Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Cross-Platform BBM: It's Happening [speculation]

Right from Hein's mouth from the earnings call:

"As the business migrates to Blackberry 10, we intend to enhance our business offering with new value-creating services to continue to generate sales revenues. And the areas we plan to leverage for new service offerings include new services for our strong Blackberry messenger base, possible licensing of Blackberry 10, the creation of cross-platform offerings, services that leverage Blackberry?s highly engaged and sophisticated social media community, advanced security tools, and additional enterprise services."

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1306...nscript?page=4

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by lawguyman; 03-30-2013 at 09:44 AM.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.

Global Posts
    10,389 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

He doesn't say BBM will be cross platform.
    "Cross platform offerings" could be nothing more than BES10 working cross platform.
    Thanked by:
    Supa_Fly1 (03-31-2013) 
    schmeat, Supa_Fly1 and r0v3rT3N like this.
    CrackBerry Master

That could mean you can wire money to your friends through BBM. I think they are doing that in some Asian country now.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

BES10 is cross platform, may he's just talking about that...
    Check out my BB10 Cascades Coding Site: http://BBcascades.com/ Blog: http://bbcascadescode.tumblr.com/

My Apps: The Dive Plan (Built for BlackBerry Approved) | Visual Connection | Combo Pics | Beer Math | Random Stories | Logic Puzzles
    CrackBerry Abuser

"possible licensing of Blackberry 10" is the big one.
    Thor and blackberry admits they can't do it alone
    'BlackBerry is not in a trough' - RIM CEO Thorsten Heins interview - Telegraph

"We don't have the economy of scale to compete against the guys who crank out 60 handsets a year. We have to differentiate and have a focused platform. To deliver BB10 we may need to look at licensing it to someone who can do this at a way better cost proposition than I can do it. There's different options we could do that we're currently investigating."
    my take is BB10 licensed to Lenovo for Chinese market and Sony for Japanese market.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    He doesn't say BBM will be cross platform.
    "Cross platform offerings" could be nothing more than BES10 working cross platform.
    He says "Additional enterprise Offerings" so the cross platform offerings that he is talking about are something different.

Plus, cross platform means an app that runs on different platforms. What else can it be other than BBM?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

I would like to see a PC based BBM program to allow BlackBerry to PC Text, chat and video. Much like Skype.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    Dapper37 and s0be like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yes, I agree! Make bb link useful!!! I can envision (but not program LOL!!!) BBM residing within BB link and having pc capbility, voice and video. Even if they start with XP and move forward. There must
    be someway of doing this!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I could vision BBM being cross platform but limited to other platforms...If you want a full BBM experience you'll have to get a BB10 device

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

My guess is that those running bes10 will be able to use BBM under their Work Profile in other platforms. I would be surprised if cross platform BBM is available to regular consumers

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,939 Global Posts
    PIN
    Implying I still use a BB...

I dont think its worth the resources for BBRY to develop BBM for other platforms, there are tons of other cross platform messaging tools that fill the void. Now if they had a PC/Mac client then that would be pretty spiffy.
    GOD'S IN HIS HEAVEN, ALL'S RIGHT WITH THE WORLD
    CrackBerry Genius

........N0!
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

This thread got marked as speculation. I don't see it as speculation anymore.

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent likes this.

Global Posts
    10,389 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by lawguyman View Post
    He says "Additional enterprise Offerings" so the cross platform offerings that he is talking about are something different.

Plus, cross platform means an app that runs on different platforms. What else can it be other than BBM?

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Maps
    BlackBerry Music
    BlackBerry Travel
    BlackBerry Wallet (would like to see that come to the Z10)
    BlackBerry Link (could easily be made cross platform)
    Remember app

All these and more could be made cross platform as easily as BBM, and they all have about the same economic advantage for BlackBerry (that is, none).
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by sonbuster View Post
    "possible licensing of Blackberry 10" is the big one.
    Thor and blackberry admits they can't do it alone
    'BlackBerry is not in a trough' - RIM CEO Thorsten Heins interview - Telegraph

my take is BB10 licensed to Lenovo for Chinese market and Sony for Japanese market.
    This would be a win-win movement.
    Duantox Apps
    Leandro Cerdan (Head developer)
    BlackBerry Elite Dev
    TapyHold, BB10 Built for Blackberry multimedia scrapbook app developer
    Duantox Twitter: https://twitter.com/duantox
    Tapyhold Twitter: https://twitter.com/tapyhold
    Email: info at duantox dot com
    CrackBerry Master

I think it only makes sense to make BBM cross-platform. They can sell it for like $3 on iTunes and Google Play, and people will automatically pick it up. If there's one thing people on iPhone and Android will NOT knock BB for, it's BBM. Everybody who jumped ship to iPhone and Android still reminisce about using BBM. And I'm sure if they improve BBM and make it something more than simply just an alternative to whatsapp, they can surely turn it into a revenue-making service that can only help the brand. Something like charging a yearly subscription for the service (something reasonable like $15 a year) while BB users get it for free with some added benefits, would surely not only keep BB on everyone's mind, but also profit off of the people who would never switch to BB anyway.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Wasn't there some speculations/rumors that BBM would ONLY be offered for iPhones and Androids that run BES10.

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    BlackBerry Maps
    BlackBerry Music
    BlackBerry Travel
    BlackBerry Wallet (would like to see that come to the Z10)
    BlackBerry Link (could easily be made cross platform)
    Remember app

All these and more could be made cross platform as easily as BBM, and they all have about the same economic advantage for BlackBerry (that is, none).
    Whatsapp is a paid service so why wouldn't people on other platforms pay for bbm. One of the things you hear consistently from people who migrate away from BlackBerry is that one of the things they miss is bbm. I believe BlackBerry would be smart to allow bbm cross platform.

Posted via CB10

Global Posts
    10,389 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG81 View Post
    Whatsapp is a paid service so why wouldn't people on other platforms pay for bbm. One of the things you hear consistently from people who migrate away from BlackBerry is that one of the things they miss is bbm. I believe BlackBerry would be smart to allow bbm cross platform.

Posted via CB10
    I think you're overestimating the willingness of people on Android to pay for anything with any currency other than their personal information
    supraking likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,537 Global Posts

BBM going cross-platform would be amazing in my eyes. One can dream...

Don't be afraid to THANK or LIKE

BBM: 7A03E5E9

What is the ultimate BlackBerry? The ultimate BlackBerry would be a device with the screen size of the Z10 along with the physical keyboard of the Q10 and the battery life of the Z30. This, would be the ultimate BlackBerry. Why they haven't built it yet remains one of the greatest mystery of BlackBerry.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

I support adds on BBM for iOS and android,no adds for BlackBerry users!
    CrackBerry Addict

They might actually warn some revenue from it though not sure about the impact it may have on cannibalising bb10 phone sales. On the other hand I've never heard of anyone buying the phone purely for bbm so... there might be no loss there.

I'm sure it will do well... whatsapp is terribly unreliable. messages doesn't get through and it is annoying how they have access to all your contacts and everything. I do not want people who have my phone number to automatically have access to my whatsapp!!! E.g. There was a time I realised that my boss could, if she tried, see my status complaining about work. Given the choice I'd never use whatsapp but it is the cheapest way of communicating with other platforms!!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

I would purchase BBM in a heartbeat on my Lumia 920. Just don't make it subscription based. Whatsapp is subscription based but they've never made me pay as they keep extending the trial period. I would never pay a subscription fee for a messaging service.

I'm sure BBM sales will be through the roof if it goes cross platform. I hope it happens soon enough
    CrackBerry Abuser

But before they even take it cross platform, I'm still waiting for it on my playbook.
    CrackBerry Addict

BBM current implementation is based on PIN's. The use of an embedded PIN helps to secure a BBM's from one BB device to another. A cross platform implementation of BBM would require, based on the existing technology, IOS and Android devices to also have a PIN. This would likely require non-BB's to emulate a PIN. If simulating a PIN is allowed, this could be a huge potential breach in security because someone could emulate the PIN of say a government official. This limitation makes me think that cross platform bbm will not happen or if it does then it will be implemented only in a enterprise where bbm's can only be sent "interoffice".
    cjcampbell likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast