Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,902 Global Posts

Ok so in light of evidence from the Burn on the boys hand, the kid was playing with matches and got too close to his brothers phone. Pop!
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    PIN
    non ya fn

Man if this happens with a low end curve imagine what A series could do....TO THE ENTIRE EASTERN SEABOARD!!!!

Gimme a break there are more holes in the story than a golf course. RIM attorney are gonna eat this up!!
    jon4400 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask/PM me

I dislike being cynic unless I'm poking fun.

Blackberry curve 9320 explodes, injures boy-lucius.jpg Blackberry curve 9320 explodes, injures boy-uk-9320.jpg

First image that came to my mind. Couldn't help but notice the resemblance. Maybe this is why it exploded XD
    Nokia 5100 > Nokia 3390 > Motorola T720i > Siemens M55 > Sony Ericsson k700i > Nokia N73 > BB Pearl 8110 > BB 9000 > BB 9700 > BB 9900
    PB 16GB
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,091 Global Posts

Lol, too funny, nice find. So ......... Was momma in the kitchen making tea or microwaving a phone,lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerry Guy View Post
    This kind of reminds me of the exploding Galaxy S3 story from earlier this year where it was later found out that someone had deliberately nuked the phone.

Samsung Galaxy S III didn't explode, it was caused by an "external energy source" like a microwave | MobileSyrup.com
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerry Guy View Post
    This kind of reminds me of the exploding Galaxy S3 story from earlier this year where it was later found out that someone had deliberately nuked the phone.

Samsung Galaxy S III didn't explode, it was caused by an "external energy source" like a microwave | MobileSyrup.com
    LOL, I do know a guy who got his 8900 wet and stuck it in the microwave to dry it up
    Stewartj1 and bungaboy like this.
    CrackBerry User

In general, it is possible for a Lithium-Ion battery to catch fire. The catch is that Lithium-Ion batteries burn very quick and very hot. This can happen for 2 reasons, the battery itself is faulty or the charging device does not stop the charging process. I have witnessed several Lithium-Ion fires when I was involved with remote controlled airplanes. Most fires happened during the charging process but some also during extreme high discharge.
    I'm not saying the story is true or not true, just that from a technical point of view there is a possibility that it happened.
    CrackBerry Addict

FYI, this has been pretty much forgotten about in the british press already. Apparently someone is pregnant and they are more concerned about that.
    oil.....is it really worth it?
    Thanked by:
    howarmat (12-06-2012) 

Global Posts
    13,061 Global Posts
    PIN
    With Needle

Quote Originally Posted by wuulfy View Post
    FYI, this has been pretty much forgotten about in the british press already. Apparently someone is pregnant and they are more concerned about that.
    My goodness, what got into her?
    "Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Tank Pilot)
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    LOL, I do know a guy who got his 8900 wet and stuck it in the microwave to dry it up
    I heard of a similar story to that and the person claimed their phone had just burned up, but the manufacturer was able to carry out forensic analysis on the phone that proved from the manner of the burn patterns that it had been caused by a microwave and not happened spontaneously.

Any company is going to take this stuff very seriously and would want to examine the device in question because the important thing for them would be to ensure that there was not some endemic defect in that product as they would clearly want to do a recall if one was needed rather than risk harming anyone else and this idea that the people making the claim should not hand it over just seems somewhat silly.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yes, all manufacturers perform recalls on defective products.. Like oxycontin. Or maybe just read "Unsafe at any Speed".

Perhaps RIM is above the rest, but the ITU and the TPP aren't acronyms that interest me because the world is warm and fuzzy.

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Highly doubt it was the curve to blame. Knockoff battery for sure AND I think if water of any kind was spilled on it, or got to it, caused the short. Iftbhe family refuses to provide the battery and charger, it is safe to assume they were trying to slander research in motion. Never have I had a device explode. Ever.
    Flamers, don't even try, I have my waterhose ready
    GNU/Linux distros of choice: Ubuntu, Mint (or anything based on debian that's still geared towards beginners and isn't too bloated).

My Tweets, Wordpress Blog, My Statuses, My Formspring.me & Videos (Viddler), (Dailymotion), (YouTube Partner channel)

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj1 View Post
    I fully agree. The phone in the kids hand isn't even a BlackBerry. It looks more like a feature phone.
    I have the same feeling. Just a jealous family that cannot afford it, wants to slander rim to get some free blackberry. SHAME on them if that is true.
    Flamers, don't even try, I have my waterhose ready
    GNU/Linux distros of choice: Ubuntu, Mint (or anything based on debian that's still geared towards beginners and isn't too bloated).

My Tweets, Wordpress Blog, My Statuses, My Formspring.me & Videos (Viddler), (Dailymotion), (YouTube Partner channel)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,769 Global Posts

I propose a scenario:
    1. Phone gets damaged or lost, most likely by the boy doiung something stupid. or maybe it was never a Curve in the first place just a cheap phone that the boy considred inferior to the curve 9320 (which a BB hater couldn't count on his or her hand).
    2. Not wanting to pay for a new phone, boy or mom conspire to attempt to get a replacement due to design flaw
    3. boy or mom burns the curve (or something else), possibly on a gas stove, in an attempt attempt to make it look like it spontaneously caught fire
    4. after RIM requested evidence proving the phone was defective, boy and mom (or tricked mom) go to news outlets to try to shame RIM into replacing the phone, not realizing the implications and how widespread the news story would spread.

Now, what is the plausibility of this scenario?
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > WebOS > iOS > Android > Symbian > Meego
    Jake Storm likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,626 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH A LOAF

Quote Originally Posted by grahamf View Post
    I propose a scenario:
    1. Phone gets damaged or lost, most likely by the boy doiung something stupid. or maybe it was never a Curve in the first place just a cheap phone that the boy considred inferior to the curve 9320 (which a BB hater couldn't count on his or her hand).
    2. Not wanting to pay for a new phone, boy or mom conspire to attempt to get a replacement due to design flaw
    3. boy or mom burns the curve (or something else), possibly on a gas stove, in an attempt attempt to make it look like it spontaneously caught fire
    4. after RIM requested evidence proving the phone was defective, boy and mom (or tricked mom) go to news outlets to try to shame RIM into replacing the phone, not realizing the implications and how widespread the news story would spread.

Now, what is the plausibility of this scenario?
    Highly plausible.
    CrackBerry Abuser

What? The carrier knows what phone you are using. That would be the dumbest scam in the world.

Global Posts
    6,610 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know

Default Re: Blackberry curve 9320 explodes, injures boy

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    Sad that stuff like this happens, but fortunately it's very rare. There's been a few alleged cases like that of iPhones too. Think about how many of these devices are in use in general and you'll realize how unlikely this is to happen to you with any mobile device.

Did iPhone 'explode' in 17-year-old's pocket? | Apple - CNET News
    Second iPhone 'explodes' - Telegraph
    iPhone Explodes on Australian Flight | The Province
    Nexus 7 explodes in China, Asus runs to rescue | Crave - CNET
    I wish people would stop posting the airplane one - the iphone had been third party repaired by a non apple authorized shop and they left a loose screw in it that punctured the battery. Not the iphone's fault.

I am seeing the irony of the excuses and laws of physics being bent to excuse the BB story, but the above stories are carted out at fact even after they've been proven incorrect.

Flowed from mah heart using SwiftKey Flow Beta from the Galaxy S3, jellybean style
    bk1022 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    I wish people would stop posting the airplane one - the iphone had been third party repaired by a non apple authorized shop and they left a loose screw in it that punctured the battery. Not the iphone's fault.

I am seeing the irony of the excuses and laws of physics being bent to excuse the BB story, but the above stories are carted out at fact even after they've been proven incorrect.

Flowed from mah heart using SwiftKey Flow Beta from the Galaxy S3, jellybean style
    Why should they stop posting it? It just shows that the device was used in a non-recommended manner and that could be the case with this BlackBerry as well. They could have used a 3rd party battery, had it repaired, changed housings, customized it, etc.

I for one think it was a 3rd party battery. I bought one for my 9000 Bold and didn't use when I saw that the battery housing didn't line up 100%. I did use it test light bulbs but it got hot fast. I recycled it quickly.

Global Posts
    6,610 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know

Default Re: Blackberry curve 9320 explodes, injures boy

Quote Originally Posted by Jerky223 View Post
    Why should they stop posting it? It just shows that the device was used in a non-recommended manner and that could be the case with this BlackBerry as well. They could have used a 3rd party battery, had it repaired, changed housings, customized it, etc.

I for one think it was a 3rd party battery. I bought one for my 9000 Bold and didn't use when I saw that the battery housing didn't line up 100%. I did use it test light bulbs but it got hot fast. I recycled it quickly.
    That's not the way is been used though. It's usually hauled out to talk about how bad apple is and how the media covers it up (the never ending media bias stupidity). The fact that it wasn't apples shoddy workmanship is conveniently left out.

CrackBerry Master

Default Blackberry curve 9320 explodes, injures boy

Has there been any update to this? The only reports I can find, other than speculation, are the originals from the beginning of December. Is it generally accepted this was a con? One thing I now realise after reading through the various reports is that the family told RIM that the phone had been disposed of BEFORE they went to the press and shots were taken of the boy holding up the supposed phone. Any news?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    I have three

Not that I have seen. Like all of the story of this kind, they are dead after the initial schock value and they never bother to follow up with more facts. that would beboring and not sell any papers.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,105 Global Posts

My phone exploded last night while I was sleeping and it turned into a Rolls Royce. I literally woke up and there was a freakin car tire next to my pillow. I was like "WOAH". I'm keeping it a secret though because I don't want people to come and steal it from me so I haven't bothered with notifying the press.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by BThunderW View Post
    LOL. Guys, The Sun is a sensationalist tabloid. It's got as much credibility as the US The National Enquirer
    The Sun (United Kingdom) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

Any update on this story?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

Apple paid the lawyer and family off as planned and destroyed the "evidence." Just a rumor, of course...

Ok, not really. But I was wondering the same thing. Lots of coverage with parrots repeating the same story, then not a peep. Thanks for pulling up this thread.
    Last edited by Brianflys; 02-18-2013 at 12:30 AM. Reason: More pithy stuff
    New Z30 -- BlackSheep and Proud!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,769 Global Posts

I seem to recall someone saying that a cellphone carrier offered them a new phone, but it was a vague blurb from an unconfirmed source.
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > WebOS > iOS > Android > Symbian > Meego
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast