• 2 Post By sleepngbear
    CrackBerry User

CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,871 Global Posts

Short and sweet and incomplete?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    r0v3rT3N likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2973C0E8

Could you possibly post the article on here for those of us without a subscription to the WSJ?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Thanks for the interesting paragraph
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    prlck

Default All do it that way

In today's world of software patents that is the only you can develop a product. You have to aquire or license technology.
    BB; I get the call, I get the email, I get the TXT, I get the work, I get the money. I get it.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,173 Global Posts

Full article here. Nothing new here. Every smartphone is portfolio of in-house innovation, patents, third party apps and licensing of technology. iPhone & Android phone are no different.

RIM's New BlackBerry 10: The Patchwork Smartphone
    By WILL CONNORS

When Research in Motion Ltd. RIMM +3.56% unveiled the prototype of its upcoming BlackBerry last month, two features stole the show—a predictive touch-screen keyboard and a camera that takes a series of near-instantaneous images for the perfect shot.

But unlike with earlier BlackBerry models, RIM didn't design either tool—it's licensing the technology from two different European developers. In fact, most of the device's critical features are a patchwork of hardware and software obtained quietly through about a dozen acquisitions and multiple licensing deals over the past two years.

RIM CEO Thorsten Heins holds up a prototype of the new BlackBerry.

The features include the device's interface, which allows a user to navigate through the phone's features, and the operating system itself.

Buying up or licensing the latest technological gizmo is nothing new in the arms race that has broken out among the world's top smartphone makers. Apple Inc. AAPL +1.53% bought the technology that powers its popular Siri voice-activation software. Other industry players—from Google Inc. GOOG +1.78% to Samsung Electronics Co. 005930.SE +0.59% —regularly bolster their own devices and operating systems with deal making.

But RIM has taken the strategy farther than most big players, at a crucial time for a company that practically invented the smartphone and once held unrivaled dominance over the market.

It's also a big departure for RIM, which once prided itself on its in-house engineering. That all changed as the iPhone and other popular smartphones overtook the BlackBerry as the mobile device of choice, leading RIM to look for outside help.

Now RIM executives are racing to sew together all of these pieces in time for the device's launch expected this year. Converting to an entirely new operating system is an enormous task all by itself.

RIM also has to integrate the new technologies—and the many employees—of several smaller companies in globally distant offices while shedding jobs tied to older phone models. It must cut costs associated with those older BlackBerrys while maintaining the services for existing users.

The number of acquisitions going into this one product may make it especially challenging, said Maribel Lopez, principal analyst at Lopez Research, a San Francisco-based research firm. "It's almost too many things to integrate at the same time," she said.

New Chief Executive Thorsten Heins has promised the new phone by the end of the year. Amid crumbling market share in the U.S, falling BlackBerry sales around the world and a tanking stock price, RIM is essentially betting the company's future on the new device.

Mr. Heins is also weighing a broad range of strategic options for the company, and has hired investment banks to help sift through alternatives.

RIM's recent heavy reliance on acquisitions and licensing deals means that, on top of all that, he will need to seamlessly combine all these variously sourced technologies into what has to be a near-flawless launch.

RIM has revealed very little of what the phone will look like. Early in May, it handed out prototypes of the device, loaded with a working version of its operating system, to allow developers to start creating apps.

RIM said it's up to the task, and the resulting phone—while using its own and acquired or licensed technology—will be "uniquely BlackBerry," according to a spokeswoman.

"We use a number of ingredients including our own unique inventions and designs to create the best user experience," the spokeswoman said in a statement.

RIM says the key to the new phone is its new operating system, called BlackBerry 10. It's a system based on technology it obtained in the 2010 acquisition of Ottawa-based QNX Software Systems Ltd. for about $200 million.

The system has powered nuclear power plants and medical devices, and RIM is already using it to run its PlayBook tablet. The company expects it will eventually power all of its mobile devices.

Meanwhile, the new phone's interface—the system that lets a user move back and forth between features like email and gives apps their distinctive look and feel on a device—is largely based on technology developed by a small Swedish tech company called The Astonishing Tribe, which RIM bought in 2010 for an undisclosed sum.

RIM licensed the camera technology of the new phone from Scalado AB of Sweden. U.K.-based TouchType Ltd. makes the predictive touch-screen keyboard, called SwiftKey, which RIM has licensed for the phone.

RIM has also bought a host of other small companies whose technology is expected to help power or enhance the phones' video sharing, Web browsing and messaging tools. Last month, RIM announced a licensing deal with Dutch company TomTom International BV to power traffic and map-related apps on BlackBerrys.

RIM has already struggled with fully integrating some of its technology acquisitions.

When RIM acquired QNX and The Astonishing Tribe, the company was still run by longtime co-CEOs Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie, who both stepped down in January. Mr. Lazaridis, who founded the company and has long spearheaded its engineering innovations, remains on the board.

At the time of the acquisitions in 2010, Mr. Lazaridis insisted that both companies stay in their respective home cities of Ottawa and Malmo, Sweden, largely to allow them to continue developing their technology while avoiding the bureaucracy at RIM's Waterloo campus, according to people familiar with the matter.

This all didn't sit well with existing RIM employees working on other projects, according to these people. Executives would also often set staffers working on different projects to work against each other, a tactic from

RIM's early days meant to drive creativity and productivity, but one that often led to resentment and less cooperation, according to people close to the company.

Mr. Heins has tried to remedy that internal strife since taking over by focusing on the BlackBerry 10. But it is still widely believed at the company that RIM employees who are not working on the new device are in jeopardy of losing their job, say current employees and those close to the company.

"Anyone working on [the new operating system] is safe," said one current RIM employee. "Anyone working on legacy projects is preparing their resumes. I don't know anyone that isn't going to take a buyout if they offer one."

In response, the RIM spokeswoman said in an email: "While BlackBerry 10 is clearly a top priority for RIM, it is not the sole priority; and it would be inaccurate to imply that employees not working on BlackBerry 10 are not considered valuable to the company or our customers."

There have also been more minor skirmishes between RIM and its partners.

Fadi Abbas, the founder of Scalado, the company behind the camera technology that RIM showed off last month, said he was originally miffed that RIM didn't refer to his company's role during the presentation in Orlando.

RIM acknowledged the licensing agreement after a public presentation of the feature.

Mr. Abbas said it hasn't affected his relationship with RIM. He said his partnership with RIM was based on "strategic licensing that covers a lot of things," but declined to provide further details.

Write to Will Connors at william.connors@wsj.com
    Evolution of Communication: Rotary Phone > Dial Tone > Motorola Walkie-talkie > Nokia 2160 > Nokia 6190 > Samsung a460 > Samsung a920 > BB 8700 > BB 9530 > BB 9860 > PlayBook > Z10 > HTC One X+>Z30
    Thanked by 7:
    Akuji_ism (06-07-2012),  BB10FTW (06-06-2012),  Laura Knotek (06-07-2012),  mrzeolite (06-07-2012),  otacon (06-07-2012),  sleepngbear (06-06-2012),  Superfly_FR (06-07-2012) 

Good, factual 'reporting', without the opinionated doom-and-gloom pontificating for a change. I really can't fault RIM for taking this strategy. Says to me that they're acknowledging their own weaknesses and taking action that will not allow those weaknesses to diminish the quality of any aspect of the final product. I.e., RIM's expertise is not in camera or GPS technology, so they're partnering with companies that do have that expertise, just as a couple of examples. All those wheels they now don't need to reinvent, but instead figure out how to seamlessly and intuitively integrate all the technologies into one cohesive package.

BB10 is getting more interesting by the day. I think it should turn a lot of heads when it finally lands.
    Ed

Be bold. Be pantless. Then go take a nice long nap.
    Thanked by:
    BB10FTW (06-06-2012) 
    sf49ers and BB10FTW like this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

LiveProfile as BlackBerry Messenger? What a great journalism...
    CrackBerry Genius

What I find interesting is the failure of the article to talk about Gist, Tungle, JayCut, and NewBay (in fact NewBay was a HUGE purchase for RIM). The Torch acquisition is SIGNIFICANTLY more important than just the web browser. George Staikos, founder of Torch, is now VP web technologies and is the force behind RIM's push on HTML5 technologies and webkit. Gist and Tungle are powering the contacts and schedule apps for BB10 (see Life after acquisition | Gist).

Somewhere else in the forums is actually a list of all the companies RIM has acquired over the years, and the writer should have done more research rather than stating "RIM has already struggled with fully integrating some of its technology acquisitions". Every company takes time to integrate companies. The article on Gist's blog highlight this problem. Frankly, from what I've seen, at least RIM hasn't killed companies the way Yahoo has for all of their acquisitions. Apple and Google all buy lots of companies (Android was NOT an inhouse Google product but bought by Google in 05.
    Last edited by greatwiseone; 06-07-2012 at 12:25 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,980 Global Posts

Cisco pieced together a company via acquisitions. Many companies do this. Apple acquired NeXT and that basically became their PC business. Google has many acquisitions over the years. He is correct though in that it is a lot to integrate all at once, and we are seeing that now in how long it is taking to get to market.
    CrackBerry Abuser

There is nothing wrong with growing via acquisitions. I don't think the article is saying there is anything wrong with the approach. It only questions RIM's ability (based on the recent past) to integrate and utilize the technologies quickly enough. I hope they can but not confident myself as of now.
    CrackBerry Master

One thing I know for sure is that QNX makes their life much more easy to integrate. QNX's micro kernel based architecture just means a plug and play kind of architecture. so what is that matters here most? the Blackberry experience - applications should talk to each other - BBM connected, Scoreloop, Social integration etc.. But once they have these system API's ready then it is a cake walk- each group may work in silos and just use the common API's to integrate and bring in their code whenever they are ready.
    Banned

It seems to me that Rim has been a sleeping giant and a very smart one.
    CrackBerry Addict

I am trying to see the difference between these acquisitions and any other apps on BB10 only running as native apps under RIM's stewardship.
    What's the fuss?
    Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.
    - Albert Einstein
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,855 Global Posts

The funny thing is... if this doesnt work RIM will be blamed for not being able to 'put the pieces together' but if it DOES work RIM will be blamed for 'relying so heavily on other companies'
    ------------------------>LIST OF WORKING Android Apps for Z10/BB10 ---200 SO FAR!!! <------------------------