Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

If the android port works, then that's fine. Most people won't know ow the difference anyways as long as it works. It doesn't have to have cascades ui. If you see the Facebook and twitter apps as leaked, they are consistent with how those apps look on other platforms. Pretty sure same thing will happen with instagram.

As I noted in other comments, RIM should convinced the flipboards of the world to have at least an android port available...
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    12,774 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greatwiseone View Post
    If the android port works, then that's fine. Most people won't know ow the difference anyways as long as it works. It doesn't have to have cascades ui. If you see the Facebook and twitter apps as leaked, they are consistent with how those apps look on other platforms. Pretty sure same thing will happen with instagram.

As I noted in other comments, RIM should convinced the flipboards of the world to have at least an android port available...
    Sorry, I can't condone this behavior. lol. They REALLY need to be pushing to have Native apps in there. Their ecosystem of apps is still a huge player here, just like the when the PlayBook launched. Let me put it this way.. the apps are the only thing remaining that I'm truly worried about with BlackBerry 10. I can see the reviews already, no matter how good the hardware and OS is...

"Sure, it's got Instagram but it's just a port and not running natively... what? RIM couldn't get anyone to build proper apps? Just buy an iPhone or Android device, at least then you'll be getting the real goods and a better app experience"

Mark my words. It hurts to say that, because I know as a whole the products will be great but you know as well as I do, people want RIM to fail and will focus on any negative point they can and highlight it to the max. Apps is almost certainly going to be one of those points unless RIM has been doing some heavy behind the scenes work.
    Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard. - The Doctor

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Connectedly]
    Thanked by:
    howarmat (12-24-2012) 

I used Instagram on on my GS3 when I had it. I enjoyed the ease of use in tweaking pictures with the different filters. The ease of use is what sets it apart from so many other apps I've tried, on BBOS and WP. Glad it will be available for BB10! (Y)

BlackBerry Q10 By Choice

Could not have been stated more succinctly...my thoughts exactly and I think it is a very well-balanced way to look at the "app arguement"

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    Thank you for the kind words. I don't deserve the sentiments expressed, but I am grateful.

Apps did indeed become extremely popular when the iPhone came out because the initial models, and into the 3GS, really, lacked basic functionalities that the apps remedied. Ditto for Android, where the handset is really more what you make of it through the use of apps than it is out of the box. Blackberries have always been more of an out of the box, ready to go experience,
    However....once the iPhone and Android exploded, end users began being used to having apps. that once filled a gap, become an enhanced experience on a device. It is true that I can access a website through better browsers, but apps offer streamlined functionalities. In another thread I mentioned the convenience of simply ordering a pizza on a phone. That doesn't all relevance to my existence but it makes it so simple to just punch up what a want and have it delivered in 30 minutes. That is where apps come in, they add convenience, streamline interactions with the phone, or provide information in an enhanced manner. When I am waiting for the Circulator to arrive at my stop in DC, it's simply an enhanced experience.
    Let's talk what happened last night. RIM posted that it lost 1 million subscribers. It is gaining subscribers in developing markets, yes. So if it lost 1 million subscribers I would guess that it lost those subscribers in markets where customers are expecting the enhanced experience that apps provide. There exists no reason why one would argue against something that customers are deciding they want. RIM need to regain its space and compete. It won't compete by maintaining the status quo.
    This argument arises when one group who feels that apps are unimportant expresses that opinion and those who feel that apps indeed matter counter that opinion. Then comes the name calling, the tools not toys, the iSheep, etc. Well, bottom line is choice. Let the app selection be there. If customers want it let it be one less reason to choose something other than a BB.
    I started out hating the iPhone. Raged against it. Then I hated Androids. RAGED against it. SCREAMED to the high Heavens how apps are unnecessary. Fought people here when they said RIM was in trouble. Then out of intellectual curiosity and a great deal of geekiness, I decided to try those devices I had raged against and insulted people over. And guess what.....I enjoyed them. Then I began to see that there were apps that I could use on them that were not available on my BB. And I understood why a consumer would in fact choose a device that affords them the ability to use those apps. It is not for me to tell someone that the manner in which he wants to use his phone is ridiculous, infantile, conformist. I didn't spend the money on his device. Why should I have an opinion on it? But I do care that there were 1 million subscribers this last quarter who went elsewhere. Because I do want my BB to be in my purse alongside my iPhone and my Android.
    It's not about Instagram only. It's not about any one app. It's that in the aggregate, other phones provide enhanced experiences through those apps that are causing people to choose them over BB. And those were the 1 million subscribers that BB just lost. Those who looked a 9900, looked at an SGIII, and saw no contest. I have both devices, and I can say that the experience on my SGIII is light years over that on my 9900. Aside from the out of control ridiculously wonderful 9900 keyboard, I feel that my SGIII eats my 9900's lunch. And apps are a huge part of that. When I can't call up a car insurance card on a device using a substandard app on a 9900 and I can call it up on my Skyrocket and send it to the lady at the DMV window, that is, in my opinion, an instance where a useful app on my Android killed a supposedly comparable app on my 9900.
    I am not a RIM hater. Far from it. I have paid cash for so many devices that people on this very site have told me I have "single child syndrome" and a "first world problem" because of it. I have bought BB after BB after BB, cash. I've sponsored a PB pilot at work that failed miserably and caused me to be ridiculed within my branch for my proposal's failure. I have stopped my agency's intent to submit a request for information to migrate to other devices until BB10 launches. But I am not blind to RIM's problems.
    Apps are a RIM deficiency. 1 million subscribers were lost this quarter. I would hazard a guess that apps were part of the reason they were lost.

BlackBerry Q10 By Choice
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,936 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    Yeah - kind of reminds me when ANGRY BIRDS wasn't available. People swore up and down that it's a stupid, pointless, needless game. Then it came to PlayBook and became the top selling app on any BlackBerry, even though the PlayBook userbase was much smaller.
    Top seller doesn't exactly say how many they sold. If it had 1000 sales and no other apps had better sales. It'd be a "top seller" even though there may be 1,000,000 PBs out there.

I personally never liked angry birds. It's all the crazy but it's an uninteresting game to me.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    Sorry, I can't condone this behavior. lol. They REALLY need to be pushing to have Native apps in there. Their ecosystem of apps is still a huge player here, just like the when the PlayBook launched. Let me put it this way.. the apps are the only thing remaining that I'm truly worried about with BlackBerry 10. I can see the reviews already, no matter how good the hardware and OS is...

"Sure, it's got Instagram but it's just a port and not running natively... what? RIM couldn't get anyone to build proper apps? Just buy an iPhone or Android device, at least then you'll be getting the real goods and a better app experience"

Mark my words. It hurts to say that, because I know as a whole the products will be great but you know as well as I do, people want RIM to fail and will focus on any negative point they can and highlight it to the max. Apps is almost certainly going to be one of those points unless RIM has been doing some heavy behind the scenes work.
    Exactly. I prefer seeing the apps with native support vs. a simple Android port. Apps with really low level hw utilization can't come through an Android port either. So the more powerful apps will have to be native.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I don't know if this is confirmation but Alex Kinsella just posted a picture on twitter via instagram.

https://twitter.com/alexkinsella/sta...85853186940928
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Thanks for your response. You speak of UX being streamlined and more efficient with the inclusion of apps and this is what RIM is trying to accomplish w/o the in/out paradigm. Invocation and other things which I am unfamiliar with will help us to get that experience and when there isn't an app present then we have a best in class browser.

We all want those apps to be there including RIM, the question is will they?
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    20,195 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Default Re: Instagram for BB10

Quote Originally Posted by lboogie_1971_ View Post
    Thanks for your response. You speak of UX being streamlined and more efficient with the inclusion of apps and this is what RIM is trying to accomplish w/o the in/out paradigm. Invocation and other things which I am unfamiliar with will help us to get that experience and when there isn't an app present then we have a best in class browser.

We all want those apps to be there including RIM, the question is will they?
    This is what I mean by streamlined:

In three screens I know when my bus is coming.

I can't even do that on a browser on my BB.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-23-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FBF354

Quote Originally Posted by Joy1980 View Post
    I don't know if this is confirmation but Alex Kinsella just posted a picture on twitter via instagram.

https://twitter.com/alexkinsella/sta...85853186940928
    Doubt it. He's been using Instagram for a long time.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,953 Global Posts

Default Instagram for BB10

My bet is on an Android port too. An Android port that works is better than nothing.

Though it would serve fine as a quick fix, I would really love a native app instead.

Perhaps its meant as a quick fix only. If there is a wide even adoption rate for BB10, eventually a native will come. Or at least I hope so.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post

But it's a chicken or egg problem isn't it? There is nothing that will stop early reviewers from bashing the selection of apps even if there was native versions of the top 1000 apps from Android and iOS there reviewers will still tear it apart because there is only 100 000 apps in the store. The only way to change that is for the phones to sell. RIM better hope those 70% of BlackBerry users looking to upgrade to BB 10 do it within the first year because only 10's of millions of users will get the app developers on board to close the gap. Native or Android, as long as something is there on day one it's good for the users because reviewers on major tech sites will rip it apart regardless.

