Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Like Tree26Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by BlackberryFan777 View Post
    I'm a BB user who switched to Android. My old BB was aging rapidly and I had and have every intention of returning to BB when BB10 is released. Conveniently, I was able to remain grandfathered in to an unlimited data plan on ATT, a plan that is no longer available at any price. However, I just called an ATT rep and they told me that if I were to require a change to a new BIS plan to run BB10, I would need to give up the unlimited data plan and end up paying more for a restricted plan with serious penalties for overages.
    I'd double-check that with someone higher up at AT&T. They have always said that a smartphone plan is a smartphone plan - regardless of who makes it. Even a change from regular GSM based data (including the "faux-G" HSPA+) to LTE won't matter. For AT&T, all it takes is a few keystrokes on the account to direct data traffic to the BIS servers in Canada.

Btw, the carriers don't maintain any BIS servers themselves. They are all directed to the nearest RIM run BIS server in whatever country a carrier is. All U.S. carriers route them to RIM's data center in Canada. Do a lookup of your IP while on the mobile connection, and it thinks you're in Canada, even if you're physically located in South Louisiana (like I am).

How BIS will work under BB10 is a question. I think it is more for push services as needed and BBM. Also, to pick up regular pop3 email accounts that can't be picked up over ActiveSync. Remember, there are plenty people still with regular pop3 email accounts that don't have an imap option (like me), so you can't assume that ActiveSync just covers everything.

Another thing is the idea that the problem RIM had with BES and BB10 must be an issue with BIS. BES and BIS are two completely different things. BIS is, generally, just an intermediate point between your carrier and the internet. BES is running on an email server at the company you work at (or, wherever the physical server is located). From there, it is similarly an intermediate point between your carrier and the internet, except that it's a more active participant in what goes to and put of your phone. BES has a more direct access to the BB: it can control it, load apps, block apps, change settings, etc. I don't think BIS has that kind of access to the phone. I think it was the aspect of trying to get the current BES that kind of broad control on the QNX platform that was giving RIM problems.

Joel
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Secret

Default Re: "Blackberry Data" plan required for BB10

Not sure if I welcome the Blackaberry Data plan... With my carrier, you have to get a BlackBerry plan on top of a regular data plan, and that works out to around $60 per month (with 1Gb data, 500 messages and 100 minutes free call time). And you still have to pay like $500 for the device itself. Not really worth it in my opinion.

Sent from that Atrix.
    Last edited by tatperson; 11-01-2012 at 09:13 AM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I for one will not purchase a cell that requires a data plan to operate any differently than i do now.
    Had a Pet Rock and now I've got a Play Brick.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

I will however. It's normal.
    Flamers, don't even try, I have my waterhose ready
    GNU/Linux distros of choice: Ubuntu, Mint (or anything based on debian that's still geared towards beginners and isn't too bloated).

My Tweets, Wordpress Blog, My Statuses, My Formspring.me & Videos (Viddler), (Dailymotion), (YouTube Partner channel)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts

I use my own Business Domain for my main business contact email address. So the BIS plan is even more a downer for me because I would also loose a GRANDFATHER UNLIMITED ATT PLAN. Not that I use it over two 2gig a month but still I dont like the idea of loosing features because I upgraded. Thats wrong and any can tell why. DOOM on all of you if you carry out this greedy plan. I just hope my none @att.blackberry.net email performs as well on the BIS . I want to keep my grandfather unlimited plan.

Yeah I use a POP email with network solutions right now with my own domain. I dont need problems with that. ???
    Last edited by motorhead777; 11-04-2012 at 06:40 PM.

PIN

@Motorhead777 It's not DOOM or GLOOM for anybody. You don't want to switch off your current data plan? That's fine.

But like anybody who needs it, your blackberry is nothing but a qwerty phone without data. Just because somee people complain about it, doesn't mean everybody will. You can't get data "free". It's stealing.
    GNU/Linux distros of choice: Ubuntu, Mint (or anything based on debian that's still geared towards beginners and isn't too bloated).

My Tweets, Wordpress Blog, My Statuses, My Formspring.me & Videos (Viddler), (Dailymotion), (YouTube Partner channel)

Global Posts
    5,961 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead777 View Post
    I use my own Business Domain for my main business contact email address. So the BIS plan is even more a downer for me because I would also loose a GRANDFATHER UNLIMITED ATT PLAN. Not that I use it over two 2gig a month but still I dont like the idea of loosing features because I upgraded. Thats wrong and any can tell why. DOOM on all of you if you carry out this greedy plan. I just hope my none @att.blackberry.net email performs as well on the BIS . I want to keep my grandfather unlimited plan.

Yeah I use a POP email with network solutions right now with my own domain. I dont need problems with that. ???
    This is a moot point if you are currently using a BB phone. You are already using BIS but don't know it. This announcement was simply stating that they will be continuing to do what they were.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,939 Global Posts
    PIN
    Implying I still use a BB...

I honestly can't see RIM charging an extra chunk of change on top of data plans for their services anymore, not when Android/iOS are doing the same thing without an added cost to the consumer and a much more massive marketshare.
    GOD'S IN HIS HEAVEN, ALL'S RIGHT WITH THE WORLD

PIN

RIM never said they'd add an extra amount to the same data plan you're using or for new customers. The carriers do that.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,939 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    RIM never said they'd add an extra amount to the same data plan you're using or for new customers. The carriers do that.
    If RIM charges a set price for the BIS services and the carriers pass that cost onto their customers then consumers are paying a higher cost for no reason. You really only see this on prepaid devices and its about a 10 dollar difference usually for "BlackBerry Data", and this is where Android has crushed RIM.

Do you honestly believe that the vast majority of consumers would pay a premium for Blackberry data over a generic data plan for iOS or Android?

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by devildrifterX View Post
    If RIM charges a set price for the BIS services and the carriers pass that cost onto their customers then consumers are paying a higher cost for no reason. You really only see this on prepaid devices and its about a 10 dollar difference usually for "BlackBerry Data", and this is where Android has crushed RIM. Do you honestly believe that the vast majority of consumers would pay a premium for Blackberry data over a generic data plan for iOS or Android?
    The big three in canada are ripping off customers with those charges. Wind and Mobilicity aren't. Probably the same for other big carriers in the states.RIM isn't getting crushed. I don't think the average consumer even cares or gets worried. The carriers handle everything.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,939 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    The big three in canada are ripping off customers with those charges. Wind and Mobilicity aren't. Probably the same for other big carriers in the states.RIM isn't getting crushed. I don't think the average consumer even cares or gets worried. The carriers handle everything.
    For the price conscious wise RIM is taking a beating, remember when RIM used to run the prepaid/lowcost game, then they got ousted by Android.

I haven't used a BB device in years but i haven't seen a BB Data plan since my 9530 days on VZW to be honest. I'm pretty sure none of the big 3 have a BB data plan anymore, but i do think T-Mobile used to have a minimum data plan to use a BlackBerry on it, not sure if thats true or not since its been a year or more since i had seen that.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,397 Global Posts

Recently I changed my plans to the AT&T shared data plans as it meant a substantial savings for me. On that plan now a smartphone is a smartphone it doesn't matter who makes it it's a set fee to add a smartphone regardless of make to the plan, which now includes unlimited talk and text and free hot spot, which was previously an added cost.

As I would understand it then, wouldn't AT&T have incentive to push me to a phone other than a BlackBerry as it would save the cost of the BIS plan they would then have to pay to RIM? In fact the 2 "major" USA carriers have gone to this kind of plan as I understand it Verizon subscribes to the same "a smartphone is a smartphone" plan so this would be a consideration for them as well? I think this is some of the reason we hear that behind the scenes RIM is being pressured by carriers to reduce/eliminate the fee.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by devildrifterX View Post
    For the price conscious wise RIM is taking a beating, remember when RIM used to run the prepaid/lowcost game, then they got ousted by Android.

I haven't used a BB device in years but i haven't seen a BB Data plan since my 9530 days on VZW to be honest. I'm pretty sure none of the big 3 have a BB data plan anymore, but i do think T-Mobile used to have a minimum data plan to use a BlackBerry on it, not sure if thats true or not since its been a year or more since i had seen that.
    AT&T most definitely still has a "BlackBerry Data" plan. I'm on it. They do not charge extra for it beyond their regular data rates. They offer the same tiered data plans as they do for other smartphones, call them the various BlackBerry Data plans, but don't charge one cent more for them. My plan is still a grandfathered unlimited plan for $30 a month.

I don't think any of the other big US carriers ever did either. So you can't say that the cost of BIS had an effect in the US, because there was no cost.

BES, was, and still is, different. That is an added cost. On AT&T, it was an additional $15 a month over normal data plans
    Banned

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Where I am, it costs upwards of 20 dollars for a BASIC blackberry plan on top of a standard carrier data plan. 20 x 24 months = $480. I was really hoping they would drop BIS oh well
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AE49F77

Ya know what folks.....I have two phones, one adroid, and one BB. Both on similar plans, and cost the SAME with the same carrier. Your mileage may differ, yada yada. It is a competitive marketplace, and I cannot believe things would be that out of wack for one platform over another.
    Q 10 for the win!
    now on leak 10.3.0.1154 via Sachesi
    pebble watch
    Playbook 64 gb wifi retired
    Galaxy tab4 5.0 given to me free
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

That's the problem. Blackberry data plans here cost roughly the same but give about half the benefits of the equivalent normal data plan.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,343 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chaddeus View Post
    Personally, I find that if I have an iPhone or Android or whatever phone, I can basically go overseas and get their regular dataplan and I am ready to check my emails and chat on Whatsapp.

The current Blackberry Data plan is a bit troublesome as some network don't support Blackberry. Even those that support may not have a prepaid blackberry data plan. I am not an Blackberry Engineer or whatever so I am not sure about RIM infrastructure but I would hope that they would have a two tier pricing.

First you pay a certain amount to RIM and then you can get a regular dataplan. In that case, when I roam, I still have the RIM Dataplan and I can just get a regular data plan and enjoy all the benefits from a Blackberry phone. Of course, your network provider could just offer simple bundle Blackberry + Regular Data Plan tied together but when you are roaming, you just need to get a Regular Data Plan.

- Charles
    This is what NEEDS to happen.

As long as you have a bis account with your home carrier, inserting a regular prepaid data sim if your out of county should allow you access to bis.

Rim needs to allow prepaid Sims that doesn't have a blackberry plan the ability, through pin or bbid, to access bis.

I am overseas now and I carry two phones because if I stick a prepaid sim in my 9900, lose access to bis which means no push email, no bbm, no apps that are bis only. I turn off the network and data roaming on the 9900 and can still access bis through wifi.

If I can access bis through wifi, why can't I access bis through a non blackberry prepaid sim?

I oWn 4 blackberries and 2 playbook and am holding out for bb10. But if rim doesn't fix this, I'm afraid I gotta move on.
    Banned

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

Bb10 data plan on any of the carrier will be cheap
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345