Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BlackBerry 10 Receives FIPS Security Certification Ahead of Launch

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Nov. 8, 2012) - Research In Motion (RIM) (RIMM)(RIM.TO) today announced that the BlackBerry® 10 platform is now FIPS 140-2 certified. The certification will enable government agencies to deploy BlackBerry® 10 smartphones and BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10, RIM's new mobile enterprise management solution, from the day of launch. This is the first time BlackBerry products have been FIPS certified ahead of launch.
    FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standard) certification provides confidence to security-conscious organizations, including U.S. and Canadian government agencies, companies in regulated industries and other organizations dealing with sensitive information, that data stored on smartphones running BlackBerry 10 can be properly secured and encrypted.

"Achieving FIPS 140-2 certification means that BlackBerry 10 is ready to meet the strict security requirements of government agencies and enterprises at launch," said Michael K. Brown, Vice President, Security Product Management and Research at RIM. "What differentiates BlackBerry is that it integrates end-to-end security, and includes certified encryption algorithms for data at rest and data in transit. No other mobile solution has achieved the level of security accreditation that the BlackBerry solution has."

FIPS 140 is issued by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) to coordinate the requirements and standards for certifying cryptographic modules. The standard was developed through the Cryptographic Module Validation Program (CMVP), which certifies products for use by U.S. government agencies and regulated industries that collect, store, transfer, share and disseminate sensitive information. Product certifications under the CMVP are performed in accordance with the requirements of FIPS 140-2. It is supported by the Communications Security Establishment (CSE) for the Canadian government.
    "IDC expects the mobile enterprise security market to experience a high rate of growth from 2012 to 2016," said Stacy Crook, Program Manager for Mobile Enterprise research at IDC. "Maintaining the BlackBerry solution's reputation for security while introducing an enhanced user experience gives BlackBerry 10 the opportunity to be a highly competitive platform in the government, enterprise and consumer sectors."

BlackBerry products and solutions are protected by best-in-class AES 256-bit encryption, a highly secure, internationally recognized data protection standard. In addition to FIPS certifications, BlackBerry products have continuously passed rigorous security assessments from a variety of other independent organizations around the world. The BlackBerry® Enterprise Solution is the first mobile platform to achieve Common Criteria Certification, a standard recognized by 26 countries, as well as the first to receive approval through the CESG Assisted Product Scheme (CAPS), the National Technical Authority for Information Assurance in the United Kingdom. BlackBerry® 7 smartphones meet Common Criteria security assurance level EAL 4+. The BlackBerry® PlayBook™ is the first FIPS certified tablet for deployment within U.S. federal government agencies and certified for use by the Defence Signals Directorate of the Australian Government.

"Achieving FIPS certification for an entirely new platform in a very short period of time, and before launch, is quite remarkable and a testament to the dedication of our security team," said David MacFarlane, Director, Security Certifications at RIM. "BlackBerry 10 will deliver security, a superior user experience, the ability to separately manage corporate and personal data on the same device, and ease of manageability for IT managers in an enterprise or government environment."
    Some more good news.
    Thanked by 9:
    00stryder (11-07-2012),  antiRIM (11-08-2012),  Bobcat665 (11-08-2012),  Cesare21 (11-08-2012),  Dapper37 (11-07-2012),  DuexNoir (11-08-2012),  howarmat (11-08-2012),  Superfly_FR (11-08-2012),  zyben (11-08-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Default Re: BlackBerry 10 Receives FIPS Security Certification Ahead of Launch

This is BIG news! way to go RIM!
    Clearly RIM is a few steps ahead of where everyone thought they were if BB10 is FIPS certified already.
    The foundation is built! now to consruct the skyscraper...
    CrackBerry Genius

Perhaps we'll see Obama sporting a BB10 device for a little while before launch. Haha. This is indeed big news, but at the same time, not too surprising except the timing of it (months before launch).
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    dangerbird likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Great News! That might make those wimps jumping onto government i5's think again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

I wonder how/if this can lend its self to carrier testing, clearly the OS has passed some sringent tests already.
    CrackBerry Abuser

BOOYA!!!!!
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B5A11B6

great news indeed...
    now more governments will probably tie the knot with BB. and more reasons to get better secured apps for my future BB10. wow... can't wait.

Sent from my unsliding BB slider
    _______________jf

Wielding a BlackBerry STA100-2.

BBM#8
    for Random Quotes on motivations, health and wealth..

: subscribe to C001190A9
    CrackBerry Genius

Yep... It was inevitable...
    MY TAKE ON THE Z10... I DON'T KNOW HOW, OR WHY, BUT IT WORKS!!!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper37 View Post
    This is BIG news! way to go RIM!
    Clearly RIM is a few steps ahead of where everyone thought they were if BB10 is FIPS certified already.
    The foundation is built! now to consruct the skyscraper...
    Good news indeed. However, the pre-launch FIPS certification is likely only possible due to continual delays in releasing the BlackBerry 10 smartphones. In any event, this bodes well for organizations in the process of deciding whether to migrate their users to BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry Enterprise Server 10.
    Thanked by:
    beemaabeemababy (11-08-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Well, BB is will not be DOA. RIM is taking their OS to the next level. The competition will be coping and playing catchup for a long time. DYOD is great but IT professionals and consumers that what to ensure their data is safe. If future will be mobile payments thus turning a phone into a wallet then the phone better be secure. BB got it in spades and with the videos circulating on BB10 UI, BBis making in easy to choose BB10 as my next device.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

I don't get this certification. The Playbook is the only tablet that has FIPS certification, but most companies and Government agencies still use the iPad.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Quote Originally Posted by koolrosh View Post
    I don't get this certification. The Playbook is the only tablet that has FIPS certification, but most companies and Government agencies still use the iPad.
    The Prez has an Ipad, I dont think he has secure email or other things going through it! Not every gov item has to be secure. but the items that require security can only be sent through a BB or a higher security device! Higher security device would be one not availiable to the general public.
    CrackBerry Addict

great news for BB10 and RIM. Still, None can match.
    sent from anywhere
    @isatbb@isatbbplg
    #mybb10
    #BB10Believe
    Blog: bb10believe.blogspot.com

HONK! IF YOU WANT BLACKBERRY 10

9380, Black and White Z10, LG Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 520
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,324 Global Posts

Where did all the naysayers go from that government thread last week?
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    john_v and Cesare21 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Funny how RIMs BB10 is an entirly new platform and this is the second time with 2 seperate OS that they have acheived FIPS cert, yet the competition cant get it done!!

Global Posts
    9,327 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

FauXcette and Gloomberg must learn their A-B-C : it wasn't DOA, it was CBA : Certified Before Arrival.
    Spread the word, use your social media. Make this flood the interwebz and then -hopefully - watch the rally.
    Starting now : RIMM*After Hours Trading - NASDAQ.com
    #ourTurn
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

Another market the competition can't touch. The real battle will be with consumers, flashy new products can change things quickly when the rest are old, stale and stagnant. Innovate and adapt or get left behind. Go RIM and MS.

BB10's FIPS certification will mean that we can start ordering these devices right at launch. Which means that I can keep my head on my shoulders, after stopping the release of two separate requests for information at my agency when they wanted to explore something away from BB.
    Please God let them release on time. Please God don't let any rooting occur.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup

I wonder how/if this can lend its self to carrier testing, clearly the OS has passed some sringent tests already.
    Carrier testing is different....FIPS tests each new platform's security while carrier testing is more of systems acceptance, functional testing.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup

Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    Where did all the naysayers go from that government thread last week?
    You mean those who said that FIPS certification was required for BB10, independent of the Playbook, on its own merit? Right here.

You rang?
    Superfly_FR likes this.

The Prez has an Ipad, I dont think he has secure email or other things going through it! Not every gov item has to be secure. but the items that require security can only be sent through a BB or a higher security device! Higher security device would be one not availiable to the general public.
    Almost correct....the Sectera is available.

Have to get approval, but it is available.

Hideous bulky device, rated at Secret.

Three levels of approval for mobile transmissions...sensitive, secret, top secret.

Although approved for Top Secret is in progress, last i remember, in actual practice the dissemination of top secret over mobile is disallowed.

http://www.gdc4s.com/sectera-edge-(s...roddetail.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 11-08-2012 at 05:05 AM.
    Thanked by:
    Superfly_FR (11-08-2012) 
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,324 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    You mean those who said that FIPS certification was required for BB10, independent of the Playbook, on its own merit? Right here.

You rang?
    no thats not what i mean sorry
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    no thats not what i mean sorry
    All's well....

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    Almost correct....the Sectera is available.

Have to get approval, but it is available.

Hideous bulky device, rated at Secret.

Three levels of approval for mobile transmissions...sensitive, secret, top secret.

Although approved for Top Secret is in progress, last i remember, in actual practice the dissemination of top secret over mobile is disallowed.

Sectéra® Edge? (SME PED)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Would/could RIM make BB10 SECRET? I remember some rumours about it several months ago but surely with the obvious strength of their secruity, I would think that they could get it done. It certainly would take BB to the next level in government circles. I checked out that link and that (Sectera) is a beast of a device...not practical. Wouldn't it be sweet if you could have your secret enabled device for work but still slide in some facebook or heck even crackberry (shameless promotion) while you are between presidential meetings????

RIM could invest in pursuing Secret. However, it would mean a branching off from the current consumer and professional/sensitive certifications.

I don't know if the Sectera Edge has a browser.

FB and Twitter are not approved in our current devices.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast