Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts

Default Re: BlackBerry 10 Launch Event to be Held on January 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by berklon View Post
    Waaaaaay to early to have this much faith in Thorsten and say that he's turned RIM around.

RIM hasn't turned around until BB10 is on the market and is selling well and is gaining a sizeable market share back that it has lost.
    For some, "turning around" RIM means more than just the numbers and profits. It means the changing of the attitude of hubris to that of humility. It means going from no direction in terms of developer relations, to having dedicated development centers for start-ups, promotions, open-source development software, etc... It means going from questioning how BB10 will be any different from the PB OS (which it basically started out as based on the first videos of the earliest dev alpha devices) to what we have today, although perhaps that was a matter of having more time to develop. It means better media relations, such as reaching out to the founder of the number one BlackBerry fansite, and not walking out of interviews.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    Thanked by:
    the_kid_hartford (11-13-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,069 Global Posts

I want to see the N Series!!

- Charles
    Follow me on Twitter www.twitter.com/cthaddeus

Phone History : Nokia 3310 > Nokia 8250 > Nokia 3320 > Nokia 7210 > Sony Ericsson T610i > Sony Ericsson W810i > Nokia E71 > Nokia E72 > Blackberry 9700 > Blackberry 9800 > Blackberry 9900 > Blackberry Q10

PDA History : Compaq iPAQ 3630 > Playbook 64GB > Google Nexus 7 16GB

"Physical keyboard rules!!"
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,275 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chaddeus View Post

- Charles
    Plus one on that!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Wonderful, wonderful news....the slow moving train inches closer to the station.......This has been a very calculated delivery and Heins does deserve a tremendous amount of credit for what has taken place up to now..........
    "Every tradition constructed by human beings is subject to ossified arrogance, blinding pomposity and outright bigotry. That is true not just for Judaism, not just for Christianity, not just for Islam, it is true for secular traditions as well."

Dr. Cornel West
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by richardat View Post
    I will never understand comments to that effect over the previous months.....Thor, as of yet, has not done "anything"....arguably, there have been negatives....eg. BB10 delay, delayed updates, marketing gaffes. Now, I don't think those things are his "fault", and I think he has done a lot of housekeeping, some of it rather nasty ie. firing thousands. I also think, and I think this is what the praise is based on (along with sheer hope), that he has SAID the right things. As to RIM's overall ability to execute, well....the first big test is BB10...then we'll see. It's only the beginning if they hope to comeback....if it's relatively flawless, and gains traction, that's an entry into the race.....then they will have to deliver cycle after cycle...

I do think he's on the right track....whether everything/everyone else on the ship is in order....we'll see.
    You can make a very sizable and rather simple argument that without strong leadership and decision making, etc, we are not even here right now discussing the launch....that is a huge turnaround from where RIM was headed.
    "Every tradition constructed by human beings is subject to ossified arrogance, blinding pomposity and outright bigotry. That is true not just for Judaism, not just for Christianity, not just for Islam, it is true for secular traditions as well."

Dr. Cornel West
    Thunderbuck and Cesare21 like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

It's good that we finally get a confirmed date. But I wouldn't put my expectations too high because I know the higher expectation you have, the more disappointed you might get if it turns out the device release date is much longer. So I will be positive but skeptical.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the_kid_hartford View Post
    You can make a very sizable and rather simple argument that without strong leadership and decision making, etc, we are not even here right now discussing the launch....that is a huge turnaround from where RIM was headed.
    No, I disagree. I am not sure what sizeable arguments toward leadership and decision making you are referring. I did clearly acknowledge that:

I and I think he has done a lot of housekeeping, some of it rather nasty ie. firing thousands. I also think, and I think this is what the praise is based on (along with sheer hope), that he has SAID the right things. .
    So I did acknowledge for example his austerity measures. Although, to be very frank, I don't think that required any insight at all. In fact, it was a necessity that every analysts cried for. It is roughly the equivalent of Gail Vaz Oxlade coming into your house and saying: I cut back your budget because you would have lost your house in a year at the rate you were going.

Beyond the cut backs, I don't see particular evidence of vision or Thorsten initiated direction, though I would be happy to hear of all the ones you speak of. BB10, was of course initiated long before Thorsten took over. It's possible he may have turned down some partnerships....without knowing if any existed or what the deal might have been, there is nothing to think about there. He did decide not to change directions to Android but of course, that doesn't distinguish him from his predecessors (nor do we know, and probably never will be sure, if that was the right decision).

I am curious, where then do you think the company would be if Jim and Mike were still in charge? Even though I don't think highly of them at all, I think the company would be in very close to the same place. I think that most of what Thorsten has done, arguably all of the major decisions, were forced upon him by the situation he inherited. In that sense, I do not think we will have a true sense of his ability to lead for quite some time. He deserve neither the blame for what he inherited, nor praise for where they are now.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,765 Global Posts

Alas we can't even celebrate ONE day of JOY and BLISS without Apple getting in the way. Why I say this? Well because Rumor has it They will debut their 5S First quarter of 2013. Man this news totally sucks because it's supposed to be RIM that has a first shot at the new year. Apple will Never back down.
    I got this Rumored news from PC Mag and I posted it in a new thread : New Iphone 5S Rumor Article
    CrackBerry Abuser

Again, congratulations to the entire RIM team for a very exciting announcement and continued success to them.....I look forward to an efficacious launch and a very fortuitous future!!
    Last edited by the_kid_hartford; 11-13-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: errors

Dr. Cornel West
    CrackBerry Addict

Default BlackBerry 10 Launch Event to be Held on January 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by chaddeus View Post

- Charles
    possibly, we can see the beta or EU on this december to be tested ofcourse.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9020 using Tapatalk
    sent from anywhere
    @isatbb@isatbbplg
    #mybb10
    #BB10Believe
    Blog: bb10believe.blogspot.com

HONK! IF YOU WANT BLACKBERRY 10

9380, Black and White Z10, LG Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 520
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    12,447 Global Posts
    PIN
    With Needle

Quote Originally Posted by calicocat2010 View Post
    Alas we can't even celebrate ONE day of JOY and BLISS without Apple getting in the way. Why I say this? Well because Rumor has it They will debut their 5S First quarter of 2013. Man this news totally sucks because it's supposed to be RIM that has a first shot at the new year. Apple will Never back down.
    I got this Rumored news from PC Mag and I posted it in a new thread : New Iphone 5S Rumor Article
    Bring it on!
    Do those who protest the loudest or longest have a lock on the truth?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,104 Global Posts

That's ok... iphone 5S will just be the iphone 5 with an 'S' tacked on the end of it... your're either interested in what BB10 has to offer or not.. I don't think the 5S is going to change any of that. With Apple's track record of new features in upcoming released models I wouldn't be holding my breath on any new spectacular features.

Global Posts
    6,205 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

I got this Rumored news from PC Mag and I posted it in a new thread : New Iphone 5S Rumor Article - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    Yes, and note the timing of that rumor.

I'm not "anti-Apple". It's not overstating to say that most of our computing experience has been shaped by them, and they produce genuinely great products (most of the time). They are also known as cut-throat competitors. Some of their tactics are explicitly laid out in Isaakson's biography of Steve Jobs, and there have been stories/myths/rumors swirling around the industry for years.

I can't say for sure that this leak was deliberately timed to coincide with RIM's announcement, but it sure wouldn't surprise me.

Global Posts
    6,205 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

...So I did acknowledge for example his austerity measures. Although, to be very frank, I don't think that required any insight at all. In fact, it was a necessity that every analysts cried for. It is roughly the equivalent of Gail Vaz Oxlade coming into your house and saying: I cut back your budget because you would have lost your house in a year at the rate you were going.

Beyond the cut backs, I don't see particular evidence of vision or Thorsten initiated direction, though I would be happy to hear of all the ones you speak of. BB10, was of course initiated long before Thorsten took over. It's possible he may have turned down some partnerships....without knowing if any existed or what the deal might have been, there is nothing to think about there. He did decide not to change directions to Android but of course, that doesn't distinguish him from his predecessors (nor do we know, and probably never will be sure, if that was the right decision).

I am curious, where then do you think the company would be if Jim and Mike were still in charge? Even though I don't think highly of them at all, I think the company would be in very close to the same place. I think that most of what Thorsten has done, arguably all of the major decisions, were forced upon him by the situation he inherited. In that sense, I do not think we will have a true sense of his ability to lead for quite some time. He deserve neither the blame for what he inherited, nor praise for where they are now.
    You can't just attribute Thorsten's management direction as "necessary austerity". Obviously, cost-cutting and reorganization has been a big part of his work this year (and doing THAT properly is a challenge in itself--it can be tricky at times determining the difference between "fat" and "muscle"). There's a genuine cultural shift in the company.

RIM can cut costs all it wants, but if it's unable to change the way it does business then it genuinely IS in a "death spiral". Fortunately, as I've mentioned in an earlier post, there's considerable evidence to suggest that RIM does do business very differently now than it did last year.

Again, RIM's attitude on developer engagement has swung 180 degrees. For years, developers found RIM's tools hard to work with, and the company's support indifferent. In many ways, this is what led to the scarcity of decent apps for the Playbook when it first launched; the developer community just wasn't there, and what few there were had little energy or enthusiasm. This situation has changed completely since then. RIM now most definitely gets that customers want apps, and for a good app portfolio you need to get the developers on board. They've invested considerable money in this, and it was probably the best place to spend it.

There are other signs of cultural change in the company, but this is likely the most important single example.
    Thanked by:
    the_kid_hartford (11-13-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    It feels snappier...

I got this Rumored news from PC Mag and I posted it in a new thread : New Iphone 5S Rumor Article - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    I didn't realize RIM had exclusive rights for announcements in first quarter of 2013.

[shabbs]
    BlackBerry Z10/STL100-3 [OS v10.2.1.3175]
    BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB [OS v2.1.0.1753]
    CrackBerry Newbie

Wow people were saying end of march. Now i gotta start saving now :S
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,765 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shabbs View Post
    I didn't realize RIM had exclusive rights for announcements in first quarter of 2013.

Lol, well I am making it known right now.

Anyway, I mean this should be RIM's time to shine, APPLE has had the chance for many years. Seriously, it is just not fair at all.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    It feels snappier...

Lol, well I am making it known right now.

Anyway, I mean this should be RIM's time to shine, APPLE has had the chance for many years. Seriously, it is just not fair at all.
    Heh. Well, welcome to the real world of business.

[shabbs]
    Banned

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #119  

BB10 for life 78 days to go
    CrackBerry Abuser

All of you wondering about the new L series date release ... I have to wait a little more to reach Mexico ... and I know there are anothers that will be waiting more than me ... But it is nice to know the date is getting soon a count down =)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,765 Global Posts

Heh. Well, welcome to the real world of business.

Yeah I know. I've taken a Business Class and Business of Graphics class. I just want RIM to be number 1 for once. You can't blame me for wanting that.
    richardat likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts

In truth, it would be better for Apple to announce right before Jan 30, or right after, because the general public doesn't care about a launch announcement from RIM this far out.
    If the rumour had come out anytime before Jan 30, then they would accuse Apple of trying to preempt the launch announcement. If it came out in Feb, then it would be trying to steal RIM's launch spotlight. Just as I asked in a previous thread (and got no answer from conspiracists) WHEN Would any announcement not be interpreted as "coincidental"....LOL. Tech moves fast, there are always products just released, announced, anticipated.....over the last several months, everything has been interpreted by conspiracists as "coincidental", and this in an extremely low-news, no-product period for RIM. If one can't find an Apple "motivation" on any given day, one can always suspect the media or stock analysts of hidden motivation. This is part of the key to any good conspiracy!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    You can't just attribute Thorsten's management direction as "necessary austerity". Obviously, cost-cutting and reorganization has been a big part of his work this year (and doing THAT properly is a challenge in itself--it can be tricky at times determining the difference between "fat" and "muscle"). There's a genuine cultural shift in the company.

Again, RIM's attitude on developer engagement has swung 180 degrees. For years, developers found RIM's tools hard to work with, and the company's support indifferent. In many ways, this is what led to the scarcity of decent apps for the Playbook when it first launched; the developer community just wasn't there, and what few there were had little energy or enthusiasm. This situation has changed completely since then. RIM now most definitely gets that customers want apps, and for a good app portfolio you need to get the developers on board. They've invested considerable money in this, and it was probably the best place to spend it.

There are other signs of cultural change in the company, but this is likely the most important single example.
    I am not convinced there is any "cultural change", though that is a very vague term, and could thus could be said of any company at anytime. I think it's far better to look at actual visible results...and you have pointed to one: better developer relations. I do think they have made efforts in that direction, however, I am not at all certain that wouldn't have happened Mike and Jim, or for that matter, my Uncle Elmer. It is absolutely forced upon them given the state of the industry, and their reputation/past failures. To be blunt, I'd call that a "no-brainer". However, if you wish me to credit Thorsten, I'm wiling to do that: He has recognized that apps are important.

I think it's reasonable to give him credit for that, I just don't find it very exceptional. Put another way, how incompetent would Thorsten have to be to not make efforts to reach out to developers?? If the CEO was a manikin with a basketball head, labeled with a wet marker: "jorgen", then yes, i would not expect efforts to insure an app-ecosystem, but even if it were a balding loud-mouth who throws tantrums when not allowed to buy a hockey-team, I would expect even he, in this day and age, might have an inkling of the need for this!
    JeepBB likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    It feels snappier...

Yeah I know. I've taken a Business Class and Business of Graphics class. I just want RIM to be number 1 for once. You can't blame me for wanting that.
    I hear ya, hopefully RIM does have spotlight at that time. We'll see.
    [shabbs]
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts

I hear ya, hopefully RIM does have spotlight at that time. We'll see.
    Although we'll not know for sure until it actually happens, I don't think Apple's keynotes will be as exciting to the public at this point. Apple's losing its allure and they're refreshing products too soon for it to be as big of a deal it used to be.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast