Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Homo Erectus
  • 2 Post By jonty12
  • 1 Post By kfh227
  1. Homo Erectus's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    524 Posts
    Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default BlackBerry Facts – Why RIM Won’t Die

    During the BlackBerry 10 Gold SDK Tweetup last night in New York City, RIM ran a few slides to humble-brag. In one of the slides it showed off the statistics about BlackBerry.

    Any logical person looking at the facts can see that RIM is not a company on the verge of death. In fact, the company looks to still be very much profitable, which is one likely reason the Analysts are beginning to voice a hold or buy action.

    RIM has 2.3 Billion in cash with zero debt (wish I had that kind of cash flow!), global subscriber base has grown by 5million over last year, BBM is still hugely popular, and they attract 90% of fortune 500 companies.

    This is a company that is on the cusp of a historical platform release with all these positive figures behind them. Keep hope alive TeamBlackBerry, 2013 is just around the corner!

    BlackBerry Facts - Why RIM Won't Die - N4BB
    Tim1131 likes this.
  2. TheStoof's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    696 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    I think it's $1.5 billion now.
  3. silversun10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,283 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    BlackBerry Facts – Why RIM Won’t Die
    BlackBerry Facts Why RIM Wont Die
    During the BlackBerry 10 Gold SDK Tweetup last night in New York City, RIM ran a few slides to humble-brag. In one of the slides it showed off the statistics about BlackBerry.

    Any logical person looking at the facts can see that RIM is not a company on the verge of death. In fact, the company looks to still be very much profitable, which is one likely reason the Analysts are beginning to voice a hold or buy action.

    RIM has 2.3 Billion in cash with zero debt (wish I had that kind of cash flow!), global subscriber base has grown by 5million over last year, BBM is still hugely popular, and they attract 90% of fortune 500 companies.

    This is a company that is on the cusp of a historical platform release with all these positive figures behind them. Keep hope alive TeamBlackBerry, 2013 is just around the corner!
  4. jonty12's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,665 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,666 Global Posts
    PIN
    333BCCA7
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheStoof View Post
    I think it's $1.5 billion now.
    Why do you think that? Their cash reserves increased last quarter over the prior quarter (stunning a lot of analysts). Continued increase in subscriber base (even if small) and cost cutting likely mean higher cash reserves not lower. Don't expect cash reserves to significantly drop until next quarter when the marketing budget is hopefully blown away.
    Bobcat665 and r0v3rT3N like this.
  5. chrysaurora's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,028 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonty12 View Post
    Why do you think that? Their cash reserves increased last quarter over the prior quarter (stunning a lot of analysts). Continued increase in subscriber base (even if small) and cost cutting likely mean higher cash reserves not lower. Don't expect cash reserves to significantly drop until next quarter when the marketing budget is hopefully blown away.
    I heard Nokia only spend $100M in marketing for Lumia Windows Phone 8 and they seem to have gone all out. So, I don't think marketing is going to cost RIM a big percentage of their cash reserve. But then that was probably US only budget. BB is being launched in 50 places at once.

    I could be wrong about Nokia's figure. If so, feel free to correct me.
    *******
    Dear BlackBerry,
    UPGRADE existing users to BB 10. Don't want to price devices too low? Start a 'trade-up' program. Let existing BB users exchange their old (even non-working) devices for new BB10. Eg: Old BlackBerry + $250 = Z10 This way, you won't have to officially lower your MSRP.

    IMPLEMENT requests in order (most requested to least): http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...50/index9.html
  6. jonty12's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,665 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,666 Global Posts
    PIN
    333BCCA7
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    I heard Nokia only spend $100M in marketing for Lumia Windows Phone 8 and they seem to have gone all out. So, I don't think marketing is going to cost RIM a big percentage of their cash reserve. But then that was probably US only budget. BB is being launched in 50 places at once.

    I could be wrong about Nokia's figure. If so, feel free to correct me.
    Note I said "hopefully". I actually mean it. They'll need to blow the barn doors off with marketing to get real traction. The NY Times deal yesterday was a good start (the times acknowledged the deal was "significant" which translates to big bucks). Normally I like to be conservative with spending, but now's not the time. If anything, Nokia proved they didn't spend enough (I actually didn't see very much Nokia advertising for the 820/920 and I live in NY; I hardly noticed any at all). RIM needs to look at this like Apple and Samsung do. Be everywhere. Be un avoidable. Of course the message is critical. So far Frank B has been spot on.
  7. sosumi11's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    549 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonty12 View Post
    Note I said "hopefully". I actually mean it. They'll need to blow the barn doors off with marketing to get real traction. The NY Times deal yesterday was a good start (the times acknowledged the deal was "significant" which translates to big bucks). Normally I like to be conservative with spending, but now's not the time. If anything, Nokia proved they didn't spend enough (I actually didn't see very much Nokia advertising for the 820/920 and I live in NY; I hardly noticed any at all). RIM needs to look at this like Apple and Samsung do. Be everywhere. Be un avoidable. Of course the message is critical. So far Frank B has been spot on.
    Please, understand the difference between "marketing" and "advertising".

    Marketing is strategic research and planning—what to make, who to sell it too. This is part of the internal product development process.
    Advertising is the tactical communications to push the execution of the Marketing Plan.

    Advertising has always been the scapegoat for failed products. It's easy to blame. "Didn't spend enough" or "Spent too much" or "Bad commercials" or "Never heard of the product". If a product is good, the news will get out virally. Thanks to blogs, the internet, tweets, Yelp and other social networks, the cream does rise to the top and a simple search will lead revealing results. This is how a well thought out Marketing Plan becomes an integrated part of the product and executions (ads) are not just pushed through the system as an expenditure.

    However, spending gazillions of dollars on advertising does not guarantee a success. Money didn't help Microsoft get traction on Windows 8 or Surface. Microsoft and RIM have the same challenge in that they are both trying to revitalize their products for the Post PC Era.

    RIM's weakness is that they were never a part of the PC Era to begin with.
  8. RubberChicken76's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,039 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,042 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheStoof View Post
    I think it's $1.5 billion now.
    According to what? Your gut?
  9. kfh227's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,812 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,822 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Shameless plug for an article I wrote in July that discusses this topic to an extent.

    Time to Buy Research In Motion?
    dentynefire likes this.
  10. kfh227's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,812 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,822 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheStoof View Post
    I think it's $1.5 billion now.
    $2.065 billion to be exact. Well get an update on this number in a week or two.
  11. chrysaurora's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,028 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kfh227 View Post
    Shameless plug for an article I wrote in July that discusses this topic to an extent.

    Time to Buy Research In Motion?
    Who wrote this? kfh227? I think he is a CB member. Great article.
    *******
    Dear BlackBerry,
    UPGRADE existing users to BB 10. Don't want to price devices too low? Start a 'trade-up' program. Let existing BB users exchange their old (even non-working) devices for new BB10. Eg: Old BlackBerry + $250 = Z10 This way, you won't have to officially lower your MSRP.

    IMPLEMENT requests in order (most requested to least): http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...50/index9.html
  12. kfh227's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,812 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,822 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    Who wrote this? kfh227? I think he is a CB member. Great article.
    Yes, that was my article. I got $100 to write it. And since RIMM doubled in price since I wrote it as part of a contest, I get another $1000.

    And thank you. keep in mind that that was written at July ;-)
  13. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kfh227 View Post
    Yes, that was my article. I got $100 to write it. And since RIMM doubled in price since I wrote it as part of a contest, I get another $1000.
    In other words you're a gambling man. Good on you for turning the payment of $100 into $1100 in only 4 months; that is a much better return than even RIMM managed between its low-point and today's market price. Congratulations!
  14. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sosumi11 View Post
    RIM's weakness is that they were never a part of the PC Era to begin with.
    Correction. Research In Motion's weakness was the arrogance and hubris of Mike and Jim. These guys created a company from the ground up as well as an industry but they got too comfortable as the company's then current lifecycle approached mid-life just as people become risk adverse or blinded by past success when they reach middle-age. I have wondered if the smartphone would exist today had RIM not transformed the pager into an interactive communications device.
  15. jonty12's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,665 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,666 Global Posts
    PIN
    333BCCA7
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sosumi11 View Post
    Please, understand the difference between "marketing" and "advertising".

    Marketing is strategic research and planning—what to make, who to sell it too. This is part of the internal product development process.
    Advertising is the tactical communications to push the execution of the Marketing Plan.

    Advertising has always been the scapegoat for failed products. It's easy to blame. "Didn't spend enough" or "Spent too much" or "Bad commercials" or "Never heard of the product". If a product is good, the news will get out virally. Thanks to blogs, the internet, tweets, Yelp and other social networks, the cream does rise to the top and a simple search will lead revealing results. This is how a well thought out Marketing Plan becomes an integrated part of the product and executions (ads) are not just pushed through the system as an expenditure.

    However, spending gazillions of dollars on advertising does not guarantee a success. Money didn't help Microsoft get traction on Windows 8 or Surface. Microsoft and RIM have the same challenge in that they are both trying to revitalize their products for the Post PC Era.

    RIM's weakness is that they were never a part of the PC Era to begin with.
    I don't want to come off as smug, but you're wrong. As someone who runs a multimillion dollar business with advanced degrees in business I can assure you I know what marketing and advertising mean. But to define independently from my own paraphrasing, here are definitions you can check:

    mar·ket·ing [mahr-ki-ting] (from dictionary.com)
    noun
    1.
    the act of buying or selling in a market.
    2.
    the total of activities involved in the transfer of goods from the producer or seller to the consumer or buyer, including advertising, shipping, storing, and selling.


    In other words, much like a square is always a rectangle, but a rectangle isn't necessarily a square, advertising is a subset of marketing. My comment was about marketing, not solely advertising. The WP problem related to not spending enough is not just an "advertising" issue; it covers their entire strategic marketing plan including advertising, customer targeting, initial market research and more. I see several aspects of it in my business, consumers generally only see the advertising aspect.
  16. ctuffy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kfh227 View Post
    Shameless plug for an article I wrote in July that discusses this topic to an extent.

    Time to Buy Research In Motion?
    That was a terrifically well written article and it was an enjoyable read. Congratulations!

Similar Threads

  1. Why RIM/Blackberry will be just fine
    By dbollman423 in forum News & Rumors
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 01:16 AM
  2. Why RIM won't have an option to lock Blackberry Protect?
    By mss-ca in forum BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2012, 02:21 PM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-02-2012, 05:39 PM
  4. Why RIM should make BBM available for non-BlackBerry users
    By majorfacts.be in forum Native BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 05:03 PM
  5. Why RIM should make BBM available for non-BlackBerry users
    By majorfacts.be in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 11:00 AM

Posting Permissions