Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lnichols
    Banned

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BlackBerry's Last Holdout

Despite the drubbing Research In Motion (NASDAQ: RIMM ) has gotten recently as smartphones have robbed the company of nearly every last shred of market share, leaving the once-glorious BlackBerry phone a relic in the minds of most consumers, there is one demographic where the phone still holds a strong share: European teenagers. Its 64% market share of Spanish consumers aged 11-17 contribute strongly to its 22% market share as a whole in Spain (which is higher than even Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL ) can claim in that country), and its 46% in the U.K. and 14% in France for the same demographic are still both dramatically higher than for any demographic in the U.S. Here, Motley Fool research analyst Lyons George tells us how bargain-bin investors can potentially still stand to make gains off these numbers.

There is absolutely no doubt that Apple is at the center of technology's largest revolution ever, and a major contributor to Research In Motion's painful decline. Longtime Apple shareholders have been handsomely rewarded with over 1,000% gains. However, there is a debate raging as to whether Apple remains a buy. The Motley Fool's senior technology analyst and managing bureau chief, Eric Bleeker, is prepared to fill you in on both reasons to buy and reasons to sell Apple, and what opportunities are left for the company (and more importantly, your portfolio) going forward. To get instant access to his latest thinking on Apple, simply click here now.

BlackBerry's Last Holdout (RIMM)
    CrackBerry Genius

Last holdout? What happened to Indonesia, India, South Africa, Jamaica, etc...?
    Blatant placeholder signature.

Global Posts
    9,975 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

There is absolutely no doubt that Apple is at the center of technology's largest revolution ever, and a major contributor to Research In Motion's painful decline.
    Should read

There is absolutely no doubt that Apple has been at the center of technology's largest revolution ever, and a major contributor to Research In Motion's painful decline.
    IMHO
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,410 Global Posts

Oh so we are back to Blackberry not being a smartphone again? Nice. Anyway I don't see a lot of upside to Apple now. It was great if you were in a long time ago, but I just can't see them being able to sustain the growth in both users and profits indefinitely. You already see the tech community starting to hit them for minor improvements, increasingly stale UI, slow to embrace things like NFC, etc when compared to newer Android offerings from Samsung. I'd say if iOS 7 doesn't have some major UI changes in it then they will have issues (look at what RIM's complacency did to Blackberry). RIMM stock is still a gamble at the moment as everything hinges on successful BB10 launch and major consumer acceptance, but if that happens the stock is severely undervalued now based on current performance and good numbers and BB10 sales will have the stock shooting up towards where it should have been for now, and increasing for the future. I still see one dip for RIM at the Earnings call on the 20th because some investors are dumb and will panic when not great numbers come out as BBOS device sales will slow even more with BB10 coming in under 60 days. After that blip I expect things to go up from there. I don't know that it would be a great long term investment, but definitely some short term. Also now that people are recommending buys you'll see plenty of positive "analysis" to try to make their prophecies reality, just like what you saw on the shorters and negative side.

Doesn't matter to me, I'll be buying multiple BB10 devices throughout the year (5 total for me and immediate family), and I don't invest at this time as kids eat up all my money with college payments.
    bigbadben10 likes this.