Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Blackberry Owners Shrinking But Rich

The number of smartphone owners who use Research In Motions’s (NASDAQ: RIMM) Blackberry is shrinking as a part of the overall market. But, at least the people who use the devices are rich. That is probably of little comfort to RIM, but it does show that handset company still has a base it might rebuild upon at the top of the market. That is only true if it can get the well-to-do to use the wireless internet the way that its competitor’s customers do.

ProperMobile released a report of smartphone habits. In in the firm writes that 11.3% of all Blackberry owners make over $150,000 a year. Among Google (NASDAQ: GOOG) Android based smartphone owners that figure is only 7.2%, and among user of the Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) iPhone the number is 10.9%. Those numbers, data about median income and job title make it clear that Blackberry users are professionals and managers more than people who use handsets powered by Android, or* the iPhone.

RIM has challenges that are not obvious from its stock price or poor financial trends. It may have a large part of the high end of the smartphone market, but Blackberry owners are not active users of apps or mobile online multimedia. Twenty-one percent of Apple owners use Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX). Only 10.6% of Blackberry users do. Eighty five percent of iPhone users download apps compared to 59.5% of Blackberry users.

A larger study would probably show that Blackberry users are older than people who use Android-based phones and iPhones. The RIM users are well-off enough to pay premium prices for smartphones and the most expensive wireless subscriptions services. But, their app use shows that they are more part of the past use of wireless mobile than of the future.

And, there is no way that RIM can force or entices its users to become avid users of interactive wireless features if they are not inclined to do so already. That is another trend that runs sharply against RIM’s future.

Douglas A. McIntyre

Blackberry Owners, Shrinking But Rich - 24/7 Wall St.
    Thanked by 2:
    Jake2826 (09-26-2011),  world traveler and former ceo (09-25-2011) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts

So that explains the third world countries using blackberries and the 13 year old girls on bbm all day. Way to be an elitist.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    lma13 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,399 Global Posts

LOL @ this logic of it being because they're well off and able to pay a premium. Its because they're old and learning something new is frightening

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katiepea View Post
    LOL @ this logic of it being because they're well off and able to pay a premium. Its because they're old and learning something new is frightening

by your logic shouldn't apple be the product better suited for them?
    bquinney and Jake2826 like this.

makes sense ... most professionals ...like me ...love the bb...i use the new bold 9900 and absolutely love it! ...most of my professional friends are blackberry users.... Rim needs to leverage this influential customer base.... quality business apps and solidify this niche...while the qnx phone can go after the consumer segment....
    CrackBerry Addict

So if you own a BlackBerry, your income will increase but you're stature will decrease. Tough trade.
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    19,558 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

I will not let this comment go - your statement suggests that I'm an old hag who is too scared of change to keep the Atrix that did not meet my needs. Actually, I've used both iOS and Android and simply did not like what they offered me.

So...you are saying that scared old people are the only ones using BB. Katie, that statement was ridiculous.

It is a matter of preference - neither affluence, lack of it, or age play into my decision as to what I choose for my phone.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,399 Global Posts

Calm down that's not what I meant at all. They surveyed rich people, which means they likely surveyed older people and that's why the numbers would be skewed. I do not think only old farts use BB or that they're scared to learn. Just likely this could be the case why old rich people don't adopt new tech. This goes beyond smartphones. My grandmother is still renting a rotary landline phone from att because she can't be bothered with a cordless one, or even a touchtone one. This is actually more expensive for her, that was my only point

Global Posts
    19,558 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Calm down that's not what I meant at all. They surveyed rich people, which means they likely surveyed older people and that's why the numbers would be skewed. I do not think only old farts use BB or that they're scared to learn. Just likely this could be the case why old rich people don't adopt new tech. This goes beyond smartphones. My grandmother is still renting a rotary landline phone from att because she can't be bothered with a cordless one, or even a touchtone one. This is actually more expensive for her, that was my only point

I think there are a lot of assumptions in that article. Rich people are not necessarily old. Not even middle aged. I'm not talking about the obvious music or movie starts....there are a lot of just regular people who have judiciously planned for the higher paying jobs since high school - major, college, internships and ultimately six figure jobs.

I was a very late baby, my mother is old. I mailed her an 8310 for her first BB...she'd never had anything other than a dumb phone. She picked that thing up and figured it out on her own. Ditto for her 9700. Returned the 9800 I sent her, she didn't like the slider but loved the touchscreen. So I'll be sending her a 9900. She's an 88 year old "fart."

I've also seen a lot of well to do seniors using iPhones.

The article is ridiculous. Very one dimensional and devoid of good analysis.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 09-25-2011 at 06:51 AM.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,322 Global Posts

The trend right now is everyone is getting a smart phone not just professional and business. So for the most part the device with the most bells and whistles is the winner.
    Blackberry has its own click of people which they pretty much maintain but they are loosing out on the others that need a device for just social needs. If QNX come out I think that will be the social device and the traditional BB will continue on being for business users.
    Make sure you vote! Your vote counts!
    Support the 9-12 Project
    CrackBerry User

I do wonder about the validity of this survey. RIM still has a big big hold on the corporate market over here (UK) and also local and national government staff are all still using BBs. However, my own perception is that BB's are also wildly popular with the teenage market and pay as you go users. Virtually every kid I see is holding an 8520 or 9300.

Global Posts
    19,558 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Once a viable alternative with the same functionalities as BBM exist for young teenagers interested in the primarily OMGDIDYOUSEEWHATSHEWASWEARINGTOTHEPROM!!!!!!!!! type of messages, other platforms will compete against BBM.
    For now, the features within BBM make it fantastic for that demographic.

So....the article has forgotten about the entry level groups who use BB because their parents give it to them. A lot of entries into the market don't really care about the bells and whistles or being able to launch spaceships from their phones, they want to OMG!!! to their hearts' content and KNOW when the recipient of the OMG message got it!!! A number of that demographic remain with BB. It is shrinking, but it certainly exists.

It almost sounds as if the writer had a predefined outcome for the survey and sought out the groups who would support his viewpoint instead of truly sampling.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 09-25-2011 at 08:20 AM.
    iMore Ambassador
  13. CGI
    CrackBerry Addict

In my neck of the woods, I see tons of teenagers with BlackBerrys.

So... I can only assume...

As they start making money, they migrate to fancier toys.

Once they mature to business leaders, they return to BlackBerry.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CGI View Post
    Once they mature to business leaders, they return to BlackBerry.

LOL
    I'm sure that's why RIM's sales are declining, all those returning business leaders.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    712 Global Posts

BB is for business Android and IOS are toys for kids imo. There are a few with IOS but don't know anyone with Android. Most everyone in my profession uses a BB and make well over $150k. We need our battery to last and be able to access email constantly.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.

I started out with an iPhone. Moved to BlackBerry, then got an android. Hated it and came back.

So no. not really.
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    20DF5A6B

150k a year trust me I didnt make that last year !
    Bold 9000,Torch 9860,PlayBook 16G and now rocking the Q10
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by world traveler and former ceo View Post
    makes sense ... most professionals ...like me ...love the bb...i use the new bold 9900 and absolutely love it! ...most of my professional friends are blackberry users.... Rim needs to leverage this influential customer base.... quality business apps and solidify this niche...while the qnx phone can go after the consumer segment....
    No, this is pretty much the opposite of what they need to do. Kill OS 7 as quickly as possible and move EVERYONE to the new platform. OS 6.1 7 is purely a stopgap measure until QNX takes over. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume what you really like about your 9900 is the sexy hardware since that is its strong point. Imagine sexy hardware with software to match - that would truly be something that will make everyone look RIM's way again.
    O.G.

Global Posts
    12,347 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gucci33 View Post
    BB is for business Android and IOS are toys for kids imo.
    And these toys are helping people run businesses who's income are triple yours.

Just because it can't be used by you doesn't make it a toy. Especially when there are more dedicated business apps on said platforms. Let's not forget they also support EAS, which is used in many many business places.
    Thanked by:
    K Bear (09-25-2011) 
    GingerSnapsBack and K Bear like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    712 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by avt123 View Post
    And these toys are helping people run businesses who's income are triple yours.

Just because it can't be used by you doesn't make it a toy. Especially when there are more dedicated business apps on said platforms. Let's not forget they also support EAS, which is used in many many business places.
    I have used them all and bb is a business tool unlike the rest thank you

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,483 Global Posts

Shrinking?!?! I'm still the same height I've been since my Senior year of High School!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

Right..cuz the physical keyboard makes it a business tool..because that's about all BB's do properly over the other phones imo.

If "business users" like reading truncated emails on 2.5" screens...then all the power to them.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by SharpieFiend View Post
    Imagine sexy hardware with software to match - that would truly be something that will make everyone look RIM's way again.
    It never is about the "sexy hardware". It is all about winning developer support. But in order to win developer support, you need to win consumer support. However in order to win consumer support, you need to win developer support.

See the difficulty?

Microsoft won the OS War because hardware was cheap for Windows. Nobody cared how "sexy" Apple's or even IBM's boxes were. The developers ran to where the sales were.

The same thing is happening in the Post PC Wars. The only difference is that now Apple owns the majority and also have the sales volume to keep pricing down and the developer support to keep the platform popular.

The smartphone industry became a stop gap industry. Within the next two years, it will be gone along with the stand alone PDA. It's really amazing how many people (and companies) are not seeing this trend.

Once IDC and Gartner start including tablets AND handhelds as computer sales, then that will be deciding moment.
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    32,438 Global Posts

It does not necessarily mean the users are old and incapable of learning something new. For example, I helped my doctor back up his medical records from his PC by showing him how to do the backup with the medical software he has. He is not old and not dumb, since he is a physician who spent many years in university/medical school and still must update his medical training. However, he is too busy with his medical career to have the time to learn new PC software.

Many of those executives could just be too busy in their high-paying careers to bother with things like smartphone OS functions and new apps.
    O.G.

Global Posts
    12,347 Global Posts

For you. That is all I am saying. For others, BBs will crash their business because they are not capable of certain things.
    Thanked by:
    K Bear (09-25-2011) 
    K Bear likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast