Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
Like Tree81Likes
  1. Superfly_FR's Avatar

    Posts
    9,956 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,975 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default BGR : With BlackBerry 10, there’s no place like home

    Me quoting BGR ???? yup.
    Must say that I've kept reading Zach Epstein sometimes, while I couldn't ... well, you know who.

    In full here : BlackBerry 10 details: No home button on BlackBerry 10 phones | BGR

    Early glimpses at BlackBerry 10 revealed software that attempts to take a fresh look at the smartphone experience in some ways, but after our first look, we wondered if RIM was going far enough with its new OS. Now that we’re just weeks away from the BlackBerry 10 launch event, RIM appears to have started slowly showing users that BlackBerry 10 will, in fact, provide a unique user experience.
    The Flow interface negates the need for a home button in many respects. Like webOS did before it, Flow presents users with a series of minimized windows representing each open application. The result is a UI that lets users easily jump between apps without the need to return to a home screen between steps. Combined with gesture support, RIM may have indeed simplified the smartphone user experience in several key ways.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-08-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: copy/paste error: wrong quote
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    Thanked by 5:
    Blacklatino (01-09-2013),  Bobcat665 (01-10-2013),  G-bone (01-08-2013),  Taigatrommel (01-09-2013),  tryfe (01-10-2013) 
    G-bone and Cesare21 like this.
  2. Thunderbuck's Avatar

    Posts
    6,342 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,345 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7
    #2  

    Default

    Heh heh... just validates what I've been trying to tell people for months.

    It's a stretch to call the BB10 UI "earthshaking", but it's actually very usable. Maybe most importantly, it provides the best scheme for managing open apps that I've seen yet. That's the sort of thing that a user reads about and yawns, but when they actually use it for a couple of days it dawns on them that it actually makes a difference.

    Same with the keyboard. Just looking at a demo, it's tempting to dismiss it as gimmicky, but when you actually USE it for a while you start to get that it's a genuine breakthrough.

    The biggest problem with this is not that these are hard things to use at all, but that it will take a couple of days of use before many users actually understand the benefits. A quick demo in a store may not work for many. That's why I think early word-of-mouth is going to be a far more important marketing tool for this phone.
    Thanked by 6:
    Blacklatino (01-09-2013),  chi-town311 (01-09-2013),  europolska00 (01-08-2013),  goku_vegeta (01-09-2013),  jakie55 (01-09-2013),  JR A (01-09-2013) 
  3. SK122387's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,352 Posts
    PIN
    2BD8B4C8
    #3  

    Default

    I won't miss the Home button, but I will miss the way that hitting the Call End button always took me back out to the main menu, no matter how deep I was in an app or something.. I still wish the call keys were present on BB10 phones, to be honest.
    Sean

    Twitter: @SeanKelleher
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
  4. Masahiro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,270 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SK122387 View Post
    I won't miss the Home button, but I will miss the way that hitting the Call End button always took me back out to the main menu, no matter how deep I was in an app or something.. I still wish the call keys were present on BB10 phones, to be honest.
    The call end key was our home button, and that's been replaced by the bottom bezel motion.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
  5. Superfly_FR's Avatar

    Posts
    9,956 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,975 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SK122387 View Post
    I won't miss the Home button, but I will miss the way that hitting the Call End button always took me back out to the main menu, no matter how deep I was in an app or something.. I still wish the call keys were present on BB10 phones, to be honest.
    Swipe up : you're home
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
  6. mark37724's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Been using the Playbook for over a year now and am now so frustrated using my iPod (so severely demoted to basically just euchre now) and even my 9900. Almost feels as archaic as going to the tv to change the channel.
  7. pooger's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,098 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,105 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark37724 View Post
    Almost feels as archaic as going to the tv to change the channel.
    OMG that's like CAVEMAN.
    PJD642 likes this.
  8. Rickroller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,446 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Heh heh... just validates what I've been trying to tell people for months.

    It's a stretch to call the BB10 UI "earthshaking", but it's actually very usable. Maybe most importantly, it provides the best scheme for managing open apps that I've seen yet. That's the sort of thing that a user reads about and yawns, but when they actually use it for a couple of days it dawns on them that it actually makes a difference.

    Same with the keyboard. Just looking at a demo, it's tempting to dismiss it as gimmicky, but when you actually USE it for a while you start to get that it's a genuine breakthrough.

    The biggest problem with this is not that these are hard things to use at all, but that it will take a couple of days of use before many users actually understand the benefits. A quick demo in a store may not work for many. That's why I think early word-of-mouth is going to be a far more important marketing tool for this phone.
    Probably one of the best, most honest interpretations of BB10 that i've read. People that think "ZOMG it's going to blow the competition away!!" are deluding themselves and everyone else. Fact is, as you put it, it'll be the little things about it, that over time, will make people compelled to use it. At least, if it's going to be successful, that's how I envision it happening.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    Thanked by 2:
    Blacklatino (01-09-2013),  Thunderbuck (01-08-2013) 
  9. SEAWARRIOR's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,479 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    wow, thanks for reminding me that we used to have to do that,,, anyone up for some pong??? (if your thinking of a drinking game you've already lost... )


    Quote Originally Posted by mark37724 View Post
    Almost feels as archaic as going to the tv to change the channel.
    Quote Originally Posted by pooger View Post
    OMG that's like CAVEMAN.
    "THE GUY YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!"

    I'M ON MY OWN IGNORE LIST===

    "By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."



    9850+PlayBook=WIN!!!
    bbmtna likes this.
  10. 13david77's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    66 Posts
    PIN
    330AB97D
    #10  

    Default

    "Why exclude the home button?*Halliwell says that BlackBerry 10 is all about “moving forward, not backward".

    Best quote of the entire article. Says a lot about the company if you think about it. BB10 is like a giant metaphor for RIM moving forward, because, literally, you can only go forward in BB10, where as in iOS or android it seems like they're always going two steps forward and one step back. Amazing how simple a phrase can feel like a giant smack to the face. I can almost here the tag line now..."BlackBerry 10, always moving forward".
  11. Tre Lawrence's Avatar
    Between Realities

    Posts
    11,881 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,715 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 13david77 View Post
    "Why exclude the home button?*Halliwell says that BlackBerry 10 is all about “moving forward, not backward".

    Best quote of the entire article. Says a lot about the company if you think about it. BB10 is like a giant metaphor for forward moving progress, because, literally, you can only go forward in BB10, where as in iOS or android it seems like they're always going two steps forward and one step back. Amazing how simple a phrase can feel like a giant smack to the face. I can almost here the tag line now..."BB10, always moving forward".
    LOL. But iOS and Android are still making net progress forward?

    LOL.
  12. 13david77's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    66 Posts
    PIN
    330AB97D
    #12  

    Default

    Only one way left to go then lol I think they've about hit their peak. Its a fad, theyre cool and trendy. Eventually the magic will dissolve, and blackberry will still be there doing what its always done. Blackberry isn't a fad, its not cool or trendy, but its there and it works.
  13. 13david77's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    66 Posts
    PIN
    330AB97D
    #13  

    Default

    Just thought it showed a lot of clout to make a statement like that lol It shows that they're ready to put up a fight
  14. Andrew4life's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,807 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,808 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    RIM’s first two next-generation smartphones, the BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry X10, are expected to be unveiled alongside the BlackBerry 10 OS on January 30th.
    Wait a minute........who said anything about the Blackberry X10 being released at the same time? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    Would be exciting if it was, but from the developers standpoint, there are currently no apps targeted for it, so it would be silly to release the phone right now.
  15. joe.miller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    192 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4life View Post
    Wait a minute........who said anything about the Blackberry X10 being released at the same time? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    Would be exciting if it was, but from the developers standpoint, there are currently no apps targeted for it, so it would be silly to release the phone right now.
    Unveiled != released
    Bobcat665 and Superfly_FR like this.
  16. Thunderbuck's Avatar

    Posts
    6,342 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,345 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    Probably one of the best, most honest interpretations of BB10 that i've read. People that think "ZOMG it's going to blow the competition away!!" are deluding themselves and everyone else. Fact is, as you put it, it'll be the little things about it, that over time, will make people compelled to use it. At least, if it's going to be successful, that's how I envision it happening.
    The good news about THAT is that it speaks to how well designed the BB10 UI actually is. It isn't what I'd call flashy, or that it looks like some kind of whole new paradigm, but I'm not sure that it would be a smart idea anyway--that could stand to turn off a lot of people.

    I think the highest compliment that I can pay to BB10 is that I'm finding it more usable and consistent than I expected it to be.
    Bobcat665 and Snap51 like this.
  17. Andrew4life's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,807 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,808 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joe.miller View Post
    Unveiled != released
    Why would you unveil a phone that you're not releasing yet? If they haven't released it yet, it's because it's not finished. If it's not finished, they're not going to unveil it.

    If they are not fully releasing the keyboard version, then the most I'd expect is "we'll have the keyboard version released in 2 months" or something. But not actually show anything?

    Surely you don't want to detract the steam of having people wait again for the next phone.
  18. Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes's Avatar
    Waterloo's Finest

    Posts
    5,477 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,506 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4life View Post
    Why would you unveil a phone that you're not releasing yet? If they haven't released it yet, it's because it's not finished. If it's not finished, they're not going to unveil it.

    If they are not fully releasing the keyboard version, then the most I'd expect is "we'll have the keyboard version released in 2 months" or something. But not actually show anything?

    Surely you don't want to detract the steam of having people wait again for the next phone.
    I'm pretty sure it has been established that both phones will be revealed on January's 30 but the qwerty version will be released shortly after the touchscreen. That's what is happening no matter what kind of logic you try and use to prove its not happening or stupid.
    jimpilot and Bobcat665 like this.
  19. Dapper37's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,345 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    The good news about THAT is that it speaks to how well designed the BB10 UI actually is. It isn't what I'd call flashy, or that it looks like some kind of whole new paradigm, but I'm not sure that it would be a smart idea anyway--that could stand to turn off a lot of people.

    I think the highest compliment that I can pay to BB10 is that I'm finding it more usable and consistent than I expected it to be.
    Do you use/have a dev Alpha?
  20. Thunderbuck's Avatar

    Posts
    6,342 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,345 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FanBlackBerrytastic View Post
    Do you use/have a dev Alpha?
    Yes, I have a Dev Alpha A that I got when I attended the Vancouver Jam in August. The system software has been updated a couple of times, and the current level is very close to complete.
  21. Superfly_FR's Avatar

    Posts
    9,956 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,975 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    Probably one of the best, most honest interpretations of BB10 that i've read. People that think "ZOMG it's going to blow the competition away!!" are deluding themselves and everyone else. Fact is, as you put it, it'll be the little things about it, that over time, will make people compelled to use it. At least, if it's going to be successful, that's how I envision it happening.
    ^ THIS Remember, we're on BGR ...
    But I must say this is pretty honest.

    ----

    While my personal learning curve lasted under 10 minutes (the time it took me yesterday -due to lack of usage- to write a 5 lines note and the discovery of how to print it then send it by mail to 5 recipients on an iPad) with a PlayBook and under 5 on my DevAlpha , it may take some time to others to get the UI gesture. But where I somehow disagree is that it is something that I've always noticed with a new device/OS.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-09-2013 at 10:50 AM.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
  22. SK122387's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,352 Posts
    PIN
    2BD8B4C8
    #22  

    Default

    I forgot that swiping up is just like going 'home.' I already really like this on my PlayBook, and when I'm on my iPod touch, trying to get back to an open app, I've caught myself swiping up like I do on the PlayBook, to get to that carousel. . . BB10, please hurry!!
    Sean

    Twitter: @SeanKelleher
  23. kojita's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    879 Posts
    Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    PIN
    You can ask
    #23  

    Default

    Comments are pretty positive as well, which is a good thing for a blog like BGR, just that Jenifer girl who keeps ******** RIM but she doesn't have a clue...
    8900-9700-9780-9900
  24. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,745 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #24  

    Default

    The gesture UI, after you use it even for a short time, makes you realize you can be so much faster at navigating and without even thinking you come to demand it from everything else.

    If I go to a shop and pick up an android tablet I can't help myself doing an edge to edge swipe or a swipe up. The PlayBook has conditioned me to do it.

    Incredible I know, but having to locate a home button, physical or touch seems like such an inconvenience now. Swiping up equates to a huge home button that you just can't miss.
    djrupey likes this.
  25. Masahiro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,270 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    Incredible I know, but having to locate a home button, physical or touch seems like such an inconvenience now. Swiping up equates to a huge home button that you just can't miss.
    I sometimes hit the home button by accident when I'm typing and trying to hit the space bar. It drives me nuts. I can't wait to try out BB10.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 154
    Last Post: 08-30-2012, 07:46 PM
  2. PlayBook BBM to arrive with Blackberry 10
    By W Hoa in forum News & Rumors
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-30-2012, 12:55 PM
  3. BGR Haters: Even with BlackBerry 10, RIM is still dead.
    By 216d8f7f in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 04:52 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 09:12 AM
  5. Question/Problem with Blackberry Destop Manager (No Icons)
    By gmorris584 in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 01:47 PM

Posting Permissions