Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
Like Tree350Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BlackBerry to slash up to 40 % of its work force

I would be shocked if this is true, but here is the article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ness_whatsNews

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Hm, WSJ is supposedly more credible than most other sources

"TORONTO—BlackBerry Ltd. is preparing to make deep staff cuts by the end of the year via layoffs that could cost up to 40% of its employees their jobs, people familiar with the matter said. The layoffs will cut across all departments and will occur in waves, likely affecting several thousand employees, the people said. ..."
    CrackBerry Abuser

"Could"
    "Up to"
    = guessing

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    igor10000 (09-19-13) 
    David in Durham likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,204 Global Posts

Also in the Globe and Mail

BlackBerry to slash up to 40% of work force, report says - The Globe and Mail

Sorry to hear. A bad day for our friends at BlackBerry.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by slalom View Post

This article is motivated by the wsj article. Seems reporters are too lazy, they write an article based on another one. Good lord!

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    FSeverino (09-18-13) 
    FSeverino, flyingsolid and mike869 like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by slalom View Post

Also based on the original WSJ article. As always you need to take a grain of salt with these types of things.
    'The frontier between hell and heaven is only the difference between two ways of looking at things.' - George Bernard Shaw
    mike869 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Not good. Truly hope that it is not the case that, Z30, cross-platform BBM and BlackBerry 10.2 comprise BlackBerry the company's swan song package, enjoy the end-game content and the credit rolls afterwards.
    Phones: Motorola StarTAC > Motorola V180 > Palm Treo 680 > BlackBerry Bold 9000 > BlackBerry Bold 9700 > BlackBerry Torch 9810 > BlackBerry Z10

Tablets: Playbook 16 GB WiFi only > Nexus 32 GB WiFi + HSPA+
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Tariq Nasir View Post
    I would be shocked if this is true, but here is the article:

BlackBerry to Slash Its Workforce by Up to 40% - WSJ.com

I would bevery surprised it wasn't true. This company needs to be scaled down to match its current place in the market. They were at 17,500 when Thorsten took over. Core 1 cut about 5000 jobs. I'm expecting Core 2 to be announced at the earnings. I expect this company to be down to 4000-5500 employees by the next 6 months. Not. A real, surprise here,this was telegraphed for 6 months now.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Again..whether true or not, the timing is a bit suspect.

BB announces awesome new Z30 phone + BBM cross platform go-live

Then crush the story:
    BB to layoff 40% by end of year

t
    Thanked by 3:
    hauger (09-19-13),  igor10000 (09-19-13),  R Field (09-18-13) 
    undone, alan510 and danprown like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts

Whether 40% is true or not, my thoughts are with those employees and their families who may be affected and who will have to live with the uncertainty for the next few months. Having gone through downsizings myself, news like this brutalizes morale and impacts both those employees who are slated for lay off and those who are left behind.

I will save my disgust for the leadership of BBRY who transformed an amazing dream into an ugly nightmare through incompetence and poor leadership. I hold the thousands of talented BBRY employees in my thoughts and hope that they get through this tough period without too much pain.
    Thanked by 15:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    akdtor (09-18-13),  Berry_Pink (09-19-13),  CairnsRock (09-18-13),  danprown (09-18-13),  Etios (09-19-13),  ghundiraj (09-18-13),  howarmat (09-18-13),  MERCDROID (09-19-13),  NotGoodIMO (09-18-13),  phuoc (09-18-13),  raggdoll (09-18-13),  randall2580 (09-19-13),  sentano (09-19-13),  anon2100101 (09-19-13),  vcassist (09-18-13) 
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    For the ladies only :-)

to make the company more lucrative for sale, layoffs must unfortunately happen
    "Let's sell this lean mean hunting machine!...in parts"
    xanadome likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,084 Global Posts

Default BlackBerry to slash up to 40 % of its work force

Very bad news for those workers and their families. I can't possibly imagine working in an environment like that where a sword of Damoncles is constantly over my head.

For what it's worth, Blackberry has not yet denied this article like they did the one about slashing most of their sales force. Their only comment has been "organizational moves will continue to occur to ensure we have the right people in the right roles to drive new opportunities".
    Go get some apps!
    DocuShortcut - Free homescreen shortcuts(Built For BlackBerry)
    Symptom Journal - Track medical symptoms and causes (Built For BlackBerry)
    SkinEd for Minecraft - Create and share Minecraft skins
    CrackBerry Master

I simply doubt the credibility of this article. Sort of smacks of the same nonsense last week when WSJ said BB was cutting/eliminating its US sale force. They sort of got that one wrong, big time.
    mike869 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by NYC10065 View Post
    Whether 40% is true or not, my thoughts are with those employees and their families who may be affected and who will have to live with the uncertainty for the next few months. Having gone through downsizings myself, news like this brutalizes morale and impacts both those employees who are slated for lay off and those who are left behind.

I will save my disgust for the leadership of BBRY who transformed an amazing dream into an ugly nightmare through incompetence and poor leadership. I hold the thousands of talented BBRY employees in my thoughts and hope that they get through this tough period without too much pain.
    Agree 100%. Hopefully all will find employment quickly and only the best going forward.
    Thanked by 2:
    milo53 (09-19-13),  sentano (09-19-13) 
    NYC10065, danprown and milo53 like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by mcstravi View Post

Then crush the story:

t
    I totally agree. It appears to be one of those planted stories if you ask me.
    CrackBerry Genius

Please edit your title. Your title states it as fact rather than suggestion or rumor

Posted via CB10
    Systemwars.com a forum to argue over videogames, phones, movies, and absolutely nothing,
    Thanked by:
    j1m0h (09-18-13) 
    Boots4283 and R Field like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Whenever BlackBerry put out something very exciting, WallStreet starts pumping with negative news. They wouldn't let the BlackBerry runs with a good news for one day. Too many short this stock. I hope those who short BlackBerry stock homeless one day.
    Thanked by:
    parthokarki (09-19-13) 
    CrackBerry User

Default Timing of the story

The release of the Z30 and pending release of BBM should've registered a marked rise in the stockprice. Since BBRY is set to go private, buyers have a vested interest in keeping the stock price as low as possible. Releasing a trial ballon about possible job cuts on the same day would (and did) do the trick.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcstravi View Post

Then crush the story:

t
    I agree. This is meant to kill the buzz around Z30 + BBM. It's crazy that on my blackberry feed I see more stories about the layoffs, on a day where the Z30 was announced and we had confirmation dates on BBM.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    Starcraft 2 TV - Watch Professional SC2 games on Demand: http://bit.ly/18Pxrqj
    Join our channel: C001242DE
    CrackBerry Genius

It is interesting that BlackBerry has less employees than htc and made 3 billion more turnover...... and still they want to cut another few thousand?

Posted via CB10
    You Like BlackBerry? Tell us Why!

#IChooseBlackBerry10
    http://forums.crackberry.com/armchai...-frank-850061/
    CrackBerry Newbie

Shao told me about this thread after I made a duplicate. Anyways, this is horrible news if true.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Warlack View Post
    It is interesting that BlackBerry has less employees than htc and made 3 billion more turnover...... and still they want to cut another few thousand?
    I would guess that HTC's average cost per employee (with benefits and payroll taxes) is much less than BlackBerry's Canadian workforce.
    CrackBerry User

Common...I think this is only a media crap again..

Posted via CB10
    Cracking from the #BEASTBARZ10 #IChooseBlackberry #KeepMoving
    mike869 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by NYC10065 View Post

Blackberry's idiotic management will be rewarded with colossal severance package while 40% of the staff lose their jobs. Where is Mr Heinz hiding anyways, may be Blackberry is better off that way. Every time he show his face in the media, Blackberry gets more bashing. I feel bad for the people at Blackberry who created such an amazing product in BB10, too bad this management lacks backbone to make it successful.
    Thanked by:
    milo53 (09-19-13) 
    NYC10065, danprown and milo53 like this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Lets see how (if) BlackBerry addresses this media report with a statement.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast