Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    CHED myself. My still alive!!!

Default Re: BlackBerry 10 Launch Event to be Held on January 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by katesbb View Post
    The only thing new I've learned is I won't be able to get a BB10 device before January 30th, 2013.

My upgrade is about due. I love my BB. But I'm being asked to wait two months to find our how long I have to wait. That's a little frustrating
    I guess it might be frustrating if you're totally unhappy with your current phone. My contract expired on April of this year. I've been holding out for the new BB10s. But I'm happy with my 9810. So I will wait and hopefully be even happier when the new phones roll out
    CrackBerry Abuser

Release the hounds.........excellent.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    993 Global Posts

Why announce this in November if the launch date is still almost 3 months away?
    CrackBerry Master

Does anyone know where it would take place in Canada? Would it be Waterloo? I'll line up creds if I can get to it.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    12,749 Global Posts
    PIN
    With Needle

Quote Originally Posted by Snipperdo17 View Post
    Tends to dampen the skeptics and nay sayers I guess. But, there will always be the Negative Nancys won't there?
    "Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Tank Pilot)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

Because people like me were about to get the N4 because I had no clue when BB10 was launching.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,780 Global Posts

Because it Stops people from thinking about going to another device. Now do not confuse that with "people Going to another device and actually Wanting it". That can't be stopped. People make up their own minds on the choices they make. Thinking about other possibilities and realizing that RIM is not dead and maybe see what they have to offer before making up their mind.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,126 Global Posts

I think everyone needs to calm down and put faith in RIM's fearless leader Thorsten.

That guy has really turned RIM around.

We have all been part of this great community and seen and heard everything RIM has down since Thorsten took control only what .. Jan of THIS year. With that we got PB 2.0/2.1, some sweet games and apps for the PB, BBJam worldwide and engagement of thousands of developers again worldwide, 2 very solid BB10 beta devices, a beautiful looking and feeling platform on one of the most efficient OS's that will soon enter the market, and the announcement of BB10 end of January '13.

Do you really think that Thorsten's going to take any chances to lose subscribership on BB10 by missing an established date that he has approved. He had it delayed once and I for am glad they didn't decide to rush it out the door half-baked in RIM's current situation. With all the Apple and Google events announcing their products with almost immediate release.. I firmly believe that RIM will follow suit and release the BB10 phone shortly after the launch event.

I look back and think.. if I was in Thor's shoes I wouldn't have done it any differently. I trust Thorsten Heins.. cause he's the only one at RIM who has held the captain's chair and developed this product right with accelerated timing!
    Banned

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts

OK, I like good news
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

Now, when do we find out which countries are in the "multiple"?

Global Posts
    6,484 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by calicocat2010 View Post
    Because it Stops people from thinking about going to another device. Now do not confuse that with "people Going to another device and actually Wanting it". That can't be stopped. People make up their own minds on the choices they make. Thinking about other possibilities and realizing that RIM is not dead and maybe see what they have to offer before making up their mind.
    Well put.

I agree, this is kind of a pre-emptive strike. It's also a way to underline the point that BB10 is on schedule.

Tinfoil hat time: I do believe that Apple is doing its best to nuke RIM out of existence. One less platform to compete with, and I think Jobs found them kind of drab and tiresome. I believe some of the announcements we've heard in the past few months about defections were carefully timed to erode RIM's credibility away little by little, and, yes, I think Apple has some pull with customers to time these announcements effectively.

It's not illegal, and a lot of executives would consider it just another way to be competitive. So by "pre-announcing" the way they have here, RIM inoculates itself a bit from this kind of whisper campaign and hopefully holds on to a few more enterprise/institutional customers until launch.
    Thanked by 2:
    Cesare21 (11-15-2012),  howarmat (11-13-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts

I don't think they'll make the mistake again of not having the phones ready for near-immediate release! Having said all that, the anti-Misek stuff is either irrational or motivated by hurt feelings. It was a reasonable prediction, and in fact, unless the phones are available on that day, he has a greater chance of being right than Thorstein or boulben, when they were saying the phones would be out in January! Misek can't be off by more than a few weeks now!

In any case, a few weeks won't matter either way, it's going to be very interesting!
    JeepBB likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,936 Global Posts

Breadcrumbs. Keeps people interested and keeps the company on the (hopefully) positive side of the news.
    CrackBerry User

Chalk up to rumour and a lot of hope, but I was on the phone with Rogers this morning discussing an issue with wireless tech support and I mentioned that RIM announced the release date of Jan 30th.. I did misspeak and corrected myself that is was the date of the announcement but not until after the tech support guy said his system said there release is the 31st not the 30th. hummm

How nice would it be if they release the day after the announcement?

I am not sure what Roger's techs actually know, but it did put smile on my face.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,936 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srissman View Post
    Chalk up to rumour and a lot of hope, but I was on the phone with Rogers this morning discussing an issue with wireless tech support and I mentioned that RIM announced the release date of Jan 30th.. I did misspeak and corrected myself that is was the date of the announcement but not until after the tech support guy said his system said there release is the 31st not the 30th. hummm

How nice would it be if they release the day after the announcement?

I am not sure what Roger's techs actually know, but it did put smile on my face.
    They don't have access to that kind of information in their "system". More than likely just a rumour.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,780 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Well put.

I agree, this is kind of a pre-emptive strike. It's also a way to underline the point that BB10 is on schedule.

Tinfoil hat time: I do believe that Apple is doing its best to nuke RIM out of existence. One less platform to compete with, and I think Jobs found them kind of drab and tiresome. I believe some of the announcements we've heard in the past few months about defections were carefully timed to erode RIM's credibility away little by little, and, yes, I think Apple has some pull with customers to time these announcements effectively.

It's not illegal, and a lot of executives would consider it just another way to be competitive. So by "pre-announcing" the way they have here, RIM inoculates itself a bit from this kind of whisper campaign and hopefully holds on to a few more enterprise/institutional customers until launch.
    Thank you for your comment to mine.
    Now I have to ask, do you think Steve is rolling around and turning in his grave, or do you think he's biting his nails hoping that His company can continue to top RIM in 2013? I mean come on, I'd be curious to know how he's taking the anticipation of BB10 launch news in Heaven.
    Banned

Global Posts
    909 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lynxs_claw View Post
    I think everyone needs to calm down and put faith in RIM's fearless leader Thorsten.

That guy has really turned RIM around.
    Waaaaaay to early to have this much faith in Thorsten and say that he's turned RIM around.

RIM hasn't turned around until BB10 is on the market and is selling well and is gaining a sizeable market share back that it has lost.
    Thanked by:
    richardat (11-12-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Now I have to ask, do you think Steve is rolling around and turning in his grave, or do you think he's biting his nails hoping that His company can continue to top RIM in 2013? I mean come on, I'd be curious to know how he's taking the anticipation of BB10 launch news in Heaven.
    In Heaven, he's using the iOS6 map feature, which is telling him he's approaching the River Styx. And he's looking down on Tim Cook, screaming, "what are you DOING to my company? Get some VISION, for crying out loud! We might win THIS Christmas, but there are gonna more Christmases!!!"
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,331 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

Default BlackBerry 10 Launch Event to be Held on January 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    Would be a nice surprise if they did announce that the phone would be out the following week or something like that.
    Yes. The more certainty there is, the better. This announcement is a help though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    richardat likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by berklon View Post
    Waaaaaay to early to have this much faith in Thorsten and say that he's turned RIM around.

RIM hasn't turned around until BB10 is on the market and is selling well and is gaining a sizeable market share back that it has lost.
    I will never understand comments to that effect over the previous months.....Thor, as of yet, has not done "anything"....arguably, there have been negatives....eg. BB10 delay, delayed updates, marketing gaffes. Now, I don't think those things are his "fault", and I think he has done a lot of housekeeping, some of it rather nasty ie. firing thousands. I also think, and I think this is what the praise is based on (along with sheer hope), that he has SAID the right things. As to RIM's overall ability to execute, well....the first big test is BB10...then we'll see. It's only the beginning if they hope to comeback....if it's relatively flawless, and gains traction, that's an entry into the race.....then they will have to deliver cycle after cycle...

I do think he's on the right track....whether everything/everyone else on the ship is in order....we'll see.
    JeepBB likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,126 Global Posts

Altright then.. so for you, his track record so far means nothing. So unless you have that crystal ball, we should all STFU until RIM blunders on the release of BB10 on Jan 2013 and then release all the naysayers and the "I told you so's" can commence.

I for one thinks he and RIM team have the ability to get this done and get this done right because of his proven direction so far. If anyone else feels that they can do better .. maybe they should apply for his position. Until then relax with assumptions and the predictions that RIM will fail...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lynxs_claw View Post
    Altright then.. so for you, his track record so far means nothing. So unless you have that crystal ball, we should all STFU until RIM blunders on the release of BB10 on Jan 2013 and then release all the naysayers and the "I told you so's" can commence.

I for one thinks he and RIM team have the ability to get this done and get this done right because of his proven direction so far. If anyone else feels that they can do better .. maybe they should apply for his position. Until then relax with assumptions and the predictions that RIM will fail...
    This is illogical. His assertion that the track record "means nothing", in no way precludes him from commenting, or even predicting, just as you are.

Global Posts
    6,484 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

I don't think Steve is turning in his grave. I think he's wandering the corridors of One Infinite Loop in Cupertino wishing he could throw stuff.

Global Posts
    6,484 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by richardat View Post
    I don't think they'll make the mistake again of not having the phones ready for near-immediate release! Having said all that, the anti-Misek stuff is either irrational or motivated by hurt feelings. It was a reasonable prediction, and in fact, unless the phones are available on that day, he has a greater chance of being right than Thorstein or boulben, when they were saying the phones would be out in January! Misek can't be off by more than a few weeks now!

In any case, a few weeks won't matter either way, it's going to be very interesting!
    You might argue that Misek's pessimistic view is a reasonable interpretation of the facts, but he's also been known to misstate the facts from time to time. If he's heavily invested in Apple it's not hard to imagine them "suggesting" he be pessimistic about competitors in exchange for better access to things like upcoming products and internal research. Apple has been doing exactly that with the press for decades, what would stop them from extending that tactic to financial analysts?

His target price of $5 a share is WAY out of whack given the company's cash reserves and property. That price values the ENTIRE company, including real estate and intellectual property, at about $1.5bln once the current cash reserves are priced out. That's not pessimistic, that's out of touch with reality.

Global Posts
    6,484 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Too early? Yes and no. No, in the sense that we won't REALLY know until BB10 launches and we see what the market thinks.

We can point to a few areas where Thorsten has most definitely succeeded in turning the culture of RIM around, though:
    • A much stronger emphasis on developer relations
    • A clear sense of RIM's current position and challenges (Mike and Jim--especially Jim--were the definition of corporate hubris)
    • Much better media relations and transparency

We won't know how well these things will work for RIM until we see BB10 out, but it's definitely been good enough to keep the company solvent through a VERY difficult year (and note that his team has improved renewals and sales of current hardware considerably over where they were a year ago).
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast