Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default "BlackBerry Data" plan required for BB10

BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha A and B – What Developers Need To Know «BlackBerry Developer Blog

"Should you decide to get a microSIM for your Dev Alpha, you do not need to have “BlackBerry Data” turned on for the account. Connectivity will be work with regular Internet access alone. There may be some carriers where data connectivity doesn’t work, but Wi-Fi will work for you in that case. Please note that this is the case just for the Dev Alpha device and not BlackBerry 10 launch devices, which will need to have BlackBerry data on the wireless plan."

This is the first official confirmation we've received of something BIS-esque carrying over to BB10, isn't it? Good for RIM revenues if they can continue that business model.
    Last edited by mcmolineux; 10-29-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Alex_Hong (10-29-2012) 
    bluetroll and sf49ers like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,525 Global Posts

Default Re: "Blackberry Data" plan required for BB10

First that I've heard. This is interesting...I can't read the document right now, but I'll check it out later.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

That makes sense, the carriers still need to direct requests to the RIM Network Operations Centre.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by djenkins6 View Post
    That makes sense, the carriers still need to direct requests to the RIM Network Operations Centre.
    Why?
    CrackBerry Genius

RIM really needs to give us some details as to what the new BIS looks like...

Global Posts
    5,285 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

What I'm thinking is that for now, all Dev Alpha devices can still connect to BIS, because there's an indicator that looks suspiciously like it would be for BIS. If I had to guess I'd say that it's open for free (for now).

I find it kind of intriguing that you can connect to it over Wi-Fi.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,525 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    What I'm thinking is that for now, all Dev Alpha devices can still connect to BIS, because there's an indicator that looks suspiciously like it would be for BIS. If I had to guess I'd say that it's open for free (for now).

I find it kind of intriguing that you can connect to it over Wi-Fi.
    It's not going through a carrier NOC, unless RIM is paying a single carrier to accept all NOC traffic from all carriers. It is more likely some sort of proxy that's redirecting "BIS" (for lack of a better term ATM) traffic directly to a test server of some sort.

I'm still interested in whether or not the NOC will still exist for Bb10 devices. I know carriers were not fond of it, and haing to have a separate BIS data plan for BB10 is going to hurt for people switching between different devices.

Global Posts
    5,285 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    It's not going through a carrier NOC, unless RIM is paying a single carrier to accept all NOC traffic from all carriers. It is more likely some sort of proxy that's redirecting "BIS" (for lack of a better term ATM) traffic directly to a test server of some sort.

I'm still interested in whether or not the NOC will still exist for Bb10 devices. I know carriers were not fond of it, and haing to have a separate BIS data plan for BB10 is going to hurt for people switching between different devices.
    My point kinda WAS that the traffic isn't going through a carrier NOC. That doesn't mean BIS is dead. How do you think BBM is going to work?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,525 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    My point kinda WAS that the traffic isn't going through a carrier NOC. That doesn't mean BIS is dead. How do you think BBM is going to work?
    Proxy. How do you think it's going to work on the Playbook?
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,023 Global Posts

Default "Blackberry Data" plan required for BB10

Why wouldn't it need a bb data plan its not going to be offered as a regular smart phone data plan. Lol it still needs to route through bb servers therefore the need for the extra code added on to the smartphone data plan making it BB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

I read that today and it made me really frustrated. As a Canadian that travels often to the States, I try to limit my (BIS compressed) roaming data, however my BlackBerry is useless with I turn roaming data off and leave wifi on, nothing happens, so I end up forced to leave the roam data on and usually end up incurring some fees here and there.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,525 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by inthemix9 View Post
    Why wouldn't it need a bb data plan its not going to be offered as a regular smart phone data plan. Lol it still needs to route through bb servers therefore the need for the extra code added on to the smartphone data plan making it BB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Do you have proof of this, or are you just guessing? What is "extra code added to the smartphone data plan" supposed to mean?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,060 Global Posts

It doesn't surprise me that the carriers would want to force customers into a data plan.
    BB10 Powered by QNX RTOS.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BaconMunch View Post
    I read that today and it made me really frustrated. As a Canadian that travels often to the States, I try to limit my (BIS compressed) roaming data, however my BlackBerry is useless with I turn roaming data off and leave wifi on, nothing happens, so I end up forced to leave the roam data on and usually end up incurring some fees here and there.
    1. Unlock your phone.
    2. Buy a data plan (or prepaid data plan) with simcard.
    3. Install simcard in BB phone.
    4. Now your connect and can use you phone.

