09-05-13 12:41 PM
43 12
tools
    Given the source, among other things, noteworthy:

For BlackBerry, Bad News in the Microsoft-Nokia Marriage

By IAN AUSTEN

OTTAWA If misery loves company, BlackBerry had a friend in Nokia while both companies were struggling to adapt to a changed mobile phone world.

But Microsofts purchase of Nokias handset and services business, some analysts said on Monday, may now make it harder for BlackBerry to find its own savior and will only underscore the Canadian companys fundamental problems.

BlackBerry always looked small fry, said Nick Spencer, the senior practice director for ABI Research in London. Now they look even more small fry. Theyre up against three of the biggest companies in the world.

Once the dominant maker of smartphones, BlackBerry has spent the last couple of years vying with Microsofts Windows Phone operating system for third place in a market overwhelmingly dominated by Apples iPhones and phones using Googles Android operating system. The general indifference that greeted a new line of BlackBerrys introduced earlier this year, along with a new, more sophisticated BlackBerry operating system, led the company to say last month that it is exploring strategic options including a sale.

Reports, which were never confirmed, said Microsoft had at least kicked BlackBerrys tires at some point but decided not to bid for the company. But its purchase of Nokia, which had already adopted Windows Phone for its handsets, rules out any slim hope that Microsofts wealth and other resources might provide a solution to BlackBerrys problems.

While Mr. Spencer believes that BlackBerry is most likely to be broken into separate pieces of varying interest to buyers, he said the Microsoft transaction could provide BlackBerry with a new, if slim, hope for salvation. Apple, like BlackBerry, has always designed and controlled both its handsets and operating system. Google acquired Motorola just over a year ago. With the Nokia purchase, Windows Phone is also allied to a hardware brand.

That makes Samsung, which mainly uses Android in its market-leading handsets, the odd man out, Mr. Spencer said. There is, he said, the possibility that it might consider buying BlackBerry if it also decides end-to-end software and hardware is the way to go.

But Samsung is already a member of a consortium creating a new platform known as Tizen, and, perhaps as a warning to Google, its executives have suggested that the company has big plans for that operating system.

The exceptional financial strength Microsoft brings to Nokia may also make it more difficult for BlackBerry to go private through a private equity buyout. Several Canadian news media outlets have reported that Fairfax Financial Holdings of Toronto, which is BlackBerrys largest institutional shareholder, is trying to form a consortium to buy the company. But that might leave BlackBerry in a similar position as Chrysler after it was taken private by a group led by Cerberus Capital. Undercapitalized, Chrysler was forced into bankruptcy and a government bailout after the auto market slumped in 2008.

The additional resources Microsoft is putting into this business, that might be the bigger problem for BlackBerry, said Brian Colello, a technology analyst at Morningstar. This deal has to be considered a negative for BlackBerry.

Read more at http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...okia-marriage/
    09-03-13 02:01 PM
    I would not want Samsung buying BlackBerry. I believe that pairing would be perceived negatively in some secure agencies and corporations.
    BerryWizard likes this.
    09-03-13 02:07 PM
    I would not want Samsung buying BlackBerry. I believe that pairing would be perceived negatively in some secure agencies and corporations.
    That depends. If Samsung were to absolutely move away from and disavow Android as their OS of choice and switch to QNX/BB10 via partnership or acquisition, that would send a very clear message as to how serious they are. Honestly that is pretty much the only scenario I'd be comfortable with given the current industry players involved, aside from BB going private and seeing things through on their own.
    09-03-13 02:18 PM
    That depends. If Samsung were to absolutely move away from and disavow Android as their OS of choice and switch to QNX/BB10 via partnership or acquisition, that would send a very clear message as to how serious they are. Honestly that is pretty much the only scenario I'd be comfortable with given the current industry players involved, aside from BB going private and seeing things through on their own.
    Quicker just to throw money in a giant pit and set fire to it - in the short-term there is absolutely no chance of them doing this - forking it maybe, dropping it, no chance not at the moment.
    JeepBB, badiyee, Alex_Hong and 2 others like this.
    09-03-13 02:19 PM
    That is the wrong way of looking at it if BB loses a few corp clients so be it. Samsung taking over it's the worse thing to happen.
    1. BB stock holders get paid
    2. Samsung instantly adds hardware backing to blackberry
    3. Samsung could release an android phone under the blackberry brand (if they choose) to help the brand in the consumer market
    4. Samsung clearly wants Corporate and Government contracts and Blackberry gives them instant certification.

On point 4 Samsung could easily offer BlackBerry as niche phone only to governments and corporate clients with BES10. They already have an app store separate from google play which they could offer apps. And this point can't be stressed enough Samsung is big enough to force carriers to update the software. While IT hates a lot of updates we do want them.

Also with the android player something Samsung is already doing with Tizen BB set itself up perfectly for this type of takeover. At least software wise.
    09-03-13 02:22 PM
    Well, if we're talking pie in the sky, I'd still rather a 3-way BB Amazon Sony mashup. Blamazony.

Of course, then the fear would be that Amazon and Sony ditch BB as the annoying friend intruding on their date..
    Alex_Hong, szlevi and Thunderbuck like this.
    09-03-13 02:25 PM
    When you put it in the perspective of facing off against 3 of the biggest companies in the world, $3 B in cash doesn't seem so much. I'm lost as to has this can be spun into a positive for BBRY.
    09-03-13 02:27 PM
    Quicker just to throw money in a giant pit and set fire to it - in the short-term there is absolutely no chance of them doing this - forking it maybe, dropping it, no chance not at the moment.
    I agree. I'm not even sure why this piece mentioned the possibility. Samsung's long-term hedge against anything Google might do with Android is Tizen. It's not going anywhere right now, but the Tizen board has a bunch of heavy hitters (Intel, LG, Panasonic) and as a relatively open source project that currently has unknown and unrealized potential, it's a much better hedge than BB10.
    09-03-13 03:09 PM
    I agree. I'm not even sure why this piece mentioned the possibility. Samsung's long-term hedge against anything Google might do with Android is Tizen. It's not going anywhere right now, but the Tizen board has a bunch of heavy hitters (Intel, LG, Panasonic) and as a relatively open source project that currently has unknown and unrealized potential, it's a much better hedge than BB10.
    Maybe but the only real heavy hitter I see there for developing software is Intel. And their track record of getting things done on time is about as good as BlackBerry. Not to mention Hauwei being a member and that will get picked apart by any government agency outside of China.
    09-03-13 03:13 PM
    I agree with you although i do believe you have touted Knox as being just as secure as blackberry in the past. I could be wrong though.
    09-03-13 03:19 PM
    I agree, it isn't likely. But if Samsung is going to show that they're serious going forward in the enterprise space, they'll not be doing it on the strength - tongue firmly in cheek here - of Android. Nobody will take them seriously.

Aside from which, there have already been signs that not all is well in Samsung-Google-land.

Well, if we're talking pie in the sky, I'd still rather a 3-way BB Amazon Sony mashup. Blamazony.

Of course, then the fear would be that Amazon and Sony ditch BB as the annoying friend intruding on their date..
    LOL @ "Blamazony". Nice one.

I wouldn't want Sony anywhere near BBRY, that's a disaster. Amazon is a nice option but they'd be brand new to the mobile/smartphone space, whereas Samsung has the experience and a lot more potential for synergy in other spaces(phone/tablet/tv/home appliances/automotive/etc)...and crucially if BB's QNX is the foundation for it all, do so securely.

This "internet of things" scenario that's being pushed in the last few years is already a sketchy proposition as it is...imagine if it were all based on Android and how utterly loony that would be.
    09-03-13 03:21 PM
    This isn't "news" at all. It's analysis. It may bear out, it may not.

I can tell you that companies like HTC and Samsung who HAVE been making Windows Phones stand a pretty good chance of throwing in the towel on that platform and there's an outside chance they'll look at licensing BB10 to provide a little diversity.
    potatoguy and Geeoff like this.
    09-03-13 03:28 PM
    This isn't "news" at all. It's analysis. It may bear out, it may not.

I can tell you that companies like HTC and Samsung who HAVE been making Windows Phones stand a pretty good chance of throwing in the towel on that platform and there's an outside chance they'll look at licensing BB10 to provide a little diversity.
    This would be nice.
    09-03-13 03:33 PM
    only time will tell where BB will end up. They rose to fame slowly, they fell from grace slowly, so they will rise again slowly..... maybe. But I think the security part of the business is something that they have in their favor. It might be a carrot for another company to buy them out or partner .
    09-03-13 03:55 PM
    I agree with you although i do believe you have touted Knox as being just as secure as blackberry in the past. I could be wrong though.
    Just as good no. Good enough, yes.
    Agency needs determine what level of security is needed. Knox along with custom apps may be needed for a particular agency or may be good enough.

The most robust security is BlackBerry on the stringest BES configurations.

If samsung/knox were just as good I wouldn't be in the fight I'm in trying to keep BlackBerry at my place.

Look back through my posts if you like. There are many nuances when it comes to mobile solutions for secure agencies. If it were just as good I'd be relaxed and cool as a cucumber toting my work issued SGIV on knox.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 09-03-13 at 07:04 PM. Reason: typo
    Thunderbuck and Alex_Hong like this.
    09-03-13 04:10 PM
    I do not think it would be viewed negatively as Knox has been approved for Government use
    09-03-13 04:34 PM
    I agree, it isn't likely. But if Samsung is going to show that they're serious going forward in the enterprise space, they'll not be doing it on the strength - tongue firmly in cheek here - of Android. Nobody will take them seriously.
    People who post on CB can fail to take Android seriously. The US DoD is not. They are helping to get Knox to standard. So, while it may be cute to say (over and over again), it simply isn't based in fact or reality.

DISA guided Samsung Knox development - FierceMobileGovernment
    Etios likes this.
    09-03-13 04:34 PM
    That is the wrong way of looking at it if BB loses a few corp clients so be it. Samsung taking over it's the worse thing to happen.
    3. Samsung could release an android phone under the blackberry brand (if they choose) to help the brand in the consumer market
    4. Samsung clearly wants Corporate and Government contracts and Blackberry gives them instant certification.

On point 4 Samsung could easily offer BlackBerry as niche phone only to governments and corporate clients with BES10. They already have an app store separate from google play which they could offer apps. And this point can't be stressed enough Samsung is big enough to force carriers to update the software. While IT hates a lot of updates we do want them.

Also with the android player something Samsung is already doing with Tizen BB set itself up perfectly for this type of takeover. At least software wise.
    How exactly would Samsung force carriers to release updates.
    09-03-13 04:38 PM
    Why is this a "better hedge". In your own words "has unknown and unrealized potential".
    Webos had "unknown and unrealized potential".
    BB10 has "unknown and unrealized potential".
    A lot of things in various markets that never make it had "unknown and unrealized potential".

The fact that Intel, LG and Panasonic are part of the consortium doesn't grant it a sure path to success.

They'd be just one more squirrel with yet another OS trying to grab a nut.
    09-03-13 04:48 PM
    Living common law didn't make Nokia / microsoft successful so I fail to see how marriage will make it any better.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 04:48 PM
    I agree with your view on security. Sadly though for Blackberry there is really only one viable option they have left and that is to focus on the accounts they still service and emerging markets. Which means drastically discounting their products and services
    09-03-13 04:51 PM
    Thank you !
    That's what I keep repeating about the lenovo-bb deal and people are not listening. its like buying a mc Donald restaurant and than say you will no longer make hamburgers ( the gouvernement customers) why would you buy BlackBerry at first if it's to **** off a good chunk of its customers and loose by the same way that revenue ?

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 05:26 PM

Alright, you keep saying the reasons why BlackBerry need this deal. what about Samsung ? Why would they buy BlackBerry ? What is the only thing that BlackBerry succeed at And Samsung is still struggling to get their hands a piece of that cake ?
    The secure network, corporate customers, Government agencies.
    So if they buy BlackBerry, it would be only for that. Knowing that They will loose a lot of these customers who don't like having all their data in the hands of an Asian countrie for obvious political reasons, why would you buy them at the first place ?
    Better just set that money on fire like pointed out someone earlier.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 05:32 PM
    The major consequence is that anyone who thinks that this company can make it in the smartphone world, now, will not be able to raise the funds to take it private.
    09-03-13 05:56 PM
    This would be nice.
    Sorry but there isn't a hope in hell that HTC will open the can of worms that is BB...they are already struggling with Android and WP is just a side thing for them...you cannot underestimate the resources it takes to design a phone and meld an OS onto it...
    Samsung could do it but why? HTC just doesn't have the cash
    09-03-13 09:07 PM
43 12