Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BIS 3.0-3.1 coming March 2010

ISome nice features to look forward too
    Rumor: BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) 3.0 and 3.1 – Coming Early 2010 : BlackBerry Sync – BlackBerry News You Can Sync With…

-------------

BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) 3.0 and 3.1 – Coming Early 2010
    By James on Nov 13, 2009 in BlackBerry, RIM, Rumors, Software

A new rumor is floating around the internet about two new version of BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service), which supposedly will launch early 2010.The first would be version 3.0 which will include enhanced updates for Google Synchronization, which is said to be launching in March 2010 (but we all know how RIM likes to be late). Shortly followed after that would be BIS version 3.1 which would bring even more new synchronization features including: Google Calendar, Hotmail Address Book, and Yahoo! Address Book syncing.

BIS 3.0 (March 2010):

Improved the Gmail plugin:
    Synchronization deleted messages, read / unread and sent between the box and your own Gmail (so far worked only in the opposite direction)
    The ability to add and remove labels from your device

BIS 3.1 (Soon after):

Synchronize Google Calendar
    Synchronize your address book from Hotmail account
    Synchronize your address book from Yahoo
    Yahoo mailbox will cause an automatic download of Yahoo messenger on the device
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!

Anyone else dissapointed that we see no mention of REMOVING THE FILESIZE LIMITATION ON DOWNLOADS AND EMAIL ATTACHMENTS EVEN WITH THIS RELEASE?

WTF is wrong with RIM? Yes, people get attachments bigger then 2.9MB!!! REMOVE THE LIMITATIONS!!!!!!

Geez!

Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
    Anyone else dissapointed that we see no mention of REMOVING THE FILESIZE LIMITATION ON DOWNLOADS AND EMAIL ATTACHMENTS EVEN WITH THIS RELEASE?

WTF is wrong with RIM? Yes, people get attachments bigger then 2.9MB!!! REMOVE THE LIMITATIONS!!!!!!

Geez!
    Agreed, RIM definiley needs to do something about that, time to get into the 21st century...
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he did not exist...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,503 Global Posts

Agreed. The email truncated notice has been old a long time. BB the email king of mobile devices. Ok sure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

When I get attachments that size or larger, they're archives of files that cannot be read by phone software, and typically things like database files, encrypted documents, layered images, vector drawings, et cetera.

What kind of 3MB file would you need to have emailed to your phone?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    639 Global Posts

This is great news. Finally 2way sync. Question is will it be native or via the plugin??? The plugin doesn't support push does it?
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
    This is great news. Finally 2way sync. Question is will it be native or via the plugin??? The plugin doesn't support push does it?
    I think it will be native in BIS just like the new Google contact sync. So you go to your BIS web site login and check the box to activate it.

.... at least I hope that's how they implement it!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,017 Global Posts

Geez!
    Agreed!! and still no subfolder, calendar or task list integration with Exchange or Lotus notes, they just don't get it.......
    rooted Motorola Droid X
    jailbroken iPhone 3GS Black 32 GB
    HTC Incredible: sold!
    9530 Storm 1: Ding Dong the witch is dead
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,607 Global Posts

Not everyone revolves around Google and Yahoo. I'm getting disgusted, but trying so hard to be patient to see what's in store. I'm afraid I'm setting myself up for failure/let down.

The file size limitation is aggravating as all get out, but I can't even pull my OWA calendar or contacts over. I can get my e-mail, but calendar and contacts...they aren't really that important, are they? Nah...instead let's have all users forward every e-mail and appointment they get through work to their GOOGLE account. Then implement GOOGLE syncing and voila...everyone is happy.

NOT. I do not want everything I do going through freaking Google.
    CrackBerry User

They've already got 3.4 planned as well. Should be getting more info on it soon. Funny though, its no rumor...probably just a miscalculated date...as usual.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  11. oal
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    Not everyone revolves around Google and Yahoo. I'm getting disgusted, but trying so hard to be patient to see what's in store. I'm afraid I'm setting myself up for failure/let down.

The file size limitation is aggravating as all get out, but I can't even pull my OWA calendar or contacts over. I can get my e-mail, but calendar and contacts...they aren't really that important, are they? Nah...instead let's have all users forward every e-mail and appointment they get through work to their GOOGLE account. Then implement GOOGLE syncing and voila...everyone is happy.

It is funny that they are paying so much attention to google...wouldn't the natural phone for someone who's e-life surrounded google be an Andriod phone? I wonder if it is a direct attempt to blunt the impact of the Android OS. It just strikes me as strange.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,607 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OAL View Post
    It is funny that they are paying so much attention to google...wouldn't the natural phone for someone who's e-life surrounded google be an Andriod phone? I wonder if it is a direct attempt to blunt the impact of the Android OS. It just strikes me as strange.
    EXACTLY. I actually tried the Droid for a few days and one of the turn offs for me was the push of Google. I use Google e-mail as a personal account for everything that could potentially lead to junk. And I use my comcast account for stuff I know never will (friends and family). So for my use, Google is kind of my junk mail address, although I do get some legitimate, important stuff, too (like my thread subscription notifications)

I don't mind using Google, but am VERY happy with their stand alone app that I can leave open all day to notify me if I think something important is coming, or I can leave closed and only check when I want. AND, that app perfectly syncs back activity from my BB to the server and from the server to my BB. Instantaneously. So WHY do I need RIM to spend all their time integrating more integration with Google??? I want RIM to spend time getting me access to my WORK stuff through OWA integration. I can access my e-mail through BIS, but not my calendar and contacts. UNACCEPTABLE. And as I said before, the answer is NOT for me to forward (or set up rules), all my work related stuff to go to a GOOGLE account. I don't need or want my entire life in the cloud.

I really hope they have more in store for us than this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by morfy50 View Post
    Rumor: BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) 3.0 and 3.1 – Coming Early 2010 : BlackBerry Sync – BlackBerry News You Can Sync With…

-------------

A new rumor is floating around the internet about two new version of BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service), which supposedly will launch early 2010.The first would be version 3.0 which will include enhanced updates for Google Synchronization, which is said to be launching in March 2010 (but we all know how RIM likes to be late). Shortly followed after that would be BIS version 3.1 which would bring even more new synchronization features including: Google Calendar, Hotmail Address Book, and Yahoo! Address Book syncing.

BIS 3.0 (March 2010):

Synchronization deleted messages, read / unread and sent between the box and your own Gmail (so far worked only in the opposite direction)

BIS 3.1 (Soon after):

though its always good to hear about updates and all that... but with these updates? who cares? update the internet service not the stupid features that we all basically have already. i want to be able to surf the web better without stupid problems.. not access my email that i already have pretty good access to on my BB
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!

Quote Originally Posted by armedtank View Post
    Agreed!! and still no subfolder, calendar or task list integration with Exchange or Lotus notes, they just don't get it.......
    Well, in retrospect, if they allowed BIS to do that, what would be the point behind their "Cash Cow" BES services and software?

Honestly, they need to just remove the size limitations on emails, downloads, attachments for BIS. That would be enough to fix those issues, while still having people understand that they can't do the other stuff without BES. Something I could live with for the most part. I think that should change as well and RIM should reengineer BES to be more focused on corporate IT control capabilities rather then the basic email/contacts/calendar sync support, but that's just me. Wireless syncing of email/contacts/calendar should be a native capability of both BIS and BES. BES's advantages should be just policy imposition by corporations that buy it and complete control over the BB environment, nothing more. BES should be treated as a policy manager... you don't see MS's operating systems install by default with limited functionality... you see that once the MS Server policies are pushed form AD to the systems that are connected to said AD (if IT wants it that way). Blackberries should function the same way.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Well, in retrospect, if they allowed BIS to do that, what would be the point behind their "Cash Cow" BES services and software?

Honestly, they need to just remove the size limitations on emails, downloads, attachments for BIS. That would be enough to fix those issues, while still having people understand that they can't do the other stuff without BES. Something I could live with for the most part. I think that should change as well and RIM should reengineer BES to be more focused on corporate IT control capabilities rather then the basic email/contacts/calendar sync support, but that's just me. Wireless syncing of email/contacts/calendar should be a native capability of both BIS and BES. BES's advantages should be just policy imposition by corporations that buy it and complete control over the BB environment, nothing more. BES should be treated as a policy manager... you don't see MS's operating systems install by default with limited functionality... you see that once the MS Server policies are pushed form AD to the systems that are connected to said AD (if IT wants it that way). Blackberries should function the same way.
    Agree with you 100%!!!!!!!! BIS should give you everything BES is giving minus the 'corporate' security features/factors.

The regular smartphone market iPhone/Android/Winmo is catching up (and in some cases exceeding) what RIM is doing with overall PIM data and BIS.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    PIN
    30EF6893

But many people do live in the Google Cloud and need these things to be synchronized. At least with Exchange/Outlook/BES you have a better world. For those of us who use Google Apps...we're hosed for probably another year or more.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    PIN
    30EF6893

Quote Originally Posted by OAL View Post
    Really quite simple...they're doing what they can to stop the churn of folks from their BBs to Android. I've used a BB with VZW for over 10 years and I just tried the Droid...and if it were just 20% better in a few areas I would already have switched. People like me they want keep using a BB by giving us just enough Google support to keep us "minimally" happy.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,607 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LarryMcJ View Post
    But many people do live in the Google Cloud and need these things to be synchronized. At least with Exchange/Outlook/BES you have a better world. For those of us who use Google Apps...we're hosed for probably another year or more.
    If I was on BES I would agree. But I'm not. And the only work stuff I can access through BIS is my e-mail. Where is support for OTA calendar and contacts? It's inexcusable.

As far as Google goes...I just don't get the issue. Download the application and voila...instant sync with Google AND it will notify you of new messages. In other words, there is already a way to do this and they are spending time and resources to recreate the wheel, so to speak. They need to focus on fixing what's (IMO) broke (not being able to access calendars and contacts with regular e-mail accounts).
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    PIN
    30EF6893

If I was on BES I would agree. But I'm not. And the only work stuff I can access through BIS is my e-mail. Where is support for OTA calendar and contacts? It's inexcusable.

