Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree239Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,166 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default CBC: 3 senior BlackBerry executives leaving company

Doug Kozak, vice-president, corporate information technology operations.
    Carmine Arabia, senior vice-president, global manufacturing and supply chain.
    Graeme Whittington, vice-president, service operations.
    3 senior BlackBerry executives leaving company - Kitchener-Waterloo - CBC News

In an email to CBC News, company spokeswoman Rebecca Freiburger wrote: "We are in the second phase of our transformation plan where we will be assessing our organization from top to bottom to ensure we have the right people in the right roles with the right skill sets to drive new opportunities in mobile computing."

In late July, David J. Smith, executive vice president of mobile computing, had resigned "for personal reasons."
    My immediate question when I read that was: what are these necessary skill sets needed to drive new opportunities in mobile computing? Did these execs not have those skill sets? How can you even tell, when mobile computing is so ill-defined that no two people can agree on what it is?

Look, I understand every company PR needs to put some kind of positive spin but this one about "ensuring we have the right people in the right roles with the right skill sets to drive new opportunities in mobile computing" is just too transparent an effort.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

Either their lock ups expired and they had no reason to stay, or more rats deserting a sinking ship. It can be spun so many ways.

Unfortunately the name "Frank Boulben" was missing from the list. So the Marketing Band still plays on the HMS TitanicBerry
    Thanked by 7:
    boi2012 (08-07-2013),  Pete The Penguin (08-07-2013),  grumpyaeroguy (08-07-2013),  h20work (08-07-2013),  meltbox360 (08-07-2013),  qwerty4ever (08-07-2013),  Speedygi (08-08-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

It is also possible that they were shown the door due to poor performance. We don't know

Posted via CB10
    FSeverino and @craig like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Heins is running a tight ship. Let's hope it pans out

Posted via CB10
    RoboticGolem and BB10QNX like this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njblackberry View Post
    Either their lock ups expired and they had no reason to stay, or more rats deserting a sinking ship. It can be spun so many ways.

Unfortunately the name "Frank Boulben" was missing from the list. So the Marketing Band still plays on the HMS TitanicBerry

At any rate, I have no idea who they are or how they performed. Therefore I have no idea whether this is good, bad or irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    mnhockeycoach99 (08-07-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

They acquired 7 companies in the last 3 years and a lot of new staff came with them. They have some excess. While you can twist this negatively, I see lots of jobs in the ottawa area. Qnx careers posters on busses, many postings for radio engineers and developers.

BlackBerry had to let go hundreds of java developers and testers as they move away from bbOS.

Thorsten is making a leaner meaner fighting machine.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by 2:
    bbfan1040 (08-07-2013),  elcaradepoker (08-07-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Hmm dont know whats going on up there.But have we ever got updates and leaks without something bad happening couple days later.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,325 Global Posts

It is clear that BB is in its last days... if those days are 10 or 56000 is a different story.
    But the internet has spoken, so it must be true.
    ------------------------>LIST OF WORKING Android Apps for Z10/BB10 ---200 SO FAR!!! <------------------------
    meltbox360 and NiqDy like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts

"We are in the second phase of our transformation plan where we will be assessing our organization from top to bottom to ensure we have the right people in the right roles with the right skill sets to drive new opportunities in mobile computing."
    This "ensuring we have the right people" has been going on for a while now - but really nothing has changed with the company. They've released BB10 and a few devices, but nothing much has come of it. Sales have been poor and I'm not seeing anything tangible with their vision - nevermind what exactly their vision is other than touting the very generic and broad phrase "mobile computing" around. So basically all they've done is release "me too" phones.

Let's not kid ourselves - this has nothing to do with having the right people. It's strictly a way to cut costs because they're having troubles bringing up profits.
    Thanked by 2:
    bbfan1040 (08-07-2013),  theRock1975 (08-07-2013) 
    notfanboy, flyingsolid and bekkay like this.
    CrackBerry Master

How long did they hold there positions? Did they bury there heads in sand during the pre-bb10 days? Walk around telling everyone things are great? Better, who are there successors? Are they more suited to today's aggressive environment? OR better are all these positions moving and these guys just dont want to move. Some times the simplest reasons work best.

This isn't a negative nor a positive with out some understand beyond them getting hit on the a$$ with the door.

Anything beyond that is opinion...
    'The frontier between hell and heaven is only the difference between two ways of looking at things.' - George Bernard Shaw
    Thanked by:
    elcaradepoker (08-07-2013) 
    brian4591 and bekkay like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,848 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by notfanboy View Post
    3 senior BlackBerry executives leaving company - Kitchener-Waterloo - CBC News

My immediate question when I read that was: what are these necessary skill sets needed to drive new opportunities in mobile computing? Did these execs not have those skill sets? How can you even tell, when mobile computing is so ill-defined that no two people can agree on what it is?

Look, I understand every company PR needs to put some kind of positive spin but this one about "ensuring we have the right people in the right roles with the right skill sets to drive new opportunities in mobile computing" is just too transparent an effort.
    BB grew up quickly. You promote internally and when you start implementing accountabilities, you realise that some people are not right for the job. Hopefully those people won't be narrow minded and won't look for similar positions else where, but will go back to doing what they're good at.
    Full specs of all current and near future BlackBerry devices: Thread and Channel C001231E5
    Help me get a red BlackBerry Passport for cheap for the holidays!
    Thanked by:
    theRock1975 (08-07-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Blackberry just needs a more efficient way of integrating android apps.

People should be able to run them directly after downloading them.

That's the only change they need at the moment.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    Thanked by:
    elcaradepoker (08-07-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Acquisition

Posted via CB10
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    79D94983

No thoughts on the other 2, but a senior VP is usually a pretty important person in a company. That he ran global manufacturing and supply chain is a bit strange. Of the places where one could believe BBRY has issues, it wouldn't be there.
    MPF94025 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    BBM is useless to me. Now I can't delete it!

Quote Originally Posted by theRock1975 View Post
    NJ how long will you be playing this sinking ship card? 2 more years, 3 more years? I bet in 5 years they will still be all assets and no debt and acquire 5 more companies and you bashers will be spewing more nonsense.

They acquired 7 companies in the last 3 years and a lot of new staff came with them. They have some excess. While you can twist this negatively, I see lots of jobs in the ottawa area. Qnx careers posters on busses, many postings for radio engineers and developers.

BlackBerry had to let go hundreds of java developers and testers as they move away from bbOS.

Thorsten is making a leaner meaner fighting machine.

Posted via CB10
    They have done all that and market share is at an all time low and they are loosing money.

Can't argue with that.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    Verizon Z10 STL100-4 OS: v10.3.1.1151
    Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526 and not used!
    BlackBerry continues to act anti-American! Another no U.S. launch for the largest dollar making country (BBs own numbers) for them on the planet!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I've seen this play out before with a global giant in the healthcare industry. I watched as new IT management took over and chopped the heads (IT Execs to lower IT management) in one fell swoop! The invited all of IT to a Mexican themed luncheon where hundreds of us gathered for great food...and a Mariachi band! I'll never forget it! I'll never look at Mariachi bands the same.

When the lunch ended, we walked back to our respective buildings and when we reached the IT building, security guards and campus police where checking badges against a clipboard with ID photos. If you were on the list, you were not allowed back into the building. They had fired management!

A tussle ensued as one manager was adamant about getting his belongings, especially his car keys. Two days later, amidst controversy, a whole new management team was ushered in. 15 members who all introduced themselves and their new roles. It was the dawning of a new day.

Point. Later that month, I spoke with the newly appointed CIO (who came in under the guise as a consultant 60 days prior. Please see the movie Office Space). He frankly told me that the "old" culture was still present when he consulted after firing the CIO and to "right" the ship, he had to perform a "tranfusion" of the old culture.

Many BB execs may still believe in RIM and it's prior philosphy under Lazaridis and Balsillie. Sometimes drastic cuts like this are necessary to getting everyone on the same page going forward.

Go BB!
    Thanked by 4:
    BallRockReaper (08-07-2013),  Geeoff (08-07-2013),  mathking606 (08-07-2013),  UnlimitedEra (08-08-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

No mistake, those who today leave are the same as were "sinking" to the company and did nothing. And an old system that defended loudly pedia updated. from now on we need good news please.
    Thanked by:
    earlym (08-07-2013) 
    earlym likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

Shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    71,224 Global Posts

Either they are seeing a sinking ship and jumping off or they were part of bbry's problems. Shouldn't take long to find out.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts

Unfortunately all management needs to go and they need to bring someone in with a vision of what BBRY needs to be. Since that won't happen anytime soon, we can all watch the sinking ship.

It is really sad. You have to laugh at this company and how pathetic they are. How could you screw it up? A previous market leader, billions in cash, clear channels to market with hardware capabilities already established. It was like it was purposeful. Almost like someone from a governmental position was placed in charge to waste opportunity and cash with nothing to show for it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

Any way you spin it, this is just not good news. Hearing that their executives are getting great bonuses because the company is flourishing would be better news IMHO.
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    12,762 Global Posts

Shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    Come on nj, I know some of your long history. There's no way you can sit there and say the company wasn't at least somewhat bloated. You know for a fact there was plenty of people sitting around on their hands doing nothing for years but collecting money they didn't deserve.

That's not rose colored glasses, that's known reality. Some are leaving the sinking ship as you say but a good many, are being shown the exit... finally after years of bleeding a company and offering nothing in return. Stop antagonizing people. :P
    Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard. - The Doctor

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Connectedly]
    Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    blackmoe (08-07-2013),  bquinney (08-07-2013),  David in Durham (08-07-2013),  Geeoff (08-07-2013),  GTiLeo (08-07-2013),  mathking606 (08-07-2013),  Pdinos3 (08-07-2013),  RoboticGolem (08-07-2013),  sergey_IL (08-07-2013),  theRock1975 (08-07-2013),  tjseaman (08-07-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonPBaby View Post
    Acquisition

Posted via CB10
    Yep. That will be the end game.
    Harvey R. Specter
    Pearson-Specter
    New York, NY

I win. It's what I do.
    kevinnugent and bbfan1040 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Would you rather hear the executives are getting bonuses without performance improvements?
    Ask yourself why the VPs are leaving? Why not the Ps?

VPs look for upward mobility in a company. If you don't see an opportunity to get promoted, you leave. BB is in a long term plan for FUTURE growth. There's no opportunity for a VP to move up quickly now. Anyone who has become a VP, wants more. The hammer has come down, and execs have to EARN their bonuses.... If I had to guess, the people leaving are lazy, and want to get bonuses without having to earn them.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftam68 View Post
    Any way you spin it, this is just not good news. Hearing that their executives are getting great bonuses because the company is flourishing would be better news IMHO.
  25. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    Yep. That will be the end game.
    I have moved away from that - I think the end game now is a much smaller services/software only company - they might not make it but I am convinced it is the game.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast