Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Like Tree100Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

LOL android LOL

Arent you guys too busy flashing ROMs and cosutmizing your devices or whatever it is you do to be posting here.

I'm definitely going to stick with a real company and not some hack company who can't even license their software if they wanted to. 'Droid will have a titanic fall and none of you will seeing it coming.

The one thing I thought would be cool on android is widgets, but they're not. They're lame.

The Native BB10 browser will be amazng. RIM is highly motivated in this area. Googs advantage is apps so they don't care, its great the dolphin does well but guess what, if it runs on 'droid it can run on BB10, and likely better. The only reason andriod is anything special right now is cause all the OEMs out there needed something to compete with apple and they created android along with carriers and then the devs followed. Its as simple as OEMs waking up the the cess pool android is or carriers on a whim deciding they want to support something else, and android would become a sad memory in the tech world. Goog knows this, why you think they bought moto? Those patents have done zero for them or other OEMs. But I'm probably losing you here, since we're not talking about flashing ROMs, widgets, specs or customisation.

Best thing, BB used to be the bottom of the barrel for their browser. Now they are right on top.
    Thanked by 2:
    Wino Ryder (12-01-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,120 Global Posts

So hurds, back to the subject of this thread, what specific things can you enumerate, that makes the BB10 the best web browser on any mobile platform?

Aside from you, no one has even brought up "flashing ROMs, widgets, specs or customisation", patents, licensing, and whether or not Google is a "hack company". These are all irrelevant to the discussion at hand. The only semi-relevant argument in your post above is that "The Native BB10 browser will be amazng. RIM is highly motivated in this area. " This argument is frankly laughable. Can you give some more specific examples of the amazingness? For an example of specifics, I refer to you to this post:
    a list of browser features unique to Android .

Regarding you claim that "Goog doesn't care" about the browser, here's an announcement the Chrome team made just yesterday: "We expect an update to Chrome for Android starting with a developer update to happen before the end of the year, and we’re actively working towards aligning releases across all platforms, including Android, starting early next year.” If BB10 is even moderately successful, maybe Google will port Chrome to BB10. Chrome already runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and I think Windows 8. I believe that covers everyone except Blackberry or Bada. Here's a link to the Chrome team page in case you want to request a port. You can petition the Dolphin folks as well.
    Last edited by notafanboy; 11-28-2012 at 06:35 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

I believe the Blackberry browser has been the most HTML5 compatible browser since the original BB webkit browser was introduced in the 9800 over 2 years ago. I don't know of many who would say it's been the "best web browser" since that time. As a few have already pointed out, HTML5 compatibility does not necessarily translate to a great browsing experience. Basically HTML5 compatibility on the obscure elements is a "meh" feature. Going forward, it's possible that the new browser in BB10 will be the "best web browser" in the market, but if the past is any indication of the future, it's a highly suspect possibility.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,570 Global Posts

Why doesn't someone PM Bla1ze or someone with a dev unit and ask them how it compares to their other devices?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,120 Global Posts

Bla1ze, can you satisfy some of our curiosity here? How does the BB10 pre-release browser perform on the Microsoft's Aston Martin, Fishie, Fishbowl html5 tests? Links on the previous page. Can you also try the ringmark and sunspider test?

Global Posts
    5,802 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B

I completely agree that real world usage says more than any benchmark scores. Dolphin used to be my favorite browser. I've tried most of them, and I always keep going back to Dolphin. But lately I'm getting crashes and the rendering of some pagese has gotten funky. Is mine an isolated incident? Maybe. And the fact is that as of now we can only speculate that the BB10 browser will be amazing. Signs are sure pointing that way, though.

I agree with hurds about RIM being highly motivated to produce a spectacular browser, although I disagree with his needless and misguided anti-Android rhetoric. They've talked this thing up enough that they must deliver.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
    Wino Ryder likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

Quote Originally Posted by turds View Post
    LOL android LOL

The only reason andriod is anything special right now is cause all the OEMs out there needed something to compete with apple and they created android along with carriers and then the devs followed. Its as simple as OEMs waking up the the cess pool android is or carriers on a whim deciding they want to support something else, and android would become a sad memory in the tech world.
    Soooo..carriers were involved with building Android? The carriers wanted something to help compete against Apple, with which they could then turn around and sell in their own stores? LOL.. And "devs followed" because it's easy to code for...how else would you explain that in the same time frame that apps became popular across the board, Android and Apple have gained the most, while BB has the least..Yes android has HUGE marketshare right now so it's enticing to devs, but this wasn't always the case. And just an FYI, OEM's won't just "one day" decide on a whim to stop manufacturing for the largest mobile OS on the planet. Yes..it may happen one day, but it won't be anytime soon, and it won't be on a whim.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,120 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    . And just an FYI, OEM's won't just "one day" decide on a whim to stop manufacturing for the largest mobile OS on the planet. Yes..it may happen one day, but it won't be anytime soon, and it won't be on a whim.
    LOL! I could never come up with such an understated rebuttal when confronted with such a ridiculously stupid premise. "Carriers on a whim deciding they want to support something else" indeed!

BTW I installed the official AdBlock Plus app. Works great so far, blocks ads in browsers as well as apps. It doesn't even leave an empty spot where the ads used to be.
    CrackBerry Abuser

If a company sells a product with no market share, does it really exist? Gotta love the spin here. Android sells because of some wierd collusion or conspiracy but BB10 is going to blow it out of the water because its browser is better in one unnoticible way. LOL
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by BB10CB View Post
    You've replied thrice but just not on topic.. Any reasons why chrome is better than bb10 browser?
    One reason: It exists and I can use it right now.

Shall we do a comparison? I'll pull up a webpage in Chrome on my PC or phone and you do the same with the BB10 browser and we'll see which is better at displaying basic information.

Ready?
    Tre Lawrence and JeepBB like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    Why doesn't someone PM Bla1ze or someone with a dev unit and ask them how it compares to their other devices?
    Don't really need to bother Bla1ze with this. Lots of people have Dev Alphas. And yet we never really hear about how great the browser experience is, we just see the html 5 test results. There is a reason for that. The Dev Alpha browser on the current beta OS is what you would expect if you have used a PlayBook. Its great for accurately loading content, but it is laggy, it checkerboards like crazy when you scroll too fast and it is missing features that every other mobile browser has. Worse of all, just like the PlayBook, after you've browsed long enough, the browser just gives up and becomes unresponsive. Resulting in a reboot just to get it to start loading pages again. In my honest opinion, the os7 browser is better as a daily use browser than the current Dev Alpha browser.

It isnt even close when compared with Android's browser. Chrome on Android 4.2.1 performs much better than my Dev Alpha's browser and the sad part is that the standard AOSP browser out performs Chrome by along shot. So much so that I actually deleted Chrome from my rooted Nexus 4 and went straight to the stock browser.

The stock Android browser may not have as high of a HTML 5 score, but it is much more usable than the current BB10 browser. On my Nexus 4 (or almost any current android device) the stock browser doesn't lag, you can scroll engadgets desktop website from top to bottom with no checkerboarding and it offers a ton of features.

In my opinion, RIM needs to forget worrying so much about the HTML 5 score and start trying to making a browser that people will actually want to use.
    Thanked by:
    mikeo007 (11-29-2012) 
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Someone in another thread made a good point that RIM never asked for your loyalty to their product. I suppose it is because they never cared what you wanted or about users or clients or investors or anyone. They seem to just do whatever they want whenever they get around to it.

HTML 5 scores are absolutely useless. Web designers will make sure things work on Androids and iPhones. If something doesn't work right on a more compliant browser, it will be irrelevent.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    317 Global Posts

Default Re: BlackBerry 10 is Going to Have the Best Web Browser of Any Mobile Platform

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    Don't really need to bother Bla1ze with this. Lots of people have Dev Alphas. And yet we never really hear about how great the browser experience is, we just see the html 5 test results. There is a reason for that. The Dev Alpha browser on the current beta OS is what you would expect if you have used a PlayBook. Its great for accurately loading content, but it is laggy, it checkerboards like crazy when you scroll too fast and it is missing features that every other mobile browser has. Worse of all, just like the PlayBook, after you've browsed long enough, the browser just gives up and becomes unresponsive. Resulting in a reboot just to get it to start loading pages again. In my honest opinion, the os7 browser is better as a daily use browser than the current Dev Alpha browser.

It isnt even close when compared with Android's browser. Chrome on Android 4.2.1 performs much better than my Dev Alpha's browser and the sad part is that the standard AOSP browser out performs Chrome by along shot. So much so that I actually deleted Chrome from my rooted Nexus 4 and went straight to the stock browser.

The stock Android browser may not have as high of a HTML 5 score, but it is much more usable than the current BB10 browser. On my Nexus 4 (or almost any current android device) the stock browser doesn't lag, you can scroll engadgets desktop website from top to bottom with no checkerboarding and it offers a ton of features.

In my opinion, RIM needs to forget worrying so much about the HTML 5 score and start trying to making a browser that people will actually want to use.
    Do have an A or B model Dev Alpha?
    I'm trying to be nicer. If I say something that's not very nice, feel free to remind me

Global Posts
    9,322 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastit View Post
    Shall we do a comparison? I'll pull up a webpage in Chrome on my PC or phone and you do the same with the BB10 browser and we'll see which is better at displaying basic information.
    Ready?
    Anytime, provided the target is a W3C compliant HTML site. Exclude Chrome proprietary extensions and we can bench ...
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares

Global Posts
    9,322 Global Posts
    PIN

Don't really need to bother Bla1ze with this. Lots of people have Dev Alphas. And yet we never really hear about how great the browser experience is, we just see the html 5 test results. There is a reason for that. The Dev Alpha browser on the current beta OS is what you would expect if you have used a PlayBook.
    You're 100% wrong. DevAlpha's browser is HTML5 based, PlayBook is Air based. And if you've never heard about BB10 browser goodness ... then we do not follow the same TW. BB10 browser IS an HTML5 web app ... probably the greatest one as of date. Explains much about its compliance, isn't it ?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Do you have Dev Alpha A or B? I never said the browsers were made the same, I said the perform similarly and they do. Scrolling and pinch to zoom on the latest Dev Alpha browser is slow and content can't keep up with your actions. I called it checkerboarding, but the latest OS doesn't have the check board patteren. Now its just white boxes where certain sections need more time to load than others. Also, the zoom ability is really freaky. On this website, you can zoom really far out past the borders of the site making black edges show up around the page. Then it lags and keeps you there for a few seconds before allowing you to make the page full screen like you originally wanted. The latest build does let you edit bookmarks though, finally. So that's one huge complaint that they addresses.

Otherwise, meh its nothing great. I don't think any one that has used a current smartphone will be overly impressed. Its not some magical browser that blows everyone else's away, its just a sorda catch up. The BlackBerry faithful that are upgrading from a OS 5 curve are gonna love it, but if things arent improved dramatically, iPhone and Android users will see BB10's browser as a downgrade with one impressive stat that no one really cares about.
    Thanked by:
    Roo Zilla (12-01-2012) 
    Roo Zilla and mikeo007 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,120 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    You're 100% wrong. DevAlpha's browser is HTML5 based, PlayBook is Air based. And if you've never heard about BB10 browser goodness ... then we do not follow the same TW. BB10 browser IS an HTML5 web app ... probably the greatest one as of date. Explains much about its compliance, isn't it ?
    A popular misconception around these parts. Only the topmost layer of the browser is written in "HTML5", That's means menus, URL bar, bookmark management, etc. The actual heart of the browser, the part where the internet is rendered, in other words the everything that goes on inside the tabs - that is webkit code. Webkit is the also the code responsible for html5 compliance, which is why other browsers get the benefit as well.

The same is true in the Playbook. Only the topmost layer is written in Adobe Air. There is just no way that Air can render the web frame itself.
    Thanked by 2:
    mikeo007 (12-01-2012),  Saiga (12-01-2012) 
    mikeo007 and Saiga like this.

Global Posts
    9,322 Global Posts
    PIN

Do you have Dev Alpha A or B? I never said the browsers were made the same, I said the perform similarly and they do. Scrolling and pinch to zoom on the latest Dev Alpha browser is slow and content can't keep up with your actions. I called it checkerboarding, but the latest OS doesn't have the check board patteren. Now its just white boxes where certain sections need more time to load than others. Also, the zoom ability is really freaky. On this website, you can zoom really far out past the borders of the site making black edges show up around the page. Then it lags and keeps you there for a few seconds before allowing you to make the page full screen like you originally wanted. The latest build does let you edit bookmarks though, finally. So that's one huge complaint that they addresses.

Otherwise, meh its nothing great. I don't think any one that has used a current smartphone will be overly impressed. Its not some magical browser that blows everyone else's away, its just a sorda catch up. The BlackBerry faithful that are upgrading from a OS 5 curve are gonna love it, but if things arent improved dramatically, iPhone and Android users will see BB10's browser as a downgrade with one impressive stat that no one really cares about.
    Alpha A with latest OS (remember, still beta ...). And they do not perform simillary at all.
    I had to chill and be sure. I just tested, side by side. Another world it is.
    P.S: just added another test with another dev Alpha (previous beta). Current is faster, more reactive.

Global Posts
    9,322 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by notafanboy View Post
    A popular misconception around these parts. Only the topmost layer of the browser is written in "HTML5", That's means menus, URL bar, bookmark management, etc. The actual heart of the browser, the part where the internet is rendered, in other words the everything that goes on inside the tabs - that is webkit code. Webkit is the also the code responsible for html5 compliance, which is why other browsers get the benefit as well.

The same is true in the Playbook. Only the topmost layer is written in Adobe Air. There is just no way that Air can render the web frame itself.
    (thanks mikeo007 for the pic)

See the two first stacks ? Ok. good.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 12-01-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Wrong quote, sry.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Alpha A with latest OS (remember, still beta ...). And they do not perform simillary at all.
    I had to chill and be sure. I just tested, side by side. Another world it is.
    I also have a newly updated Dev Alpha A and I'm not seeing it. While BB10 browser is better than the PlayBook's its only slightly better. They both still have the same problems. They both have trouble with zooming, scrolling and crashing. They both still load pages slower than chrome or aosp browser on my Android devices. Actually, internet explore on my windows 8 Nokia Lumia loads this and other sites faster than the BB10 or playbook browser. There is still time for it to improve of course. And I hope it does. Like I've said, RIM should forget about HTML 5 scores now and focus on the experience. If they do that people will be much happier with their browser.

I guess we agree to disagree
    Last edited by Saiga; 12-01-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,518 Global Posts

http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...2.09.45-pm.png
    Since you've taken to cross-posting, I'll put this here too...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    What is that even supposed to mean? You think RIM is the only company with middleware between the rendering engine and web apps?
    It is EXACTLY the same on iOS, Android and WebOS.

The middleware is also not made using web standards, it is native code, like the webkit engine.
    Thanked by:
    Superfly_FR (12-01-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,120 Global Posts

http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...2.09.45-pm.png
    Yes, I see it. And it actually proves my point, thanks for bringing it over. Here is your quote that i was responding to:

DevAlpha's browser is HTML5 based, PlayBook is Air based. And if you've never heard about BB10 browser goodness ... then we do not follow the same TW. BB10 browser IS an HTML5 web app ... probably the greatest one as of date.
    The web app (Javascript/HTML/CSS) in question? That's the top layer only.

Edit: mike and I posted at the same time.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,666 Global Posts

Default Re: BlackBerry 10 is Going to Have the Best Web Browser of Any Mobile Platform

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastit View Post

Ready?
    LOL...
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,496 Global Posts

Someones got to fall.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456