Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Blackberry Phones Need QNX Now

In order to take advantage of the QNX OS on Blackberry phones, will require something which is not in place today on the hardware. Based on comments at Live At Dive, the QNX software needs to have multi-core chips in order to adequately perform and that has become the focus for RIM with respect to the Blackberry phones. At the moment, there are no multi-core chips which can be used without chewing up the battery.

RIM is currently focused on the Blackberry Playbook and it is running the QNX software with a multi-core processor to take advantage of the features. It does appear that the historic Blackberry phones have taken a back seat to the coming tablet, as though RIM knows they cannot compete at the moment.

There is value with Blackberry phones being tied to the coming RIM Playbook for companies, especially with the built in features companies have relied on for years. Tethering the devices together is something companies would really like to see, but it appears that the Blackberry phone OS needs to be updated. That is not going to happen any time soon. Dual core chips are being manufactured, but there are no immediate plans for any phone manufacturer to use them. It may be 3rd quarter before that begins to happen and maybe by the end of 2012 where we see them being available in phones being release.

For now, the Blackberry phones will continue down the path they are traveling until the hardware is able to catch up to the needs of the QNX software. Unfortunately, that allows for competitors to continue to chip away as the sales numbers for RIM.

Blackberry Phones Need QNX Now
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    7A495BBE

Unfortunately, what the article fails to address is the fact that the technology is more or less here, and could/should be implemented ASAP.

It will sure be interesting to see what they roll out this coming year and how the market either jumps all over it or shys away from it.
    $
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

I was kind of expecting the opposite. BB OS uses a Java bastardization. My understanding is that QNX is a lean mean *nix OS written in C. So was expecting it to use less resources, not more. I wonder if this isn't FUD, misleading competitors?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Hey look, the sky is falling. <roll eyes>
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    297be244

We all think of QNX on a phone...
    Now and ONLY now is the right time for QNX.

But I don`t think we will see QNX on a phone before the playbook, because thats the biggest thing for RIM in 2011...

The big problem about that is, RIM leaked QNX too long before selling it - so the competitors had enough time to react to that.
    I also think the Ipad2 wonīt be out too long after the playbook...

I don`t really understand RIMīs stradigy behind that...
    Either they they are that proud, that they canīt wait to show their future...
    Or they are "big actors" and they act like: "Oh, we donīt have anything else to offer.."

My opinion is, we are not too far from OS 6.1 which maybe could offer Flash.
    Which would give RIM more time to develop the duo core devices...
    (because QNX is said to run ONLY with duo core)

There are 3 possibilities for 2011:

1. (which seems to be the right one - but I donīt hope it is) RIM really waits till March to launch the playbook - after that maybe in Q3-Q4 (or even later), we will see the new generations of BB.

2. The last things we heard about the whole thing were "bad jokes" and they will launch QNX within the next months (which would be awesome).

or

3. Itīs a mix of both. RIM doesnīt have anything "REALLY NEW" planed till Q3-Q4, but now they are working harder (because of the pressure and the bad articles) on these dou core things, that we will see them earlier...

We shouldnīt forget, Blackberrys are ment to be for buisness offer best E-mail, text or messenger services. (and they still rule "that world").
    But for "us" (consumers) itīs just bad...

And RIM know - if there is buisness, BB is still number one!
    So, the can say: "Oh, donīt hear what the talk about, we will still sell our devices around the world..."
    If thats the right way - I donīt want to comment it.
    Last edited by Slash82; 12-20-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    Easy come, easy go...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Slash82 View Post
    1. (which seems to be the right one - but I donīt hope it is) RIM really waits till March to launch the playbook - after that maybe in Q3-Q4 (or even later), we will see the new generations of BB.
    As long as they can get away and generate revenues by selling their existing phones at ultra low prices and at more places worldwide....it's still making money , but that's a temporary solution, until the problem (becoming technologically competitive again) is addressed.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    297be244

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan775 View Post
    As long as they can get away and generate revenues by selling their existing phones at ultra low prices and at more places worldwide....it's still making money , but that's a temporary solution, until the problem (becoming technologically competitive again) is addressed.
    I have to agree with you - almost...

The only thing is that you are right with "lowerclass products", like 8520, 9300 etc...

But compare the "higher classes" like 9800, 9780 to the HTC Desire, LG Windows phone or so...
    There is almost no difference...
    No ultra low prices... :-(
    The competitors offer the "better deal" (I only mean the the device specs. 1 : 1)
    Last edited by Slash82; 12-20-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    Easy come, easy go...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Slash82 View Post
    I have to agree with you - almost...

The only thing is that you are right with "lowerclass products", like 8520, 9300 etc...

But compare the "higher classes" like 9800, 9780 to the HTC Desire, LG Windows phone or so...
    There is almost no difference...
    No ultra low prices... :-(
    The competitors offer the "better deal" (I only mean the the device specs. 1 : 1)
    They will have to. Not sure how they do it overseas where most of the business seems to be kicking off, but they (RIM) have the advantage of that the only serious compeititor they get is Nokia and some old HP IPAQ and similar dinosaur palm pilot phones.
    Best Buy is offering a free Torch right now with a 2 year contract.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts

I am going with what the analysis say and QNX will not be on blackberry smartphones till a year after the playbook comes out. I think it will really take awhile till RIM wants to ditch the old hardware. Its all about money.

They want to make as much money they can out of the 2g countries. I am sorry but the consumers lose cause RIM is making so much money in other parts of the globe that they will not care about the die hard users who want more from a smartphone.

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

When RIM decides QNX will be on blackberry smartphones, they'll do it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    22A9FD41

It will follow after Playbook QNXos is released... I feel it shouldn't be too soon after and I think storm 3 might be first to get it (that's just guess based on how they've delayed etc.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    PIN
    316657EF

I just don't believe RIM is in a position to slow walk the process of getting QNX on to phones. I really think they are teetering on the verge of complete collapse in the consumer market. they are also losing ground in the business market as well. My buddy's job just replaced all their Blackberries with Droid 2's.
    Friends call me Big John
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Slapnpop826 View Post
    I just don't believe RIM is in a position to slow walk the process of getting QNX on to phones. I really think they are teetering on the verge of complete collapse in the consumer market. they are also losing ground in the business market as well. My buddy's job just replaced all their Blackberries with Droid 2's.
    LOL...yet another uninformed post!

yeah rim is totally on the verge of collapsing....
    Intellectuals solve problems; Geniuses Prevent them!
    - A. Einstein
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Well, err, I'd like a QNX phone but quite frankly I'd rather have it when it's ready.

Personally I am quite happy with the current OS. It is VERY stable and works.

Oh yes, RIM is NOT about to collapse. Really. I am soooo tired of reading this uninformed ***** posts from people who seriously no absolutely nothing of the mobile phone industry and who certainly canot read a corporate balance sheet.

How much RIMM stock to you own Mr. OP?

To me OP's post looks like yet another Apple, Android, whatever fanboi sounding off from his mouth orifice with no teeth.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    PIN
    316657EF

Quote Originally Posted by Terrellizme View Post
    LOL...yet another uninformed post!

yeah rim is totally on the verge of collapsing....
    Notice I said in the "consumer market". Maybe I should have been even more specific and said the US consumer market. RIM is making money, I understand that, however they are no longer in the discussion when it comes to smart phones for the average consumer.
    Friends call me Big John
    Retired Moderator

RIM's BlackBerry and PlayBook Future is Clear as Mud | Lance Ulanoff | PCMag.com

Research in Motion plans to move forward with two separate operating systems for its mobile devices, putting its relatively recent purchase, QNX, on all tablets and smartphones and the BlackBerry OS on any phone called a BlackBerry. RIM CEO Mike Lazaridis explained the dichotomy by saying that QNX is built for multi-core CPUs and is designed for low-power high efficiency. ...
    This is the source of the content, the message has become twisted in translation.

QNX has been running of single core CPU from day one. The point he is making, it will be optimized for multi-core CPU to achieve performance and efficiency.

I am with Pete, get it right first.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts

RIM is the leader in:

• EMail handling. Not just speed. Whether BIS or BES, you can push multiple accounts of different types through to a common in-box. Those accounts can all reply as themselves (rather than a common GMail address) and have different signatures. Your mail doesn't have to sit on a second server in the cloud - it passes THROUGH the cloud.
    • Sync. You can sync your berry direct to outlook (calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes) including most fields. You can sync real time via BES or third party Funambol. All direct to/from the berry's internal DB. Other platforms cant do that without workarounds, multiple third party apps, headaches, and missing fields.
    • Security. iPhone and Android still have very limited security for it's on-board data.
    • Battery life. 2-3 days vs 1 day if youre careful. The down side is its because the hardware is more limited.

These things are low priorities for the other manufacturers. So I personally will wait a bit longer for RIM to add some advanced FEATURES like QNX, flash, and a working GPU on top of the necessities, rather than loose key functionality and flexibility to get a phone based on nicities.

That said, their pace in doing so is maddening and makes one wonder if it ever will happen. If it's only via the pad device, then I may go that way for a bit.
    Last edited by TBacker; 12-23-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Global Posts
    7,483 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reed McLay View Post
    This is the source of the content, the message has become twisted in translation.
    Yeah but the message getting mangled is RIM's fault. The last earnings call, the Deep Dive, etc. all have the co-CEO's avoiding questions, double talking, saying that the stuff that people are complaining about is great and nothings wrong, and when asked about when the phones will get better they bring the focus back to the Playbook.