• 1 Post By Thunderbuck
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Post BNN: RIM wins vote of confidence ahead of BB10

RIM wins vote of confidence ahead of BB10
    RIM wins vote of confidence ahead of BB10 - BNN News

Research In Motion Ltd, for months enveloped by a wave of negative sentiment, got a boost on Tuesday when one of its most influential critics raised his rating on the stock ahead of the launch of RIM's make-or-break new line of BlackBerry 10 devices.

The upgrade by Jefferies & Co analyst Peter Misek pushed RIM's (RIM-T 9.7 0.11 1.15%) share price into double digits for the first time in five months.

Misek based his more optimistic view of the BB10 launch, set for Jan. 30, on a favorable reaction by telecom carriers to the devices and the new operating system that powers them.

"Preliminary results from our quarterly handset survey indicate developed market carriers have a much more positive view of BB10 than we expected," Misek said in a note to clients.

Shares of Waterloo, Ontario-based RIM , a one-time leader in the smartphone industry, have plummeted in recent years as its aging line-up of devices lost ground to faster and snazzier devices from rivals. The company has bet its future on the new BB10.

RIM hopes BB10 smartphones will help claw back market share it has lost in recent years to Apple Inc's iPhone and devices that run on Google Inc's Android operating system.

Misek, who doubled his price target on shares of RIM to $10 from $5, also raised his rating on the stock to "hold" from "underperform".

"With greater carrier shelf space and marketing support, we now believe BB10 has a 20 percent to 30 percent probability of success," said Misek, who has long been skeptical of RIM's odds of engineering a turnaround.

Misek cautioned that there is still downside if RIM's gamble on BB10 fails, but he noted that the stock could be worth as much as $43 within the next 12 months if RIM's bet pays off and its new operating system gets licensed by other handset makers.

RIM says its new devices will be faster and smoother and have a large catalog of applications, which are now critical to the success of any new line of smartphones. While feedback from both developers and carriers on the new devices has been largely upbeat, financial analysts have been much more circumspect about the company's prospects.

Misek's view is not shared by at least one of his counterparts.

In a note to clients on Monday, Pacific Crest analyst James Faucette reiterated his "underperform" rating on RIM's shares. He said regardless of its quality, there is almost no chance that BB10 will meaningfully change RIM's trajectory.
    Video also on the site. Interesting comment about Apple and Google regarding carrier support.
    BONUS in video: Comment on HP regarding 5 Billion charge
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Misek seems like a fraud to me... I have been monitoring RIMM stock for about a week now...The stock has been on the rise. Now he takes advantage on something that was going up regardless. It was going up with his sell rating...#BB10BELIEVE
    Nanakorobi yaoki
    _____

Blackberry Z10 (OS: 10.0.10.99)

Global Posts
    5,284 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by josaki View Post
    Misek seems like a fraud to me... I have been monitoring RIMM stock for about a week now...The stock has been on the rise. Now he takes advantage on something that was going up regardless. It was going up with his sell rating...#BB10BELIEVE
    No, Misek isn't a "fraud" any more than any other analyst is. He's been very negative on RIM, and I suppose I have to thank him for helping drive the price so low (I managed to grab some shares at rock-bottom). He's just acknowledging the reality that A) RIM remains undervalued and B) that there's actually some positive buzz around BB10.
    kozmo68 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,084 Global Posts

Misek is pond scum Imho. Shorts RIM makes $$ while spewing nothing but trash about RIM, then he buys at the bottom and goes long on RIM, knowing full well BB10 has gotten an EXCELLENT reception many weeks back by the developers/carriers etc. A 5 year old reading Crackberry.com these last few weeks/months would have more HONEST insight than Misek. The stock is not going up because of Misek , any chart reader could see some time ago RIM is heading up. makes me sick ppl like Misek get media , the guy is a sham imho. End rant,full stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by menaknow View Post
    RIM wins vote of confidence ahead of BB10
    RIM wins vote of confidence ahead of BB10 - BNN News

Video also on the site. Interesting comment about Apple and Google regarding carrier support.
    BONUS in video: Comment on HP regarding 5 Billion charge
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by TomJasper View Post
    Misek is pond scum Imho. Shorts RIM makes $$ while spewing nothing but trash about RIM, then he buys at the bottom and goes long on RIM, knowing full well BB10 has gotten an EXCELLENT reception many weeks back by the developers/carriers etc. A 5 year old reading Crackberry.com these last few weeks/months would have more HONEST insight than Misek. The stock is not going up because of Misek , any chart reader could see some time ago RIM is heading up. makes me sick ppl like Misek get media , the guy is a sham imho. End rant,full stop.
    We've all said it before he's a clown and full of hot stinky crap