Thats what i did when i wen to Domenican Replubic last year, was in contact with my office, i know was bad mistake lol
    CrackBerry Abuser

I think RIM will probably continue to require mandatory BIS connection for cellular customers, but repackage the services as a premium package for Wifi, or even PC customers.

Imagine a "BlackBerry Plus" (or BB+) package for WiFi PlayBook/PC (or even Mac, iPhone, Android), providing:

Secure Push E-mail
    BBM
    BBM integrated Video Chat
    May be throw in BBM Music in there too?

BB10 should come included with BB+ as it requires cellular plans with BIS. For WiFi or PC customers that do not have a BlackBerry, they could easily pay $5+/mo for those services, especially the first 2.

The fee for WiFi/PC should be waived as long as you have an active BlackBerry cellular contract with BIS on the same BBID.

Unfortunately that will probably mean some PlayBook WiFi users will have to pay up for the premium services, UNLESS they already have a parallel cellular BIS plan... I think this is the most logical way for RIM's business model to evolve.
    Last edited by VeGiTo; 10-29-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    CrackBerry Master

As I hypothesized earlier, tie the plan to a BBID. If people want to connect to it through wifi, make it accessible through a web app directly from the web. Then charge Playbook users $4 or $5/month via credit card to use it if they don't have a BB data plan. Maybe even charge non BB users if you write an app for Android and Crapple tablets.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,525 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timmy t View Post
    As I hypothesized earlier, tie the plan to a BBID. If people want to connect to it through wifi, make it accessible through a web app directly from the web. Then charge Playbook users $4 or $5/month via credit card to use it if they don't have a BB data plan. Maybe even charge non BB users if you write an app for Android and Crapple tablets.
    Charge your customers for something that your competition offers for free...that must be taken right from the pages of Economics 101.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Charge your customers for something that your competition offers for free...that must be taken right from the pages of Economics 101.
    I'm sorry, but no competitor is getting real push e-mail for free. Implementations on Android and Apple use polling on ActiveSync to mimic push which hurts battery life significantly.

Also, BBM on the NOC architecture explains most of the out-performance BBM has over other messaging services like What's App. You thought the outcry on the BB outage was bad? Other messaging services are so unreliable that frequent outages/undelivered messages are expected as a matter of course.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    BBM is useless to me. Now I can't delete it!

Default "Blackberry Data" plan required for BB10

No other cell phone uses a NOC or BIS. So the competition does not have it. You need to read up some more.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Verizon Z10 STL100-4 OS: v10.2.1.2141
    Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526
    J.C. BlackBerry, What's your game?
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

Hopefully if it does require a bb data plan it'll still work perfectly on wifi without a sim card.

Currently iPhones & Androids without simcard = Exactly the same, but without the phone/sms/data. AKA an 'ipod touch'.
    Blackberry without simcard = paperweight. Can't even use wifi to connect to the internet.

Hopefully a BB10 without a sim card will be like an ipod touch (or playbook) as well without any artificial limitations placed on it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Do you have proof of this, or are you just guessing? What is "extra code added to the smartphone data plan" supposed to mean?
    lol. It "makes it BB" apparently.

Remember to RTFM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Concession View Post
    Hopefully if it does require a bb data plan it'll still work perfectly on wifi without a sim card.

Currently iPhones & Androids without simcard = Exactly the same, but without the phone/sms/data. AKA an 'ipod touch'.
    Blackberry without simcard = paperweight. Can't even use wifi to connect to the internet.

Hopefully a BB10 without a sim card will be like an ipod touch (or playbook) as well without any artificial limitations placed on it.
    I don't know what's up with your data plan/setup - but I can use my decommissioned 9900 over Wi-Fi without a SIM card in it. Able to browse the internet, use Twitter applications etc, just data-critical applications like BBM will not work as the phone is not on BIS. The CB guys used to prove this works all the time via unboxing videos/reviews before putting a SIM card in the phone.
    Remember to RTFM.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,983 Global Posts

As long as I get the same, efficient International use experience that no other platform can touch like I get with BBOS now, I have no problems with this. BIS and the Blackberry Data Plans make this possible now.
    CrackBerry User

What I'm curious to know is if my current BlackBerry Data Plan will be able to be seamlessly used for BB10.
    Of course, a lot of you are thinking "Well, that would be up to your carrier more so than RIM.", but I would assume that RIM would probably have some say in how that will work.

Any thoughts?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by Concession View Post

I don't find that to be the case. I just tried a 9650 that we use for traveling that doesn't currently have a line associated with it and I could surf the web, etc. I pulled the SIM out of my 9900 and could surf the web, upload using the PhotoBucket app and use other web enabled apps. I even deleted some work emails and reconciled my Inbox, all over wifi.
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
    recompile likes this.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast