Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree49Likes
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,397 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Concession View Post
    With BB10 you'd have to go full ****** to fall for this.

1. Dload .bar on phone.
    2. Transfer .bar to computer.
    3. Sideload .bar
    I am asking because I don't know the answer and your reply makes me curious. Lets say for the sake of argument FlipBoard doesn't get released for BB10 and I want to load the converted Android .apk. I know I can do this but have never done this (not true I have but I am asking for sake of knowing) so I go to the sideload sticky and see what you have to do. I go download the program to load the .bar from my PC to my L series and I Google "Flipboard for BlackBerry 10" and I see "Bob's .bar - a place for converted BlackBery apps". Is there no way a devious individual could sneak into the convert a bot like the above? There is no way to get it disguised as something it isn't?

I understand form Sith that it's not possible on a BES phone with a good BES Admin, but what about me Joe consumer on BIS?

I ask so I know if its something i need to worry about in the future. I have sideloaded Flash for example on my Android phone but I got the old release off the Adobe page. I sideloaded Amazon market from amazon directly. I would never go to "Get Apps" or something crazy like that because I understand the risk.
    Last edited by randall2580; 12-06-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: amazon market instead of Android Market

Quote Originally Posted by randall2580 View Post
    I am asking because I don't know the answer and your reply makes me curious. Lets say for the sake of argument FlipBoard doesn't get released for BB10 and I want to load the converted Android .apk. I know I can do this but have never done this (not true I have but I am asking for sake of knowing) so I go to the sideload sticky and see what you have to do. I go download the program to load the .bar from my PC to my L series and I Google "Flipboard for BlackBerry 10" and I see "Bob's .bar - a place for converted BlackBery apps". Is there no way a devious individual could sneak into the convert a bot like the above? There is no way to get it disguised as something it isn't?

I understand form Sith that it's not possible on a BES phone with a good BES Admin, but what about me Joe consumer on BIS?

I ask so I know if its something i need to worry about in the future. I have sideloaded Flash for example on my Android phone but I got the old release off the Adobe page. I sideloaded Android Market from Andoid directly. I would never go to "Get Apps" or something crazy like that because I understand the risk.
    i would say nothing would stop this from happening. The playbook wont stop this now either. Again the average customer probably doesnt sideload though so this is not a issue for them.
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    Thanked by:
    randall2580 (12-06-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    Its the equivalent of locking your front door but leaving the window next to it wide open.
    Not quite. That's just common sense. Smartphones are a whole other bag of lemons for some people. Just because someone happened to have bought a smartphone last week and clicked on a link they thought was from their bank so they could install another one of those "app" things that make their phone so much better than the regular phone they had before, that doesn't mean they deserve to have thousands of dollars stolen from them.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Welcome to Android, folks. Enjoy your sideloaded adventures.

It was and continues to be a bad idea, RIM.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

The problem with sideloading is that RIM cannot legally participate in sideloading apps without the author's consent. As a consequence RIM gives you the keys to the roadster and then when you spin out on the highway, people scream blame you.

If this becomes an endemic feature of your brand, close up shop because you won't have paying customers.
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    19,552 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

That is why we BES Admins love our control. I can stupid proof your phone applications (liquid damage and physical damage still occur though)
    ***slight detour****

Sith!!!!!! I FINALLY got my work issued 9930. My 9650 proved indestructible....no spilled water, no spilled coffee, no two story drop accidentallyonpurpose on the cement stairwell was enough to kill that tank...only got my 9930 after my normal upgrade cycle

****end of slight detour*****
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    ***slight detour****

Sith!!!!!! I FINALLY got my work issued 9930. My 9650 proved indestructible....no spilled water, no spilled coffee, no two story drop accidentallyonpurpose on the cement stairwell was enough to kill that tank...only got my 9930 after my normal upgrade cycle

****end of slight detour*****
    LOL I could have just given it to one of my users, they break these things regularly (had to replace 8 in a week for broken screens . The 9930 is a great device, I enjoy using it, though personally I use the Dev devices as my regular devices (call forwarding ftw and android E-mail right now).

But as to the points above, Android apps run in their own sandbox, so it should not compromise your entire system. Granted, if you give the app permissions to access, its not really a compromise so much as giving the information away.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,283 Global Posts

LOL I could have just given it to one of my users, they break these things regularly (had to replace 8 in a week for broken screens . The 9930 is a great device, I enjoy using it, though personally I use the Dev devices as my regular devices (call forwarding ftw and android E-mail right now).

But as to the points above, Android apps run in their own sandbox, so it should not compromise your entire system. Granted, if you give the app permissions to access, its not really a compromise so much as giving the information away.
    whats the call clarity like with the dev alphas as well as the battery life during talk time
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by GTiLeo View Post
    whats the call clarity like with the dev alphas as well as the battery life during talk time
    The call can only be completed over Bluetooth as there is no phone application available on the devices. It sounded as clear or clearer than my 99xx series devices. I have not tested (because of the required use of BT) the battery life, but there is zero optimization done on these devices, so it would not really be worth comparing to the BB10 devices at launch.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,283 Global Posts

no doubt i'm just curious, isn't the battery life on the dev devices like 3 hours at best during programming, i would be curious to see how it would fair sending out a bluetooth signal and speaker/mic use as well as runnign background applications

sorry off topic, if you feel liek explaining you can shoot me a PM
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by GTiLeo View Post
    no doubt i'm just curious, isn't the battery life on the dev devices like 3 hours at best during programming, i would be curious to see how it would fair sending out a bluetooth signal and speaker/mic use as well as runnign background applications

sorry off topic, if you feel liek explaining you can shoot me a PM
    Hey i go off topic all the time haha. I use mine most of the day with BBM, Email, and browsing etc on it. So i have my wireless network signal turned ON and get about halfway to 2/3 of the work day. I also play a couple games on my way to and from work (hour to 90 minute commute each way). I do end up charging it about 1pm (comes off the charger at 5:30am). So for zero optimization its not *too* bad, but definitely needs to be improved.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Lion View Post
    Welcome to Android, folks. Enjoy your sideloaded adventures.

It was and continues to be a bad idea, RIM.
    With only a couple million users, and a device that is very limited in what it does... not big reason for anyone to really target the PlayBook OS. But IF RIM is successful with BB10, and you have tens of millions of users that might be using their devices for mobile & NFC payment, then you could see a rise in the number of malicious .bar files being posted and distributed. Not a very secure or safe feature...

That said without sideloading of Andorid apps, not sure what we would have used the PlayBook for.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by scalemaster34 View Post
    With only a couple million users, and a device that is very limited in what it does... not big reason for anyone to really target the PlayBook OS. But IF RIM is successful with BB10, and you have tens of millions of users that might be using their devices for mobile & NFC payment, then you could see a rise in the number of malicious .bar files being posted and distributed. Not a very secure or safe feature...

That said without sideloading of Andorid apps, not sure what we would have used the PlayBook for.
    Again malicious bar files can easily be mitigated. To sideload you have to purposely go into your device, enable dev mode, put a password, side load, grant permissions, and run the app. This is not something the average users would ever do. The main purpose of the android apk to bar files would be to distribute through app world, where they are tested (or at least in a controlled environment)
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    People like this are the reason I have to wipe my father-in-law's hard drive every couple months.

He's one of those folks who clicks "ok" on anything that pops up on his screen.
    Maybe you should research LiveCD technology and move your father-in-law to one of the user-friendly GNU/Linux LiveCD distributions. Download a LiveCD. Create a bootable CD/DVD disk using the LiveCD as the image. Place the LiveCD in CD/DVD drive and boot the computer. As more people adopt web-based email and similar services this approach will greatly reduce the stress experienced by novice and non-technical computer users.
    CrackBerry Addict

Originally Posted by Concession

With BB10 you'd have to go full ****** to fall for this.

1. Dload .bar on phone.
    2. Transfer .bar to computer.
    3. Sideload .bar

Is this your first visit to our planet? Welcome. Please note we have a custom where we do not make fun of handicapped people, however. Only this morning it was in the news telling how little kids are teaching each other not to use the "R" word ...
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,397 Global Posts

Again malicious bar files can easily be mitigated. To sideload you have to purposely go into your device, enable dev mode, put a password, side load, grant permissions, and run the app. This is not something the average users would ever do. The main purpose of the android apk to bar files would be to distribute through app world, where they are tested (or at least in a controlled environment)
    The problem has been (till now with PlayBook) that if you want many of the popular apps like Kindle, FlipBoard (those are 2 that come to my mind there are many others) you cannot get them except to side load and in effect then the PlayBook is no more secure than the Android devices in practice if a .bar can be corrupted. As you correctly say RIM can help by making sure all of these apps are available at least in converted form through BlackBerry world.

Just another question that comes to my mind. In order to get FIPS BlackBerry locks a bootloader or equivalent and side loading is impossible on those devices?
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by randall2580 View Post
    The problem has been (till now with PlayBook) that if you want many of the popular apps like Kindle, FlipBoard (those are 2 that come to my mind there are many others) you cannot get them except to side load and in effect then the PlayBook is no more secure than the Android devices in practice if a .bar can be corrupted. As you correctly say RIM can help by making sure all of these apps are available at least in converted form through BlackBerry world.

Just another question that comes to my mind. In order to get FIPS BlackBerry locks a bootloader or equivalent and side loading is impossible on those devices?
    FIPS is for the crypto core, and side loading (well loading alx with cod or jad/jar files) is very possible on legacy java devices. RIM has ways to make this impossible if you are a BES admin, and you can secure entire fleets of devices with the click of a button (so to speak)
    Thanked by:
    randall2580 (12-10-2012) 
    Superfly_FR likes this.

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Yikes. At least I don't follow those links... But I would report them to the domain holder and then cause chaos for the thieves.
    Flamers, don't even try, I have my waterhose ready
    GNU/Linux distros of choice: Ubuntu, Mint (or anything based on debian that's still geared towards beginners and isn't too bloated).

My Tweets, Wordpress Blog, My Statuses, My Formspring.me & Videos (Viddler), (Dailymotion), (YouTube Partner channel)
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dentynefire View Post
    All I was saying was that the people that clicked on the link essentially should have never been able to install malware. The malware took advantage of the users naivety or stupidity.
    To amuse these naive and/or stupid users someone should release an application via SMS and all it does it repeatedly playback the voiced of Nelson (from the Simpsons) when he does his "Ha! Ha!" laugh.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by scalemaster34 View Post

That's an easy thing to say if you're not one of those alleged two million, and no reason to take it any less seriously. In any event identity/financial info theft is not simply a short term game nor is it simply limited to the individual(s) directly affected.

Global Posts
    8,079 Global Posts

It's these reasons we don't think the BYOD craze, corporate speaking, will last too much longer. People just don't always pay attention to what they're clicking on no matter what they're on.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Default Re: Botnet steals $47M from 30K European bank accounts by

The transition from BYOD will be much more difficult than the transition to BYOD. It isn't getting anywhere anytime soon.
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Default Re: Botnet steals $47M from 30K European bank accounts by

Using the new CB android app for bb10/pb made me shorten the title?
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12