Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Global Posts
    9,763 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Gadget Masters : "BlackBerry Will Make The Comeback of The Decade"

Ranked #3 in 2013 predictions ...
    6 Tech Predictions for 2013: Apple Will Embrace NFC | The Gadget Masters

With RIM aiming to launch six BlackBerry 10 models in calendar 2013, it should have no trouble selling 40 million BB 10 smartphones (10 million per quarter) in 2013. Since the breakeven point for the company is estimated at 18 million BB 10 units,RIM will return to profitability in 2013.
    The most interesting aspect of BB 10 (and QNX Neutrino) is its use beyond smartphones. Thorstein Heins has talked in a recent interview about , which could be a big threat to Microsoft’s enterprise PCs.
    BlackBerry will continue its push into NFC payments using its SEM solution. In addition, it will move into other markets using BB 10, including smart home security systems. In fact, these developments could prove to be the most interesting for BlackBerry loyalists.
    I like reading optimistic - yet not crazy - forecast
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    Thanked by:
    G-bone (01-02-2013) 
    CrackBerry Master

I am looking forward to the day that my phone could be used as the "brain" for my laptop and desktop.
    BergerKing and amjass12 like this.
    CrackBerry User

I like the optimism too, but he throws the "40 million units sold" prediction around like it's nothing. I'm more concerned about what Google is breaking to the table with the Google X OS.

Global Posts
    9,763 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Rodgers View Post
    I like the optimism too, but he throws the "40 million units sold" prediction around like it's nothing. I'm more concerned about what Google is breaking to the table with the Google X OS.
    +1. Like I wrote, it's (at least) optimistic but if the 40million mark is here, then his title is far beyond reality ... because it won't stop in a year and will put opponents (I have one particular in mind) in serious troubles ... this would be only the first shake.
    CrackBerry User

New meaning to 'thin client'.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,173 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

"The most interesting aspect of BB 10 (and QNX Neutrino) is its use beyond smartphones"

This is exactly what I am hoping is part of the big reveal on January 30th. That RIM announces partnerships that demonstrate an inside track for BlackBerry 10 in terms of integration of smartphones with other devices and services.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts

I am going to be in the market for a new PC and have been trying to get to one device for a long time. I am holding out in hopes BB10 can be this solution.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Whatever google x is, it wont have 30+ years of refinement and industry adoption!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts

Default Re: Gadget Masters : "BlackBerry Will Make The Comeback of The Decade"

Everything on the list seems possible.

1) Not sure if we are going to see an amazon phone.

2)Apple will embrace NFC but its going to more open and cause wide spread adoption of the technology.

3) I'm expecting rim to start with a small niche of businessmen and rim fanboys which should be enough for now. Really think they need a relaunched playbook.

4)that's the biggest one I'm expecting. The nexus brand has grown this past year with the 4,7, and 10 all being sold out for the majority of the holiday season,

5) A given.

6) Samsung is scared and a To zen OS could hurt the company as as they try to get away from android,.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,989 Global Posts

where did he get the info that 18 Million is the break even mark?

by the 79 Million current users that is only 25% upgrade... plus all the people like myself that have other phones and are waiting to get to the BB brand. I would say even a good 20%, 1/5, current user upgrade along with the 'new' buys (this includes people returning to BB) would mean an even break for RIM...

which is pretty low, meaning that this is very good for RIM... although the other thread saying RIM will throw in 1 billion to it is a bit worrying .
    ------------------------>LIST OF WORKING Android Apps for Z10/BB10 ---200 SO FAR!!! <------------------------
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Sadly, general consumers cannot use Citrix Receiver as a general tool without paying for their own server. As in the video, the BlackBerry PlayBook is using the computer by Citrix, which is connected to a server, which is connected to his computer. That way he can use his PlayBook from his computer, or his computer from his PlayBook. But to get a bigger view, he connected a HDMI cable from monitor to PlayBook. Now obviously he's using someone's server, but general every day customers can't and won't just pay for a server for this purpose. This is why I uninstalled Citrix, as it was no use. Never the less, it would be useful for enterprises who may need to take certain tools with them.
    Josh - Curve 9320 & PlayBook 64GB - BlackBerry Enthusiast - CrackBerry Addict - PlayBook Sideloader

Global Posts
    9,763 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by FSeverino View Post
    where did he get the info that 18 Million is the break even mark?
    He's referring to the profitability (meaning shares remuneration) that has been estimated to be back around this level.
    Must say that it is based on low priced devices (lower than my ears told me); Chris blogged about this :
    Here's an interesting number to keep in mind though - $227. That's the average selling price (ASP) analysts think RIM will achieve in the year ending February 2014. As a crucial reminder, ASP is what RIM charges carriers for phones, and is NOT the same as the subsidized or off-contract price. Obviously BlackBerry 10 will have a way higher ASP (I think closer to $550), so depending on the mix shift over the next year, this is where RIM has a lot of potential earnings leverage.

Global Posts
    9,763 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Crowezine View Post
    Sadly, general consumers cannot use Citrix Receiver as a general tool without paying for their own server. As in the video, the BlackBerry PlayBook is using the computer by Citrix, which is connected to a server, which is connected to his computer. That way he can use his PlayBook from his computer, or his computer from his PlayBook. But to get a bigger view, he connected a HDMI cable from monitor to PlayBook. Now obviously he's using someone's server, but general every day customers can't and won't just pay for a server for this purpose. This is why I uninstalled Citrix, as it was no use. Never the less, it would be useful for enterprises who may need to take certain tools with them.
    There are several alternatives that can provide similar (at least the most useful) services. While Citrix Receiver is at very high level, general consumer will be able to enjoy a "simple" RDS client ... and there are many available. Search Results for "Remote Desktop" - BlackBerry App World
    Most of them can connect to a single computer and - for windows users - without extra software installation.
    I personnaly used the "Remote Desktop for Blackberry Playbook" by Todd Grayson (beware of similar names) and I must say it saved my life at least twice (accessing my desktop apps and my web servers settings while in vacation).

I don't know what else Google may have up its sleeve for Android, but I can tell you without the slightest degree of uncertainty that for a smart home security solution, the absolute last thing I'd consider is anything from Google.

I really like where they're going with BB10.
    Ed

Ursus moderatus levisomnus.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts

RIM should do very well in the business and security segments. The consumer sale is still an ecosystem choice. NFC won't get hot until Apple and Droid create general acceptance. It is after all a consumer offering.
    CrackBerry User

Android is and always will be a heavy and pretty much flawed OS you cannot make it better you need to rebuilt it from scratch.

I even believe that Google will make the mistake of closing it down, and asking money for it. And sumsung will leave android and concentrate on tizen or whatever they feel is best.

Even wp8 has greater chance of survival than android. When bb10 will get traction it will be clear to all.

PQ
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by plasmid_boy View Post
    I am looking forward to the day that my phone could be used as the "brain" for my laptop and desktop.
    As long as it's only the brain for you laptop and desktop, not your "shouldertop" ;D

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    BergerKing likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    947 Global Posts

The Google X Phone is just going to be a pimped out Android. It'll still be Android, just really powerful and have NFC etc.

If anything, I see Google's fortunes fading eventually, to the point where third party handset makers start to see that they are in the business of pushing page views and ad revenue to Google, at the cost of their ever-diminishing returns on their efforts to stay at the forefront of hardware specs.

Look at Samsung. Sure, the Galaxy SIII made them a ton of money... backed by all the other money Samsung makes on TVs, appliances, building SHIPS for jebus' sake, so only companies that have that breadth of diversification can even be in the game. Who's that, LG? Maybe some chinese company, eventually? Why not Foxconn!?

So, race to the bottom on top specs per production cost dollar, and you'll see a gray fog of sameness across all manufacturers: something like the Galaxy Note, the SIII and possibly something slightly smaller, then continue to sell last years model into emerging markets. It will be a commodity and the manufacturers will not be willing to keep up the pace and exit one by one... but Google will be laughing the whole time, as they get ever-increasing ad revenues (the US department of commerce will eventually realize how much of Google's ad revenue is fradulent / click-bots and will crack down, but not for a long time, until there are a whole bunch of PhD computer scientists in congress).

Google's business model isn't sustainable as it is now, and even more so a sheeple wake up to the sickening thought of having a CORPORATION having such a broad and deep profile of their activities... one day for sale to the highest bidder / hacker.

So what does that mean for RIM? It just means that Google is in a "the higher they climb, the harder they fall" position, and Google will eventually fall, as we are starting to see cracks in the structure of the Apple ivory tower now.

If RIM sticks to their guns (on openness and transparency for developers, making opportunities for THEM to get rich, too, not just RIM) and executes the BB10 launch successfully, 20 million units in the fiscal year starting in erm, March 2013 (not sure of the date) is absolutely reachable, and if consumer reception is good, then why NOT 40 million?
    I was tapering off. I'm all tapered out now.
    Thanked by:
    ThaSwapMeetPimp (01-02-2013) 
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,393 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pavlos46 View Post
    Android is and always will be a heavy and pretty much flawed OS you cannot make it better you need to rebuilt it from scratch.

I even believe that Google will make the mistake of closing it down, and asking money for it. And sumsung will leave android and concentrate on tizen or whatever they feel is best.

Even wp8 has greater chance of survival than android. When bb10 will get traction it will be clear to all.

PQ
    They'll close it down before they ask money for it, methinks.

Android is just a sideshow for Google. That's why it has to hurt Apple and RIM that it is this successful. If only Google would actually focus on it...

MS and Google can afford to fail in the mobile space, IMHO.
    kozmo68 and Bobert_123 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,569 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sleepngbear View Post
    I don't know what else Google may have up its sleeve for Android... [SNIP]
    Google Glass.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,393 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    Google Glass.
    It is getting some nice reviews.

I'm also hearing about expanded functionality in Google Now.
    CrackBerry Addict

interesting predictions, it certainly will make for a fascinating year
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caymancroc View Post
    I am going to be in the market for a new PC and have been trying to get to one device for a long time. I am holding out in hopes BB10 can be this solution.
    Sorry I just cant see BB as a PC maker or BB10 even being on a laptop in general imo
    Sent from my Z30, Z10, or a soon to be BB10 PlayBook

-BlackBerry Curve 8530 (Virgin Mobile) -BlackBerry Bold 9900 (T-Mobile) -BlackBerry PlayBook 64 gig -BlackBerry Z10 (T-Mobile) -BlackBerry Z30 WHITE (Unlocked)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert_123 View Post
    Sorry I just cant see BB as a PC maker or BB10 even being on a laptop in general imo
    A new playbook running Bb10 could fit the bill.

Still think no has reached what HP showed off last year at the touchpad launch event.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,579 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caymancroc View Post
    Not sure if serious....
    mikeo007 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast