Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By donmateo
  • 1 Post By BoldtotheMax
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default FTC accuses T-Mobile of making millions off bogus charges {Fox News}

WASHINGTON The Federal Trade Commission is alleging that T-Mobile USA, Inc., made "hundreds of millions" of dollars off its customers through bogus charges.

In a complaint filed Tuesday, the FTC says the mobile phone provider billed consumers for subscriptions to "premium" texts such as $10-per-month horoscopes that were never authorized by the account holder. The FTC alleges that T-Mobile collected as much as 40 percent of the charges, even after being made aware that the subscriptions were scams.

FTC Chair Edith Ramirez said in a statement that the agency's goal is to ensure T-Mobile repays its customers. She said there were, quote, "clear warning signs the charges it was imposing were fraudulent."
    Full Article: FTC accuses T-Mobile of making millions off bogus charges | Fox News
    BBM Channel: C00120B93
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Ironic that the "Uncarrier, we're your bro" T-Mobile has been screwing people. Absolutely ridiculous. Glad I am not a TMo user. Wonder how Sprint feels about this.
    BBM Channel: C00120B93
    CrackBerry Addict

This has been going on awhile since Tmob stopped allowing premium SMS 3rd party services to charge on carrier billing since last fall. They've instituted refund program

Beginning in July and running through September, T-Mobile will notify current and former customers who paid for Premium SMS services and have not already received a refund to let them know the process to request a summary of these charges and then request a refund for charges that were not authorized. A special website will also be available in July to provide more information.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,398 Global Posts

The kabuki theatre will continue for a while and they will eventually settle.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    13,072 Global Posts
    PIN
    With Needle

Karma works!
    "Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Tank Pilot)
    CrackBerry Genius

People are funny. I had this happen to me on T-Mobile. I pay attention to my bill every month. I called immediately about it and they took the charge off my account. Never again have I saw another one. It's actually on point every month unlike other bills I have where they raise it for no apparent reason... Again, I pay attention so as not to get nailed with late charges.

Also, every carrier has done this in the past, it's nothing new. T-Mobile gets nailed because they are changing certain aspects of the industry.
    grover5 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

Good I hope they get sued and we get some kind of refund. I doubt we would see a dime tho

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

All the US wireless providers will eventually have to pay restitution or have done already. Interesting story involving a BB customer in 2013 and AT&T.

In early February, I received texts on my BlackBerry inviting me to subscribe to two different short message services. One is called Gossip and the other is called HoroscopeGenie. I don’t believe in horoscopes and don’t care about celebrity gossip, so I deleted both texts without opening them.

But when I checked my latest AT&T bill, I discovered that I was charged $9.99 for a month for both. I called AT&T and spoke with a very nice representative who informed me that I would have to open the text message in order to read the fine print at the bottom, which would give me the option to opt out of the default subscription.
    How does a company like Wise Media wind up on an AT&T bill? A member of the public relations team at AT&T, Mark Siegel, handed the Haggler off to Mari Melguizo, a spokeswoman-for-hire at Fleischman-Hillard, a P.R. firm. The Haggler sees nothing wrong with a company outsourcing its vocal cords, but it was soon clear that Ms. Melguizo knew next to nothing about Wise Media in particular or cramming in general.

She correctly noted that AT&T would refund the money of anyone who complains about a third-party SMS charge. But the problem isn’t that people notice these charges and get stuck with them. It’s that an unknown number of people never realize that they are being charged in the first place.

Why does AT&T allow Wise Media to show up on its bills? Is it because AT&T is taking a cut of the revenue generated by Wise Media?

Nope, said Ms. Melguizo.

Really, asked the Haggler?

Really, said Ms. Melguizo.

Could you double-check that, asked the Haggler?

She could, she said.

The next day she sent this e-mail, also quoted in its entirety:

“AT&T has no further comment at this time.”