- CrackBerry User
- 78 Posts
Chrysler Cars to run BB apps
Just read this at lunch and thought I would share :
News: UConnect to run Blackberry apps?
- 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM #3
Thor's not playing around M2M is such a bigger eco system than the current ones only a matter of Motion for things to change.
RIMS playing advance chess out here.Thors not playing around silently ruthless.
- CrackBerry Genius
12-12-2012, 12:02 PM #6
- 1,970 Posts
- Please feel free to ask :)
Things are shaping up very nicely. You can tell that they don't have a plan B cause they're going all out with BB10 lol.QNX and LTE, hand me a pen and let's do this.
**Taken from The Engine**
Yes I am black...and yes I LOVE grape Kool Aid. I can't blame u for judging me
- 12-12-2012, 12:02 PM #7
QNX runs in most vehicles on the car today, something like 60-80% of the vehicles on the road with in dash systems (or onStar) run QNX. Think of the potential there . RIM also released an HTML5/Webworks SDK for vehicles. Truly cross platform.
- CrackBerry Master
12-12-2012, 01:06 PM #9
- 1,247 Posts
- 12-12-2012, 01:08 PM #10
discussion about RIM stock
Finally, QNX is on hundreds of embedded devices, in cars and all sorts of things. If RIM works the connection with embedded devices and the BB10 devices (I won't call it a phone), then they open up a world of possibilities that less flexible OSs can only dream of....well, they can't dream of that world, because they can't multi-task.
- 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM #11
héhé, I'm a QNX user for years in my 300C CRD Touring ... Great news for next models (I strongly doubt I can upgrade my current Uconnect/MyGig).
Dammit ! I'll have to buy a new car to be fully BB10 powered ... hate you OP
- CrackBerry Abuser
12-12-2012, 02:23 PM #14
- 182 Posts
- To the PIN & GRIN!
2 of the best things out there BlackBerry and Dodge.... what a team! Seriously, my U connect in "Da Truck" seems wicked old and I can barely hear anything. Everyone finds it annoying to talk to me over it. New stuff.... Giggity!!!
....sniff, sniff.... I smell a new truck in the works!
- CrackBerry Abuser
12-12-2012, 05:12 PM #18
- 381 Posts
I think RIM's greatest chance for success will be deployments unrelated to phones. They should be making ruggedized PB's useful for dispatch. Heck, they need to look to partner to make real solutions. Any tablet brand can do all kinds of things, but they don't make sense for finished solutions especially for niche markets.
Why does RIM want to sell consumer tablets when they should be selling stripped down OEM packages that can take a variety of display formats.
If I want a computer and screen embedded in some niche product, I should be able to buy one from RIM for a known price and then I can hire a dev to build an app for it and then I'm done. I don't need to hire a hardware guy. Nothing. Let the market do its thing... Don't stop with dashboards.
- 12-13-2012, 02:30 AM #22
- CrackBerry Genius
12-13-2012, 05:11 AM #23
- 2,214 Posts
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I am not clear as to how this helps all that much for the average consumer. Just about every new car has bluetooth that works with every smartphone and also has on on board "computer" that does all sorts of stuff w/o any device. What additional functionality would be (or potentially could be) gained by using an exclusive/native QNX/BB 10 set up? Seems to me it is good for RIM to continue to own and develop QNX but I am just wondering what's in it for me!!?
- 12-13-2012, 07:52 AM #24
You are at home, your buddy calls you about a new band playing at a new club he is at and he wants you to come meet him, so you look it up on your phone and go jump in your car.
- When you get in your car, you place your phone on the NFC control pad and your car starts up and welcomes you
- The car adjusts the temperature controls and radio volume to your liking (since your significant other/spouse drove last) and maybe even your seat location, because you've got that kind of coin
- The map location on your phone is transferred to your navigation screen
- The song look up for the band pulls up the YouTube channel of the band and plays the latest upload (which switches to audio only, once you are in drive)
- A text goes out to your friend that you are leaving your house
- While you are driving, your car lets you know it is time to change the oil and schedules a reminder into your phone
- As you head to the location, you see a restaurant that you want try out, so you send a voice message about it to your significant other/spouse
- When you arrive, another text is sent to your friend that you are parking
- As you walk towards the club, you notice it is a very shady place and you check your phone to make sure you have locked your car and disabled the battery to prevent it from being stolen
Of course, you'll need to upgrade both your phone and your car. But, that's called brand loyalty.
- By TitaniumMan in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 22Last Post: 07-18-2010, 05:01 PM
- By uniqueandbtfl in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 24Last Post: 06-29-2009, 10:50 PM
- By rj5570 in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 10Last Post: 06-19-2009, 11:13 AM
- By carlsbl in forum BlackBerry Curve 8900Replies: 3Last Post: 05-30-2009, 03:58 PM
- By naga in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 7Last Post: 01-09-2009, 03:24 AM