Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts

That seemed like a reviewer who had to keep remembering he was supposed to be an iphone guy.

One thing I don't get is people who think the iphone is a good looking phone. I have never liked the look of the iphone since my husband's first one which was the iphone 3. To each their own I suppose. I think the Z10 (Vader) to be extremely sexy.
    Power corrupts. Knowledge is power.
    Study hard. Be evil.
    CrackBerry User

great article. thanks for the post

Q10 all day!!
    Phone:
    Blackberry Bold 9930 w/32gb mirco sd
    Q10 in July!

tablet:
    Blackberry Playbook 64gb

bb Z10 AND Q10 .. best and best …
    CrackBerry Abuser

This part floored me:

In essence: BlackBerry has done the impossible, and made iOS seem complicated. So much so, that Iíve often been picking the Z10 up in before the iPhone to achieve tasks like checking email, Facebook and Twitter. It just feels more natural.
    If Apples earlier success was "all about the user experience", as many have claimed, BlackBerry is set for a meteoric rise.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,863 Global Posts

yup. i was using my iphone 4 to browse CB yesterday as my Z10 was charging and I swiped bottom up to minimize the CB App and check the time...

lol
    ------------------------>LIST OF WORKING Android Apps for Z10/BB10 ---200 SO FAR!!! <------------------------
    ladeberry and Vorkosigan like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,539 Global Posts
    PIN
    Oh look...tools. Now I can fix the infractions that I've been given.

Excellent review. Funny that he never mentioned the expandable micro sd slot.
    MePiikan...You shall not be forgotten.

CrackBerry BadBoy

Community Rules & Guidelines
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts
    PIN
    Available upon request

Very well-written, fair, and objective. He didn't seem like your typical iSheep. Thank you OP for posting this. :-)
    8320>8520>Various dumb phones and Droids which shall remain nameless>Z10 goodness!!!
    Banned

Global Posts
    380 Global Posts

iPhone the king of all smartphones finally got defeated!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I think the iPhone is a better design too. That's why I thought the BlackBerry should have kept their Dev Alpha design for the Z10.....more PlayBook like.comparisons iphone vs Z10 from an iphone site-blackberry_10_devalpha.jpg
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28c55527
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #35  

i do this alll the time since i started using my playbook, on my 9810... i always forget and swipe first , before i remember i'm not on the playbook, on every touch screen device i come in contact with, my first action is always a swipe, then i remember eish its not my playbook....lol
    Quote Originally Posted by FSeverino View Post
    yup. i was using my iphone 4 to browse CB yesterday as my Z10 was charging and I swiped bottom up to minimize the CB App and check the time...

lol
    curve8310--curve8900--tour9650--curve8520-bold9780--torch9810--Playbook 32gb-Q10
    CrackBerry Abuser

The Z10 is designed for functional purposes. The extra room on the top and bottom are for the base of your thumbs to rest on while you use it in landscape mode without interfering with the screen. The extra bezel around the sides (which the author of the article did not like) was for the ease of using gestures (duh!). You can't really use gestures if you don't have bezels, or more difficult to use gestures with very thin sides.

The article is correct about one thing though, BB's are workhorses. They are designed with a functional purpose in mind and not simply for aesthetic reasons. However, despite having said that, if BB can further improve on the design without compromising functionality, then they will be closer to hitting all the nails on the head. What they have now with the Z10 is a very good start and hopefully it will only improve from here on.

What I am curious though is what will become of the iPhone design when they have to incorporate NFC and other technologies in their phone, given these technologies come with predefined restrictions.
    I use BB10...the blasphemy!
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

Great comparison with the obvious bias in mind. I thought the photo of the guitar on the Z10 looked better.
    trynacu2 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,249 Global Posts

Reasonable article but the author was just learning BB10 whereas he was totally familiar with the iPhone. I suspect that if he used he Z10 for a month steady and he went back to the iPhone he might be frustrated with IOS. Apps !!! hope they come.

That said, the Q10 will be the worlds best QWERTY phone - no rivals there.
    CrackBerry Abuser

It's the identical white material that the Bold 9900 has now. I have the 9900 and compared it side-by-side with the white Z10 and it's the same. The black is more rubbery with more grip like the Playbook. I think if they used the rubbery material in white then dirt would stick to it.
    BB 7520,8210,9000,9700,9900,iphone 5
    CrackBerry Newbie

These same sentiments are being shared by people picking up and using a Playbook. They just love the flow of the operating system, and realize just how clunky the other os's are when they go back to them. One friend, a musician, thought he was sold on the ipad, until I brought my Playbook to work and showed him the possibilities. He loved the tablet and bought one. He uses both his Playbook and an ipad at work but seriously loves the usability of his Playbook; it just makes sense, he says.
    Thanked by:
    TRlPPlN (02-09-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

His Z10 battery life is crazy impressive - 0900 Sunday to 2200 Monday?? I'm not getting anything vaguely close to that. Mine came off charge at 0530 yesterday and turned itself off with a flat battery at around 2130 last night - 16 hours, most of it on 3G network and being used quite heavily.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by recompile View Post
    This part floored me:

In essence: BlackBerry has done the impossible, and made iOS seem complicated. So much so, that I’ve often been picking the Z10 up in before the iPhone to achieve tasks like checking email, Facebook and Twitter. It just feels more natural.
    If Apples earlier success was "all about the user experience", as many have claimed, BlackBerry is set for a meteoric rise.
    Yes, seemed an extraordinary statement. I thought folks were complaining the BB10 OS takes too long to get used to and was overly complex. I have to agree with that sentiment to a minor degree; I've been watching BB10 stuff for MONTHS in the lead up to the release, but when I first picked up the device I was completely lost. That only lasted about 5 minutes, though, and now it is just a joy to use. The big difficulty for me was with closing an application; I initially expected to be able to 'close' an App, rather than just swiping it up and forgetting it. Soon becomes second nature, though.

Gawd, but I love my Z10. Just got my son an HTC 8S, so I'm going to be able to play around with a Win8 device. Immediate problem I found was with universal search - Win8 doesn't have it, and you have to search each application separately to find something. I didn't realise how important a function that is to me.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    266FC1BD

I loved this review. Unbiased and to the point. BB10 just needs a couple of updates and it's good to go!

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

Wow! One of my readers pointed me towards this forum, and I noticed it in our analytics. Thanks so much for the kind comments. Of course, I have a more in depth knowledge of iOS. But before my iPhone days, I was a BlackBerry-only person. No one wants to see BBerry get back on its feet more than I do. Up until about 12 months back, I carried two devices: iPhone and BlackBerry (9700 or 9100).

I hope you'll forgive the lack of mention of the Micro SD card, for me, it's a non-issue. I use mostly cloud services, and try to store as little as possible on the actual devices. With 16GB in-built storage on the Z10, it's more than ample for me needs. And, personally, I'm not a big Micro USB fan. The quality of the engineering is so poor compared to the Lightning connector, but it's not something that should sway anyone from one device to another. Not in my mind.
    Thanked by 2:
    MasterOfBinary (02-09-2013),  peter9477 (02-09-2013) 
    peter9477 and simu31 like this.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by CamBunton View Post
    Wow! One of my readers pointed me towards this forum, and I noticed it in our analytics. Thanks so much for the kind comments. Of course, I have a more in depth knowledge of iOS. But before my iPhone days, I was a BlackBerry-only person. No one wants to see BBerry get back on its feet more than I do. Up until about 12 months back, I carried two devices: iPhone and BlackBerry (9700 or 9100).

I hope you'll forgive the lack of mention of the Micro SD card, for me, it's a non-issue. I use mostly cloud services, and try to store as little as possible on the actual devices. With 16GB in-built storage on the Z10, it's more than ample for me needs. And, personally, I'm not a big Micro USB fan. The quality of the engineering is so poor compared to the Lightning connector, but it's not something that should sway anyone from one device to another. Not in my mind.
    We just appreciate the open-mindedness - rare these days due to the marketing tie-ins and stock analyst agendas...
    CrackBerry Addict

It's been hard finding fair reviews of the Z10 since launch, it seems most people take brand loyalty to extremes these days, so thanks for your unbiased opinions. Personally, I don't care if a reviewer loves or hates a device as long as the review is fair. Another review I liked was by Knowlton Thomas @ Techvibes, if you haven't already you should check it out, it's pretty unique.

Cheers!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yes, I've been reading about BB10 gestures for a while too, but I finally laid hands on a live Z10 today and I have to admit I was a little lost for the duration of my "hands-on." I knew the four fundamental gestures, plus pinch-zoom, but finding my way around was a little daunting. I'm thinking of doing some app development so when I got home I downloaded the Z10 simulator and practiced a bit with the virtual handset. Now I can navigate more effectively, but I would still need a few days with a physical handset for muscle memory to kick in.

As for closing apps, that eluded me at first too, but I found you don't have to "just forget them." Swipe up to minimize the app, then hit the "X" on the "tile." Voila, the app is gone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by hurds View Post
    Great comparison with the obvious bias in mind. I thought the photo of the guitar on the Z10 looked better.
    I saw another review that compared the Z10 camera negatively to the iPhone. As here, many chimed in that they preferred the Z10 rendition, that it actually retained more information than the over-brightened iPhone version. The original comments also denigrated the "dull" appearance of the Z10 image compared to the iPhone one, but several serious photographers (of which I am one) pointed out that what the reviewer was actually seeing was the smooth capture of the full range of pixel intensities compared to the "contrasty" iPhone capture.

The issue is that most (almost all) people seem to prefer their images and video to be "punchier" than real life. In the days of CRT televisions, before contrast and colour balance were synchronized with a reference signal from the broadcast station, most people had the saturation and contrast cranked up much higher than a faithful representation of the original source. The problem with capturing an image this way is that if the contrast or brightness is skewed up in the saved file, information is forever lost and can not be recovered later except by approximation. Real photographers go to great lengths to avoid "burned out" highlights, or "blacked out" shadows. All the iPhone comparison photos I've seen show evidence of information loss due to overly aggressive contrast and brightness compensation. My guess is that Apple decided to capture images the way most people want to view them, rather than more balanced captures that resolve the full gamut of image shading. Photographers believe it is better to capture the image more faithfully, then boost the image "pop" as needed later, whereas the average handset camera user doesn't understand or care about all this stuff and just expects to see a "punchy" photo right off the bat.

As for colour balance, most reviews I've seen do complain that iPhone whites are "whiter" and the images I've seen do support this. That said, colour balance is a software parameter, and as such, if it is identified as a consistent problem, a simple software update will fix it.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    pins tend to hurt you..

Thanks you for the unbiased review..as other have already said, it was great. I really did enjoy it.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    pins tend to hurt you..

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Green View Post
    I saw another review that compared the Z10 camera negatively to the iPhone. As here, many chimed in that they preferred the Z10 rendition, that it actually retained more information than the over-brightened iPhone version. The original comments also denigrated the "dull" appearance of the Z10 image compared to the iPhone one, but several serious photographers (of which I am one) pointed out that what the reviewer was actually seeing was the smooth capture of the full range of pixel intensities compared to the "contrasty" iPhone capture.

The issue is that most (almost all) people seem to prefer their images and video to be "punchier" than real life. In the days of CRT televisions, before contrast and colour balance were synchronized with a reference signal from the broadcast station, most people had the saturation and contrast cranked up much higher than a faithful representation of the original source. The problem with capturing an image this way is that if the contrast or brightness is skewed up in the saved file, information is forever lost and can not be recovered later except by approximation. Real photographers go to great lengths to avoid "burned out" highlights, or "blacked out" shadows. All the iPhone comparison photos I've seen show evidence of information loss due to overly aggressive contrast and brightness compensation. My guess is that Apple decided to capture images the way most people want to view them, rather than more balanced captures that resolve the full gamut of image shading. Photographers believe it is better to capture the image more faithfully, then boost the image "pop" as needed later, whereas the average handset camera user doesn't understand or care about all this stuff and just expects to see a "punchy" photo right off the bat.

As for colour balance, most reviews I've seen do complain that iPhone whites are "whiter" and the images I've seen do support this. That said, colour balance is a software parameter, and as such, if it is identified as a consistent problem, a simple software update will fix it.
    I feel like I just got out of photography history class. Thanks for the info that actually cleared a lot up
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast