Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree48Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts

Default Re: Google Might Try to Hurt BlackBerry 10

Quote Originally Posted by mcsemcp View Post
    Recently, Microsoft has been pretty public in their distaste for Google. Windows Phone users have allegedly been purposely blocked from using Google Maps, and having a standalone YouTube app.

Google offered this on Google Maps: “The mobile web version of Google Maps is optimized for WebKit browsers such as Chrome and Safari. However, since Internet Explorer is not a WebKit browser, Windows Phone devices are not able to access Google Maps for the mobile web.”

Although, FireFox uses Gecko and not WebKit yet Google Maps still works. This has outraged Microsoft, who believes Google is intentionally trying to hurt the Windows Phone platform.

What could it mean for BlackBerry 10 if Google were to begin limiting support? Both Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10 are fighting for the “third spot” in the mobile space.

Imagine if many Google products were not available for BlackBerry 10. Google has already ceased development work on stand-alone BlackBerry apps, such as its age-old Java Gmail app. Could you live without an official version of Google Maps, Google+, Google Chrome, Google Drive, Google Music, Google Reader, Google Voice, and even YouTube?

Google Might Try to Hurt BlackBerry 10 - N4BB
    Didn't a more recent announcement from Google say they were going to rectify the IE problem?
    Carrier controlled updates is the worst smartphone spec of them all
    Nexus 4
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    PIN
    up

Personally, I hope for Google to support RIM and the BlackBerry brand. If they don't, I don't completely care because I'm not completely dependent on them. I can easily change all my services away from Google (though I will be honest, their double-authentication login is pretty handy for me) and use Outlook's services instead. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch, and I'd have an easy time of moving everything to one single place.

The only things I really and truly hope for on BB10 from Google are Google Maps (preferably with navigation too), Google Talk, and Google+ with hangouts... though that last one isn't a necessity as I don't have too many people on my Google+. But it'd be nice. Calendar support and contact sync support is automatic with the standards Google is beginning to enforce which BB10 already complies with.
    MTL likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

BB html5-compliant browser should be able to stream youtube videos from youtube dot com. Now that we know BB browser can't access maps dot google dot com, RIM just have to make BB10 Maps outstanding. The current BB Maps doesn't cut.
    Z10 & PB32
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by FanBlackBerrytastic View Post
    The same culture that rewards Samsung for copying its way to the top, will reward google for cutting off the face of its once customers!
    Bet Bing would not exist on BB 10 phones anymore. Let alone even a mention of it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FunktasticLucky View Post
    I just closed my google+ account. It sux. I'm also in the process of moving to outlook email as well. I'm tired of google selling all my info and everything else they are collecting my info for.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    And Microsoft isn't?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Google Might Try to Hurt BlackBerry 10

I use Blackberry because they are the best for messaging/social Neworking bar none.I love the keyboard on my 9860. For reading my paper,large bodies of Text,U Tube videos,and in car navigation I carry my Note 2. I think RIM should keep a keyboard phone,put out a Phablet and make the Playbook a 10" 4G WiFI device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts

Come on guys look on the bright side! People will be running Google services on their Android phones along with swipe gestures and active frames, courtesy of the Ubuntu on Android project
    Carrier controlled updates is the worst smartphone spec of them all
    Nexus 4
  8. PTZ
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Google is just another big business looking out for what is best for its long term profitability . Hopefully RIM has done the same with its new phone line and operating system. I read an article about Google on Gizmodo, "The Case Against Google" that kind of helped my understanding about what it is and where it is going. I found the subsequent commentary / discussion by readers very interesting. If helping RIM and its new self, helps Google or in the least does not hurt it, I think they will just go game as usual. Google has been changing, but so is Microsoft and RIM and all the tech compainies because it has become apparent that you can be left in the dust by the new speed of change. Innovations in the tech sector are just astounding and the pace at which they arrive are startling. Its like WOW all the time.
  9. MTL
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by BekNazar View Post
    The new BB maps is pretty cool though.
    Does it work internationally like Google Maps? Or just in the US and Canada?

I love the latitude feature where I can show my family where I am while traveling abroad. Also good when I'm not in a safe country
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Seems like the feeling is google did the worst damage already! that was android. Anything now is but a glancing blow! And RIM should be ready this time.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    PIN
    up

BB Maps has always been international. It's licensed with TomTom, currently, so maps are provided for the vast majority of the mapped world. Google maps just tends to have further functionality over the current BB Maps in the way of having searchable stores (rather than just addresses), latitude services (BBM could let you send your location to a contact, too so not completely lost there), and the satellite view of maps rather than just, well, the map. Google Maps on Android is also vector based which made it a touch more data efficient than other map options.

I'm hoping all these things will be taken care of with the next version of BlackBerry Maps, but we'll have to wait and see, right?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,817 Global Posts

Curious if RIMM will be the first phone to release a navigation app that doesn't suck.

Sorry, but my Droid's blows compared to my standalone GPS unit I bought years ago. 3D maps is a gimic. I want to get to point B from A and I don't start on the 10th floor of the sears tower and end up in the 50th floor of the empire state building.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

I think RIM needs Google functionality way more than we'd like to admit, but that could be just my needs talking.

If the numbers are there, Google will come. I think, in a way, Google needs RIM too. It may be a relatively small piece of the mobile pie, but tying even small pieces into its ecosystem is the smart play, IMHO.

Don't cry for MS. SB lobbed rocks and got miffed when a boulder came back at him.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by mcsemcp View Post
    Could you live without an official version of Google Maps, Google+, Google Chrome, Google Drive, Google Music, Google Reader, Google Voice, and even YouTube?
    Yes.

Global Posts
    9,326 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    And BB10 doesn't just have a WebKit browser, it's HTML5 infrastructure is completely WebKit compliant.
    add that the desktop mode of the browser would make the detection process much harder, so that it's very unlikely BB10 devices would be blocked full.
    Thus, having to "cheat" wouldn't be great.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares

Global Posts
    9,326 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by BekNazar View Post
    Maps.Google.com is blocked on BB10 as well.
    You get redirected to the Google home page.
    The new BB maps is pretty cool though.
    What I said in previous post ... desktop mode enabled and ... voilà !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google Might Try to Hurt BlackBerry 10-img_00000001.jpg  
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123