• 1 Post By lnichols

Global Posts
    9,326 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default If MS Office goes Android ...

[android/BB10 dev question]
    ... Is there anything - besides legit protection - that would forbids it to be ported for BB10 ?
    I believe MS won't be using google's API and I don't see the need of very specific ones ...
    Your thoughts ?
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,739 Global Posts

Is there any information about MsOffice going Android? From recent trends it seems all the major players are keeping their goodies for themselves. Why would MS want to enable Google's products?
    Through the Years :2001 Ericsson T29s> Sony Z5> Sony Z7> SE Z600>Moto A760> RAZR V3>Razr V3i>BB 8800>BB 9500 >BB 9800>Bold 9900..RIM Returns with a bang

Life was much simpler when Apple and Blackberry were just fruits

Global Posts
    9,326 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by sam_b77 View Post
    Is there any information about MsOffice going Android? From recent trends it seems all the major players are keeping their goodies for themselves. Why would MS want to enable Google's products?
    Rumored, thus the "IF". Microsoft Office coming to Android and Apple devices in early 2013 | ZDNet
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,739 Global Posts

Wow that's a risky strategy. You think they will charge for it? They might end up hurting their PC suite. MsOffice on an Android tablet may work for a lot of people.
    Through the Years :2001 Ericsson T29s> Sony Z5> Sony Z7> SE Z600>Moto A760> RAZR V3>Razr V3i>BB 8800>BB 9500 >BB 9800>Bold 9900..RIM Returns with a bang

CrackBerry Abuser

The version of MS Office that they are looking at using is the cloud based one, which requires a monthly subscription fee. so you can see why they would want to port to iOS and Android, because every month you would be paying MS for the privilege of using it
    Thanked by 3:
    kbz1960 (11-25-2012),  Superfly_FR (11-17-2012) 

Global Posts
    9,326 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by montyl View Post
    The version of MS Office that they are looking at using is the cloud based one, which requires a monthly subscription fee. so you can see why they would want to port to iOS and Android, because every month you would be paying MS for the privilege of using it
    Oh, ok. I missed it. Sorry then, this post is a #fail. bang.
    Was about to edit my post (as a fail), but in fact it doesn't change much ... There will be a client (app) on Android ...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-17-2012 at 03:53 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,739 Global Posts

Read again. They are offering both, Office 360 (cloud)and MsOffice device versions. Even the article author is surprised with the risky strategy.

CrackBerry Abuser

They also released Microsoft Office for Symbian (which was the most widely used smartphone OS back when they announced that they started working to bring Office to Symbian), so it only makes sense that they are now bringing it to Android.
    I guess it won't work in the BB Android Runtime though, as some parts of it will most probably be native code.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Please feel free to ask :)

There were rumors of Office coming to the PlayBook back when it first came out. RIM had a survey about how they should make it available on the platform.
    QNX and LTE, hand me a pen and let's do this.
    **Taken from The Engine**

Yes I am black...and yes I LOVE grape Kool Aid. I can't blame u for judging me

- Durrell
    Thanked by:
    Superfly_FR (11-19-2012) 

Global Posts
    9,326 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Gerii View Post
    I guess it won't work in the BB Android Runtime though, as some parts of it will most probably be native code.
    I'm not sure I get what you mean by "native code" : Google Android API ?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Microsoft Office is a cash cow for Microsoft. Supporting multiple platforms is not a risky business strategy; it would solidify Microsoft Office as the de facto office suite in an increasingly mobile world. Now I am not saying that I like Microsoft Office - quite the opposite - but to offer it on multiple platforms would be brilliant. I would prefer an office suite which adheres to open standards allowing users to get at their data via any number of means. And no I do not want a ported Google Android version of Microsoft Office; make it native.
    Thanked by:
    kbz1960 (11-25-2012) 
    Rello and Superfly_FR like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    Microsoft Office is a cash cow for Microsoft. Supporting multiple platforms is not a risky business strategy; it would solidify Microsoft Office as the de facto office suite in an increasingly mobile world. Now I am not saying that I like Microsoft Office - quite the opposite - but to offer it on multiple platforms would be brilliant. I would prefer an office suite which adheres to open standards allowing users to get at their data via any number of means. And no I do not want a ported Google Android version of Microsoft Office; make it native.
    I agree. I would be a brilliant move. If it gets released, its going to be a paid service on all platforms and im pretty sure there are tons of people that would pay for it. I'm one of them lol. I wish it would have came out for the playbook. RIM was seriously thinking about having it on their platform at one point in time...what their plans are now about it are unknown.

- Durrell
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,060 Global Posts

It won't be the Office you use on a desktop or even up to par with the one that will be on the Surface RT. It would still be nice to have some of the features on BB10.
    BB10 Powered by QNX RTOS.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Hopefully RIM will really improve docs 2 go on BB10

- Durrell
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rello View Post
    Pigs will fly beforehand. Research In Motion has put zero effort into the BlackBerry version of Docs-to-Go despite licensing development rights from DataViz over 2 years ago. The "faint hope clause" in parole hearings for dangerous offenders is a safer bet for inmates than an improved Doc-to-Go is for BlackBerry users.
    Rello likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Pigs will fly beforehand. Research In Motion has put zero effort into the BlackBerry version of Docs-to-Go despite licensing development rights from DataViz over 2 years ago. The "faint hope clause" in parole hearings for dangerous offenders is a safer bet for inmates than an improved Doc-to-Go is for BlackBerry users.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    I'm not sure I get what you mean by "native code" : Google Android API ?
    No, native C/C++ code that is based on the Android NDK which doesn't work in the BlackBerry Android Runtime.
    They will probably use it for time consuming operations (e.g. for a search algorithm) as native code is normally faster.
    And as C/C++ is supported on most mobile OSs, they can leverage a lot of their existing code with little modification.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,965 Global Posts

My guess is since Thor is out there saying this week that Blackberry 10 phones will replace laptops and desktops in 3 to 5 years, and since MS Office has unfortunately become the defacto standard for business office suite, that he knows that MS Office is coming to the platform. If you give majority of government and business workers MS Office with MS Project in a device that docks into a monitor/keyboard/mouse setup, then those people would be able to fully do their jobs. Their would be some special cases and outliers of purpose built apps, but with eGov initiatives to get as much ported to web forms over apps, I could definitely see this happen.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,739 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    I'm not advocating risk in the form of having Office on multiple platforms. MS is basically a software company and their model is more platform independent than others. The risk factor, in my view, would be shooting the desktop version in the foot. The desktop version costs $300. How much do you think they can charge for an Android or iOS version? $10 maybe. Now that allows most people with an Android tablet and a keyboard access to MsOffice at hardly any cost. No need for Windows PC. Sure they would not pack in thebfull features on mobile devices initially, but this is not 1999. Other companies like Smartoffice etc would continue to upgrade and add functionality. MS can blow them away if they brought 90%of desktop functionality to the Android or iOS versions. But they would run the risk of harming their own core business. But I guess they don't have a choice. Computing is going mobile, and for MS its either go mobile the whole way or fall by the wayside. Interesting couple of years ahead for tech aficionados.

CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    My guess is since Thor is out there saying this week that Blackberry 10 phones will replace laptops and desktops in 3 to 5 years, and since MS Office has unfortunately become the defacto standard for business office suite, that he knows that MS Office is coming to the platform. If you give majority of government and business workers MS Office with MS Project in a device that docks into a monitor/keyboard/mouse setup, then those people would be able to fully do their jobs. Their would be some special cases and outliers of purpose built apps, but with eGov initiatives to get as much ported to web forms over apps, I could definitely see this happen.
    I agree. If RIM thinks they may be able to replace laptops, they are gonna have to have them desktop quality apps people are looking for and Microsoft Office would go HUGE distances in making that happen. I truly wanna believe that it is coming. I know surveys asking about how it should be made available on the OS really don't mean anything, but why even get people's hopes up by asking if they never meant to bring it to the platform???

- Durrell
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sam_b77 View Post
    I'm not advocating risk in the form of having Office on multiple platforms. MS is basically a software company and their model is more platform independent than others. The risk factor, in my view, would be shooting the desktop version in the foot. The desktop version costs $300. How much do you think they can charge for an Android or iOS version? $10 maybe.
    Well I foresee Microsoft offering their office suite as a mobile platform client with the real power feature set available via the mobile client through a monthly subscription fee. Organizations needing documents stored on their own servers would be offered a Microsoft Office Cloud Server package to be hosted internally or on a designated third-party server. For the consumer market and small businesses a feature complete Microsoft Office 365 service available via a mobile client with an off-line mode of operation. The revenue stream would guarantee Microsoft a continuous income. However, Microsoft must adopt a truly standardized file format for each of the document types.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

I agree. If RIM thinks they may be able to replace laptops, they are gonna have to have them desktop quality apps people are looking for and Microsoft Office would go HUGE distances in making that happen. I truly wanna believe that it is coming. I know surveys asking about how it should be made available on the OS really don't mean anything, but why even get people's hopes up by asking if they never meant to bring it to the platform???
    Given how easily RIM's lawyers capitulated when BASIS claimed BBX was an exclusive tradename of their database product and it would confuse consumers if BlackBerry named their next generation mobile platform BBX, it would not surprise me to learn RIM is terrible at negotiating and the corporate lawyers are nothing more than back-slapped good-old boys from the country club.

Global Posts
    9,326 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Quote Originally Posted by Gerii View Post
    No, native C/C++ code that is based on the Android NDK which doesn't work in the BlackBerry Android Runtime.
    They will probably use it for time consuming operations (e.g. for a search algorithm) as native code is normally faster.
    And as C/C++ is supported on most mobile OSs, they can leverage a lot of their existing code with little modification.
    And C/C++ is native in BB10 SDK too ...
    CrackBerry Master

They should release it for all platforms so the best way to do that is via the web. Unlike BBM where that isn't a standard, Office is and allowing more people to use it would just give them more money. IMO its only ballsy because the level of commitment is lacking. They released Office on Mac and it hasn't really done anything to damage Windows sales as proof. Plus there is no other Office solution for companies to embrace meaning we are all stuck with MS Office forever probably. Mobile is different, its more like cars (personal preference and choice) except with software you can sell your services to everyone potentially.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    And C/C++ is native in BB10 SDK too ...
    But it doesn't work if it's part of an Android application.
    http://developer.blackberry.com/andr..._features.html