Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default ICE drops BlackBerry in favor of iPhone

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency plans to end its eight-year relationship with the BlackBerry in favor of iPhones, according to solicitation documents posted Friday. The move could prove a major blow to ailing BlackBerry maker Research In Motion.

ICE plans to purchase iPhones for more than 17,000 employees, according to the notice, which states that RIM’s technology “can no longer meet the mobile technology needs of the agency.”

The defection by a law enforcement agency is a particularly harsh blow for RIM, which has led the mobile market in security even as it has trailed Apple’s iPhone and Google’s Android operating system in functionality.

Apple ultimately bested RIM based on market viability, according to a limited source justification, which describes RIM as “a distant fourth” in the mobile devices market and says “firms with poor performing products or unsustainable business models will be removed from the marketplace.”

On a score sheet, the agency gave RIM two out of five points for commercial viability compared with five out of five for Apple and Google’s Android.

The agency gave both Apple and RIM top security scores in the justification. ICE praised the companies for controlling both the hardware and operating systems in their products. Google’s Android, which received a low security score, provides only the operating system and allows other companies to run it on their mobile devices.

“What is a strength for Google is a risk for ICE,” the justification states.

“Analysis conducted by ICE has concluded that for the near term, Apple iPhone services offer the agency the best solution for its mobile technology,” the justification says. “Apple’s strict control of the hardware platform and operating system, independent of telecommunication vendor, provides ICE with the greatest degree of control and management to ensure the most reliable delivery of services to ICE’s mission users.”

RIM had not responded to a request for comment on the ICE purchase by 5 p.m. Friday.

ICE drops BlackBerry in favor of iPhone - Nextgov.com
    Thanked by:
    Revampd (10-20-2012) 
    Banned

Default Re: ICE drops BlackBerry in favor of iPhone

What government agency said they were going to switch to iphone but later said NO they were not going to switch? Right now the the article is CLAIMING that ICE says they are making PLANS but nothing offical has been made. Another article ment to bash RIM wihtout any real offical facts. Next
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts

Doesn't sound like many companies are waiting for BB10.
    They know that they wouldn't just be waiting on the devices, they'd be waiting even longer for some decent type of ecosystem to emerge.

The bright side is the first 3-6 months of BB10's release will determine if RIM will stay alive or die. We'll have our answer and can move on.
    If BB10 doesn't make a big splash in sales in that timeframe - they won't have the luxury of deep pockets to keep the ship afloat while trying to grow BB10s adoption.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,247 Global Posts

I found two things interesting about the above.

First was that RIM basically lost out here because of the "commercial viability" score they received according to the "justification".

Second that ICE gave Apple and RIM the same score on security and that in the end RIM can no longer meet their mobile technology needs.

This seems very contrasting to the usual discussion here, especially from the folks who speak with knowledge of where the US Government is when thinking about security. I am anxious to hear how this all squares with the final decision of ICE, who is certainly an agency you would think is concerned about the security of their devices. I do not pretend to understand any of this and am asking questions here not making any statements other than there seems to be a contrast here and I am curious as to why.
    CrackBerry Abuser

It's going to be interesting to see where this ends up. Right now the core government mobility requirement (FIPS 140-2) is not met by Apple, but Agencies have been getting around it by using security applications to encrypt iPhone data in their test runs. Wonder if this will hold out in the long term. As an FYI only Blackberry OS, Windows 7 tablets, and some Android kernels meet the FIPS requirements so far. It's a constant push pull between the user base and the security guys.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,247 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrfreetruth View Post
    What government agency said they were going to switch to iphone but later said NO they were not going to switch? Right now the the article is CLAIMING that ICE says they are making PLANS but nothing offical has been made. Another article ment to bash RIM wihtout any real offical facts. Next
    Above says it's in a "solicitation notice" - isn't that the intent to buy the phones?
  7. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,709 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by randall2580 View Post
    Above says it's in a "solicitation notice" - isn't that the intent to buy the phones?
    You can download the solicitation notice - the crux of the issue is that (from their perspective so don't shoot the messenger) is that RIM has been so far so left behind they cannot meet the essential criteria for selection - Windows Phone was rejected because they consider that it has been rejected by consumers, it goes on to describe both RIM current OS and Symbian as 'laggards', and too risky going forward for enterprise adoption.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    817 Global Posts

If you do the math from the documents the award is $2.1 million for 17676 iOS devices; so less than $120 per iPhone. I feel safer know the USGov is using the "best in class" consumer device to keep out the undesirables.
    / device agnosticism or bust!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glamrlama View Post
    If you do the math from the documents the award is $2.1 million for 17676 iOS devices; so less than $120 per iPhone. I feel safer know the USGov is using the "best in class" consumer device to keep out the undesirables.
    "ICE is procuring iOS services from various cellular carriers via Apple iPhone devices bundled into monthly plans for cellular phone services, Internet access for domestic and international coverage, and text messaging capabilities."

So they're paying $120 per iPhone, I guess they're getting a bulk discount from the carriers, which is to be expected. I bet they're getting a discount on the services too. Heck, even my friend gets a 25% discount from ATT and he works at a hospital.
    CrackBerry Master

The key phrase in the article that I've been beating over and over here in the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by the actual reason RIM keeps loosing customers
    The defection by a law enforcement agency is a particularly harsh blow for RIM, which has led the mobile market in security even as it has trailed Apple’s iPhone and Google’s Android operating system in functionality
    Functionality isn't a dirty four letter word - it's the bread and butter of smart phone mfg's!
    ...RIM's whole problem since it started to loose big chunks of it's market share is that it could compete in functionality.
    A reluctant iPhone 4s user who would STILL be a Blackberry user had RIM not messed it's own bed by putting a "Fisher Price Camera" in it's "flagship" Blackberry Bold 9930.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek (10-20-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pythons View Post
    The key phrase in the article that I've been beating over and over here in the forums.

Functionality isn't a dirty four letter word - it's the bread and butter of smart phone mfg's!
    ...RIM's whole problem since it started to loose big chunks of it's market share is that it could compete in functionality.
    RIM bet the farm on 4 things:

1. Security
    2. Battery life
    3. Keyboard
    4. Fast email

Turns out people rather have:

1. Big screen
    2. Apps
    3. Stability
    4. Nice camera

So what is RIM doing about it? With BB10, they're adding....

1. Big screen
    2. Apps
    3. Stability
    4. Better camera
    Thanked by 3:
    barragan (10-24-2012),  BlackStormRising (10-24-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

Dell also dropped BlackBerry except a year later they still had half of the BlackBerrys and their own phone that they switched too was discontinued and never released a follow up to it.

I'll believe it when I see it.
    BBPandy likes this.
  13. aha
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post

1. Security
    2. Battery life
    3. Keyboard
    4. Fast email

1. Big screen
    2. Apps
    3. Stability
    4. Nice camera

1. Big screen
    2. Apps
    3. Stability
    4. Better camera
    a little too late? lol, man you can't win this... just enjoy your phone
    morganplus8 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post

1. Security
    2. Battery life
    3. Keyboard
    4. Fast email

1. Big screen
    2. Apps
    3. Stability
    4. Nice camera

1. Big screen
    2. Apps
    3. Stability
    4. Better camera
    Right except the fast email part. When fast, push email hit the other decides it hurt them bad.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VZW iPhone 5 32GB / Blk

(HTC 8x WP8, BB Z10, iPhone 4S, Droid Incredible 2, BB Storm2, BB 9650 prior.)
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,615 Global Posts

Default RE: ICE drops BlackBerry in favor of iPhone

Why should it even matter to folks who are not ICE employees?
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    CrackBerry Addict

The iPhone has failed to gain certification to be used in secure US government agencies twice now, I honestly can't see this going through.
    morganplus8 likes this.

Global Posts
    30,810 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

I'll keep it simple. If we can discuss this without the snarky comments I will leave the thread open if NOT then I will close it!

Got the message?
    Thanked by 3:
    bigbmc26 (10-21-2012),  gjohnsto (10-20-2012),  sleepngbear (10-21-2012) 
    Umedon and bungaboy like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

If you read the justification, RIM was dinged 3 points for viability. Apple got perfect scores in all categories. Essentially the fix is in. ;-) The only other category where RIM got dinged was product uniformity. What we have here is simply a document slanted so that Apple will win.

Iphones are notoriously poor performers in high temperatures, which could be a problem, but ICE field employees tend to sit around in SUVs all day, so they have A/C and power.

Homeland Security is truly a poorly run organization. This decision doesn't surprise me. Read the document completely and you will see even more nonsense. For instance, the document says that open source software is not secure. This is nonsense.
    I'm curious how the iphone ranks so well in remote management? Can the iphone be locked so that no unauthorized apps are installed? Can the iphone apps be distributed remotely, or is itunes required? The reason I mention itunes is the FBI put a request to get itunes accounts for its agents so they can download apps. What truly sucked here is the US government could not get a discount on the apps due to the license agreement the app developers have with Apple.

If you are not familiar with government solicitations, they are on www.fbo.gov.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by gariac View Post
    If you read the justification, RIM was dinged 3 points for viability. Apple got perfect scores in all categories. Essentially the fix is in. ;-) The only other category where RIM got dinged was product uniformity. What we have here is simply a document slanted so that Apple will win.
    Why are you citing that as evidence of a "fix". I think it's fairly evident that RIM would score lower than Apple in both of those categories.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

I wonder how many of these types of things go unreported. You can't honestly believe every big transaction or change is in the news. Well, I'm sure some people do. People can and do believe whatever makes the happy/supports what they already believe.

I'd be pissed if I was an employee and had to get the old iphone when the new BBs are coming out.
    bigbmc26 and bungaboy like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

I say it is a "fix" because ICE is acting like RIM will go under, but no other part of the US government has this criteria. Geez, you cant even bring a phone with a camera to most facilities, which is why RIM makes camera-less phones for secure facilities. So the iphone will never satisfy all fed tasks.

Go on fbo.gov and search for Blackberry. The US is still buying them, so it is clear that major portions of the US government doesn't believe RIM is about to go under.

Further, the DoD loves Android. So why does ICE find Android's open source to be a security issue, especially after proven security issues with imessage. Apple, without argument, is a poor platform should you need security. Android, like RIM, has FIPS 140-2 certification. So ICE had to find a way to make Google fail.

Organizations in the US government are famous for such sweetheart deals. The best known examples are Bechtel and Halliburton when the GOP had the White House. For those companies, contracts were written in a manner where the task was SO big than no small company was a fit. For example, a contract would require guards, environmental control, and running a research lab. So a company that just provided guards couldn't bid. That is how Betchel got to run the DOE NTS. During the Iraq war, the contract would require private security, kitchen patrol, and construction. Again, hard for anyone but Halliburton to get the contract.

Trust me, this contract reeks. Worse of all will be the no bid software purchases, feeding a third to Apple.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

I'm curious how the iphone ranks so well in remote management? Can the iphone be locked so that no unauthorized apps are installed? Can the iphone apps be distributed remotely, or is itunes required?
    Yes to all. And iTunes has never been required to install apps.
    CrackBerry Genius

i get this feeling that its still media influenced, maybe not a direct infulence but the media influencing employees and employees pushing the IT deparment to change, then with all these articles coming out claiming massive companies are switching, its another excuse for the IT departments to drop RIM and go for iPhones.

i get this feelign that this will back fire and companies may end up regretting the choice to switch,i don't see productivity being as good, i don't seecosts dropping, i actualyl see an increase in opperating costs. i see more and more malware coming out for iOS once more and more companies switch, as well as IT departments control of employees devices beign even close to what RIM has. i just can see how a business would thing that apps and and the so called increased stability of an iPhone over a BlackBerry can justify the switch (that beign said my BB is pretty stable and i hardly ever have to reboot it, its actually been a about a month or more since i have had to)
    bungaboy likes this.
  24. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,709 Global Posts

So basically the level of hubris here is still so high that if must either be a) a fix or b) a media conspiracy.
    Thanked by 2:
    abwan11 (10-22-2012),  Bigruss8 (10-21-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

Iphones are notoriously poor performers in high temperatures, which could be a problem, but ICE field employees tend to sit around in SUVs all day, so they have A/C and power.

Homeland Security is truly a poorly run organization. This decision doesn't surprise me. Read the document completely and you will see even more nonsense. For instance, the document says that open source software is not secure. This is nonsense.
    I'm curious how the iphone ranks so well in remote management? Can the iphone be locked so that no unauthorized apps are installed? Can the iphone apps be distributed remotely, or is itunes required? The reason I mention itunes is the FBI put a request to get itunes accounts for its agents so they can download apps. What truly sucked here is the US government could not get a discount on the apps due to the license agreement the app developers have with Apple.

If you are not familiar with government solicitations, they are on www.fbo.gov.

My guess is they don't trust their own people so they have to issue them with "government tracking devices" lol

Plus they don't want their cameras to work when something dodgy goes down, using Apple's latest patent eliminating leaks.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast