Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Knightcrawler
  • 2 Post By teamryan15
  • 1 Post By teamryan15
  • 1 Post By herculesinwyoming
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,522 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BlackBerry 10 ‘Dev Alpha B’ ???

Surfing the BlackBerry developers website, you will notice a banner in the carousel advertising the new BlackBerry 10 Native SDK for Windows. The BlackBerry 10 Native SDK includes everything you need to start developing apps for the BlackBerry 10 platform: compiler, linker, C/C++ libraries, and an extensive IDE.

What’s odd about the banner is it shows a 3D rendering of a BlackBerry 10 ‘Dev Alpha B’. Perhaps this is a second generation developer device we’ll see RIM introduce to do further seeding of BB10 development? It is unclear. What do you think the Dev Alpha B could be?

http://n4bb.com/blackberry-10-dev-alpha-b-what-is-it/
    Thanked by:
    SFWriter (07-25-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    705 Global Posts

hmm, thats mighty interesting.

However i dont see why they would need another piece of alpha hardware. At this point any updates would be purely software. Unless its supposed to be the bb10 release hardware. Maybe they want dev's to test their apps on finished hardware as we get closer to the release?
    SFWriter likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Not the most attractive piece of hardware I've ever seen. Not sure what to think at this point. If this is some sort of pre-production concept that they used the image of on the banner; then fine. But I have to say that from a consumer point of view, its a sad looking phone. The Dev Alpha I have is better looking with clean lines.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,522 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

i wonder if its the limited edition BB10 phone that the Dev Alpa owners will get in the spring.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bbpandy View Post
    i wonder if its the limited edition BB10 phone that the Dev Alpa owners will get in the spring.

if it is, then its a COOL looking phone and WOW! What a great design!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,283 Global Posts

It looks like it has an otter box
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    28A006EA

Either it is the Dev Alpha in a ugly casing, or this phone design is lousy. Come on, the screen is recessed into the casing, and from the picture it looks very deep. Surely not going to be a nice touch experience.
    Curve 8300 -> Curve 8320 -> Bold 9780 -> Torch 9860 -> Bold 9900 -> Z10
    iPad 1 -> iPad 2 -> Playbook 64gb
    CrackBerry Abuser

since it might be a while before that BB10 Torch look a like hits the stores,I put a new battery in my 2 year old 9800 today 27/7/12.

Global Posts
    10,069 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

A dev alpha in its box. The limited edition ? *wow* would be awesome it'll be a design nowhere near than final BB10 devices.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    CrackBerry Abuser

I am confused how people can say thats an ugly design. How nice of a design can a full touch screen device get? Its a black skinny brick with a large screen. Looks exactly like the iphone and all the other touch droid devices out there. You can only get so creative with a full touch screen phone.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by teamryan15 View Post
    I am confused how people can say thats an ugly design. How nice of a design can a full touch screen device get? Its a black skinny brick with a large screen. Looks exactly like the iphone and all the other touch droid devices out there. You can only get so creative with a full touch screen phone.
    Doesn't it look like the grey part (where it says Dev Alpha B) is part of the phone? Have you seen any other phones that look like that?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by mcmolineux View Post
    Doesn't it look like the grey part (where it says Dev Alpha B) is part of the phone? Have you seen any other phones that look like that?
    the grey part is the box or the display its on.
    Thanked by:
    TommyTwista (08-01-2012) 
    decypher44 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Or its all some graphic artists' rendition of a BB10 Dev Alpha version before any decision was made on their production.

"It is human nature to speculate but only a fool would take these thoughts as fact" BD

CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C

That's actually a pretty good design. Prevents screen cracks from drops.

I like it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

that's not part of the phone, the gray underneath, I highly doubt. I think it's just resting on that box (or whatever it is) to show dev alpha b. Cause I mean the first one doesn't say dev alpha on it real big anywhere I don't think. but I think its a sharp lookin one! (not looking at the gray)
    Thanked by:
    TommyTwista (08-01-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    555 Global Posts

i have always wanted a device that is built well enough that a case is not needed.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,263 Global Posts

if hardware revs are happening it is not out of the question that newer/better hardware would be given out.
    CrackBerry Addict

My first thought is that it's a case where you could plug in a physical keyboard to give devs a feeling for the upcoming keyboard phones...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,522 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Quote Originally Posted by herculesinwyoming View Post
    i have always wanted a device that is built well enough that a case is not needed.
    You can always buy "Ruggedised" phones.....Though those are often a lot more expensive; on the up side they can be dropped kicked & generally abused without breaking
    CrackBerry Genius

internal Alpha/Beta devices still much connect internally to RIM to function in emulation mode with BB10 OS.

FYI ....

UPDATE:
    PlayBook 4G 2 band LTE 4/17 along with HSDPA+
    Original Launch date was Today on Rogers; yet due to Rogers contract issues delayed until next week. This will use a MicroSIM located just outside of existing MicroUSB+FastCharging+MicroHDMI ports; nice location really.

PlayBook 10" will be an LTE/HSDPA+ device much like next weeks 7" 32GB model mentioned above, yet will launch late Q1 2013 - 6months from PlayBooks LTE 7" unit.
    BlackBerry Passport - Serious Mobility for Serious Business; No Procrastination.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jagga View Post
    internal Alpha/Beta devices still much connect internally to RIM to function in emulation mode with BB10 OS.

FYI ....

UPDATE:
    PlayBook 4G 2 band LTE 4/17 along with HSDPA+
    Original Launch date was Today on Rogers; yet due to Rogers contract issues delayed until next week. This will use a MicroSIM located just outside of existing MicroUSB+FastCharging+MicroHDMI ports; nice location really.

PlayBook 10" will be an LTE/HSDPA+ device much like next weeks 7" 32GB model mentioned above, yet will launch late Q1 2013 - 6months from PlayBooks LTE 7" unit.
    You know this information how? Thought so...
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    You know this information how? Thought so...
    I know this information because I spoke with the RIM BES Account Manager for all of Ontario! I work for a large corporation.

Also other news:

RIM is going with ActiveSync
    - why? because ActiveSync allows up to 10'000 Connections to a server vs much less on BES. Because they could NOT get multiple PINs for 1 user - it just could NOT be done due to the current tried and true security model.

RIM will allow existing CALs to move from traditional (legacy, yes 5.0.3 BES) to Mobile Fusion, but the higher Mobile Fusion MDS will NOT be allowed to transfer CALs due to Microsoft's ActiveSync pricing model.

PlayBook has a new entry in the Settings menu:
    Mobile Network > SIM card.
    (interesting was the option to see mobile network information gathered from the SIM, but I did not see anything here becaues the rep had removed his PIN for obvious reasons.

With RIM layoffs pending yet again in the recent rumor news, this is one person's job at risk ... for NO VALID REASON! The performance was screwed due to delays from the old regime > NOT from account managers or sales representatives.

The reason the BB10 devices was delayed, the REAL reason?!
    - Providers wanted gaurantees of VOLUME and RIM just could not follow through.
    (think the largest manufacturer Celestica's public announcement. I'm sure RIM new about this MONTHS in advance).

SO ... before making snyde remarks, ask a valid question and await answer. If the answer is valid enough to prove your thoughts of bullsh*t THEN become snyde. Never assume someone's information is non-valid based on their post count or frequency of visiting a community forums site.
    BlackBerry Passport - Serious Mobility for Serious Business; No Procrastination.