Apps is really the only thing you're worried about? You don't think reviewers will tear into RIM if the hardware is a little lacking or the X10 looks an awful lot like "every other BlackBerry ever made"? You're right that they'll focus on ANY negative no matter if it's big or small.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

This is what I mean by streamlined:
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/24/una7uma4.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/24/beqa8yry.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/24/eqy4u7uv.jpg
    In three screens I know when my bus is coming.

I can't even do that on a browser on my BB.

Unless I'm reading that wrong, a bus is coming every 10 minutes or less, why do you need an app for that?
    Thanked by:
    neteng1000 (12-24-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,670 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4life View Post
    Top seller doesn't exactly say how many they sold. If it had 1000 sales and no other apps had better sales. It'd be a "top seller" even though there may be 1,000,000 PBs out there.
    When Angry Birds came out on the PlayBook, I looked at the Web App world that listed all BlackBerry apps across all devices. In the top paid apps, Angry Birds topped everything else - PlayBook or Phone ... even though the PlayBook base was much, much smaller. And it stayed that way for a while.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    Unless I'm reading that wrong, a bus is coming every 10 minutes or less, why do you need an app for that?
    If they are near and the app says "coming in 3 minutes", they can rush instead of waiting 10 minutes. Or if it says "9 minutes", can leisurely walk looking around
    Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted
    qbnkelt likes this.

Global Posts
    20,195 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeberry View Post
    If they are near and the app says "coming in 3 minutes", they can rush instead of waiting 10 minutes. Or if it says "9 minutes", can leisurely walk looking around
    Or I prefer not to stand in a corner in 34 degrees with a wind coming off the Potomac for ten minutes when I can walk to the stop in three from my office, or whichever satellite office I might be visiting, which are on different lines and have different run times. And in DC, particularly during the afternoon, the run times vary wildly from five minutes to fifteen, depending on traffic. So to make the commuter train or the Metro, I need to plan accordingly. Commuter trains have few runs.
    Regardless, the point is that the option is not even available on the BB. Been looking for the DC Circulator real time app on the BB for eons.
    Some things are really not that difficult to comprehend....
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-24-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,499 Global Posts
    PIN
    33257ED2

Default Re: Instagram for BB10

THAT is GREAT news for BB10.

It will be interesting to see how BB10 users receive it, after all the debate as to how useless it is.

I will get it.

Everyone always says it useless when they can't have it. It will be downloaded millions of times once released. There will be instagram bbm groups and everything

Sent from the smartphone of my choice using Tapatalk 2
    Words of Reason sent from my Nexus

PIN
    27F48177

Except those are predictions not accurate times, you have to allow for margins of error.

Sounds very trivial if you ask me, when busses are that often.
    CrackBerry Addict

Except those are predictions not accurate times, you have to allow for margins of error.

Sounds very trivial if you ask me, when busses are that often.
    Actually, it will be quite useless in my country where everything is at least 20-25 minutes late.
    Only Qbnkelt can answer how accurate those predictions are.

PIN
    27F48177

So App VS Web

App- 4 screeens to get the info you need

Web- a tap on a bookmark or icon on screen:

NextBus | DC Circulator
    CrackBerry Addict

So App VS Web

App- 4 screeens to get the info you need

Web- a tap on a bookmark or icon on screen:

NextBus | DC Circulator
    but the browser most often is a hassle. User experience is just not the same. If you want to check the train, you go to another website? The app makes it so much easier
    Thanked by:
    qbnkelt (12-24-2012) 
    qbnkelt likes this.

PIN
    27F48177

"I can't even do that on a browser on my BB.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2"

You haven't looke very hard have you? A quick search and I found it for you.

NextBus | DC Circulator

PIN
    27F48177

but the browser most often is a hassle. User experience is just not the same. If you want to check the train, you go to another website? The app makes it so much easier
    How is it a hassle? You put the bookmark directly on your home screen if it's that important and you go straight to the information you need. Easy.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,166 Global Posts

So App VS Web
    Speaking of streamlined. Please do an app vs web comparison for the following.

Global Posts
    20,195 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Not only that, the browser on the 9900 cannot compare in user experience to the app. The browser simply cannot even begin to do what the app does. It was one of the reasons I opted for carrying an iPhone or Android. From the Circulator I can tap on the train and know whether I can wait for the Circulator or spend cash on a taxi. It's a *hub* of information for all different transportation methods within DC.
    iMore Ambassador
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast