, TheQ805, JR A and 1 others like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,303 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    No BBM. The Samsung app problem
    And there is no Netflix or Skype, not even a commitment, for Tizen either
    CrackBerry Abuser

I am not going to buy a bb10 if it doesn't have pandora.
    jegs2 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,539 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

Quote Originally Posted by kbeard26 View Post
    We know there is no Instagram on BlackBerry for the moment, no Skype, no Netflix, but we do know that Instagram and Skype are coming to BlackBerry. This could be another reason why BlackBerry 10 was delayed in the US. The delay gives a little more time to developers to try and release them for the US. Maybe Netflix is coming also or maybe they will redo their website so we don't need an app. I thought silverlight was dead anyway?
    Good point...

CrackBerry BadBoy

CrackBerry Abuser

The article is right, BB10 does need these apps to survive. It needs all the big apps and its a **** of when they aren't there. Having said that, having these apps are not within blackberry's control and I honestly think they did what they could to go as many apps out there as possible..and not just fart apps, but real ones. It is going to take time for the platform to get all the apps. I'm not a big app user myself, I need one whatsapp and bb10 doesn't have it yet .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast