Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By W Hoa
  • 1 Post By 11pts
  • 1 Post By rkennedy01
  • 1 Post By houshinto#IM
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How BlackBerry recreated the mobile user experience with Z10 [NetworkWorld]

New talent (from Microsoft/Apple), new ideas, BlackBerry DNA: shake well
    Interview with .... relative newcomer, Don Lindsay, vice president of user experience design, (who was asked) to coordinate the effort to redefine not just the "BlackBerry experience," but the core "mobile experience" for users.

Lindsay speaks quietly, unassertively, methodically and readily: He's given these issues a lot of thought. He was recruited from Microsoft, where he worked for about five years, where he was design director at Microsoft Live Labs. Before that, he spent 10 years in design at Apple, where he was design director for the Mac OS X User Experience Group.

He also played a key role in BlackBerry's 2010 acquisition of The Astonishing Tribe

Lindsay credits RIM co-founder and longtime co-CEO Mihalis "Mike" Lazaridis with the initial vision displayed when he recruited Lindsay. "He recognized that [post-iPhone] there were expectations about how a consumer device should look like and behave," Lindsay says. Lazaridis has already brought in another relative newcomer, Senior Vice President Todd Wood, to reset the company's industrial design discipline for hardware.

"[Lazaridis] wanted us to bring all this to bear at RIM," says Lindsay. "He saw this was not an area of strength for the company. His idea was to 'help us understand and create an experience that appeals to a larger audience. And help us bring it to market.'"

One of the most influential principles was what the designers term "cinematic experience." Lindsay says that some outsiders think this refers only to the phone's ability to play high-definition video and its HDMI port.

"But for us it translates into 'a large screen, entirely filled by the [user] experience,'" he says. "We're giving application developers control over every pixel on the screen, not reserving some of them for things like [showing] battery life or signal strength or a virtual home button. It creates a more immersive user experience. And it also gives more room to a sweeping panorama and gestures. It was this that led us to consider using gestures instead of buttons."

One result: simple, sensuous and unfailingly consistent gestures for navigating the phone and improving the experience of working with it. "We called it 'stroking not poking,'" Lindsay says.

"The common sentiment [among reviewers] is that there is a very short learning period at the beginning," Lindsay says. "But the reward of having learned that is [that] it becomes very intuitive and very natural."

Lindsay would only talk generally about the design team's current priorities. But he started by emphasizing that "BB10 is a mobile computing platform."

"The Z10 and Q10 are just the first two devices," he says. "The challenge is, can we define a platform experience that scales across a wide array of possible device implementations? How do we define a platform that scales appropriately for that? Can we ensure the platform 'holds together' as we move from one device to another?"

The entire article is a three page read. I've posted only a quarter of it.

How BlackBerry recreated the mobile user experience with Z10 - Network World
    Thanked by 12:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    Acumenight (02-17-2013),  BBNation (02-16-2013),  drummer_god (02-16-2013),  G-bone (02-17-2013),  jrohland (02-17-2013),  kbz1960 (02-16-2013),  Knightcrawler (02-16-2013),  quik4life (02-17-2013),  RECOOL (02-18-2013),  s0be (02-16-2013),  Vorkosigan (02-16-2013),  zyben (02-17-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

Default Re: How BlackBerry recreated the mobile user experience with Z10 [NetworkWorld]

That is such a great article and I believe they really need to talk about these points more so consumers understand the method behind the madness and then they will begin to appreciate the little UI details. I work in the luxury industry and when we use luxurious fabrics and leathers we always try to educate the clients on why we made it the way we did. They always have a new found appreciation and are more proud of it.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

"We call it 'stroking not poking'..."

Ack! Bad choice of terminology!

RCK
    Acumenight likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Good read.
    CrackBerry Abuser

That's indeed a better read than I thought it would be. I so hope that people are open enough for the new gesture based UI to appreciate it!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

I was in a store yesterday and went up to use a display iPad mini. My first instinct was to swipe up on the screen to "wake" the device, as I do on my PlayBook and Z10. After a moment, I remembered that I had to press that home button.
    I have been telling Apple owners, who had been predicting that BB10 was just an iPhone copy that would fail that even if it does fail, some of it's features WILL appear on future iPhones.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    954 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AA07827

There was not much mentioned about Mike involvement leading up to the BB10 launch for good prudent reason. There will be those who will always pin ALL the blame for BB's woes on him and Jim. Regardless, I'm glad he had a front row seat at the launch event and I'm even happier that he's now getting his slice of credit for this new yet brimming platform.
    CrackBerry Master

Yeah, gesture controls is what appeals to me most in BB10, but Lindsay or whoever wrote the article could have given credit to webOS that pioneered 'stroking, not poking' instead of sounding as if it was some innovative idea that he himself came up with