Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BlackBerry is top selling smartphone brand of 2010 in UK

Apparently BlackBerry smartphones were the top selling brand in 2010, according to research compiled by Gfk.

According to Marketing Week, Gfk estimates that in December alone, some 500,000 mobiles were shifted by the company, which represented 36% of the smartphone market in the UK. Throughout 2010, Rim managed to secure a 28% market share.
    source - techwatch

some more (mind blowing) figures too.

Here are the facts provided to us direct from RIM:

* BlackBerry had the top-selling smartphone handset in the market in December 2010. GfK estimate half a million Blackberry devices were sold during the busy Christmas month
    * BlackBerry was the UK's #1 smartphone brand in 2010
    * BlackBerry captured a record high of 36% share of the smartphone market in December 2010
    * BlackBerry was the #1 pre-pay smartphone brand in December 2010 with 51.1% market share
    * BlackBerry was the #1 brand for contract/sim free in December 2010 with 23.3% market share
    * BlackBerry accounted for over 14.9% of the total mobile handset market in December 2010
    that makes apx 11 BlackBerrys a minute sold in the UK in december!!! wicked!
    Last edited by BBThemes; 01-31-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Thorsten said ZED 10. deal with it
    My Apps in BlackBerry World
    My Platinum 9900

For all my themes - BBThemes.co.uk and follow me on @BBThemes1

Global Posts
    7,471 Global Posts

I'm sure the trolls will be crawling out from under the bridges soon to provide valuable commentary. You can't post something positive about RIM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Great bit of info, I have noticed more and nore people have got bb's now.
    Especially now there are phones like the 8520 on very cheap tariffs that include a blackberry data package.
    I spent most of my december helping guys in work setup there email and app stores!
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    I'm sure the trolls will be crawling out from under the bridges soon to provide valuable commentary. You can't post something positive about RIM.
    The media sites couldn't even print this without doubting the numbers.

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by WillieLee View Post
    The media sites couldn't even print this without doubting the numbers.
    its not a suprise to me, until a few months ago i was selling phones, and saw which ones hit the top sales every month for the uk, was always the 9700 or 8520, think 8520 has been top 3 every month since release in the uk!

My Platinum 9900

CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by BBThemes View Post
    its not a suprise to me, until a few months ago i was selling phones, and saw which ones hit the top sales every month for the uk, was always the 9700 or 8520, think 8520 has been top 3 every month since release in the uk!
    It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone as RIM has targeted the PAYGO market and they reported in the last earnings call that they were seeing a large increase in sales in the UK because of this strategy.

It's just funny to see these blogs and media outlets doubt numbers that are specific to the December sales because the Canaly,IDC,NPD reports(which don't contain RIM's December sales as their last reporting quarter ended in November) say something different. I wish I could get paid for not putting any effort into articles.

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by WillieLee View Post
    It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone as RIM has targeted the PAYGO market and they reported in the last earnings call that they were seeing a large increase in sales in the UK because of this strategy.

It's just funny to see these blogs and media outlets doubt numbers that are specific to the December sales because the Canaly,IDC,NPD reports(which don't contain RIM's December sales as their last reporting quarter ended in November) say something different. I wish I could get paid for not putting any effort into articles.
    while i agree, i was unclear, i mean its been top selling contract smartphone, never bothered looking at payg numbers

My Platinum 9900

CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by BBThemes View Post
    while i agree, i was unclear, i mean its been top selling contract smartphone, never bothered looking at payg numbers
    I understood, I just talked about PAYGO because it was the market RIM really started to target last year. They are seeing an increase in pure voice/text buyers and some UK carriers are now trying to lure those customers into becoming data users.

It's just interesting from a view of the marketplace that a smartphone is being purchased just for the voice and text features in place of the feature phones.
    CrackBerry User

They're currently the top selling smartphone brand in Latin America too.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Obviously RIM is going out of business soon. I know because I read it every day in these forums. Stop trying to confuse us with facts.
    CrackBerry User

"Confuse us with facts" lmao

I think RIM is going to stay for a while. Numbers don't lie.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by regulardude View Post
    "Confuse us with facts" lmao

I think RIM is going to stay for a while. Numbers don't lie.

He was being sarcastic

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

hehehe
    The UK barely has 1/5th the population of the USA, and RIM is a Colonial company, I would not use The UK as any factorably metric as to the popularity or market penetration of any headset, in the grand scheme of things.

felt this slightly modified quote would fit this thread
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Grow and thrive. I like the sight of this great news.

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by buwee View Post
    He was being sarcastic
    Oh, my bad.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by buwee View Post
    He was being sarcastic
    Thanks. I tried to make it as obvious as possible but apparently it wasn't enough.