Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    71,246 Global Posts

Default Re: Best Smartphone in Emergency

Reminds me I need to update my emergency stuff.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,018 Global Posts

It looks to me like BlackBerry wins hands down.

Battery: Since there are portable battery packs for all phones, this category is a wash at best.

Apple Abilities: All 3 platforms have good workable social media apps. Apple's tend to be prettier, but during an emergency, who cares?

Voice Signal: if your phone can not pull in a usable signal then all other considerations are moot and this is where BlackBerry shines. I can't tell you how many times I've had a clear voice signal while my Apple totting friends have had zero signal and couldn't even text. Since networks tend to be heavily congested during and after a disaster BlackBerry's superior data compression will allow you a more reliable connection than their data hogging competitors.
    Z10
    PlayBook 64
    Bold 9900
    Torch 9800 - retired

Global Posts
    10,358 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj1 View Post
    It looks to me like BlackBerry wins hands down.

Battery: Since there are portable battery packs for all phones, this category is a wash at best.

Apple Abilities: All 3 platforms have good workable social media apps. Apple's tend to be prettier, but during an emergency, who cares?

Voice Signal: if your phone can not pull in a usable signal then all other considerations are moot and this is where BlackBerry shines. I can't tell you how many times I've had a clear voice signal while my Apple totting friends have had zero signal and couldn't even text. Since networks tend to be heavily congested during and after a disaster BlackBerry's superior data compression will allow you a more reliable connection than their data hogging competitors.
    +1
    just add RIM network for carrier interoperability and congestion workaround.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares

One of the reasons why BlackBerries were still useable during 9/11 were due to them running on the mobitex network. They were a very different device back in the day, more like a pager with text capabilities than the smartphone we know today. None of the current BlackBerries run on this network.

Learning the lessons of 9/11 - FT.com

From personal experience, I can say BlackBerries (and Motorolas) tend to get and hold a signal better in fringe areas than others. But if the actual cellular network is down, it's not going to matter. The BlackBerry depends on a data network (either carrier or wifi) to connect to the BIS or BES, without it you're hooped like the rest off 'em, it won't magically transform into a 2 way radio when no network is available.
    Retired: 8703, 8130, 8330, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPhone 5s, iPad mini retina
    elibohnert likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

Ever seen an iphone trying for 5 minutes to open an email on GPRS?

I see it all the time on my friend's iphones.

Now imagine in an emergency.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,018 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry Guy View Post
    One of the reasons why BlackBerries were still useable during 9/11 were due to them running on the mobitex network. They were a very different device back in the day, more like a pager with text capabilities than the smartphone we know today. None of the current BlackBerries run on this network.

Learning the lessons of 9/11 - FT.com

From personal experience, I can say BlackBerries (and Motorolas) tend to get and hold a signal better in fringe areas than others. But if the actual cellular network is down, it's not going to matter. The BlackBerry depends on a data network (either carrier or wifi) to connect to the BIS or BES, without it you're hooped like the rest off 'em, it won't magically transform into a 2 way radio when no network is available.
    That's all true, BUT when there is a weak signal (perhaps from a distant tower) a BB or Motorola is far more likely to snag it than other devices.

If the signal is strong you can bet the network will be swamped. I have been in that situation numerous times, and while I could neither call nor text due to the congestion, my BBM's and email would get through (sometimes instantly, sometimes after 10 or 15 min) while everyone else was dead in the water.
    Z10
    PlayBook 64
    Bold 9900
    Torch 9800 - retired
    Superfly_FR likes this.

Global Posts
    6,233 Global Posts

This has been discussed here before by people much smarter than I am.

When it comes to cellular service - if the service is down, or overloaded there isn't much difference between a BB and any other manufacture. Both my STORM and 9650 are much worse then some basic phones that I've owned picking up reception at home. This is going to be dependent upon the reception capabilities of different devices under any conditions. And from what I've seen in JD Powers comparisons BB is not at the top of that list.

When it comes to Data - a BB does have an advantage when using BBM only when there is service available, because it will continue to try and send the message even if it can not connect right away. But the problem is you'll need to know someone with a BB to communicate to... As for Email or using regular data, while RIM has their own network your phone need to connect to it using your carrier 1st. So no carrier, no RIM network.

You also need to keep in mind that cell towers require power to operate - if you loose power so will they, and their emergency backup is going to limited to IF the natural gas supply is still working or how much diesel/propane is in the tank (normally only 24-36 hrs). So even if your phone works right after a disaster, it might not work the next day.

As for spare batteries, someone said something about having four or five spares. For the same money you could buy one of those emergency charging stations that you wind a crank to charge your cell phones and OTHER devices.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    13,123 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scalemaster34 View Post
    This has been discussed here before by people much smarter than I am.

When it comes to cellular service - if the service is down, or overloaded there isn't much difference between a BB and any other manufacture. Both my STORM and 9650 are much worse then some basic phones that I've owned picking up reception at home. This is going to be dependent upon the reception capabilities of different devices under any conditions. And from what I've seen in JD Powers comparisons BB is not at the top of that list.

When it comes to Data - a BB does have an advantage when using BBM only when there is service available, because it will continue to try and send the message even if it can not connect right away. But the problem is you'll need to know someone with a BB to communicate to... As for Email or using regular data, while RIM has their own network your phone need to connect to it using your carrier 1st. So no carrier, no RIM network.

You also need to keep in mind that cell towers require power to operate - if you loose power so will they, and their emergency backup is going to limited to IF the natural gas supply is still working or how much diesel/propane is in the tank (normally only 24-36 hrs). So even if your phone works right after a disaster, it might not work the next day.

As for spare batteries, someone said something about having four or five spares. For the same money you could buy one of those emergency charging stations that you wind a crank to charge your cell phones and OTHER devices.
    Good stuff. I admit that I never really thought of cell towers going out after a while.
    CrackBerry Master

Default Best Smartphone in Emergency

It should be noted that you while you can put your simcard into any phone supported by your carrier, the data services will not work. At least that is the case with T-Mobile. Your service is set up for BIS, and you can't use BIS unless you have a Blackberry. Voice is not an issue. For T-Mobile, you can call them and they will change their setting so that say an Android phone could use data.

Regarding those portable power packs, they don't work well. Most phones run their transmitter right off the battery to get the lowest power supply source impedance possible. The portable pack is usually 2 AA cells run through a boost converter to get 5V on the USB port, which in turn charges the internal battery. So the effective source impedance of the power supply to the transmitter is that of the barely charged internal battery when you use the external battery pack. That is to say, the transmitter cannot run from the USB power input.

If you didn't follow the technical jargon, here is a real life example of what I was trying to explain. Say you "kill" the battery in your Blackberry, then plug it into the charger. You can't use the "radio" (transmitter) right away because the internal battery needs more charging. The phone will display a message to that effect. Thus I consider any phone with a captive battery to be seriously crippled for emergency use.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Stewartj1 and thecsman like this.
    CrackBerry Master

BTW, Apple's infamous iMessage is performing poorly again.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...ssage-outages/

The thing with BIS is it fails so rarely that when it does go down, it IS news.

Stewartj1 and Mr_Comet like this.

Global Posts
    7,571 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    So let's see what the argument is.... Blackberry is the best smartphone because it performed well during Katrina and 9/11. During those events the poor performance of iPhone and Android should be forgiven considering they had to get to those events via time machine and that effected their circuitry somewhat.

The rest of the lady's comments about Haiti and Japan are heresay, and heresay from an upper echelon RIM employee to boot. What do you expect her to say? That Blackberry was worse?
    The DC earthquake showed the same thing. Hurricane Sandy is showing the same thing. BlackBerry and the BIS/NOC compression, and the fact it was designed to work reliably on unreliable networks, makes it a superior communication device when higher than normal SMS and voice traffic is jamming the voice networks, and data network is there but being hammered too. SMS is not data and doesn't use the data network. It uses free space in the voice networks control channels to operate so higher than capacity voice or SMS traffic severely degrades both!
    Stewartj1 and Superfly_FR like this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    PIN
    2151F248

March 20th this year in Mexico we have a 7.8 earthquake, sms and voice dont work, the only thing realaible was BBM, droids and iphone even with data reception dont work. From this time, in my office and family, most of then have BB, maybe basic (curve) but working in case of a emergency.

I think, when BB10 como to light, will be a All-In-One device.
    Live Long and Prosper!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,018 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gariac View Post

iMessage Suffering More Outages, Performance Issues | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

No doubt Apple has a crack team of experts figuring out how to deflect the blame for their failure onto their customers or ANYONE else rather than man-up and face the music.
    Last edited by stewartj1; 11-03-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    Z10
    PlayBook 64
    Bold 9900
    Torch 9800 - retired

Global Posts
    7,571 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj1 View Post
    No doubt Apple has a cracks team of experts figuring out how to deflect the blame for their failure onto their customers or ANYONE else rather than man-up and face the music.
    Maybe they will declare that iMessage is still beta and you can't expect it to be reliable yet
    Thanked by:
    DrBit2011 (11-04-2012) 
    DrBit2011 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

uhhh. they forgot to mention that blackberries have swappable batteries, or at least didn't explicitly mention it.

also - blackberry can do social media just as good as the other platforms.

plus... blackberries have FAR SUPERIOR flashlights to iphone. not sure about androids (would probably depend on the model), but the my bb9700 and bb9810 have amazing flashlights compared to iphone. in fact, i'm hoping this is something they'll keep on bb10s. use the same flash!
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,579 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalman101 View Post
    In a unexpected emergency, BB has advantage with better battery life and better signal reception.

So in a planned/programmed emergency, android and iphones have advantage if you bring along some type of quick battery chargers... So you can tweet... What? I think that these system are better if you wish to relax bit so you play games. Than again, you will run out of battery.

--

Best choice is bb, with better 'native' battery life and better signal reception. And, I would also consider one other app, the Bible.
    I have NEVER used any phone in my life with the abysmal battery life of all the OS7 devices i've used. This sentiment is shared by hundreds of people I know who use these devices, as well as informal customer surveys.

My first BB was a 9700. I remember being AMAZED by the very excellent battery life. Once, BBs were known for their excellent battery lives...this is no longer really true with the 9900, for example.

PIN
    27F48177

Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post
    I have NEVER used any phone in my life with the abysmal battery life of all the OS7 devices i've used. This sentiment is shared by hundreds of people I know who use these devices, as well as informal customer surveys.

My first BB was a 9700. I remember being AMAZED by the very excellent battery life. Once, BBs were known for their excellent battery lives...this is no longer really true with the 9900, for example.
    They have improved a lot with OS updates.
    My wife gets 2+ days regularly out of her 9790.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts

I heard a story of a father and son who went skiing and the father had crashed really bad by running into something and was badly hurt. And the son had a touchscreen phone to try and call for help and couldn't type on the touchscreen because his fingers were very cold and the touchscreen didn't register them so the phone was useless..

That is one main reason I like my Bold 9930 is because of the keyboard, trackpad and buttons! You always know what you are typing and it is always reliable!

Global Posts
    6,610 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know

Quote Originally Posted by gariac View Post

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...ssage-outages/

Again, for what seems like the billionth time, iMessage fails and it gets sent as a text. BiS fails and BBM messages don't.

Hence why iMessage dropping is a pain but not the end of the world.

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2

With all this emergency talk, we are assuming that the BIS is still up and running. But its all or nothing approach is its greatest strength and weakness. If for some reason BIS is also out of commission during an emergency, a BlackBerry will not be able to pull down data even if it can get a signal.

Global Posts
    10,358 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

With all this emergency talk, we are assuming that the BIS is still up and running. But its all or nothing approach is its greatest strength and weakness. If for some reason BIS is also out of commission during an emergency, a BlackBerry will not be able to pull down data even if it can get a signal.
    BIS is a distributed system built with interoperability and fail-over. That's its strength, both in normal and emergency situations. That's how it can get rid of carriers network congestions.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    Stewartj1 and alan510 like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,018 Global Posts

U
    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    Again, for what seems like the billionth time, iMessage fails and it gets sent as a text. BiS fails and BBM messages don't.

Hence why iMessage dropping is a pain but not the end of the world.

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    1- in the emergency scenario were discussing its likely the networks will be overloaded so text are unlikely to get through but for myriad rasons its likely a BBM/PIN will.

2- if the networks are NOT overloaded and BBM goes down the sender knows immediately that their message has not gone through so can then revert to sms since BlackBerry's do both.

3- I've been on BBM since about 2003 and can count on one hand the number if times BBM has been down which, ironically, is about the same number if times iMessage has been down in the past couple if months.

4- having served over 5 years on a Disaster Response Team and 7.5 years as a firefighter I can tell you from many personal experiences that BlackBerry is THE way to go. There have been many situations where NOTHING has worked but if SOMETHING is working there's a 99% chance its a BlackBerry.
    Last edited by stewartj1; 11-04-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Z10
    PlayBook 64
    Bold 9900
    Torch 9800 - retired
    alan510 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    BIS is a distributed system built with interoperability and fail-over. That's its strength, both in normal and emergency situations. That's how it can get rid of carriers network congestions.
    Indeed, but we all remember what happened last year when the cascading outage hit due to the failure of the fail safes. The probability of that happening during an emergency is probably slim, but at the same time, stranger things have happened and it can't be discounted completely. Just a little food for thought, that's all.
    Thanked by:
    Superfly_FR (11-04-2012) 
    Stewartj1 likes this.

PIN
    27F48177

Indeed, but we all remember what happened last year when the cascading outage hit due to the failure of the fail safes. The probability of that happening during an emergency is probably slim, but at the same time, stranger things have happened and it can't be discounted completely. Just a little food for thought, that's all.
    The outage lasted longer then it should've because RIM insisted on delivering all the data, all emails, bbms etc that created a huge backlog. They have to be commended for it in a way, nothing was lost during the outage.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,670 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post

My 9810 gets great battery life. I charge every night but am never below 60-70% when I do. And, with an extra battery I can swap out, I'm good for the long haul.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast