Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,598 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Storm View Post
    I'm guessing you just pulled that number out of your ***
    The offer price per share would be a lot lower if the stock is trading at $7, than it would be if the stock was trading at $21.
    Once again no, it doesn't work that way. That number is based on what different analysts say. The stock is owned by shareholders, those shareholders vote on any takeover bids. Also, RIM is worth (patents mainly) much more than what the stock is trading at, stockholders know that, and so do potential bidders. Go do some research on how takeover bids work, then come on back and tell me what you think.
    S5
    Z10
    64gb PlayBook
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by jakie55 View Post
    I left BlackBerry because my 8520 would not do what I needed it to do. I went to android, because I would not buy an Apple product because of SJ. I came back to BlackBerry because I missed the BlackBerry email features, and picked up an OS7 device. I do not think I am that unique, and others will at least look at the new BB 10 devices because they miss parts of the BlackBerry experience. That is all one can ask for. The ball is in RIM's court to score the points. If they pull another Storm fiasco ( and it looks HIGHLY UNLIKELY) then stick a fork in them.
    I completely agree. I left BB two years ago for an IPhone 4 then 4S, while I do miss key features of the Blackberry, I now can't imagine being without my IPhone - which is how I used to be towards my Blackberry. However I recently ordered a Blackberry Playbook and I've been reading more into BB10, and although I'll be staying with my IPhone I do believe that others who defected will check out BB10 and that gives them a fighting chance!
    Thanked by:
    jakie55 (12-29-2012) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    3,548 Global Posts

Can't really argue with any of those predictions, because most of them are lined with "If","or", and "but". Although points for owning up to a couple of wrong predictions. Most of these predictions- be it mobile, sports, politics, or whatever- never are held accountable 12 months later.

I love BB10's prospects for a huge send off. I own a WP 7, and love me some WP8. But I will not be sold on anything until I see BB10 in action. I get the image of a large group of BB users just sitting at the starting line, waiting for the gun to go off so they can start the race into the next century of Smart phone use. I can easily see RIM holding 3rd place over WP next year, regardless of what little old me decides. I respect RIM as a serious hardware provider, and if the software and app support are as good as promised at launch, then all will be good in the land of BlackBerry and Honey.

I do worry for the next couple of years though, as I wonder out loud if RIM can survive trying to keep up with the other OS's as they need to pay for the R&D and maintenence of both the software and the hardware themself. Android and WP are a shared community, and that cuts the money obligations in half. Even Apple has shown cracks in the foundation, becoming quite sluggish in both hardware and software inovation. If not for the huge infrastructure Apple has built, there may have been a ton more leaving the platform. But the Apple ecosystem keeps them hooked.

However, one problem at a time. Get BB10 into the hands of your users, and support the lift off. Then we will see what the future holds. Hopefully, it will be a strong and still independent RIM.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by tiziano27 View Post
    Most BlackBerry subscribers are from emerging markets using "affordable BlackBerry 7 devices", not the target for the pricy z10.
    the pricey z10 will have a more affordable partner within two months after release......ie Curve line
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AE49F77

If we look at worldwide market share history, in 2007, RIM had 11.4% to Apple's 6.5% of smart phone sales, and Android was not even differentiated. By Q1 2012, RIM slipped to 6.5% world wide, and Apple grew to 23%. Android now was at the 59% figure, with Samsung accounting for half those numbers. It appears to me that Apple and Samsung (and other android manufacturers) did a much better job of capturing the first time smart phone purchasers. What is required, for RIM to stay in business, and grow, is for them to be seen as not your father's or CEO's BlackBerry. They need to get the new smartphone purchaser to see the full touch phone as a device that will do what they want it to do....no fuss....no muss. Of course, us diehard Crackberry addicts will give a good push at launch, but after that....what will the newbee think?
    Q 10 and Z30 for the win!
    now on leak 10.3.0.1418 via Sachesi
    pebble watch
    Playbook 64 gb wifi retired
    Galaxy tab4 5.0 given to me free
    Thanked by:
    qbnkelt (12-29-2012) 
    randall2580 and qbnkelt like this.
  6. aha
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Caymancroc View Post
    Last year, I called for RIM to get taken out, and I won't be burned by that prediction again. RIM does survive, but it either a drastically reduced or transformed way..
    Smilence
    CrackBerry Addict

Default CNET article on Mobile Predictions of 2013

I found the article interesting. Especially the discussion of spectrum and the possibility of partnership between Dish Network and Google. I also read the posts about Net Flix and how some seem to feel a partnership between RIM and Net Flix is essential. The thing is, Net Flix is just a store front/partner for Amazon.

Apple wasn't working on a phone but an Ipod touch when they came up with the idea that the device would work pretty well as a phone with only a few modifications. It was a MP3/game (app) device that was retro-fitted to be a phone.

RIM and Blackberry are working on the future of mobile computing. Many have stated that the reliance on HTML5 scores is misplaced. But it is the future.

Perhaps RIM should pursue some spectrum as a hedge against being shut out in the future. They have already begun strong overtures to the developer community and developed a device that they feel is well poised for the near future demands of the industry.

I do feel that current carriers do not want a duopoly of Apple and Android devices. Divide and conquer.

Also, some of the posts questioning whether BB10 will "kill" WP8 are somewhat silly. Microsoft is far too formidable to discount that much. Although I personally don't think that their devices have that much appeal, there are many who apparently like them. Even with spokesmen who show how you can make a mini film starring both your big toes.

I find it more compelling how the geo-political landscape is rapidly changing in countries where BlackBerry is a big player. The role of Twitter in getting out information about the Egyptian revolution and the "Arab Spring."

Perhaps RIM can capitalise on these things to change consumer perception.

Just some thoughts.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,589 Global Posts

Default Re: CNET article on Mobile Predictions of 2013

Quote Originally Posted by AppleDude View Post
    I completely agree. I left BB two years ago for an IPhone 4 then 4S, while I do miss key features of the Blackberry, I now can't imagine being without my IPhone - which is how I used to be towards my Blackberry. However I recently ordered a Blackberry Playbook and I've been reading more into BB10, and although I'll be staying with my IPhone I do believe that others who defected will check out BB10 and that gives them a fighting chance!
    This is why I think many people who left BB will come back, or at least give BB10 a chance. Many people still miss some aspects of the BB experience, and mainly left for apps and all touch large screen experiences, and post they miss it here. If RIM can provide this, plus the key aspects of the BlackBerry experience that people may miss, and new features that differentiate them, they have a chance at getting a lot of people back. Look at how many people on the forum carry a BlackBerry and another phone because the other phone can't meet all the needs or completely replace a BlackbBerry. I think BlackBerry stands a better chance of being able to replace the others with a single device (Android more than Apple because Androids "ecosystem" is mainlyjust apps, many of which are free). Also I've seen some posts that people aren't thrilled with the iPhone because almost everyone has them (shallow but I've read it). RIM has a great opportunity with BB10, its up to them to take advantage and execute.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    CHED NERVE

Quote Originally Posted by jesseh View Post
    Once again no, it doesn't work that way. That number is based on what different analysts say. The stock is owned by shareholders, those shareholders vote on any takeover bids. Also, RIM is worth (patents mainly) much more than what the stock is trading at, stockholders know that, and so do potential bidders. Go do some research on how takeover bids work, then come on back and tell me what you think.
    I'd tell you what I think. I think you're too arrogant to read what I'm posting.
    Do you think shareholders are more likely to vote for at takeover bid at $30 if the stock is trading at $7 or $70?

Starting to sink in now?

Bottom line... it's going to cost someone a lot more money to buy RIM now than it would have 6 months ago.
    RIM is dead. Long live BlackBerry!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12