Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Botnet steals $47M from 30K European bank accounts by infecting PCs, Android and BlackBerry devices

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/1...berry-devices/

Kinda makes you wonder if mobile payments are a good thing. Also, anyone have any idea why iPhones were not infected?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,771 Global Posts

So basically they pushed out bogus .APKs and .JADs (the PDF shows this.) What i diot gets an unsolicited message asking him to install an app, goes "durrr ok!" and installs it on the same phone he uses for mobile BANKING?
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Passport, Classic
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,953 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spice26 View Post
    Botnet Steals $47M from 30K European Bank Accounts

Kinda makes you wonder if mobile payments are a good thing. Also, anyone have any idea why iPhones were not infected?
    Because of the App store walled garden. Non-jailbroken devices can't install random ipa files.
    Thanked by:
    KarlosSpicyWienr (12-06-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

Default You had to be complicit to allow it to happen.

Couldn't do it without your help.

Botnet steals M from 30K European bank accounts by infecting PCs, Android and BlackBerry devices-clicklink.jpg
    Last edited by W Hoa; 12-05-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Again this proves no device is safe when it comes to an incompetent user.
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    Thanked by 3:
    avt123 (12-06-2012),  metz9444 (12-13-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,166 Global Posts

Hopefully these idiots get cleaned out. This is just natural selection at work. Survival of the fittest.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,115 Global Posts

Serves them right. Only idiots will install an application that don't even know what it is and it is sent by a random SMS.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yeah, seniors with mobile phones are the problem... Are we going to blame rape victims here too now?
    Thanked by 2:
    metz9444 (12-13-2012),  Techno-Emigre (12-07-2012) 
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    Again this proves no device is safe when it comes to an incompetent user.
    That is why we BES Admins love our control. I can stupid proof your phone applications (liquid damage and physical damage still occur though)
    Thanked by 2:
    qbnkelt (12-07-2012) 
    Stewartj1 and qbnkelt like this.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    Because of the App store walled garden. Non-jailbroken devices can't install random ipa files.
    This is not entirely correct. There is an app that will take files and sign/install them on a device with a dev certificate. It can take even legitimate files and do this. They are working on remote execution of this, and the app can easily be installed on a device that is not jailbroken. Only stumbling block at this point is that the app requires the equivalent of a dev token on the device to be initially installed. The walled garden is very good in most cases, but even that has its flaws.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by bk1022 View Post
    Yeah, seniors with mobile phones are the problem... Are we going to blame rape victims here too now?
    People that do stupid things on their phone are the problem, regardless of age, race, gender, creed, etc etc etc. Its the equivalent of locking your front door but leaving the window next to it wide open.
    Thanked by 3:
    amazinglygraceless (12-06-2012),  howarmat (12-06-2012),  OniBerry (12-06-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,415 Global Posts

Security...do you want security or usability you can't have both. I wonder if there will be a BB Balance type partitioned wallet for BB10?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,953 Global Posts

Default Botnet steals $47M from 30K European bank accounts by infecting PCs, Android and BlackBerry devices

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    This is not entirely correct. There is an app that will take files and sign/install them on a device with a dev certificate. It can take even legitimate files and do this. They are working on remote execution of this, and the app can easily be installed on a device that is not jailbroken. Only stumbling block at this point is that the app requires the equivalent of a dev token on the device to be initially installed. The walled garden is very good in most cases, but even that has its flaws.
    You're right, there are alway possible exploits. Just like jailbreak me on older ios versions. But right now there's no exploit available, and the walled garden is an extra layer of "stupid proofing" (for lack of a better term.

But I will agree, as long as there's the desire to install packages from outside the App Store, there will be people trying to get around it.
    Go get some apps!
    DocuShortcut - Free homescreen shortcuts(Built For BlackBerry)
    Symptom Journal - Track medical symptoms and causes (Built For BlackBerry)
    SkinEd for Minecraft - Create and share Minecraft skins
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    You're right, there are alway possible exploits. Just like jailbreak me on older ios versions. But right now there's no exploit available, and the walled garden is an extra layer of "stupid proofing" (for lack of a better term.

But I will agree, as long as there's the desire to install packages from outside the App Store, there will be people trying to get around it.

See my earlier post, I am all about stupid proofing lol
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by dentynefire View Post
    Security...do you want security or usability you can't have both. I wonder if there will be a BB Balance type partitioned wallet for BB10?
    Why would BB Wallet be partitioned? I would say that should be exclusively a personal function and never touch the work space.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

As a default on Android, you can't install .apk's from "unknown sources" unless you manually decide to. So for the average user, this would not have been possible, because they would have gotten an error. However, if you're someone who has played around with the phone and rooted, rom'd etc, then chances are this would security feature would already have been disabled, which could/would leave you open to such an app.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,415 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    Why would BB Wallet be partitioned? I would say that should be exclusively a personal function and never touch the work space.
    What I mean is separated. I don't see why a Wallet couldn't be partitioned in the same way as Balance. I don't mean included with Balance but at the OS level it would be the same. Banking apps would appear only if you had the Wallet similar to enterprise apps only showing once Balance is used. That way no data from personal or work could transfer to the Wallet without a password prompt. Anyway after giving it way too much thought I maybe the app sand box is good enough?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463

Quote Originally Posted by dentynefire View Post
    I believe you can have both Security and usability. You just have to be smart about it.
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
    bk1022 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

With BB10 you'd have to go full ****** to fall for this.

1. Dload .bar on phone.
    2. Transfer .bar to computer.
    3. Sideload .bar
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by Oniberry View Post
    I believe you can have both Security and usability. You just have to be smart about it.
    Security by definition will slow things down, the more you have the slower it gets. Think about full device encryption, fingerprint/retina scanning, more than 2 factor authentication etc etc etc. All of it slows down the end user experience. There is a balance though, and that is what we should go after.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by Concession View Post
    With BB10 you'd have to go full ****** to fall for this.

1. Dload .bar on phone.
    2. Transfer .bar to computer.
    3. Sideload .bar
    Application must be signed as well or you have to use a debug token lol
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Oniberry View Post
    Agreed! Some people (not limited to people in this thread) blow me away. They are advocating reverting to a wild-west financial system where anything goes and the law isn't worth the paper it's written on. Mobile payments will be still-born if this isn't fixed.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,415 Global Posts

All I was saying was that the people that clicked on the link essentially should have never been able to install malware. The malware took advantage of the users naivety or stupidity whatever your opinion is but 30,000 people fell for it. Security as a system (layered security) is not as good as being inherently secure. The focus in this thread maybe mobile but I wonder how many PCs were compromised?...Microsoft lol
    O.G.

Global Posts
    12,349 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    As a default on Android, you can't install .apk's from "unknown sources" unless you manually decide to. So for the average user, this would not have been possible, because they would have gotten an error. However, if you're someone who has played around with the phone and rooted, rom'd etc, then chances are this would security feature would already have been disabled, which could/would leave you open to such an app.
    Isn't it great when you know what you're doing?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts

People like this are the reason I have to wipe my father-in-law's hard drive every couple months.

He's one of those folks who clicks "ok" on anything that pops up on his screen.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    jakie55 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast