Here's My Theory - BB10 Tablet
So, after doing some of my own amateur research, I have concluded that RIM is going to be announcing a new tablet, whether that's tomorrow, during the Superbowl, or later.
1) I checked Best Buy, Future Shop, Staples, both websites and in store. They no longer have Playbook in stock. Best Buy doesn't even have a clickable page, just a reference to Playbook when you search for "Playbook", Staples doesn't even have that, in fact, according to Staples, Playbook doesn't exist. Why would this be, unless RIM was planning to launch a new tablet? It hasn't been out of stock before. There aren't even display models on the shelves anymore.
2) Apple just announced a 128 GB Tablet to be released on Tuesday Feb 5th (Same day as some project to be the release of BB10 here in North America). According to another thread here on Crackberry, the road map featuring the new "Black Forest" tablet also has 128 GB model. It seems Apple is pre-emptively striking, as they know RIM is announcing a new tablet and want to be "first".
3) This whole Lenovo business smells of something funny. I think analysts used it as bait to up the price of shares, dump and walk away. But then I thought, maybe there's something else here. If RIM announces a new tablet, it takes away from the BB10 phones' debut, and makes RIM look like they're either copying Apple with the "oh, and one more thing" type of announcement. BUT... if they announce a new tablet from LENOVO... saying hey, look, there's another hardware manufacturer ready to license BB10, then that makes RIM look way better, because RIM now gets out of the hardware where they took a beating, and makes money on solely licensing. This would bode will with analysts and investors everywhere. It also makes RIM look ready to take on any company. Other manufacturers would also follow suit, so they aren't limited to just Android and Windows 8.
If there's anything you can add, or critique about my post, please do. I look forward to hearing from you guys.
- 01-29-13, 10:05 AM #2
Re: Here's My Theory - BB10 Tablet
I agree with a lot of your theory. I really think you've hit the nail on the head with the Lenovo guess. My only comment is that I thought Staples and Best Buy dropped the Playbook about 8-10 months ago or so. My stores haven't had a Playbook or were even willing to discuss them since about the end of Christmas 2011.
- CrackBerry Abuser
01-29-13, 10:07 AM #3
- 109 Posts
That's an interesting observation.
Yes indeed, those sites have no inventory. A few in-store options for The Source, but none available online. Walmart.ca also reports out of stock. CostCo.ca doesn't return any results for "PlayBook" although other tablets are. Sears.ca just has accessories listed.
- CrackBerry Addict
01-29-13, 10:20 AM #11
- 560 Posts
- 01-29-13, 10:23 AM #12
If tomorrow, Thorsten Heins is on stage and invites the Lenovo CEO on stage and he introduces the new Lenovo tablet powered by BB10 (even if it's not available until summer or back to school), I think some bricks will be had.
- 01-29-13, 11:15 AM #15
Makes no sense for them to release a tablet right away. They won't even have the X10 smartphone ready until sometime in March (Best case scenario), why would they start working on a tablet especially when they know that BB10 will have a few bugs that will need to be sorted out even a month after release.
Maybe just maybe they will annouce a BB10 tablet that could be available later in the year (May/June)
- 01-29-13, 11:32 AM #17
People are setting themselves up for disappointment if expecting a new tablet tomorrow and/or BlackBerry 10 for Playbook tomorrow. I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't believe it for a second.
- 01-29-13, 11:41 AM #18
What do you all (or as they'd say in the south all y'all) think Clewley's been doing for the past year? Sitting on his thumbs? They haven't stopped PlayBook development. They have a dedicated PlayBook group. They haven't been going to work collecting a check(que) for watching Looney Tunes.
- 01-29-13, 11:56 AM #21
IMO the recent RIM-Lenovo rumors adds some fire to the tablet rumors, my belief is that RIM is focusing on tablets for a specific segment - enterprise and governments, that is where the strategic partnership between RIM and Lenovo comes in - Lenovo will be the hardware partner and who better than Lenovo can deliver that for enterprises. Lenovo is also threatened by iPad as there is no competing tablet to counter Ipad in enterprise arena. RIM and Lenovo's existing customer base will be their go-to market and add that to a spice called BES and Security which will be easy sell.
- 01-29-13, 11:56 AM #22
- 01-29-13, 12:28 PM #23
I think that they may mention tablets in passing, reiterating that this platform is about mobile computing and not just phones along with confirming that bb10 will also be coming to playbook eventually, but beyond that there is not going to be anything definite and there definitely won't be bb10 on playbook getting released tomorrow.
- 01-29-13, 06:04 PM #24
This theory makes a lot of sense All RIM has to say is coming soon on a Lenovo tablet and if BB10 hits it out of the ballpark....then move over ipad; there's a new sheriff in town.
We'll just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow.
- CrackBerry Master
01-29-13, 10:37 PM #25
- 1,329 Posts
If they announce another tablet specifically, they are opening themselves up to criticism if they take too long in bringing it to market. They have to be careful so they don't get burned.
They might just mention that there will be more phones and tablets in the future, that they are not getting out of the tablet business and as proof, they are updating the current PlayBook with the BB 10 OS in the next X day/weeks.
- By flip4life4751 in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 57Last Post: 06-22-12, 05:45 AM
- By rmaxey1 in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 2Last Post: 10-15-08, 05:02 PM
- By paulthegman in forum IntroductionsReplies: 12Last Post: 04-02-08, 07:44 AM
- By Baroness110902 in forum IntroductionsReplies: 12Last Post: 11-21-07, 10:29 PM
- By rrrebo in forum IntroductionsReplies: 2Last Post: 06-18-07, 08:34 AM