As far as Google goes...I just don't get the issue. Download the application and voila...instant sync with Google AND it will notify you of new messages. In other words, there is already a way to do this and they are spending time and resources to recreate the wheel, so to speak. They need to focus on fixing what's (IMO) broke (not being able to access calendars and contacts with regular e-mail accounts).
    Sorry, but that's just not correct. I love the native Google mobile app for BB, and though it's ALMOST perfect...it does NOT support HTML email, which I need for some things in the email I get. The enhanced gmail plugin supports this. I use them both, the Plugin with BIS email for composing and receiving and the Gmail app for stars, labels, archiving, etc.

Regarding OTA synching of Google calendar and contacts...Google Sync for BlackBerry works flawlessly (except it doesn't yet support birthdays and anniversaries, which I can live without on my BB). What about Google Sync for BlackBerry isn't working for you? It's not only OTA, but instant push in both directions.

What RIM is going to add in the new BIS 3.0 and 3.1 are these same push synch items so we won't have to use the Google Sync for BlackBerry app.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,607 Global Posts

Sorry, but that's just not correct. I love the native Google mobile app for BB, and though it's ALMOST perfect...it does NOT support HTML email, which I need for some things in the email I get. The enhanced gmail plugin supports this. I use them both, the Plugin with BIS email for composing and receiving and the Gmail app for stars, labels, archiving, etc.

Regarding OTA synching of Google calendar and contacts...Google Sync for BlackBerry works flawlessly (except it doesn't yet support birthdays and anniversaries, which I can live without on my BB). What about Google Sync for BlackBerry isn't working for you? It's not only OTA, but instant push in both directions.

What RIM is going to add in the new BIS 3.0 and 3.1 are these same push synch items so we won't have to use the Google Sync for BlackBerry app.
    I don't want OTA Google calendar and contacts. That's my point. Not everyone wants their life to revolve around the Google Cloud. I want to access my work calendar and contacts, which do not use Google. And I don't want to have to do it by forwarding all my appointments and contacts TO Google. I want Google out of the picture. I want RIM to make it so I can actually GET my OTA calendar and contacts from a NON Google account (an exchange account without BES).
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    PIN
    30EF6893

I don't want OTA Google calendar and contacts. That's my point. Not everyone wants their life to revolve around the Google Cloud. I want to access my work calendar and contacts, which do not use Google. And I don't want to have to do it by forwarding all my appointments and contacts TO Google. I want Google out of the picture. I want RIM to make it so I can actually GET my OTA calendar and contacts from a NON Google account (an exchange account without BES).
    Ah, sorry...I misunderstood you. I fully understand not wanting to live in the Google Cloud...I didn't either until I retired and wanted to simplify my life and quite managing and worrying about things like Exchange and BES servers :-) I don't know what solutions are out there other than Exchange|BES|Google Connector, which you also don't want.

All I want is total two-way sync of Gmail, Google Contacts, and Google Calendar on my BB with real-time push...and I can't have that either. Guess no one can have it perfect.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,607 Global Posts

Ah, sorry...I misunderstood you. I fully understand not wanting to live in the Google Cloud...I didn't either until I retired and wanted to simplify my life and quite managing and worrying about things like Exchange and BES servers :-) I don't know what solutions are out there other than Exchange|BES|Google Connector, which you also don't want.

All I want is total two-way sync of Gmail, Google Contacts, and Google Calendar on my BB with real-time push...and I can't have that either. Guess no one can have it perfect.
    LOL, ain't it the (sad) truth.

I kind of feel like RIM should be focusing on my issue before yours I think it's great they want to get better integration with Google, but I think they should first offer better integration for non BES users to sync with Exchange.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    PIN
    30EF6893

LOL, ain't it the (sad) truth.

I kind of feel like RIM should be focusing on my issue before yours I think it's great they want to get better integration with Google, but I think they should first offer better integration for non BES users to sync with Exchange.
    They will...trust me. It's not RIM I want to get off their ***...it's Google! I read a great article this morning that talked about the 25 million BB users and how many of them used Gmail (quite a huge number BTW) and Google wants to make them happy so they're working with RIM to make their Google products accessible and synchronizable with a BB because they want the Gmail users to begin using the other Google products...and this will happen.

When I first started with Gmail it was the only thing I used. Now I truly believe in the Google Cloud...though I do back everything up weekly, I just find it more convenient. I'm even converting some family websites over to Google and it's amazing how far they've come since I first looked at them. I owned a web publishing company before retirement and I would not have dreamed of using Google.

All that said...I understand where you're coming from and I believe RIM will definitely address your needs first :-)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

Geez!
    Removing the file size limitation would be great, piece by piece is a drag.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    PIN
    30EF6893

Quote Originally Posted by morfy50 View Post

-------------

BIS 3.0 (March 2010):

BIS 3.1 (Soon after):

I'll be very happy to see BIS 3.0 but I'm betting a birthday that it won't happen that soon. If it does...I'll be pleasantly surprised. For those of us who use Gmail and the Enhanced (not much) Plugin will really be happy to see this. Gmail on on a BB is horrible, but necessary for some of us.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast