Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts

Default Re: Best Smartphone in Emergency

Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    The outage lasted longer then it should've because RIM insisted on delivering all the data, all emails, bbms etc that created a huge backlog. They have to be commended for it in a way, nothing was lost during the outage.
    That's a good point bellfastdispatcher. Other companies may well have just dumped the back log and moved on.

If I'm not mistaken, when iMessage goes down the messages are lost. If anyone knows for sure if that's correct or not please advise.
    Z10
    PlayBook 64
    Bold 9900
    Torch 9800 - retired

Quote Originally Posted by digitalman101 View Post
    In a unexpected emergency, BB has advantage with better battery life and better signal reception.

So in a planned/programmed emergency, android and iphones have advantage if you bring along some type of quick battery chargers... So you can tweet... What? I think that these system are better if you wish to relax bit so you play games. Than again, you will run out of battery.

--

Best choice is bb, with better 'native' battery life and better signal reception. And, I would also consider one other app, the Bible.
    Many local news stations tweet out status reports, so it's not all about tweets for friends or entertainment.
    Also, there are more apps for iPhone and Android to help stay connected with status for things like the OPM.gov site. Android and iPhone both have apps that contact you immediately. BB doesn't.
    It's not all about games. Some apps are quite practical but are not available on BB.

BB's outstanding advantage is BBM.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    Stewartj1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    So let's see what the argument is.... Blackberry is the best smartphone because it performed well during Katrina and 9/11. During those events the poor performance of iPhone and Android should be forgiven considering they had to get to those events via time machine and that effected their circuitry somewhat.

The rest of the lady's comments about Haiti and Japan are heresay, and heresay from an upper echelon RIM employee to boot. What do you expect her to say? That Blackberry was worse?

Not so. I can attest first hand to communication availability in Katrina and Haiti. Also the earthquake in DC, the derecho and Sandy. When all else failed BB worked through BBM.

I am nowhere near the upper eschelon of RIM employees.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    Stewartj1 likes this.

Global Posts
    9,313 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    Many local news stations tweet out status reports, so it's not all about tweets for friends or entertainment.
    Also, there are more apps for iPhone and Android to help stay connected with status for things like the OPM.gov site. Android and iPhone both have apps that contact you immediately. BB doesn't.
    It's not all about games. Some apps are quite practical but are not available on BB.

BB's outstanding advantage is BBM.
    At least BlackBerrys have FEMA (The Federal Emergency Management Agency recently released an app FEMA, just in time to survive #HurricaneSandy - BlackBerry Empire).

Ok, I admit, I wanted a reason to raise 2 thumbs for your AVI !
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    Stewartj1 likes this.

Ever seen an iphone trying for 5 minutes to open an email on GPRS?

I see it all the time on my friend's iphones.

Now imagine in an emergency.

Your friend's iPhone has an issue. My iPhone opens an email instantly.

However, in a disaster, I've always resorted to voice, bbm, What'sApp, iMessage, or plain old SMS. Of all, BBM is the most reliable due to BB's smalldata packets finding their way through.
    Thanked by 2:
    reeneebob (11-04-2012) 
    Stewartj1 and Superfly_FR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj1 View Post
    That's a good point bellfastdispatcher. Other companies may well have just dumped the back log and moved on.

If I'm not mistaken, when iMessage goes down the messages are lost. If anyone knows for sure if that's correct or not please advise.

iMessage was lost only during the iMessage outage. I didn't lose one single iMessage during the derecho or Sandy, they just arrived late.
    Thanked by:
    Stewartj1 (11-04-2012) 

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    At least BlackBerrys have FEMA (The Federal Emergency Management Agency recently released an app FEMA, just in time to survive #HurricaneSandy - BlackBerry Empire).

Ok, I admit, I wanted a reason to raise 2 thumbs for your AVI !
    This is true. FEMA also uses BB on the ground. THAT I can also attest to first hand.

Glad you like my AVI!!!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

Your friend's iPhone has an issue. My iPhone opens an email instantly.

However, in a disaster, I've always resorted to voice, bbm, What'sApp, iMessage, or plain old SMS. Of all, BBM is the most reliable due to BB's smalldata packets finding their way through.
    Nothing wrong with his phone, it works fine on 3g or wifi, on gprs everything takes forever, even the browser times out after 1 minute and it can't load any bigger webpages.

He's on giffgaff networks that works on O2 uk

Nothing wrong with his phone, it works fine on 3g or wifi, on gprs everything takes forever, even the browser times out after 1 minute and it can't load any bigger webpages.

He's on giffgaff networks that works on O2 uk
    Can't explain. I have no issue opening emails on my 4S running OS6, either on WiFi or on the network.

PIN
    27F48177

Can't explain. I have no issue opening emails on my 4S running OS6, either on WiFi or on the network.
    Q, what part of GPRS don't you get? I said it works fine on 3G and wifi

Q, what part of GPRS don't you get? I said it works fine on 3G and wifi
    What part of "on the network" don't YOU get?

PIN
    27F48177

What part of "on the network" don't YOU get?
    A network can be gprs, edge, 3g, hspa, hspa+

Are you ever on gprs?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

There is a common misconception here. That people think blackberry is superior because they are magical or because the phone in itself is superior, which is wrong. The only reason why they succeed in data handling during emergencies or peak hours is because they own/license the NOCs or server framework that AT&T uses. For which im grateful they do.

Even though they share the cell towers for data with countless of other phones, BIS data does not go directly through AT&T "normal" servers. Basically, android and iOS share the same data routing, AT&T's own servers. While BIS has separate servers to handle blackberry data. Its not because its blackberry, its because they are private. If apple or google decide to set up their own server framework for data, they would each unload AT&T "normal" servers, and they would work fine during emergencies. The amount of users using the normal AT&T servers during peak hours is much much greater compared to the amount of users using blackberry NOCs, simply because its a private separate service, hence why you need a blackberry plan, and not a regular smartphone plan.

Its not that the other OSes or phones have flaws and they can't connect, they are perfectly fine, is the network that does not work during emergencies. Hence, Apple, Google, RIM, Nokia, Samsung, ASUS, HTC have 0 relation to AT&T failing servers. Blackberry gets the upper hand because of their own NOCs.

I guess that's too much to handle when people are blind fanatics, but oh well...

What I still do not understand are the claims that blackberrys get better voice reception, because blackberrys use exactly the same towers and lines for voice as the rest of all the other phone brands, BIS only applies to data, not voice. A few posts ago someone even claimed that because of BIS compression blackberrys got better signal, when compression has absolutely nothing to do with signal strength or voice quality, people just throw irrelevant things to try to prove a point.

All that advantage goes to crap when you have a rooted international version of an android phone, you can connect to BIS and use it as a VPN/proxy/middleman with AT&T, since it cant detect the correct phone ;D
    Last edited by nms64; 11-04-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,335 Global Posts

We had no signal and still have spotty signal. It doesn't matter what phone you have if you have no signal. My Pearl had no connectivity & neither did my Vivid.
    (AT&T)Nokia 5110(2001)-->(Cingular)Nokia 6102i (2007)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Pearl 8120 (2008)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Bold 9700(2010)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2010)--> (Sprint) HTC Evo 4G White (2011)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2011)--> (AT&T) HTC Inspire 4G (2011)(AT&T)HTC Vivid (2012)-->(Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S III White
    ~K Bear~
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Best Smartphone in Emergency

Regarding routing, how could I tell from a traceroute that I am going over a private RIM network. BTW, I am on T-mobile, so is this for ATT only.

Regarding touch screens, I have a T-mob G2 that I use for interfacing to a satellite messenger. I can tell you first hand touch screens are just terrible outdoors. If you have the least bit of moisture on your finger, forget it. (Hiking outdoors will get some perspiration from your hands, plus there is residual sunscreen.) The G2 has a keypad too, but it is terrible. Unfortunately the satellite messenger doesn't have a blackberry app.

Regarding the flashlight on the iphone, it sucks on the 3GS, 4, and 4s. I don't know anyone with an iphone 5. Most iphone owners I know have gone Android.

Regarding imessage versus BBM, BBM goes to a device. If someone has a phone and Playbook, they have separate PINs. Imessage tries to abstract this a bit and messages the customer, not the device. That is how they manage to send messages to the wrong person so often. The database gets messed up or something to that effect.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
    My 9810 gets great battery life. I charge every night but am never below 60-70% when I do. And, with an extra battery I can swap out, I'm good for the long haul.
    I have no idea how you guys carry two batteries around. That's cumbersome...how do you charge the second one?

Global Posts
    9,313 Global Posts
    PIN

Please welcome our winner of the month to US gov agencies !
    Hello iOs, bye-bye iTunes (basically: enjoy your $500 feature phone).

Not One Microsoft Product on Kaspersky's Top 10 Vulnerabilities List

PIN
    27F48177

Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post
    I have no idea how you guys carry two batteries around. That's cumbersome...how do you charge the second one?
    The JM-1 battery is so small you could easily keep two in your wallet. I charge mine with a cheap battery charger/decoder that came with a gold battery a while ago. I don't use that battery anymore. You can get cheap battery chargers on ebay and just use your normal charger with it.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    Banned

..and for those who think i'm exaggerating with my battery life complaints

Best Smartphone in Emergency-battery2.jpg

Best Smartphone in Emergency-battery1.jpg

And this is what RIM has reduced me to..to ensure my smartphone lasts a day of use. 1800mah external battery pack.
    Best Smartphone in Emergency-bold-9900-battey-pack.jpg

Not such a slim phone anymore
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Best Smartphone in Emergency

Rim sells an external charger. I'm not really sure it is worth messing with ebay on something so cheap. I got mine right off the Crackberry website. I figured might as well feed the piggy bank.

The external charger can hold one extra battery, though it would rattle. If I were designing it, i would have made a second slot to snap the battery into.

The external charge needs a usb connection for the actual charging source. It has a LED on it to indicate the charge cycle is finished.

Battery life depends a lot on how close you are to a tower. For years now, phones have adjusted TX power on the fly. If you have poor reception, expect poorer operating time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    qbnkelt likes this.

Global Posts
    9,313 Global Posts
    PIN

This is a pain killer. Depending of my needs, I take the battery (in my wallet) and/or the charger (for in-car use) ... and I'm the "king of the world" safe.
    BlackBerry J-Series Extra Battery Charger Bundle for Bold 9930, Bold 9900, Bold 9790, Curve 9380, Torch 9850, Torch 9860 | BlackBerry Battery (hey, Kevin, can I get commissioned for this ? lol)

P.S: note my car (QNX powered btw) has settings that allow me to manage accessories power timeout so that I can leave the charger operating for an hour after I leave the car. So cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Smartphone in Emergency-8789.jpg  
    Banned

This is a pain killer. Depending of my needs, I take the battery (in my wallet) and/or the charger (for in-car use) ... and I'm the "king of the world" safe.
    BlackBerry J-Series Extra Battery Charger Bundle for Bold 9930, Bold 9900, Bold 9790, Curve 9380, Torch 9850, Torch 9860 | BlackBerry Battery (hey, Kevin, can I get commissioned for this ? lol)

P.S: note my car (QNX powered btw) has settings that allow me to manage accessories power timeout so that I can leave the charger operating for an hour after I leave the car. So cool.
    Ok, this looks really interesting. Why am I just seeing this?

I should buy one of those...
    Superfly_FR likes this.

Global Posts
    9,313 Global Posts
    PIN

Ok, this looks really interesting. Why am I just seeing this?

I should buy one of those...
    Let's talk "usage": with this charger, I'm litterally never charging my 9900. I don't bother (except when I want to sync/tranfer files). I swap the battery. It's a "get your coat on" operation. I'm not even looking at my battery level; I quit the office/home ? I swap (and eventually keep the former in my pocket) and I'm 100% in 2 minutes. That simple.
    Banned

Let's talk "usage": with this charger, I'm litterally never charging my 9900. I don't bother (except when I want to sync/tranfer files). I swap the battery. It's a "get your coat on" operation. I'm not even looking at my battery level; I quit the office/home ? I swap (and eventually keep the former in my pocket) and I'm 100% in 2 minutes. That simple.
    This just looks brilliant. I'd always envisioned the extra battery thingy as being some bulky stuff you have to carry around. I could see myself charging both all night, then putting the extra battery in my wallet and then swapping it in when the primary goes down. Plus the reboot cycle to replace the battery should help my phone run much better.

To be fair, this photo below is probably why my battery life isn't that rosy

Best Smartphone in Emergency-contacts.jpg
    Superfly_FR likes this.

Global Posts
    9,313 Global Posts
    PIN

This just looks brilliant. I'd always envisioned the extra battery thingy as being some bulky stuff you have to carry around. I could see myself charging both all night, then putting the extra battery in my wallet and then swapping it in when the primary goes down. Plus the reboot cycle to replace the battery should help my phone run much better.

To be fair, this photo below is probably why my battery life isn't that rosy
    lol you probably need this :
    Best Smartphone in Emergency-capture.png
    kbz1960 likes this.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast