• 2 Post By amazinglygraceless
  • 1 Post By playbookster
  • 1 Post By Masahiro
  • 1 Post By crackcookie
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default I advertise my business but is RIMM seriously not going to run commercials until Jan 30th ??!?!!

Will there be no movie theater commercials or tv commercials before jan 30th ? Im talking to friends about it and they dont know anything about BB10. Nothing at Carriers either.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Think about it...why would you run commercials showing of Dev devices? Sounds a bit pathetic don't you think?

They're launching their new lineup on January 30th, that's when the product is revealed to the world, and I'd imagine they have advertisement campaigns lined up for launch already.

Although I do agree that it would be cool to have some teaser ads right now with the "it's coming..." vibe to retain some users over the holidays.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    950 Global Posts

Can't advertise something that's not for sale. It would be a waste of money. They will hopefully "fire everything!" After they finish showing everyone what it is they can buy.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2ACB19A0

there is already a thread about this topic, perhaps you should read through that one
    presently rocking a trio of Zeddy,Q10,PB.
    BlackBerry by Choice
    Retired Mod

PIN
    PIN:ky Tuscadero

I'm thinking RIM saw the disaster that the "Smartphone Beta Test" for the Nokia Lumia 900 was and is no mood to repeat that. Advertising for a product that isn't available for purchase is always a dicey proposition and I can understand if RIM chooses not to go in that direction.
    JGuez and Drew808 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Default I advertise my business but is RIMM seriously not going to run commercials until Jan 30th ??!?!!

Did apple advertise the iphone5 before their iphone5 event? No. The commercials came after
    Thanked by:
    Knightcrawler (11-22-2012) 
    Masahiro likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

That's another area where apple are leading.

They can use their ip5 to advertise the ip6 already
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,603 Global Posts

Just tell your friends to check out some YouTube videos of demos being shown and they can see some of the features. Give them links to some of the interviews that Thor has been on.
    You can help by mdoing your own marketing campaign for the Upcoming devices just by Leading people to the Links.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    K Ink Wink

I would think RIM will start their marketing a couple of weeks before the launch event with teasers, just as folks have started getting teaser emails from RIM. If I remember correctly, RIM/Thor have openly stated they will start marketing full blast after the launch.
    Children of tomorrow live in the tears that fall today
    Will the sunrise of tomorrow bring in peace in any way?
    Must the world live in the shadow of atomic fear?
    Can they win the fight for peace or will they disappear?

-- Black Sabbath: Children of the Grave
    CrackBerry Master

they obviously already started promoting BB10, the actual ads are part of the whole marketing effort...they already talked to carriers who promised to put their weight behind BB10, so lets wait and see what RIM comes up with
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,042 Global Posts

There's a couple of things:

1. First, promotion can take many forms ... advertising is just one. Media relations is another. Right now, they're out doing a huge media blitz ... Thorsten is talking to every major pub, marketing managers are out doing demos. They've also got a big blitz on apps with the various jam events.

2. Second, some companies do heavy advance advertising, but what does it give them. The reality is simple: The BB10 devices are going to be shown at the end of January officially for the first time. They likely aren't going to be available on that day, but in the coming weeks (and months, depending on market, carrier etc). The 'pre-order stuff' will be for them.

3. They have to sell BB7 devices now to pay the bills, through Christmas. Advertising the out of BB10 now before Christmas would just cause confusion when people show up at stores to by them.

4. The carriers do a lot of marketing and there's no way they'll advertise before they have product.

5. Your friends need to read the newspapers and blogs. I see BB10 mentioned all the time.

6. If you don't agree with the marketing strategy, you could always write Thorsten and tell him you're the man for the job, not Frank Boulben.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1232 View Post
    That's another area where apple are leading.

They can use their ip5 to advertise the ip6 already
    LOL! + 10 char
    Last edited by Bobcat665; 11-22-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same!
    Storm 9530 -> Pearl 9100 -> Torch 9860
  13. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,720 Global Posts

RIM has a very small budget (relative to the market leaders), it makes no sense to be splashing the cash at this stage.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,865 Global Posts

dude, they don't even need to do anything... do you realize how much FREE publicity they are receiving already???

the buzz is going to get more intense the closer we get to Jan 30.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by amazinglygraceless View Post
    I'm thinking RIM saw the disaster that the "Smartphone Beta Test" for the Nokia Lumia 900 was and is no mood to repeat that. Advertising for a product that isn't available for purchase is always a dicey proposition and I can understand if RIM chooses not to go in that direction.
    Where have you been? :P

I agree with playbookster. Apple doesn't mention anything about any upcoming models, never mind commercials. It's all in the big keynote event, which is what RIM is probably trying to emulate here because it has been working so well for Apple (not so much the last couple ones...).

It's not like there's no buzz about BlackBerry 10. Just check out Twitter under #bb10believe or #blackberry10.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    bluetroll likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,865 Global Posts

free positive publicity is the best publicity... because it comes from sources that you trust.
    CrackBerry Abuser

My friends have slowly started asking me about BB10. i keep sending them YT clips and all seem impressed.

Except my wife, she keeps saying that RIM has said all this before. She'll see!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I type like what I am saying is fact. It's probably not.
    CrackBerry Master

Not major, expensive TV advertizing until then. Before that, they will use social media, I think they said. And make the rounds of TV news shows Free advertizing.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C

I'd rather they don't waste money.

Why would they advertise before the unveiling anyway?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

I think when the droid hit the world they were not showing the phone . Just a red dot. and a DROIDDDDDDDDDDDD. I think it was advertised for months before they were actually available. I might be wrong. That was the same time the BB 9700 hit the market. Was a Nov - Jan time frame.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,981 Global Posts

Still 2 months away from official announcement and we have the holidays taking up people's thoughts for the first half of that time. RIM should just put on the blitz right after the launch event when the commercials can show every feature.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

I agree, the best advertising is positive free advertising.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,002 Global Posts

Did you forget BB10 is a year late? And that the Playbook was halfbaked for like 8 months? You should be happy that RIM got it right. Forget marketing things on time, deliver a full working device without hiccups on time, then we can talk about promoting it.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

How much do these marketing campaigns cost? Is it going to be $100 million or $50 million or $200 million? Does anyone know? Just curious how much money they are going to burn through.

Ed: Looks like Apple went through $100 million for the first iPhone in 2007.